Author Topic: GHpad FTW (10-Key Pad for GH60)  (Read 484475 times)

Offline madderoftime

Re: GHpad FTW (10-Key Pad for GH60)
« Reply #450 on: Wed, 02 October 2013, 23:46:17 »
Sure. Deep purple and milky white for you guys. NO more changing :P

For those of us that were slow on the draw, you're just rubbing salt into the wound now!

Show Image

This. Still nice work and I know it will be spot on right when done. Even with purple and hot pink as options.  ;D
GH60 Nevermore

Offline TheFlyingRaccoon

• HHKB Pro
  • * Maker
  • Cable maker and future engineer
« Reply #451 on: Sun, 06 October 2013, 09:09:34 »
Guess what I got in the mail today! Not the PCBs.  >:D Anyways, I appreciate everyone's patience and I will update with pics when they do arrive.
HHKB Pro 2   SmallFry Keyboard

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #452 on: Sun, 06 October 2013, 10:07:49 »
Guess what I did today? Got the cases cut. Blue, purple and milky white acrylic look so tasty. Pictures after I get some sleep :p

Offline dragonxx21

« Reply #453 on: Sun, 06 October 2013, 11:22:15 »
Guess what I did today? Got the cases cut. Blue, purple and milky white acrylic look so tasty. Pictures after I get some sleep :p

Hype
Keyboards Owned:

Realforce Topre 91 Key JIS Profile - Main
CM Quickfire Rapid Blue Switches
IBM Model M in Industrial Shell

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #454 on: Mon, 07 October 2013, 13:24:11 »
Blue and white case:
38076-0

38078-1

Notes:
- This post in general: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=48007.msg1068449#msg1068449
- So, yeah, I am not happy with how some of the engraving turned out for the bolt holes, and in the final version, when we do it, I will replace it with the method described in the post linked above. I will have a sample for that before we get to that stage.
- Red top and bottom were virtually unusable and will be cut again, this is also described int he above post.
- Due to some technical issues, the smoke case's feet came out with misaligned engraving, sorry about that ray. I ran out of acrylic in that color, otherwise I would have worked something out.
- In the final version, I need to increase the thickness of then thin acrylic wall on either sides of the usb cutout depending on how the PCB fits the case, as it is too thin and flimsy at the moment.

EDIT: the misalignment of the feet in the image above is due to me, not having aligned the feet correctly before tightening the screws.
« Last Edit: Mon, 07 October 2013, 13:34:39 by MOZ »

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #455 on: Mon, 07 October 2013, 13:28:44 »
- Due to some technical issues, the smoke case's feet came out with misaligned engraving, sorry about that ray. I ran out of acrylic in that color, otherwise I would have worked something out.

:o

how bad is it doc?

give me the bad news, I can take it.  :'(

Also how much does the acrylic cost maybe I could buy you some more  :p

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #456 on: Mon, 07 October 2013, 13:32:19 »

how bad is it doc?

We are taking about those small tiny 10mm diameter discs, I think you can replace them with rubber feet, rather than spend the money required for the acrylic.

Anyways I am done with the heavy engraving stuff, too much headache and not neat enough, "this isn't engraving, this is carving" - this is what my acrylic guy tells me.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #457 on: Mon, 07 October 2013, 13:36:01 »

how bad is it doc?

We are taking about those small tiny 10mm diameter discs, I think you can replace them with rubber feet, rather than spend the money required for the acrylic.

Anyways I am done with the heavy engraving stuff, too much headache and not neat enough, "this isn't engraving, this is carving" - this is what my acrylic guy tells me.

Oh, I'm not really concerned with the feet, I thought you meant an issue with the case :P

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #458 on: Mon, 07 October 2013, 14:03:18 »
Blue and white case:
(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

Notes:
- This post in general: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=48007.msg1068449#msg1068449
- So, yeah, I am not happy with how some of the engraving turned out for the bolt holes, and in the final version, when we do it, I will replace it with the method described in the post linked above. I will have a sample for that before we get to that stage.
- Red top and bottom were virtually unusable and will be cut again, this is also described int he above post.
- In the final version, I need to increase the thickness of then thin acrylic wall on either sides of the usb cutout depending on how the PCB fits the case, as it is too thin and flimsy at the moment.

EDIT: the misalignment of the feet in the image above is due to me, not having aligned the feet correctly before tightening the screws.

That "stand" is totally going to break off.  I prefer a simple bumpon.

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #459 on: Mon, 07 October 2013, 14:09:08 »
Any reason, you think it will break off. It is 5 layers of ~3mm acrylic bolted, I don't think it will break.

I any case, I have 8 of each color (So total of 16, so you can make the pattern of your choice and have extra just in case any snaps), such "feet-strips" packaged with every case.

Offline dragonxx21

« Reply #460 on: Mon, 07 October 2013, 16:25:30 »
Any reason, you think it will break off. It is 5 layers of ~3mm acrylic bolted, I don't think it will break.

I any case, I have 8 of each color (So total of 16, so you can make the pattern of your choice and have extra just in case any snaps), such "feet-strips" packaged with every case.

