Author Topic: Model M causes repeating/sticky keys and browser to hang  (Read 1208 times)

Offline clay

Model M causes repeating/sticky keys and browser to hang
« on: Tue, 25 July 2023, 06:52:22 »
I currently use a 1987 1391401 with a SDL cable and Soarer's converter. The keys tend to repeattttttttttt and stickkkkkkkkk when i start typing non stop for a few seconds. The keys do not stick physically though. Not only do the keys stick a lot but the keyboard also jeopardizes my mouse and internet browser. My PC would no longer register any left click, and my browser would hang in a way that I could not do anything to change tab or even quit it.

Unplugging and plugging again will only solve the problem temporarily, and the repeating keys would show up again. Not sure if this has anything to do with the hardware of my Model M, or if it's a defect in the converter.

Offline Mandan

Re: Model M causes repeating/sticky keys and browser to hang
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 25 July 2023, 21:02:51 »
Time to take it apart for a thorough cleaning.

Being an M, you'll have to do either the screw or bolt mod to get it back together.

I've only done one M so far, but a remarkable amount of crud had made it down among the flippers.

Offline clay

Re: Model M causes repeating/sticky keys and browser to hang
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 26 July 2023, 00:24:41 »
My M has already been bolt modded in the past, however I haven't checked for any crud yet. Thanks for this!