Author Topic: [GB] GMK DOOM  (Read 48815 times)

Offline RSC

Re: [GB] GMK DOOM
« Reply #50 on: Sat, 28 April 2018, 05:02:38 »
SA sets work in very different fashion from from GMK ones. I don't think that changing the base kit or adding more extra kits would help the GB.

Offline razor_blade

« Reply #51 on: Sun, 29 April 2018, 07:00:19 »
Just joined, I'm super excited about the simple beauty of this set.

Offline CAPS UNLOCKED

• capsunlocked
« Reply #52 on: Sun, 29 April 2018, 07:59:51 »
Just joined, I'm super excited about the simple beauty of this set.

Thank you for the support!

Offline TheMilkmen

« Reply #53 on: Sun, 29 April 2018, 09:12:42 »
Reposting my thoughts from Reddit:

Have you considered pulling the GB and re-running with better/different marketing and different kits? That worked out really well for SA By the Sea, which was objectively improved after its relaunch.

Breaking out a separate orange accent kit might be nice. It's a bit "in between ideas" right now.

Also the name leads people to think it's about Doom the game, and they probably come away disappointed (as opposed to Black-on-black).

GMK Doomsday might have been a more distinct name.

https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/8eaohb/buying_gmk_doom_update/dxuk1nt/

Well the idea about renaming it to something like doomsday is a bit of a misnomer then since it's named after MF DOOM so calling it anything other than GMK DOOM would be a bit off. Though I see where the confusion comes from, but then just read the description of the set and all's solved.

Offline CAPS UNLOCKED

• capsunlocked
« Reply #54 on: Mon, 30 April 2018, 07:13:09 »
The GB for GMK DOOM ends today!

capsunlocked, Cartel and zFrontier are close to agreeing a deal to purchase the amount of sets that are required to help GMK DOOM reach MOQ. If you are interested in this set, please join today!

Offline tex_live_utility

• MX brown apologist
    • twitch.tv/salt_rock_lamp
« Reply #55 on: Mon, 30 April 2018, 09:10:19 »

Have you considered pulling the GB and re-running with better/different marketing and different kits? That worked out really well for SA By the Sea, which was objectively improved after its relaunch.

Breaking out a separate orange accent kit might be nice. It's a bit "in between ideas" right now.

Also the name leads people to think it's about Doom the game, and they probably come away disappointed (as opposed to Black-on-black).

https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/8eaohb/buying_gmk_doom_update/dxuk1nt/

Well the idea about renaming it to something like doomsday is a bit of a misnomer then since it's named after MF DOOM so calling it anything other than GMK DOOM would be a bit off. Though I see where the confusion comes from, but then just read the description of the set and all's solved.

I beg to differ:

Discord: salt rock lamp#0679 | Reddit: /u/nerdponx | Deskthority: autoload -Uz | Keebtalk: salt_rock_lamp
Twitch: salt_rock_lamp | YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCd7YXZjilUutJ6ShZWrvQtg | Instagram: @salt_rock_keyboards

Offline Mr_BeastQuake

• Reddit
« Reply #56 on: Mon, 30 April 2018, 10:20:35 »

I beg to differ:

Show Image

That cover is not the inspiration for this set, Madvillainy is. . . also if you read the IC you will see there was a lot of discussion and decisions made to the set. Including, an accent kit. Holding up the GB to talk about it more probably wouldn't offer a significant benefit. If Cartel and zFrontier snap up sets to make MOQ, then no need.

Maybe what you are suggesting is the release of a second set with Doomsday as the inspiration.
« Last Edit: Mon, 30 April 2018, 12:28:54 by Mr_BeastQuake »

Offline RSC

« Reply #57 on: Mon, 30 April 2018, 15:29:43 »
@CAPS UNLOCKED

Any news..?

Offline tanvir175

« Reply #58 on: Mon, 30 April 2018, 15:56:31 »
@CAPS UNLOCKED

Any news..?

About what?

Offline Petch

« Reply #59 on: Mon, 30 April 2018, 16:30:14 »
Offline RSC

« Reply #60 on: Mon, 30 April 2018, 17:24:46 »
@CAPS UNLOCKED

Any news..?

