Author Topic: What got you into mechs?  (Read 2193 times)

Offline Ptolemy

What got you into mechs?
« on: Mon, 03 December 2018, 16:10:36 »
For me it was the "click-y ness" of the Razer Blackwidow :-[
HHKB Pro 2
IBM Model M

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
Re: What got you into mechs?
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 03 December 2018, 16:43:52 »
Flippy's Circus Coins

Offline scoopbb

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 04 December 2018, 00:29:37 »
starting feeling wrist pain and numbness in my right hand. got a matias ergo pro. pain went away pretty quick after switching. kept being interested in other boards and other switches.

Offline Cynamin

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 05 December 2018, 09:27:58 »
I read somewhere that a mechanical keyboard is leagues better than a "normal keyboard" and became really interested in them. I remember reading the arguments about topre and wondering if my rubber dome board was actually topre.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 05 December 2018, 09:29:28 »
A bit on NPR about Model Ms. It was almost ten years ago.

Offline Sup

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Doing university was a mistake
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 05 December 2018, 10:22:14 »
Post about how you got into mechs numbero #12323???????????

Oh well was trying to find a new keyboard a long time ago since i was done with rubber dome. My first Keyboard was the Poker II with cherry mx black switches :).
current
Filco Zero -  NOS Yellow Alps | Canoe R1 Gateron Red | AEK II JP Cream dampend |Filco Majestouch 2 Tex case Gateron Yellow | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev AO Serial 000171 | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev A1s|DZ60 OG Panda's with Fei spring and stem. | Sentraq S65_Plus OG Invyr Panda's | A17 Gateron Black TX 65G 3204 | Lubrigrante Wildcard Cherry MX silent blacks 3204 58.5G Springs | Rukia Everglide Tourmaline Blue 58.5G Springs | MGA Standard Greetech brown |
Coming soon
Rest in peace Billy Herrington(William Glen Harold Herrington) 1969-2018
Rest in peace Byron Daniel 1989-2020

Offline frydaja

• "It's my last keyboard, I swear"
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 05 December 2018, 15:42:29 »
Curiosity.
« Last Edit: Wed, 05 December 2018, 15:45:53 by frydaja »
Anne Pro 2 w/ Kailh Box Browns | CM Storm Quickfire TK Stealth w/ MX Browns | Unknown Chinese keyboard w/ Outemu Reds | Compaq-branded NMB RT101 | Gigabyte Force K81 w/Kailh Reds

Offline rondg

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 05 December 2018, 18:46:56 »
I was also curious and bought the Blackwidow. After sometime, it broke and I thought I was done until I saw this forum and found out that I can build my own. RIP wallet.

Offline Justin_aka_OsP_SSJ4

• Chellow... it's me...
    • My Twitch
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 05 December 2018, 19:04:29 »
I was CAD modeller at Ford Australia in the design department. Autodesk Alias was the program we used for surfacing. Unfortunately Alias requires the use of more modifier commands than any program you will come across for even the most basic functions.

I killed the stock Dell membrane keyboard. Keys wouldnt register and I would compensate by slamming the keys. This grew into fatigue and pains from finger tips to forearm. 8-10 hours of CADing will do that.

Surprisingly Alias does not use raw number input very often so in the interest of ergonomics I wanted to ditch the numpad.

I started my research and discovered Mechanical keyboards. And ended up with a used Ducky Zero TKL with MX browns. I used that board for 4 years across different jobs and home. I discovered Massdrop soon after getting the ducky and bought some keycaps. When I saw SA Carbon I was well and truly tumbling down the rabbit hole.
DC60 w/ DZ60 PCB & Steel plate w/ 3mm neoprene foam - 68g Chellows Lubed w/ 3204 - Find me on twitch/twitter Osprey_SSJ4

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 05 December 2018, 19:07:26 »
a good friend in high school got a Model M M5-2 out of the trash at school; within a week we were both GH members...

this was over 9 years ago now...
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 05 December 2018, 19:38:01 »
click clacks did actually.
I love Elzy

Offline yuppie

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 05 December 2018, 19:38:40 »
got a das keyboard at work a few years ago and started digging deeper down the rabbit hole.
"Overall, it's a good community..  wish you well on your Pokemon Journey.." - TP4
Current Trades -- Wishlist

Offline Mechboards

• * Vendor
  • Mechboards UK
    • Mechboards
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 05 December 2018, 19:44:41 »
60%'s

Offline atilluh

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 05 December 2018, 20:53:02 »
Bought a coolermaster CM Storm quickfire rapid mainly because it didn't have a numpad. learned what mechanical switches felt like and have never gone back.

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 06 December 2018, 04:55:24 »
My quest to find the tactile switch that best suits me I suppose.

Offline kurplop

• THE HERO WE DON'T DESERVE
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 06 December 2018, 06:10:46 »
Numb, sore, aching hands led me on a search for a solution. I saw an ad for the Truly Ergonomic Keyboard which led me to GH. Months later I bought the TE and a year later bought an Ergodox from Massdrop’s first run. Both keyboards helped my hands but by then I was immersed in the hobby and continued to experiment and build several custom boards. Five years later I’m still here and am in the middle of building two more customs.

I’m not very active on the forum anymore but still follow the MST and Ergonomic sections pretty closely. I have appreciated the friendliness and helpfulness of the GH community over the years. It seems that this forum has drifted heavily toward group buys and artisans which don’t interest me much but I always like seeing the creativity and new innovations from the very talented people here.

Offline Gepriester

« Reply #16 on: Sat, 08 December 2018, 10:13:50 »
Back in 2014, all I played was Starcraft 2 and most of the Korean pros used some Korean customs, Filcos or similar. It was one of these videos that really got me wanting one of those:

Offline no, the other guy

• actually, this guy
« Reply #17 on: Thu, 13 December 2018, 03:32:35 »
The short lifetime and ****ty ergonomics of Logitech's rubber domes, basically.  :-X
<armin> i have the impression the only reason the mx red switch was invented was drunk people

Unicomp PC122 (review) * IBM Model F XT * Dell AT101W

Offline tradercreep

« Reply #18 on: Thu, 13 December 2018, 07:32:05 »
Clicky from Black widow & rgb.  I realize I hate rgb and gaming kb in general after having look up for Filco, owning a Filco as a developer now.

Offline abhixec

« Reply #19 on: Thu, 13 December 2018, 13:51:22 »
Actually first I got into it because of the blue's clickyness but now its QMK why I love mechkeyboards. Love what I can program(albeit I am still learning more and more about its possibilities.)
I require the QMK more because I am one of the rare breeds of colemak-ist. I also have now grown to use the extend layer(beware once you get used to it, life will get harder without it!)
Now I can't think of keyboards that don't have the functionality to program with QMK.
Huge credits to QMK community.

Offline HouseofSuffering

« Reply #20 on: Thu, 13 December 2018, 14:57:20 »
I was building a new PC around 2008 and decided I wanted a really nice keyboard to go with it.

I looking into it and ultimately it was between an HHKB, a Das Keyboard 3 Ultimate, a Frogpad (lol) or a Optimus Maximus (lol).

I ended going with the Das Keyboard Ultimate....with Blue Swithces and Blank Key Caps.....even though I couldn't touch type for the life of me at the time.

I got by for years with it, because I only really used that PC for gaming. Some years later when I finally decided I needed a usable keyboard that was not blank I came across custom keysets and somehow geekhack.....about a year later I actually signed up for geekhack in order to enter Brocap raffles and group buys.