Author Topic: What is the best OS?  (Read 75673 times)

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
What is the best OS?
« Reply #300 on: Sat, 11 September 2010, 09:09:00 »
Quote from: keyboardlover;221949
What command line tools do you actually use on a daily basis? And also, you had to take time to LEARN how to use that stuff. The average user doesn't want to do that. They want to be able to do their tasks in the most efficient way possible. That's why the GUI is the most important. Does command line software sell anymore? No way!

I think you are confusing 'efficiency' with 'low learning curve'; concepts which are not automatically equivalent.

Offline instantkamera

What is the best OS?
« Reply #301 on: Sat, 11 September 2010, 09:11:18 »
Quote from: ch_123;221964
I think you are confusing 'efficiency' with 'low learning curve'; concepts which are not automatically equivalent.

exactly.
Realforce 86UB - Razer Blackwidow - Dell AT101W - IBM model MCST  LtracX - Kensington Orbit - Logitech Trackman wheel opticalAMD PhenomII x6 - 16GB RAM - SSD - RAIDDell U2211H - Spyder3 - Eye One Display 2

Offline mike

What is the best OS?
« Reply #302 on: Sat, 11 September 2010, 09:17:56 »
Quote from: keyboardlover;221949
They want to be able to do their tasks in the most efficient way possible.

I'm not sure efficiency has much to do with it; more a case of familiarity. Not necessarily a bad thing of course.

I once converted a researcher into a command-line fan by pointing out that the statistical package running under Windows was available on a much larger Unix machine although there it was command-line only. The advantage to her of using the command-line is that she could analyse far larger datasets in greater speed than she could with a Windows machine.

That's why the GUI is the most important. Does command line software sell anymore? No way!

Yes. Linux (not everyone downloads the free versions), Solaris (again many places want a support contract), z/OS, MySQL, Oracle, MS-SQL (it may have a GUI, but there's a command-line for the SQL guru in there), every Cisco (and other) router out there on the Internet, ...

There's quite probably more command-line software being sold now than there was 20 years ago. A smaller share of a very much larger market.
Keyboards: Unicomp UB40T56 with JP3 removed, Unicomp UB4044A, Filco Tenkeyless Brown (with pink highlights), Access AKE1223231, IBM DisplayWriter, Das Keyboard III, and a few others.

Offline keyboardlover

• Hey Paul Walker, Click It or Ticket!
    • http://www.keyboardlover.com
What is the best OS?
« Reply #303 on: Sat, 11 September 2010, 09:24:34 »
I guess my point is that all you folks who use primarily a bunch of command-line tools are in the minority. Most users want to do things the easiest way, using GUIs. I am not a server admin, so I really don't know what is better for that. I think all the server admins I work with like Linux though, so that would explain it :D

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
What is the best OS?
« Reply #304 on: Sat, 11 September 2010, 10:15:17 »
Well, given that this discussion was largely to do with server operating systems...

Offline platon

What is the best OS?
« Reply #305 on: Sat, 11 September 2010, 10:18:26 »
Quote from: ch_123;221964

this.
Filco Majestouch brown no nkro, Filco tenkeyless white lettered with browns, IBM Model M 1392934 Space Saving \'91 x 2, Cherry G80-3000 LSCEU-2, Chicony KB-5181, SGI Granite 9500900, IBM Model M 52G9658 \'94, HHKB Lite 2 for Mac, SGI RT6856T (rubber dome), Logitech Illuminated Keyboard, CH DT225 trackball, SGI 063-0009-001 mouse

Offline platon

What is the best OS?
« Reply #306 on: Sat, 11 September 2010, 10:44:48 »
Quote from: keyboardlover;221971
I guess my point is that all you folks who use primarily a bunch of command-line tools are in the minority. Most users want to do things the easiest way, using GUIs. I am not a server admin, so I really don't know what is better for that. I think all the server admins I work with like Linux though, so that would explain it :D

Imagine this: You use windows and you have a folder with all your various downloads. Maybe hundreds of files. In you have a mix of mp3, avi, pdf and other format files.