About what?

About the joint venture of vendors moving forward and the production of GMK Doom being confirmed..?

Offline tanvir175

« Reply #61 on: Mon, 30 April 2018, 17:34:29 »
Ah okay, I believe they said in their reddit post today that they are finalizing details on that. It seems like it's definitely going through.

Offline TheMilkmen

« Reply #62 on: Mon, 30 April 2018, 18:11:27 »

I beg to differ:

Show Image

oh **** yeah forgot about that album, checkmate here my friend you're correct

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
« Reply #63 on: Fri, 04 May 2018, 01:46:40 »
So what is going on with this?

Offline RSC

« Reply #64 on: Tue, 08 May 2018, 01:27:43 »
Can we get an update? It would be good to know if this is moving forward or not.

Offline 537Z3R

« Reply #65 on: Tue, 08 May 2018, 02:19:46 »
Is this happening?

Offline CAPS UNLOCKED

• capsunlocked
« Reply #66 on: Tue, 08 May 2018, 02:28:53 »
Hey Everyone!

There were 80 confirmed orders for GMK DOOM, which is 70 orders short of the MOQ.

Myself, zFrontier and Cartel are close to purchasing the extra sets required for this to hit MOQ.

We have discussed this between each other, and now I am currently waiting for all parties to confirm that they are happy to purchase each of their respective amount of sets.

I am sorry for this delay.

Offline r5d

• Reddit: /u/thisman
« Reply #67 on: Tue, 15 May 2018, 03:21:14 »
Updates? GB should be closed by now?
I like keyboards

Offline hayt

• * Maker
« Reply #68 on: Wed, 16 May 2018, 22:09:12 »
ne ne?

Offline dohmain

« Reply #69 on: Wed, 16 May 2018, 22:46:26 »
GMK Doom Group Buy

The buy has closed, but not yet completed. capsunlocked, zFrontier, and ourselves are discussing the remaining units needed to reach MOQ. The conversation is positive and we're expecting to go to GMK and place the order soon. In the mean time, if you missed the buy and want to grab a kit before we complete the buy, please contact us (or capsunlocked if you're in Europe), and we'll see what we can do to squeeze you in now.

https://redd.it/8jwhy5

Offline RSC

« Reply #70 on: Fri, 25 May 2018, 14:33:44 »
Nothing yet..?

Offline 1ceman

« Reply #71 on: Mon, 28 May 2018, 07:56:01 »
What is that case shown on the render?

Offline Atredl

« Reply #72 on: Mon, 28 May 2018, 11:35:07 »
What is that case shown on the render?
That’s an M65

Offline RSC

« Reply #73 on: Thu, 31 May 2018, 15:53:00 »
@CAPS UNLOCKED

So after all the effort to get this going, you just bail out?

I will never buy or recommend anything from your store again. Congrats, you just lost a customer for life.

Offline Atredl

« Reply #74 on: Thu, 31 May 2018, 15:56:56 »
@CAPS UNLOCKED

I will never buy or recommend anything from your store again. Congrats, you just lost a customer for life.
Who said he bailed out?

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #75 on: Thu, 31 May 2018, 15:58:02 »
For context:

GMK Doom Group Buy

We received the unfortunate news from CapsUnlocked that the buy is not moving forward. We are disappointed in this decision. To give some background: through a series of emails and direct discord chats, CapsUnlocked, Cartel, and zFrontier came to an agreement that the remaining units needed to reach MOQ would be purchased by the three companies, each taking an equal share of these. zFrontier and Cartel were happy with this decision and ready to pay for our respective parts of the group buy. For transparency, here's what happened and when it happened:
  • April 30th: The GMK Doom group buy officially ends, while short of the minimum for MOQ, all three retailers (CapsUnlocked, Cartel, and zFrontier) are hopeful to make the buy happen anyways.
  • May 5th: The even, 3 way split was proposed by Cartel, when it was made clear that both CapsUnlocked and zFrontier were also interested in picking up the extra kits.
  • May 11th: It was confirmed everyone was happy to pick up the number of sets they would need to pick up to reach MOQ and move forward with the GB. Invoice requests were sent by CapsUnlocked to GMK around that time
  • May 21st: A second request for the invoices was sent according to CapsUnlocked.
  • May 29th: In the evening we received notice from CapsUnlocked that he would not be purchasing his portion of the additional GMK Doom kits needed to reach MOQ and was refunding his customer orders, since the runner was refunding, both zFrontier and Cartel would need to do the same.
That leaves us at the present moment - today we're notifying you of this unfortunate development. For those who ordered through Cartel, I have begun processing refunds today. If you have not received some form of notification within the next 7 days, please feel free to contact me directly through PM, or to reach out to us through our web form or at the phone number and email listed on the footer of our site.

