Author Topic: [IC] GMK Spark Knight - 8/8/2021 Vendors+Novs, Appling for License, NEW IC FORM  (Read 38513 times)

Offline 7h3of7

GMK Spark Knight
Inspired by the Spark Knight of Mondstadt!

Colors

This set is based off of the character Klee, from Genshin Impact made by Mihoyo.
I'm in the process of obtaining licensing for this set. Will update once I have a response.

Kitting

Base Kit

Katakana Sub Kit

Spacebar Kit

Extension Kit

Novelty Kit

Case Renders

Nemui by Bachoo
More

Jane by TGR
More

Alice by TGR
More

Vendors

US: vala.supply
CA: ashkeebs.com
EU: mykeyboard.eu
CN: zfrontier.com
SEA: ilumkb.com
OCE: switchkeys.com.au

Collabs

If you would like to collab with me, please reach out to me on discord at 7h3of7#0737 or dm on Geekhack

Thank You to the Following:

Bachoo for being an amazing mentor to me through this process and also for all the beautiful renders in this IC.
PRJKT for encouraging me to start designing my own set.
Frostey for always being the first to give honest feedback whenever I show him something.
MiTo for the lovely katakana molds.
Plop for the beautiful novelties.
For my friends who pester me to make sure I'm working on my designs rather than just lounging watching Youtube.
And thank you for reading all the way to the end!

« Last Edit: Sat, 14 August 2021, 16:06:22 by 7h3of7 »
Current Board: OTD 356 Mini v1 Black

Offline 7h3of7

Re: [IC] GMK Spark Knight
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 06 January 2021, 12:16:06 »
8/8/21 Update:
- Modified Base kit
- Modified Sublegends kit
- Modified Spacebars kit
- Added Extension kit
- Added Novelties kit
- Announced Vendors
- A little IC post reorganization
« Last Edit: Sun, 08 August 2021, 13:00:05 by 7h3of7 »

Offline 7h3of7

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 06 January 2021, 12:21:20 »
Fixed.

Offline hkiri

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 06 January 2021, 12:23:24 »
classic red but weeb?

Offline wil

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 06 January 2021, 12:29:56 »
this is a chinese made game so it doesn't make sense to me to use katakana/hiragana. without novelties too this just feels like classic red. hope to see some improvements since klee has a fantastic design

Offline yoot

• none
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 06 January 2021, 12:30:00 »
All in for this

Offline sirieous

• help
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 06 January 2021, 12:30:32 »
reminds me a lot of classic red

Offline Bachoo

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 06 January 2021, 12:31:10 »
Waiting for this set to drop is like getting slammed into solitary confinement for blowing up too many hilicurls.  :thumb: glwic

Offline kt1928

• Kappy
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 06 January 2021, 12:31:36 »
Excited about this. Great work man

Offline Grog

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 06 January 2021, 12:33:51 »
Looking very nice my man!

Offline Zanhana

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 06 January 2021, 12:37:15 »
agree with the comment that Japanese sublegends are out of place since the game is Chinese

as for kitting, the base kit should also include a R1 equals sign (for the numpad), at least one 1.5u R4 Code key, and at least one 1.5u R4 Function key

other than that the colors look nice even if quite similar to classic red
« Last Edit: Wed, 06 January 2021, 13:24:00 by Zanhana »

Offline Kokaloo

• 🤘(• ω •)🤙
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 06 January 2021, 12:44:41 »

Offline 7h3of7

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 06 January 2021, 12:50:05 »
this is a chinese made game so it doesn't make sense to me to use katakana/hiragana. without novelties too this just feels like classic red. hope to see some improvements since klee has a fantastic design

agree with the comment that Japanese sublegends are out of place since the game is Chinese

as for kitting, the base kit should also include a R4 equals sign (for the numpad), at least one 1.5u R4 Code key, and at least one 1.5u R4 Function key

Thank you for checking out the IC!
I came to the decision to use Katakana sublegends as while it is a Chinese game, I felt like the majority of people that I had met and talked to played with Japanese voice acting. I felt like going with Katakana sublegends would be the more accurate to my, and many other's, experience as the game as Katakana in Japanese is used for foreign terms (and sound effects). This way, I could still honor that this game is not a Japanese game, but would reflect my experience of it better.

