Author Topic: Key-ed Up Labs and their Customer Service  (Read 20587 times)

Offline ThoughtArtist

Re: Key-ed Up Labs and their Customer Service
« Reply #50 on: Sun, 17 April 2016, 12:50:58 »
Do you have 1080p highlighted via the gear icon?

Show Image

Yes, but honestly, it may be my mbp 2010 lacking. 60fps is not smooth for me. So it may be that the algorithm tries to interlace between frames that are skipped.

I gotcha. Oh well. I am happy having learned so much in the process. I need to record my TF2 MGE 1v1s and pub games... make a highlight reel :)

I thought the video was good, the keys sound like "marbles" which is really nice (if that makes sense). Only thing is maybe better sound isolation. The shot looked good and isolated with the black background, but hearing traffic and such kind of made it harder to focus on the keyboard sound.

However, I will say that I have very sensitive hearing, so I may just be anal about it. I would probably not be totally please unless the room was sound proofed and professional mics were used, as in a music studio. ;)

Damm you hearing good man!

I know... sometimes it makes me a bit crazy to hear things so well, but it's better than bad hearing. I tried clicky switches but it was too much feedback for me.

My hearing is probably not as good as yours, but my hearing (all my senses actually) are really SENSITIVE. Their are particular pitches / frequencies that really irritate me to the bone, like the pitch of blue switches.

The clickiness like in the Blues just annoys me as well. It gets in the way of the sounds that I actually like.

I thought I would like clicky Alps, but, no. Not really too loud, per se, just annoying.
« Last Edit: Sun, 17 April 2016, 12:52:51 by ThoughtArtist »

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #51 on: Sun, 17 April 2016, 13:02:13 »
My hearing is probably not as good as yours, but my hearing (all my senses actually) are really SENSITIVE. Their are particular pitches / frequencies that really irritate me to the bone, like the pitch of blue switches.

The clickiness like in the Blues just annoys me as well. It gets in the way of the sounds that I actually like.

I thought I would like clicky Alps, but, no. Not really too loud, per se, just annoying.

Are clicky Alps similar to Blues in sound?
MJT2 Browns o-rings - HHKB White - ES-87 Smoke White Clears - 87UB 55g

Offline ThoughtArtist

« Reply #52 on: Sun, 17 April 2016, 13:10:59 »

I'm not sure exactly, but I got some virgin Complicated White Alps that sound pretty subtle in their click, but it still annoys me. It may be a bit deeper sounding than MX Blue.

I do love some electronic music and generally crazy sounds at times, so it actually surprised me a bit that I didn't like clicky switches.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #53 on: Sun, 17 April 2016, 15:02:19 »

I'm not sure exactly, but I got some virgin Complicated White Alps that sound pretty subtle in their click, but it still annoys me. It may be a bit deeper sounding than MX Blue.

I do love some electronic music and generally crazy sounds at times, so it actually surprised me a bit that I didn't like clicky switches.

Yeah most clicky boards have a high pitched sound. I would like more a deep sound, but haven't found a switch / dampening whatever mod solution to get me that.

Offline ThoughtArtist

« Reply #54 on: Sun, 17 April 2016, 16:17:01 »

Yeah most clicky boards have a high pitched sound. I would like more a deep sound, but haven't found a switch / dampening whatever mod solution to get me that.

I really like the sound and feel of the linearised Black Alps Dell AT-101. It's buttery-smooth and has a satisfying lower-pitched chatter. It's very beautiful sound/feel to me.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #55 on: Sun, 17 April 2016, 16:27:52 »

I really like the sound and feel of the linearised Black Alps Dell AT-101. It's buttery-smooth and has a satisfying lower-pitched chatter. It's very beautiful sound/feel to me.

So there is hope :P Time to check out some videos of black alps.