You now want to tidy things up. Lets say you create a new folder named "MP3" and you intend to move all your .mp3 files there.

The gui version is to start selecting the mp3 files one by one having the ctrl pressed all the time. Or you could arrange them by type and select as much as you can with a mouse box selection. Then you should click "cut" move to the new folder and then click "paste".

The command line version of this is simply

move *.mp3 MP3

I believe  everyone can benefit form a little command line use. You don't have to be a pro or an admin.
Filco Majestouch brown no nkro, Filco tenkeyless white lettered with browns, IBM Model M 1392934 Space Saving \'91 x 2, Cherry G80-3000 LSCEU-2, Chicony KB-5181, SGI Granite 9500900, IBM Model M 52G9658 \'94, HHKB Lite 2 for Mac, SGI RT6856T (rubber dome), Logitech Illuminated Keyboard, CH DT225 trackball, SGI 063-0009-001 mouse

Offline keyboardlover

What is the best OS?
« Reply #307 on: Sat, 11 September 2010, 11:09:51 »
Quote from: platon;221989
Imagine this: You use windows and you have a folder with all your various downloads. Maybe hundreds of files. In you have a mix of mp3, avi, pdf and other format files.

You now want to tidy things up. Lets say you create a new folder named "MP3" and you intend to move all your .mp3 files there.

The gui version is to start selecting the mp3 files one by one having the ctrl pressed all the time. Or you could arrange them by type and select as much as you can with a mouse box selection. Then you should click "cut" move to the new folder and then click "paste".

The command line version of this is simply

move *.mp3 MP3

I believe  everyone can benefit form a little command line use. You don't have to be a pro or an admin.

Well...I use Ctrl-A and Ctrl-V which I think are even easier. But point taken.

Offline ManjyomeThunder

What is the best OS?
« Reply #308 on: Sat, 11 September 2010, 11:51:56 »
Quote from: instantkamera;221933
Accusing a free OS of not being free because it includes an inalienable right that derivatives also be free is stupid. The license isn't perfect, but your argument is pointless because:

a) you are arguing "freeness" while using a completely proprietary platform (WTF??),

b) It is well within you right to close your project if it runs ON linux, as long as it is not PART OF linux (and FYI, that is the Kernel, nothing more). It's called having your cake and eating it too. That's how us smelly-basement-dwellers-who-really-need-to-shave make our money.

But nobody claims that Windows IS free. Whereas the typical freetard, at least from my experience, can't stop shouting at the top of their voice how awesome Linux is because it's free and they can do WHATEVER they want with it. Linux is not "free" in the sense that it has restrictions as well. It's not stupid to accuse the GPL of hypocritical terms. If it were truly free, I could use the code released under it HOWEVER I WANT, whether it be in an open source project or otherwise. And yes, I know you can close and sell projects that run ON Linux, that wasn't my point.

Ok, so what is the issue? The lack of exploits for a given OS IS a selling point. Should that change in the future, then it would no longer BE a selling point. This is not rocket science.

The issue is claiming OS X is more secure simply is not true. It's more obscure. Whereas Microsoft is going to great lengths to increase the security features in Windows, including implementing full ASLR, Apple is getting by on the fact that nobody cares about them and pretending to be secure still.

As for computers coming with an OS, well, most of mine don't (because I build them myself), and I do care, so I put linux on them. Some netbooks come with linux on them, and a WHOLE load of smartphones are using "linux".

Right, and you're free to do so. But Windows is the "best" operating system for the great majority of consumers because they DON'T build there's themselves as we do, they DON'T want to have to learn how to use a new OS and they DON'T give a crap if they can tinker around with crap they shouldn't need to. As for smartphones using Linux? Yes, I have an Android phone too. Hardly comparable to a desktop linux distribution.

Maybe you don't understand the "point of being free". I can assure you that it is not to spend you days lamenting the use of one free license over the other to the point of never actually using anything...