However, this is not final and if there is enough support for it I would be glad to change it to something people find more appropriate!

Offline CardinalityTV

• CardinalDesign Portfolio
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 06 January 2021, 12:57:41 »
Definitely echo the sentiments of others re: miHoYo being a Chinese company and the Japanese sublegends.

Although I've only played a little Genshin Impact, from taking a look at some more references of the character it seems like their primary colour is more of a burnt orange/red/brown mix rather than the Ruby Red RAL colour chosen. Your choice of primary colour might be a conscious decision (which is fair enough) but I do also think the comparison to Classic Red is reasonable. This could maybe be a solution to the Classic Red comparison, but is ultimately your decision for what you set out for this design to be. I'd like to see some more distinguishing features when novelties and deskmats are designed, maybe even incorporating your primary red colour into other areas of the kitting to make it more unique.

Best of luck with your interest check!

Offline PRJKT_

« Reply #14 on: Wed, 06 January 2021, 13:03:02 »
Good Luck with IC!!!

Offline scrps

« Reply #15 on: Wed, 06 January 2021, 13:03:34 »
pog. can't wait to see collabs, deskmat(s), and novelties although i probably won't be able to join gb

Offline BapoDonu

« Reply #16 on: Wed, 06 January 2021, 13:11:24 »
Its classic red but all of the colors are different
« Last Edit: Wed, 06 January 2021, 13:27:54 by BapoDonu »

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 06 January 2021, 13:23:37 »
Classic red
treeleaf64: https://discord.gg/rbUjtsRG6P

This is the cat and pat!!!!!!!!

Offline CrazyAssMonkey

« Reply #18 on: Wed, 06 January 2021, 18:09:17 »
Ahhh the degen classic red? Count me in amigo. I’m down for this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline soloplayer

« Reply #19 on: Wed, 06 January 2021, 18:20:10 »
please make add-on kit, to support extra column on the left side, like rama zenith. thank you!

Offline dkFAKE

« Reply #20 on: Wed, 06 January 2021, 18:21:58 »
WEEBS.. Usually in, but in this case..

GACHA OUT.

In all seriousness, I like the colors, GLWIC!

Offline crestia

« Reply #21 on: Wed, 06 January 2021, 20:26:08 »
Perhaps you might want to consider Zhuyin sublegends if they are available?

(I know China doesn't use zhuyin etc, but will be nice to see other sublegends that isn't hiragana/katakana).

Offline misswaffle

« Reply #22 on: Wed, 06 January 2021, 21:42:32 »
This set is looking great so far! Looking forward to seeing the novelties, definitely will help set it apart.

Offline Allkchi

« Reply #23 on: Thu, 07 January 2021, 08:20:17 »
Alternate mod icons would be nice, but looking forward to novelties as well. GLWIC!

Offline CookieFlow

« Reply #24 on: Thu, 07 January 2021, 08:31:50 »
Nice colors.

But I would have made the Katakana sublegends the base kit considering the "weeb" origins.

I see many weeb sets lately with base latin Alphas which doesn't make much sense to me, except if it's to upsell the weebs on a separate hiragana/katakana alphas set.

Would also like to see some Novelities.

Offline vsrnth

« Reply #25 on: Thu, 07 January 2021, 12:03:15 »
Nice colors.

But I would have made the Katakana sublegends the base kit considering the "weeb" origins.

I see many weeb sets lately with base latin Alphas which doesn't make much sense to me, except if it's to upsell the weebs on a separate hiragana/katakana alphas set.

+1 on the katakana sublegends in the base kit

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Offline yoot

• none
« Reply #26 on: Thu, 07 January 2021, 12:23:18 »
Nice colors.

I agree with everything said here as well

Offline veelut

« Reply #27 on: Thu, 07 January 2021, 13:35:27 »
Nice colors.

the set looks great but i also agree--i think the two need to be swapped.

Offline Allkchi

« Reply #28 on: Thu, 07 January 2021, 15:05:21 »
Can't believe I didn't realize the subs weren't in the base kit. Was entranced by the render being at the top. Definitely wack to not have subs in base since this is easily for the weebs.