Source: https://redd.it/8nlsng

Offline tanvir175

« Reply #76 on: Thu, 31 May 2018, 16:18:36 »
@CAPS UNLOCKED

We all got cucked

Offline Remsky

• Lubed switch count > Puddsy post count
« Reply #77 on: Thu, 31 May 2018, 16:21:27 »
Im surprised that the news came from cartel first and not CU............ :thinking:
TGR Jane v2 - GSKT00(coming) - TGR Jane CE V2 - TGR Poly alice - LZ Physix - Matrix 8XV 2.0 - RS - LZ FE - Dalco 959 Mini GT edition (coming) - Mc65 - Hiney TKL one - HHKB Pro 1 - 25th anniversary edition HHKB pro Hybrid - 30th anniversary Filco 2S keyboard

Offline PhreshPrinceOfChinaTown

• /u/PPoCT on Reddit.
    • MechWiki
« Reply #78 on: Thu, 31 May 2018, 16:36:57 »
Im surprised that the news came from cartel first and not CU............ :thinking:

Cartel has been the source of pretty much every actual update for this buy, not sure what the bloody hell cu is doing.
M65-A | Canoe | EM7 | X3 Renova | JER Mini | LZ CLS ms | No. 1/65 | TGR 910ce | CA66 | EXENT | E6.5 | Volcano 660 | Zephyr | Space 65 | Koyu | TX65 | Think 6.5 | Dolphin Linger | EXT65 | S7 Elephant | Key 65 | Alice | Singa | Aegis | HB85 |

Offline hervuli

« Reply #79 on: Thu, 31 May 2018, 16:49:09 »
CapsUnlocked, as GB runner, also did approximately zero work to advertise/publicize this buy after the IC phase, which is part of why we're in this situation in the first place. Pretty shoddy effort. I was excited about this set - super disappointed now.
JD40v2 MX Grey | HHKB BKE Heavy | E6-V2 78g Tealios | ZealX60 72g MX Zilent | TGR 910 RE 78g MX Zilent | Singa Vintage MX Black | Octagon V2 MX Grey | Orion V2 MX Clear | Novatouch BKE Extreme

Offline donutcat

• * Vendor
  • I have ideas. Sometimes they're even good ideas.
    • Donut Cables
« Reply #80 on: Thu, 31 May 2018, 17:17:12 »
Shame that we're in the spot and that it couldn't even be CapsUnlocked themselves bothering to bring news and updates to the people that ordered their set. Makes me apprehensive of any GBs from them in the future considering this is the way they chose to conduct this one.

On a somewhat related note, this whole situation also brought to my attention a recent trend in GBs, of choosing to drag them on and on when it looks like they're having issues, usually at the expense of those participating in the buy. I've seen a couple in the past few months that have done this and I don't think that it's healthy for those GBs or for any of the GBs going on at the same time to drag it out and take up the time and money from anyone that participated in them.