I was talking about free as in "gratis" there. It defeats the point, because most consumers already have a "free" OS that came with their computer then.
Current Favorite:  Noppoo Choc Mini with Cherry MX Blues
"Storage": ABS M1, Unicomp Customizer 104, Razer Lycosa, (3) Dell AT101W, GeekHack Space Saver
Other stuff: Razer DeathAdder, eXactMat

Offline ManjyomeThunder

What is the best OS?
« Reply #309 on: Sat, 11 September 2010, 12:02:31 »
Quote from: mike;221908
Ah! A reflex "I like Windows so it must be better" bigot. Actually reasonably intelligent non-computing people can cope quite well with Linux on the desktop - a couple of relatives use it and I don't get near as many support calls as you might think. A box of cider every 6 months isn't too bad :)

No no, I'm the "I like Windows and 90% of the world is using Windows, and Linux was a HUGE failure in the netbook market so Windows probably has SOMETHING going for it" bigot.

"The end user is a ****ing moron" is usually a safe assumption. Linux isn't ready for the majority of end users. Your relatives are not the norm (note "reasonably intelligent").

Quote from: mike;221909
FUD. The LGPL was created to allow the use of GNU software libraries in commercial software after it was pointed out to GNU that the GPL could be interpreted as preventing their use. Using GNU software from within commercial software is perfectly fine; it's only when you start modifying GNU software that you have to provide the source of the modifications you made.

Yes, and the LGPL is nice for libraries and all, but why should I HAVE to provide the source of the modifications I made? If it's free (read: libre) I should be able to do WHATEVER I want with it, regardless of my intentions. Most Linux users I talk to could give a damn less about that, and want all software to stay virally open so they can spite the man for actually charging money for the software he invested time and effort to write.

Commercial software has been available under Linux for years without anyone going after them. The most significant "you're breaking the GPL" actions have been against embedded device manufacturers who take Linux, make modifications, and release products based on the result.

I'm not talking about commercial software running -under- Linux, I'm talking about commercial software based on, and modifying Linux. If it's "free", I should be able to do whatever I want with it, case closed. It isn't, I still have to adhere to restrictions.

Really need to shave ? How else am I going to store morsels of food for later on ? Be reasonable :)

"Want some onion rings? ...I kept them warm"

BTW: Any code I've released (not a whole lot) is either unlicensed or is covered by whatever license the Internet Software Consortium uses (a bit of hacking on the FDDI support for dhcpd).

Well not all freetards are as reasonable as you. At least when you say free, you mean free. I'll give you that.
« Last Edit: Sat, 11 September 2010, 12:12:51 by ManjyomeThunder »
"Storage": ABS M1, Unicomp Customizer 104, Razer Lycosa, (3) Dell AT101W, GeekHack Space Saver

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
What is the best OS?
« Reply #310 on: Sat, 11 September 2010, 12:25:01 »
I agree, the GPL wankery probably does more to damage Linux's credibility than it does to enhance, not least because when programmers start dabbling in politics that often run counter to the quality of the product they are developing, **** hits the fan.

Offline D-EJ915

What is the best OS?
« Reply #311 on: Sat, 11 September 2010, 13:25:28 »
I use grep pretty much all the freaking time, there's nothing GUI that I've seen which is comparable.  Also shell scripting for downloading multiple files is wonderful.

Offline instantkamera

What is the best OS?
« Reply #312 on: Sat, 11 September 2010, 18:06:00 »
Quote from: ManjyomeThunder;222018
But nobody claims that Windows IS free. Whereas the typical freetard, at least from my experience, can't stop shouting at the top of their voice how awesome Linux is because it's free and they can do WHATEVER they want with it. Linux is not "free" in the sense that it has restrictions as well. It's not stupid to accuse the GPL of hypocritical terms.

Well then it is free-er. No less freedom than Windows, and certainly more in MANY respects.

If it were truly free, I could use the code released under it HOWEVER I WANT, whether it be in an open source project or otherwise. And yes, I know you can close and sell projects that run ON Linux, that wasn't my point.

