Author Topic: hello from California  (Read 2091 times)

Offline darkviking

hello from California
« on: Fri, 19 October 2018, 14:41:06 »
Hello~

I am a newbie to mechanical keyboard DIY. I learned about these and found this forum recently, and wanted to start a project as well. While i am thinking about this, my office-use Microsoft 4000 ergonomics keyboard was killed by a cup of coffee recently, I always like the comfort when using it, but I don't like the  membrane key. So I just came up a bold idea, modify it into a mechanical keyboard.

At first, this idea was killed immediately, because there would not be a PCB to fit in the case, because of the curve shape and inconsistent switch hole distance. But after read the post from cribbit about hand wiring, I saw hope again.

For the switch and key caps, I am thinking modifying the top plate of MS 4000 keyboard by drilling and cutting to put switch into it. And try to keep the current key caps set, it seems possible to mount on the top of MX switch after some modification.

Kept digging in, I met new problem. it's controller. First, i don't know how to wire those pins, Second the Microsoft 4000 got 108 keys at least, I need 2 or even three Pro Micro controller to do that. I know I can link 2 Pro Micro with an audio cable, but how about three. Can I make two individual keyboard set internal the case and use an USB hub to link two keyboards to my computer? Or is there a way utilizing the old membrane controller?

Can someone help me with these questions?
1. Is there a guide about wire controller? I am not a tech guy, so may need tutorial from ground about controller wiring.
2. What is the best option for I/O allocation, two or three controllers? or individual keyboards combining by USB hub? will the old MS 4000 controller help?

Thank you