Offline Wetherbee

« Reply #81 on: Thu, 31 May 2018, 20:05:56 »

Could you say that this group buy was... DOOMED??!   :cool: ;D

Offline hayt

• * Maker
« Reply #82 on: Thu, 31 May 2018, 20:12:02 »
supremely disappointed :(

Offline Pemdas

• (づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ ᶠᶫᵒᵃᵗᶦᶰᵍ ᶫᶦᵏᵉ ᵃ ᵇᵘᵗᵗᵉʳᶠᶫʸ
« Reply #83 on: Thu, 31 May 2018, 20:30:18 »

This GB has been a roller coaster of emotions.  Did capsunlocked give a reason for the sudden change in mind? Like others have said, was really looking forward to this one  :'(
HHKB2 | Orion v2 | TGR-03 Proto | Octagon v2 | JD45 | BlackBird | Mira SE | Viper v2 | SX60 | E8-v1 | Alice | LZ GH v2 | No 1/65 | 910SE | Kyuu | LZ CLS ms | UNIKORN | PhysiX

Offline goodman247

• It's confirmed, I'm an idiot.
« Reply #84 on: Thu, 31 May 2018, 21:47:43 »
Man, even though I found this set late and was not able to hop on the GB, but still bummed that it didn't end up happening.

Offline __

• Cartel
« Reply #85 on: Thu, 31 May 2018, 22:24:40 »
Hey all,

This is Tony (end) from Cartel. I just wanted to restate that the information I've provided in the most active reddit post about this, is all we know. We really wanted to get this information out as quick as we could once we found out the state of things, we felt everyone has been hanging long enough waiting for an update and it was a disservice to you to not inform you as soon as we could. I don't have any hard and specific information as to what made CapsUnlocked change his mind, beyond wanting to focus the extra money elsewhere in the business. If that was a specific buy or multiple buys, or just a different non-gb product? I do not know, and I prefer not to speculate. I'll leave specifics to Caps, should he choose to share.

For those who joined through Cartel, my apologies we couldn't let you know about this sooner (if we had known sooner, we would have shared sooner) and start your refund process sooner. As stated in the original thread on reddit, we're processing the refunds now and should be done in no more than a week. If you haven't seen some sign of your refund being processed back to you by the 7th, contact us through the website, reddit PMs, the major mechkeys discord (I'm listed under the vendor category on that discord and get private messages to both my computer and phone), whatever works best for you.

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #86 on: Thu, 31 May 2018, 22:36:27 »
Yea it's a tad dodgy that capsunlocked backed out of the agreement, but honestly can't really fault someone for not wanting to front nearly $4000 for a set that barely passed 50% of moq.  Would you spend that and sit on 23 sets?  No.
keyboards.

Offline OmegaSupreme

• For Cybertron!!!
« Reply #87 on: Thu, 31 May 2018, 22:39:56 »
Yea it's a tad dodgy that capsunlocked backed out of the agreement, but honestly can't really fault someone for not wanting to front nearly $4000 for a set that barely passed 50% of moq.  Would you spend that and sit on 23 sets?  No.

It's fine that he wanted to back out, but he should have been more open to the participants about it.

I think the lack of communication is dodgier.

| TX-CP | Dolphin V3x 2 | Dolphin Padx 2 | Unicorn X Legend | Jane V2 | Jane V2 CE |

Offline donutcat

• * Vendor
    • Donut Cables
« Reply #88 on: Thu, 31 May 2018, 23:05:15 »

It's fine that he wanted to back out, but he should have been more open to the participants about it.

I think the lack of communication is dodgier.

If there wasn't an agreement that had happened, I'd be fine with them just wanting to drop. But the dealio is there was an agreement, they waited a month while holding people's money, then just dipped. Plus for a good deal less than $4k, sitting on 23 sets would have been no big deal, there's always people messaging after a GB ends "hey, i missed this cause my car got cancer and my cat needed a new clutch, can i pick up a set somehow" and there's also people that will go for it after it starts showing up on r/mk. The sets would have sold before they ever reached their hands if they chose to list them ahead.

And here's the big kicker. Is it CU in here telling us they decided to kill the set in favor of some other unrelated thing a month after an agreement? No, it's up to one of the proxies to take responsibility and explain what's going on for everyone that's here wondering what's going on, and the same deal is having to happen for everyone that bought from zFrontier with no updates. This has been disrespectful to the proxies of the set who worked hard to make sure it had visibility and actually posted about it, and it's disrespectful to the buyers that were just left in the dark, and it doesn't make me want to bother with anything from them in the future.

Offline Atredl

« Reply #89 on: Fri, 01 June 2018, 01:10:31 »
I can forgive them wanting to back out of the GB. To be quite honest, I was surprised, but happy, that the rest of the spots were being bought out. Especially for how little orders were put in during the GB. I don't like that they did it but backing out even when there was an agreement is forgivable in my eyes. Especially if they thought it was a bad idea.

What I don't like about this whole situation is how little communication there was from CU in terms of advertising and updates. I appreciate the updates that were coming from Cartel but it always felt strange that we were getting radio silence from CU. I don't think it's too far a stretch to say that others any myself will be understanding if updates are given. Leaving us in the dark for a month and leaving it up to a proxy to send out updates isn't what I'd call good communication at all. I'm not naming any names but we've seen from other GBs what happens when updates aren't given. Not giving an update just isn't acceptable in this hobby where we're handing over such large amounts of money.

Offline CAPS UNLOCKED

• capsunlocked
« Reply #90 on: Fri, 01 June 2018, 04:50:47 »
Hi Everyone,

Firstly, I would like to apologise to all of the GB participants and those waiting for extras. If you join a group buy, you should constantly know what is happening with the set, and I agree that I did not provide frequent updates on the status of this set, especially after the GB had concluded. I can understand that people may think there was something dodgy occurring, however there wasn't.  Regardless of what caused the delays, I should have updated everyone immediately.

Secondly, this group buy will no longer be going ahead because I am no longer able to purchase the extra sets required for this group buy. I am working on other unannounced projects, and unfortunately the resources for GMK DOOM became unavailable. I had to decide about which projects would be funded, and unfortunately DOOM was cancelled. The fact that DOOM did not do well during the GB also contributed to this decision. Instead of pushing the current set through (and cancelling another project), I think it would be better to work on this set and launch a new GB later in the future (or perhaps just release the novelties as a pack), but that isn't confirmed and it will be far into the future if it happens.

It shouldn't have been Cartel to break the news to you (I am not criticising them, they are simply being honest with their customers), it should have been me. I think that I need to review and improve the way I conduct group buys, before I start any others in the future, to avoid this situation again.

Everyone who purchased a set via capsunlocked will be refunded by the end of the day.

I am sure that many of you have questions, and so please feel free to ask.

Offline RSC

« Reply #91 on: Fri, 01 June 2018, 08:23:54 »
Cartel has already shown availability to run the GB for this set, with a few revisions. At this point, given the circumstances, the best thing you could do is to give Cartel permission to run this GB. For me, it's the only way you have to save face.

Offline Eon2001

« Reply #92 on: Fri, 01 June 2018, 10:06:51 »
Hi Everyone,

Firstly, I would like to apologise to all of the GB participants and those waiting for extras. If you join a group buy, you should constantly know what is happening with the set, and I agree that I did not provide frequent updates on the status of this set, especially after the GB had concluded. I can understand that people may think there was something dodgy occurring, however there wasn't.  Regardless of what caused the delays, I should have updated everyone immediately.

Secondly, this group buy will no longer be going ahead because I am no longer able to purchase the extra sets required for this group buy. I am working on other unannounced projects, and unfortunately the resources for GMK DOOM became unavailable. I had to decide about which projects would be funded, and unfortunately DOOM was cancelled. The fact that DOOM did not do well during the GB also contributed to this decision. Instead of pushing the current set through (and cancelling another project), I think it would be better to work on this set and launch a new GB later in the future (or perhaps just release the novelties as a pack), but that isn't confirmed and it will be far into the future if it happens.

It shouldn't have been Cartel to break the news to you (I am not criticising them, they are simply being honest with their customers), it should have been me. I think that I need to review and improve the way I conduct group buys, before I start any others in the future, to avoid this situation again.

Everyone who purchased a set via capsunlocked will be refunded by the end of the day.

What a stupid business move.

You absolutely should have pushed this set through, and canceled or delayed whatever else you were working on that has taken time & resources away from GMK Doom... whats to stop you from abandoning these next projects for something else further down the line, or for some other convenient reason?

The fact that GMK Doom didn't do well rests solely on you, as you did 0 advertising for it during the gb phase, and basically ghosted everyone after the initial offering. You failed to do anything to actually support your work. Then even after an agreement had been reached to buy the remaining kits and reach moq, you abandoned your own project, and left your partners and investors out to dry.

GMK Doom not making it to moq doesn't faze me; the fact that it failed because you lost interest and decided to divert funds earmarked specifically for it, to some other unknown project, is what pisses me off.

I will be avoiding any projects you are involved with in the future, and actively encouraging others to do so as well. At this point, I would also appreciate if you gave control of GMK Doom to someone else who is willing to see it through to the end.

*edited for spelling and grammar, even though its still terrible.
« Last Edit: Fri, 01 June 2018, 12:24:34 by Eon2001 »

Offline hervuli

« Reply #93 on: Fri, 01 June 2018, 11:29:03 »
^^^^^^^ yeah, all of that.
JD40v2 MX Grey | HHKB BKE Heavy | E6-V2 78g Tealios | ZealX60 72g MX Zilent | TGR 910 RE 78g MX Zilent | Singa Vintage MX Black | Octagon V2 MX Grey | Orion V2 MX Clear | Novatouch BKE Extreme

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #94 on: Fri, 01 June 2018, 11:36:19 »
Sorry for that, it was a really nice colorway. I'm starting to hate super high contrast sets, and this one would have been nice. Yet I'm starting to hate the high prices of gmk. Without vat this would have been only 110 eur, which looks more acceptable.

Offline odd

« Reply #95 on: Fri, 01 June 2018, 12:16:55 »
Hi Everyone,

What stupid business move.

You absolutely should have pushed this set through, and canceled or delayed whatever else you were working on that has taken time & resources away from GMK Doom... whats to stop you from abandoning these next projects for something else further down the line, or for some other convenient reason?

The fact that GMK Doom didnt do well rests soley on you, as you did 0 advertising for it during the gb phase, and basically ghosted everyone after the initial offering. You failed to do anything to actually support your work. Then even after an agreement had been reached to buy the remaining kits and reach moq, you abandoned your own project, and left your partners and investors out to dry.

GMK Doom not making it to moq doesnt faze me; the fact that it failed because you lost interest and decided to divert funds earmarked specifically for it, to some other unknown project, is what pisses me off.

I will be avoiding any projects you are involved with in the future, and actively encouraging others to do so as well. At this point, I would also appreciate if you gave control of the project to someone else willing to see it through to the end.

*edited for spelling and grammar, even though its still terrible.

Pretty much this.

Offline a_ak57

« Reply #96 on: Fri, 01 June 2018, 12:24:53 »
Your next project better be amazing otherwise people will operate under the assumption that you'll kill it at any random time when you think of something you like better.

Offline OmegaSupreme

• For Cybertron!!!
« Reply #97 on: Fri, 01 June 2018, 13:09:51 »
Your next project better be amazing otherwise people will operate under the assumption that you'll kill it at any random time when you think of something you like better.

Too late, I am already planning to not go in on any future Caps Unlocked projects.  What's to stop the guy from pulling this again?

There will always be plenty of other GB's to jump in on in the future.  Doesn't make sense to waste your time and money on GB runners that just don't care...
| TX-CP | Dolphin V3x 2 | Dolphin Padx 2 | Unicorn X Legend | Jane V2 | Jane V2 CE |

Offline tex_live_utility

• MX brown apologist
    • twitch.tv/salt_rock_lamp
« Reply #98 on: Fri, 01 June 2018, 14:32:46 »
Wew, good thing I only bought 1 accent kit to go with this instead of the 3 or so I had planned.

Someone please just run GMK black-on-black.
Discord: salt rock lamp#0679 | Reddit: /u/nerdponx | Deskthority: autoload -Uz | Keebtalk: salt_rock_lamp
Twitch: salt_rock_lamp | YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCd7YXZjilUutJ6ShZWrvQtg | Instagram: @salt_rock_keyboards

Offline donutcat

• * Vendor
    • Donut Cables
« Reply #99 on: Fri, 01 June 2018, 14:53:18 »
Someone please just run GMK black-on-black.

Don't say that too loudly or I might just have to add that to my list of sets :3