How did the purple cases turn out?
Keyboards Owned:

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #461 on: Tue, 08 October 2013, 02:35:07 »
Slight problem with the engraving for the holes, mainly the depth, otherwise, great.

Offline MKULTRA

• telling it how it is
« Reply #462 on: Tue, 08 October 2013, 09:01:57 »
So MOZ you aren't gonna do anymore acrylic cases in the future?

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #463 on: Tue, 08 October 2013, 09:03:12 »
If I didn't, I would be proving the idiot that mailed me correct and all the curse words he used would be correctly defining me. So not, I will not stop! Take that you!

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #464 on: Tue, 08 October 2013, 09:04:18 »
Slight problem with the engraving for the holes, mainly the depth, otherwise, great.

Not deep enough or what?

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #465 on: Tue, 08 October 2013, 09:14:07 »
Yeah, not deep enough and some had some misalignment of .5mm due to the slight warpage when acrylic is cut, and I should have mentioned earlier, if you have a drill you can use a 5mm drill bit to create a bigger hole and you should be set for a much cleaner look.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #466 on: Tue, 08 October 2013, 09:21:50 »
Is it possible that you could do this or did you already send the cases out? Just curious. I don't mind doing it myself.

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #467 on: Tue, 08 October 2013, 09:25:18 »
I've already packed these up, except the red one, which I need to get done again and correctly this time.

Offline Defying

• (suffer on)
« Reply #468 on: Tue, 08 October 2013, 09:26:50 »
I've already packed these up, except the red one, which I need to get done again and correctly this time.
:(

lol

Cases look great MOZ, excited. :)

Offline dragonxx21

« Reply #469 on: Tue, 08 October 2013, 09:27:21 »
So what exactly do we have to do to fix the problem? I have a drill somewhere in my home and probably a 5mm drill bit as well.
Keyboards Owned:

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #470 on: Tue, 08 October 2013, 09:30:05 »

Ok no worries!

So what exactly do we have to do to fix the problem? I have a drill somewhere in my home and probably a 5mm drill bit as well.

The way I understand it, Moz didn't build in enough tolerance to account for the acrylic warping so the holes are misaligned. So if you try and put the layers together, they may be uneven. If you take a drill with a 5mm bit and drill out (essentially reaming out a bigger hole) through all the layers, the larger hole will have enough tolerance to allow the layers to be aligned properly.

Correct me if I'm wrong Moz ^__^

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #471 on: Tue, 08 October 2013, 09:33:53 »
You wrong Cap'n. :P

The holes are aligned correctly, so the layers align well; the etched part around the holes on the top and bottom layer is not etched correctly, so the flat head screw doesn't sit in properly.

To fix this, what you need to do is take a drill or dremel with a 5mm bit, and align it so the bit's center is on the center of the screw hole and just drill through or drill half way, as that is all that is required for the screw to sit in.

And Defying, cheer up, your case would be closest to perfect :D

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #472 on: Tue, 08 October 2013, 09:35:46 »
So in other words the flat screw needs to be countersunk and there is a slight size difference between the top of the flat screw and the hole in the acrylic.

Offline Defying

• (suffer on)
« Reply #473 on: Tue, 08 October 2013, 09:38:39 »
You wrong Cap'n. :P

The holes are aligned correctly, so the layers align well; the etched part around the holes on the top and bottom layer is not etched correctly, so the flat head screw doesn't sit in properly.

To fix this, what you need to do is take a drill or dremel with a 5mm bit, and align it so the bit's center is on the center of the screw hole and just drill through or drill half way, as that is all that is required for the screw to sit in.

And Defying, cheer up, your case would be closest to perfect :D
So will I have to do this drill mod then? :P

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #474 on: Tue, 08 October 2013, 09:39:15 »
I can't tell exactly what's wrong. The way I'm reading it, there was flash from the etching process and we need to drill the holes out to clear it of the flash. Or there's no countersink. But anyways, I'm sure it's an easy fix.

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #475 on: Tue, 08 October 2013, 09:39:44 »
So in other words the flat screw needs to be countersunk and there is a slight size difference between the top of the flat screw and the hole in the acrylic.

Yes, the etching was to provide the countersinck, but it misaligned slightly and/or was not deep enough.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #476 on: Tue, 08 October 2013, 09:44:32 »

Yes, the etching was to provide the countersinck, but it misaligned slightly and/or was not deep enough.

so the blue case you posted above the screw tops are just slightly raised above the acrylic, is that what your saying is wrong?

38256-0
« Last Edit: Tue, 08 October 2013, 09:47:11 by SpAmRaY »

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #477 on: Tue, 08 October 2013, 09:47:00 »

so the blue case you posted above the screw tops are just slightly raised above the acrylic, is that what your saying is wrong?

