Author Topic: question about soldering LED  (Read 910 times)

Offline bcredbottle

question about soldering LED
« on: Tue, 23 June 2015, 10:25:52 »
I am on the Keycool numpad drop. It has white LEDs. Can I put any LED's in there as long as they're 3mm, or is there some other compatibility consideration (e.g. resistance, color) that might affect my ability to swap in different LEDs?

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
Re: question about soldering LED
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 23 June 2015, 13:35:20 »
Different LED's do have different forward voltage drop, so they require different resistors to control the current through them. That said, though, most boards that have LED's installed use a resistor that limits the current enough for most LED's to work, although the brightness will differ.

In general, white, blue and green clear LED's have somewhat similar forward voltage drop, red and the milky type tend to have lower ones and so should use higher value resistors.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline bcredbottle

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 23 June 2015, 13:39:19 »
Different LED's do have different forward voltage drop, so they require different resistors to control the current through them. That said, though, most boards that have LED's installed use a resistor that limits the current enough for most LED's to work, although the brightness will differ.

In general, white, blue and green clear LED's have somewhat similar forward voltage drop, red and the milky type tend to have lower ones and so should use higher value resistors.

Very good to know, thank you!

Offline VoteForDavid

• Vote For David
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 23 June 2015, 23:39:15 »

Came from http://www.electronics-tutorials.ws/diode/diode_8.html but I found it through a GIS.
Jesus loves you.