That IS your point, though. You are arguing in thread about the best OS. The OS is largely a platform you use to do your work, run your apps and address your various hardware resources. Linux does this very well, regardless of the BS about licensing and making modifications.

I was talking about free as in "gratis" there. It defeats the point, because most consumers already have a "free" OS that came with their computer then.

So I should buy a brand new computer every time I want the benefits of a new OS?

Quote from: ManjyomeThunder;222023

"The end user is a ****ing moron" is usually a safe assumption.

You wont get too much argument from me there.

Linux isn't ready for the majority of end users.

I happen to think it is, but don't really care enough to fight you on it. Windows works fine.

Yes, and the LGPL is nice for libraries and all, but why should I HAVE to provide the source of the modifications I made? If it's free (read: libre) I should be able to do WHATEVER I want with it, regardless of my intentions. Most Linux users I talk to could give a damn less about that, and want all software to stay virally open so they can spite the man for actually charging money for the software he invested time and effort to write.

Yes because developers are retards and have no idea what their time is worth. :rollmy****ingeyes:

You keep forgetting that someone actually wrote this software and chose that license. The term "license" actually TELLS you the code isn't 100% free, nor do you OWN it. This particular license allows the original creator of a piece of code to share something freely, and makes sure any changes are like-wise freely shared. If I write software, don't I have that right? The GPL is a valid license in a WHOLE landscape of licenses that fit different needs.

Nobody is forcing you to waste your time coding free patches to GPL'd code, and yet you WILL get the benefit from those who have, along with the rest of the privileges that come with. Likewise, no one is stopping you from closing your own source on YOUR project.

I'm not talking about commercial software running -under- Linux, I'm talking about commercial software based on, and modifying Linux. If it's "free", I should be able to do whatever I want with it, case closed. It isn't, I still have to adhere to restrictions.

So, again, in a thread about the best OS (see loose definition above), you can't see the benefit to linux because you have a personal hang up about a license that dictates how you can MODIFY said OS (not actually USE in it's existing form, which is arguably the point of this discussion)?

Well not all freetards are as reasonable as you. At least when you say free, you mean free. I'll give you that.

What if he says "free to use, distribute AND modify, with the irrevocable requirement of sharing any and all modifications with the same rights and rules" (my kindergarten teacher called this "share and share alike", by the way)? It's his software, so ... you want to automatically take AWAY his right to dictate how his software is used?

The recursive or inalienable right is a very powerful thing to a programmer who may be otherwise blindly releasing his hard work into the wild. Sometimes it fits, sometimes it doesn't. It's certainly better to have the choice (believe it or not, that is part of "Freedom"), than to say "software is either FREE or it's ****ing NOT". We don't live in such a black and white world.

I have, by the way, seen RMS speak. He's a ****ing dirt, and nutball. The world needs the crazies though, we get him and Ann Coulter and many more of their blindly zealous ilk, and we learn from them.
Realforce 86UB - Razer Blackwidow - Dell AT101W - IBM model MCST  LtracX - Kensington Orbit - Logitech Trackman wheel opticalAMD PhenomII x6 - 16GB RAM - SSD - RAIDDell U2211H - Spyder3 - Eye One Display 2

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
What is the best OS?
« Reply #313 on: Sat, 11 September 2010, 18:37:52 »
>  Originally Posted by ManjyomeThunder  View Post
> But nobody claims that Windows IS free.

Windows is free. If it's Microsoft, it's not piracy.
I trolled Geekhack and all I got was an eponymous SPOS.

Offline ManjyomeThunder

What is the best OS?
« Reply #314 on: Sat, 11 September 2010, 18:59:43 »
Quote from: instantkamera;222141
Well then it is free-er. No less freedom than Windows, and certainly more in MANY respects.

Yes, it is more free than Windows, in very very many ways. My only point was that it is not free in its entirety. I dislike when I hear GNU/Linux users talk about how it's free to do "whatever" they want with. Like any licensed code, there are limitations on how you're allowed to use it.