Pretty much.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #478 on: Tue, 08 October 2013, 09:47:42 »
Meh that's not anything to sweat about. These are prototypes :P

Offline whiskytango

• Don't touch the trim
« Reply #479 on: Tue, 08 October 2013, 09:48:30 »
Is there a reason that a normal countersinking drill bit could not be used? In my mind, it seems it would be pretty simple to chase the hole with a countersinking bit if the screw doesn't fit quite right.

Either way, I am pumped about getting the acrylic. Thanks MOZ!
I stay busy with work and family these days, but I'm still around, lurking.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #480 on: Tue, 08 October 2013, 09:49:23 »
I'm with ray, I'm not really bothered by those screws. I actually kinda like the look of exposed screw heads.

And I'm sure you could just countersink it whiskytango.

Offline dragonxx21

« Reply #481 on: Tue, 08 October 2013, 09:51:22 »
So I'm confused. The problem is that the screw heads don't sit flash with the acrylic, yes? So the proposed fix is to take a 5mm still bit, center it on the hole and drill through/halfway through? If I'm understanding correctly, isn't the problem because the countersunk hole isn't deep enough? How does making the hole wider help?
Keyboards Owned:

Offline MTManiac

• can't is the cancer of happen
« Reply #482 on: Tue, 08 October 2013, 10:00:25 »
I can't believe people are freaking out about the countersink not being PERFECT on a prototype
I've had professionally made equipment with elevated bolts due to the same thing and I never cried myself to sleep over it
Besides, increasing the size of the countersink at home is a very simple mod

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #483 on: Tue, 08 October 2013, 10:05:26 »
Yeah, you could just countersink it whiskytango.

My ultimate goal from the beginning was to have the case ready once it was done on the laser cutter, so no other mechanical work needs to be done on it, like countersinking. If I had gone for post-laser countersinking hoels on the top and bottom, we would not have to bother about the exposed screw heads from the beginning and I might not have received the hate mail as well :P

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #484 on: Tue, 08 October 2013, 10:10:04 »
Whoever that is was an idiot, don't worry about that bro.

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #485 on: Tue, 08 October 2013, 10:13:46 »
I'm not. Just going for perfection, and looks like that is what is similar between me and my hater.

Offline dragonxx21

« Reply #486 on: Tue, 08 October 2013, 10:33:35 »
I can't believe people are freaking out about the countersink not being PERFECT on a prototype
I've had professionally made equipment with elevated bolts due to the same thing and I never cried myself to sleep over it
I don't really see anyone freaking out, or crying. I'm simply asking about the proposed fix, as I really have no idea how to do it.
Keyboards Owned:

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #487 on: Tue, 08 October 2013, 10:36:55 »
I don't really see anyone freaking out, or crying. I'm simply asking about the proposed fix, as I really have no idea how to do it.

His post was in reference to the hate mail I received.

Offline dragonxx21

« Reply #488 on: Tue, 08 October 2013, 10:38:10 »

His post was in reference to the hate mail I received.
Ah okay then. That clears things up.
Keyboards Owned:

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #489 on: Tue, 08 October 2013, 10:40:29 »
Anyways so Moz is cool and these cases are going to be awesome!

Offline dragonxx21

« Reply #490 on: Tue, 08 October 2013, 10:43:22 »
Yeah, I can't wait. Thanks again Moz for the amazing cases.
Keyboards Owned:

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #491 on: Tue, 08 October 2013, 10:44:30 »

:P

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #492 on: Tue, 08 October 2013, 13:33:51 »
Just saw the red one with screw heads exposed and I actually like it that way (as others have pointed out as well).  It adds character.

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #493 on: Fri, 11 October 2013, 06:59:43 »
Case shipped to Defying.

I was unable to ship rest of the cases to TFR as the post office near my house refused, since they are a small setup, they can't take that big a package. :(

Will send it from the larger post office tomorrow morning.

@spamray, your items will also be shipped tomorrow as I couldn't send it for the exact same reason mentioned above.

Offline dragonxx21

« Reply #494 on: Fri, 11 October 2013, 11:07:08 »
So is everything starting to get shipped out?
Keyboards Owned:

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #495 on: Fri, 11 October 2013, 11:23:57 »
PCB were shipped out some time ago from China.

I will ship the cases tomorrow morning, and last time they reached him in 10 days, hopefully it takes as little time this time too.

We are yet to place the order on DigiKey, which would take 3 days only, so we'll be ordering that sometime later next week.

Offline Defying

• (suffer on)
« Reply #496 on: Fri, 11 October 2013, 11:33:34 »
.....I'm special.  ;D

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #497 on: Fri, 11 October 2013, 11:38:15 »
Yeah, Defying's case was shipped separately because, the laser guy really messed up the red, so I had to get it done again, and this time I got it done right. By this time I had packed up all the other cases ready to ship.

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #498 on: Fri, 11 October 2013, 13:27:27 »
And this is how I wanted it to look all along.

Offline JPG

• Model F is my new passion!
« Reply #499 on: Fri, 11 October 2013, 13:31:28 »
That's amazing.

Can't wait for GB!
IBM F122, IBM XT F X2, IBM AT F (all Soarer converted), Filco Camo TKL Browns