Offline ThoughtArtist

« Reply #56 on: Sun, 17 April 2016, 16:49:52 »

Keep in mind the sound is changed when they are linearised since you remove the tactile leaf. Less choppy and more gentle sounding.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #57 on: Sun, 17 April 2016, 17:06:07 »

Keep in mind the sound is changed when they are linearised since you remove the tactile leaf. Less choppy and more gentle sounding.

Good to know, thanks!

Why did they do that actually? So that is what makes it simplified vs complex alps?

Offline bmilcs

• bryan | bmilcs
    • bmilcs world
« Reply #58 on: Mon, 18 April 2016, 09:43:43 »

Show Image

Yes, but honestly, it may be my mbp 2010 lacking. 60fps is not smooth for me. So it may be that the algorithm tries to interlace between frames that are skipped.

I gotcha. Oh well. I am happy having learned so much in the process. I need to record my TF2 MGE 1v1s and pub games... make a highlight reel :)

I thought the video was good, the keys sound like "marbles" which is really nice (if that makes sense). Only thing is maybe better sound isolation. The shot looked good and isolated with the black background, but hearing traffic and such kind of made it harder to focus on the keyboard sound.

However, I will say that I have very sensitive hearing, so I may just be anal about it. I would probably not be totally please unless the room was sound proofed and professional mics were used, as in a music studio. ;)

Yeah I used a few filters in Premiere, like denoise and changed the EQ settings. i've never worked w/ sound or video before so I didn't want to invest a week on a 2 min first clip lol.

TGR.JANE.V2 #40/40 <3 // TOKYO60 #1 // KBD75  #1 #2 #3 #4 // ES87  #1 #2 #3 #4 #5
INCOMPLETE  Duck Orion v3, 2 pcb black on black (might sell, pm me)  | SOUTHPAW.65

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #59 on: Mon, 18 April 2016, 09:51:34 »

Show Image

Yeah I used a few filters in Premiere, like denoise and changed the EQ settings. i've never worked w/ sound or video before so I didn't want to invest a week on a 2 min first clip lol.

It's still impressive for your first clip!

Offline TheInverseKey

• You can run but you cannot hide!
« Reply #60 on: Mon, 18 April 2016, 09:56:07 »
I have to say that I am disappointed in their QC and I got a es-87 where the whole keyboard pings.

Example below

BTW this happens on the feet and on every key stroke.

Kul ES-87 owners.
I need some additional data to determine if this is normal

1) Does your keyboard resonate with the back plate and produce a ring when you type? Would you characterize it as normal or excessive?
2) Does any type of back plate resonance occur when you flip the keyboard feet (like so -
- you might need to turn up your volume) or perform any normal action which applies force to your entire keyboard?
3) Does your board have excessive back plate resonance?

Thanks

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #61 on: Mon, 18 April 2016, 09:58:02 »
I have to say that I am disappointed in their QC and I got a es-87 where the whole keyboard pings.

Example below

Kul ES-87 owners.

1) Does your keyboard resonate with the back plate and produce a ring when you type? Would you characterize it as normal or excessive?
2) Does any type of back plate resonance occur when you flip the keyboard feet (like so -
- you might need to turn up your volume) or perform any normal action which applies force to your entire keyboard?

Thanks

Btw... I agree it's clearly audible.

Offline ThoughtArtist

« Reply #62 on: Wed, 20 April 2016, 21:05:05 »

Example below

Kul ES-87 owners.

Thanks

Btw... I agree it's clearly audible.

Honestly, mine's about the same or quieter than my other MX boards: Ducky Shine 4, Ducky One TKL (sans stabilizers), Varmilo VA87MN. I never got this extreme ping when flipping the feet out.

I think a lot of complaints are because MX Clears have inherent pinging issues due to the springs, as I hear the same pinging on my switch tester.

Anyway, I am getting a ES-87 with MX Clears (the one that was in the classifieds here). I'll be able to test side by side with my ES-87 - MX Browns and I'll be able to see (or hear) for myself. It may be that there's only so much you can do to minimize the pinging of clears, no matter what metal back-plate type board they are in.
« Last Edit: Wed, 20 April 2016, 21:35:43 by ThoughtArtist »

Offline ThoughtArtist

« Reply #63 on: Wed, 20 April 2016, 21:12:27 »

Good to know, thanks!