Offline Schmack

« Reply #29 on: Mon, 11 January 2021, 16:34:10 »
Love the ivory look a lot! Hope this set makes it GB because I really dig it

Offline Nutty

• Twitch
« Reply #30 on: Thu, 14 January 2021, 01:25:56 »
I'm seeing a lot not liking the use of a Japanese written language on this set due to the origin of the game being Chinese. Genshin Impact is another gacha game with its' primary base being aimed for a "weeby" audience, and not specifically a Chinese audience. With one example I could think off the type of my head was GMK Demon Sword. Based off of Azur Lane another gacha game that originated from a Chinese company, but only one comment was made about it having Hiragana. Most mobile/gacha games are catered to "weebs" and most would associate weeb culture with Japanese culture. I didn't look for more examples but I think this is all based off of preference, and designer like it more "weeby." Additionally, there are quite a few popular Chinese titles like Girls Frontline, Arknights, and Honkai Impact.

Not sure their reasoning to why they didn't decide to have Katakana in base, but I see enough that non-weebs will comment on IC's with remarks like "another weeb set" or "love the color but wish it wasn't a weeb set" or other similar remarks. I had thoughts overall, those interested would pay for the feature versus having people who aren't interested having to buy an additional kit to "fix" the set without  sublegends. But this is for times when running a base and an alt alpha versus running two base kits.

Not everyone will be happy with each design choice made, but I like it and the inspiration. I would be fine with either sublegends, but I would like it to be in the base kit. Will be watching and hoping for some nice novelties. GLWIC

Offline misononyan

« Reply #31 on: Tue, 26 January 2021, 23:26:21 »
weebs

Offline 3xelift

• holy panda master race
« Reply #32 on: Wed, 27 January 2021, 10:37:24 »
I will watch your career with great interest

Offline break

« Reply #33 on: Wed, 27 January 2021, 14:04:11 »
Love the colors and especially the accents. I wanted to make a set like this work about a year and a half ago, but couldn't figure out the colors for the community's preferences at the time. Your choice of off-white as an accent is fun, although it might benefit from a touch more contrast against WS1. It may also be slightly too creamy, while WS1 is too cold. I'm not sure though.

I don't think Rubinrot is exactly the same as the P3 used in GMK Classic Red, but because your set lacks novelties or a deskmat you inevitably end up with those comparisons. I think they will disappear as you develop more original content for your set. Looking forward to hearing about those.

From what I've seen Bachoo is a real one, so you must be too. :) I'm sure you'll knock this out!

Offline aldrinballado

« Reply #34 on: Wed, 03 February 2021, 09:28:27 »
Why are there Katakana sublegends when the game is Chinese? Literally the most retarded thing I've seen.

Offline misononyan

« Reply #35 on: Wed, 03 February 2021, 16:22:29 »
Why are there Katakana sublegends when the game is Chinese? Literally the most retarded thing I've seen.

chill bro

Offline newbie

« Reply #36 on: Wed, 03 February 2021, 19:01:39 »

chill bro

Offline Kinesiologist

« Reply #37 on: Wed, 03 February 2021, 19:32:22 »
Looks great, any chance for a Canadian vendor?

Offline Shironome

« Reply #38 on: Wed, 03 February 2021, 20:03:05 »
Even though the game is Chinese, I actually like the katakana. This set is pretty good glwic!

Offline 7h3of7

« Reply #39 on: Wed, 03 February 2021, 20:51:46 »
I guess I'll take this opportunity since the thread has already been bumped to answer some questions. I was originally waiting until I had more to provide a substantial update, but I'll provide a quick update just so you all know that this IC isn't dead.
The reason I didn't want to bump this thread was that it seemed like the majority of the feedback I got from my IC was that people were waiting for the novelties and deskmat, so I was planning on updating once those were finished.

Things are moving along. I've talked to vendors, the first draft of the novelties are currently being made. I'll be putting up a color comparison on the main IC page soon. Hopefully, I'll have a huge update by the end of the month.