That IS your point, though. You are arguing in thread about the best OS. The OS is largely a platform you use to do your work, run your apps and address your various hardware resources. Linux does this very well, regardless of the BS about licensing and making modifications.

I disagree. Linux is still very limited in terms of "do[ing] your work" and "run[ning] your apps" for the majority of end users. As you'll note, many commercial software applications are available exclusively for the two elephants in the market (Photoshop and Office come to mind) that are deemed industry standard. Sure, there are alternatives (GIMP and Lotus, don't even talk about OO.org, it's a POS) but while they're very good for the price ($0 is very reasonable), they're still not quite on the same level. Those apps, the available software library for a specific platform, is very important in defining usability. And I mean, come on, there's still no stable build of Flash for 64-bit Linux. How will we watch hilarious cat videos?

Linux has its markets, but it's not for the majority of users, home users. They need specific commercial applications, they need to be able to download things and not have to understand why they won't work because they're not using Windows, and they need to be able to just get on the computer and get their **** done without worrying about tinkering around.

So I should buy a brand new computer every time I want the benefits of a new OS?

Windows XP was released in 2001, Vista in 2006 and Windows 7 in 2009. I don't think it's too unreasonable for someone to buy a new machine to utilize each of these operating systems. Hardware does not last forever, and innovation in technology is rapid. But you have a point, not everybody wants to spend money to buy a new machine, so free Linux updates are good there. Then again, most end users could care less and will happily stick with what they got until their computer spontaneously combusts.

I happen to think it is, but don't really care enough to fight you on it. Windows works fine.

And it's because Windows works fine that I fail to see how it isn't the "best" OS. It works fine, it's commercially supported, it's compatible with almost any piece of recent hardware I can think of, and performance is relatively great. Unless you're in the minority who want finer control, what's to complain about? Most people see computers as tools, not a hobby.

Yes because developers are retards and have no idea what their time is worth. :rollmy****ingeyes:

You keep forgetting that someone actually wrote this software and chose that license. The term "license" actually TELLS you the code isn't 100% free, nor do you OWN it. This particular license allows the original creator of a piece of code to share something freely, and makes sure any changes are like-wise freely shared. If I write software, don't I have that right? The GPL is a valid license in a WHOLE landscape of licenses that fit different needs.

Nobody is forcing you to waste your time coding free patches to GPL'd code, and yet you WILL get the benefit from those who have, along with the rest of the privileges that come with. Likewise, no one is stopping you from closing your own source on YOUR project.

Absolutely. The developer did indeed choose that license. I have no problem with those who choose to do so for valid reasons, so long as they don't proclaim the software is free in "every way" as many of the Linux fanatics I run into seem to do. "It's free, it's free, it's completely free!". No, it's not, and like you said, the term license does in fact tell you that. My only point regarding the GPL is that as a license, it's more pro-gratis than it is pro-libre. Whereas the BSD License pretty much gives you the right to do ANYTHING, the GPL has further restrictions as if it's spiting proprietary software. Seems ****ed up to me.

My point about time and effort was about the mindset that seems to be infecting many members of the Linux community. Many of them feel as though all software should be free, and that it's some heinous crime to charge for software. It's absolutely ridiculous. It's great that develops can and do choose to release open source applications, but it takes just as much effort to program as it does to do anything else. Software development is a profession, and MANY people have jobs involved in it. Yet these freetards demonize them as if they're immoral bastards for expecting compensation for their work, because they're used to their mindset of getting everything free.

So, again, in a thread about the best OS (see loose definition above), you can't see the benefit to linux because you have a personal hang up about a license that dictates how you can MODIFY said OS (not actually USE in it's existing form, which is arguably the point of this discussion)?

You're too focused on this licensing thing, it's not the only thing I have against Linux. It just bothers me. I apologize for not making additional points in my original post, but most people consider the "freeness" of Linux to be one of it's major advantages, but I figured I'd start with that.

What if he says "free to use, distribute AND modify, with the irrevocable requirement of sharing any and all modifications with the same rights and rules" (my kindergarten teacher called this "share and share alike", by the way)? It's his software, so ... you want to automatically take AWAY his right to dictate how his software is used?