Why did they do that actually? So that is what makes it simplified vs complex alps?

The simplified switch just has less pieces for the contact plate and contact leaf. The tactile leaf is a separate piece. It is almost the same design as the clicky leaf, so you could actually take a clicky leaf from a White Alps switch and put it into a Black Alps switch and make it clicky. They both cause tactility, whether clicky or not.

From what I have heard, the simplified switch is actually more complicated to disassemble.

I may not be using correct terminology or descriptions though, as I am still new to Alps switches.

That being said, I like the simpler design of the MX Brown/Clear tactility. It's less noisy since it is built into the stem, and there isn't an extra metal piece flopping around in the switch. It's more like a brief speed-bump then a drawn out slope-like "chop". It's just something I prefer as it seems more nimble. I noticed the Black and White alps tactility just kind of slowed me down and was too much in the way.
« Last Edit: Wed, 20 April 2016, 23:13:13 by ThoughtArtist »

Offline ThoughtArtist

« Reply #64 on: Wed, 20 April 2016, 21:22:24 »

Show Image

I definitely liked how the shot was set up. I wish more typing vids were set up like that. Just mainly needs a quieter room with no outside noise filtering in.
« Last Edit: Wed, 20 April 2016, 21:28:00 by ThoughtArtist »

Offline bmilcs

• bryan | bmilcs
    • bmilcs world
« Reply #65 on: Thu, 21 April 2016, 09:41:53 »

Show Image

I definitely liked how the shot was set up. I wish more typing vids were set up like that. Just mainly needs a quieter room with no outside noise filtering in.

Thanks man. I am super OCD lol. I spent about 5 minutes taking the video and 10 hours learning how to edit and piece it together. Sad but true. Now that I know the ropes, I could throw something like this together quickly

Sadly, I lost my charger for my GD Nikon. I'm most likely going to have to buy another -_-

TGR.JANE.V2 #40/40 <3 // TOKYO60 #1 // KBD75  #1 #2 #3 #4 // ES87  #1 #2 #3 #4 #5
INCOMPLETE  Duck Orion v3, 2 pcb black on black (might sell, pm me)  | SOUTHPAW.65

Offline ThoughtArtist

« Reply #66 on: Thu, 21 April 2016, 18:58:41 »

Show Image

Thanks man. I am super OCD lol. I spent about 5 minutes taking the video and 10 hours learning how to edit and piece it together. Sad but true. Now that I know the ropes, I could throw something like this together quickly

Sadly, I lost my charger for my GD Nikon. I'm most likely going to have to buy another -_-

Hopefully you can find it. I've thought about doing videos, but I have so much other things to do. It's just best for me to watch others' vids and put my efforts into "static" artwork. The more keyboard vids, the merrier!

Offline bmilcs

• bryan | bmilcs
    • bmilcs world
« Reply #67 on: Fri, 22 April 2016, 14:12:39 »

Show Image

Hopefully you can find it. I've thought about doing videos, but I have so much other things to do. It's just best for me to watch others' vids and put my efforts into "static" artwork. The more keyboard vids, the merrier!

I hear ya. My life isn't exactly dull myself. My kids and wife went to sleep on a Friday night and I ended up all-nighting it to do this :)

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #68 on: Sat, 23 April 2016, 13:28:38 »
10h editing wow. Time to see whether my Nikon D7200 can make decent videos. But I don't have such a nice setup as you have. It IS more quiet around me, that's for sure.. haha :P

Offline bmilcs

• bryan | bmilcs
    • bmilcs world
« Reply #69 on: Mon, 25 April 2016, 09:29:54 »
10h editing wow. Time to see whether my Nikon D7200 can make decent videos. But I don't have such a nice setup as you have. It IS more quiet around me, that's for sure.. haha :P

Yeah I live on the busiest street in my "town".  Sucks.