To answer the question of Katakana in the base kit, I will think about it. My initial reasoning for having katakana separated from the base is because Klee is from Mondstadt, and the area in the game based on Germany. Because of that, I felt like Latin alphas in the base kit made more sense. Since the majority of players I have interacted with, as well as myself, use the Japanese dub, I thought having a Katakana as an optional alpha kit would make sense. 75% of the responses on my IC seemed to prefer Katakana over Cangjie, so that will likely be final. However, I am still debating whether or not to add it to the base kit and have optional Latin alphas or not.

This is where I'm at currently. Thank you to anyone who has filled out my IC form and for all the support and criticisms that I've received thus far. As always, my discord is the place where you will get the most up-to-date news on my set.

I'll take the rest of this point to reply to some comments:

as for kitting, the base kit should also include a R1 equals sign (for the numpad), at least one 1.5u R4 Code key, and at least one 1.5u R4 Function key

Originally, I removed it since I thought people could just use the 1.5u alt/controls, but upon further inspection, it might be something I'm interested in adding but I have yet to make a decision. Thank you for the feedback!

Love the colors and especially the accents. I wanted to make a set like this work about a year and a half ago, but couldn't figure out the colors for the community's preferences at the time. Your choice of off-white as an accent is fun, although it might benefit from a touch more contrast against WS1. It may also be slightly too creamy, while WS1 is too cold. I'm not sure though.

I don't think Rubinrot is exactly the same as the P3 used in GMK Classic Red, but because your set lacks novelties or a deskmat you inevitably end up with those comparisons. I think they will disappear as you develop more original content for your set. Looking forward to hearing about those.

From what I've seen Bachoo is a real one, so you must be too. :) I'm sure you'll knock this out!

I've been looking into making the ivory a little stronger. I haven't landed on an exact color I want yet (or whether I want to change it at all), but it's definitely something I'm thinking about. As for WS1, I think whether or not I change it will be based on my decision with the ivory. Thank you for your positive comments!

Looks great, any chance for a Canadian vendor?

Yep! There will indeed be a Canadian vendor.

Once again, thank you all. I'll hopefully be back soon with a huge update  :D

Offline fastertypes69

« Reply #40 on: Fri, 05 February 2021, 18:39:47 »
This is so gooooood, very interested~~

Offline Elzanite

« Reply #41 on: Mon, 15 February 2021, 03:02:31 »
Really hyped for the set to run! Can't wait till the novelties and deskmat are revealed!

Offline FestiveIV

« Reply #42 on: Mon, 15 February 2021, 03:06:14 »
I normally don't like red sets but this has my attention!

Offline LaserCrafter

• reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
« Reply #43 on: Mon, 15 February 2021, 03:14:09 »
Show Image

I mean there is a thing called not buying it when it hits GB, but I'll leave that up for you to decide
Keyboard Collection: Unikorn, Orion v2.5, Orion v3, Realforce 87u, Viper v3, NMB RT8756CGR, Unicorn x Legend, Das II, TC-V3, Jetfire, Wang 325-3770, Lightpad v2

Keyset Collection: OG Doubleshots, CRP 2551 R4, Muted 2, Cyan R1, WoB, DCS Wyse, ISO OG POM, ePBT Blanks, BSP Blanks, BoW + Gigachild

Offline misononyan

« Reply #44 on: Mon, 15 February 2021, 19:49:31 »
dudes a grouch lol, just don't pay attention to him

Offline Sicowa

« Reply #45 on: Tue, 16 February 2021, 10:13:57 »
Degen Red Classic   :thumb:
Love the look of this.
Glad I got a Wine Nemui for when this set drops
GLWIC
Collection: Khajit 60, Leopold FC980C, Pepper, Ex. Visa, Daedalus

pfp:https://twitter.com/kuroseP/status/1305179874429079553?s=19

Offline nagi

« Reply #46 on: Tue, 16 February 2021, 19:56:07 »
i don’t play genshin impact but i love the colors

Offline fastertypes69

« Reply #47 on: Wed, 17 February 2021, 10:28:22 »
Beautiful colors, would love to get this on my keeb

Offline Rx003

« Reply #48 on: Fri, 19 February 2021, 03:59:33 »
Love the touch of the Ivory glwic  :)) :)) :))

Offline FishyKeebs

• hey
« Reply #49 on: Tue, 02 March 2021, 12:23:24 »
Really nice set!
(seveN on discord)  ;)