I don't want people to stop using the GPL, I just want people to understand that if they're using it as a tool of "freedom", they're mistaken. See below point

The recursive or inalienable right is a very powerful thing to a programmer who may be otherwise blindly releasing his hard work into the wild. Sometimes it fits, sometimes it doesn't. It's certainly better to have the choice (believe it or not, that is part of "Freedom"), than to say "software is either FREE or it's ****ing NOT". We don't live in such a black and white world.

Yes, it is a part of freedom to choose to be non-free. That is actually my point. The closest thing to this is the BSD License, where you're allowed to pretty much do what the **** ever. You can keep it open source, you can close it and use it in proprietary projects, it's compatible with the GPL so you can implement it there, etc. I merely hate hearing about how code under the GPL is "free". It has fitting places for use, though.

I have, by the way, seen RMS speak. He's a ****ing dirt, and nutball. The world needs the crazies though, we get him and Ann Coulter and many more of their blindly zealous ilk, and we learn from them.

Quite.

Offline ManjyomeThunder

What is the best OS?
« Reply #315 on: Sat, 11 September 2010, 19:01:42 »
Quote from: ricercar;222162
>  Originally Posted by ManjyomeThunder  View Post
> But nobody claims that Windows IS free.

Windows is free. If it's Microsoft, it's not piracy.

Some kind of moral justification of theft? That doesn't seem very logical. In any case, more than one definition of free. Even if you did get a free ($0) copy of Windows, you're still not free to use it in particular ways. Thus it not being free.

My copy of Windows 7 actually was free ($0). Windows 7 Launch Party ftw.

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
What is the best OS?
« Reply #316 on: Sat, 11 September 2010, 19:10:40 »
I know a real hardcore Stallmanite IRL, when he talks about computers and software, it makes me want to hurt small animals...

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
What is the best OS?
« Reply #317 on: Sat, 11 September 2010, 19:32:34 »
I hope it's not me.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline didjamatic

What is the best OS?
« Reply #318 on: Sat, 11 September 2010, 19:45:12 »
There simply is not a "best OS" for every situation.  They ALL have pros, they ALL have cons and not a single one will do everything best.  If you really wanted to arrive at something, you'd need to define a lot of things that you aren't even discussing.  The intended use, the type of user, budget, requirements, goals and other factors.  Otherwise you're just in who's on first skit.

I could talk for hours about why my Laptop runs Win7 64bit, my desktop XP 32bit, servers at work run Windows and Unix, my personal webserver runs Linux and my mobile is a jailbroken iphone but at the end of my rant would anyone really care or would it sway you from your current opinion?  Not likely.

I'm not singling anyone out when I say this (I've not even read much of the thread) but these arguments are mostly just techno pee-pee measuring contests that fail to accomplish anything.  Seriously.  When you one-up someone with a buzzword or obscure reference you don't sound intelligent, you sound like an insecure douche on a cut and paste binge.  Most who've seen the elephant don't talk about it the most skilled and bright sysadmins, developers and engineers I know are utterly bored by such contests.

Now that I've reinforced your conviction that you know much more than I do, I will retreat to discussions about keyboards.  :)
IBM F :: IBM M :: Northgate :: Cherry G80 :: Realforce :: DAS 4

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
What is the best OS?
« Reply #319 on: Sat, 11 September 2010, 19:46:51 »
I agree with you on the "Best OS for every situation". You don't see Windows Vista on the checkout computers at your supermarket for a reason.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline didjamatic

What is the best OS?
« Reply #320 on: Sat, 11 September 2010, 19:48:57 »
Wow, I just read my post and I sound really grumpy.  I guess it's because i'm on a break from painting my basement.

Offline audioave10

What is the best OS?
« Reply #321 on: Sat, 11 September 2010, 23:51:04 »
I'm not an operating system "geek" and all I really know is XP. Started with 98.
I always trim the fat with it (services I don't need, etc.) