Author Topic: Buckling Spring Manufacters  (Read 2446 times)

Offline CaptCarrot

Buckling Spring Manufacters
« on: Tue, 21 October 2008, 05:42:16 »
Doing some research I have made the folllowing assumptions.

We all know that IBM sold to Lexmark (1991) and Lexmark sold to Unicomp (1996).

But it seems there was another iron in the fire, according to this article, we now include Maxi Switch.

Quote from: AllBusiness.com: Business Wire
TUCSON, Ariz.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Nov. 13, 1995--Maxi Switch Inc. Monday announced an agreement to the purchase and transfer of Lexmark International Inc.'s manufacturing rights, patents, and assets for Select-Ease and Rubber Dome computer keyboards, including its patented Buckling Spring technology.

Under the terms of the agreement, Maxi Switch will purchase certain tools, molds, patents, copyright licenses, manufacturing information and the Select-Ease trademark for an undisclosed sum. ... [cont...]

Further diggging reveals that Maxi Switch was associated with the name Silitek, and they also changed there name to LMS.

However, maxiswitch.com, maximfg.com, lmsus.com or silitek-corp.com no longer exist.

At the bottom of this page, it points to the LMS website and mentions "Lite-on Group's subsidiary".  Backing this up is this article, where Lite-on is the ultimate parent, and looking at the 1990 date says Maxi Switch was owned by Silitek before it bought the spring technology in 1995.

Also, in a twist to events, it looks like Can technology have developed there own BS.  As discovered in my Unbranded Buckling Spring thread

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #1 on: Tue, 21 October 2008, 06:05:28 »
This was the red-headed step child of the BS mfrs.  They produced BS keyboards in Mexico for a short time (I believe for non-US keyboards only).  Someone posted more details on them in an older thread.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 21 October 2008, 06:07:57 »
Now that I think about it, they might be the company that manufactured the 'board in the "Was This A Good Price" thread.  Unless they produced non-US keyboards well after Lexmark was making the US ones, it seems odd that IBM would have made a BS keyboard as late as 1998.

Offline CaptCarrot

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 21 October 2008, 07:03:38 »
Well, as I understand it, that board was made by IBM UK.

clicky KB (1995)

MacRumors: Forums Quote:"IBM UK"-manufactured Model M board from '99

Wikipedia list several manufacturing dates for IBM UK as alate as 1999, although these are either mixed with Lexmark UK or qualified with a ?.

Thought I would save this picture (from that auction) for posterity :)

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 21 October 2008, 07:57:08 »
http://www.clickykeyboards.com/index.cfm/fa/items.main/parentcat/9246/subcatid/0/id/369157

This keyboard, as well as every other standard Model M I found from 1997 to 1999, were made by IBM UK.  It seems that around 1993-4 to 1996, they were made by Lexmark, then over to IBM UK for a while after that.  I think Unicomp took over around 2000 (http://www.clickykeyboards.com/index.cfm/fa/items.main/parentcat/9231/subcatid/0/id/130207).  Here is one from Maxi Switch (this is an M-13):

http://www.clickykeyboards.com/index.cfm/fa/items.main/parentcat/9231/subcatid/0/id/231586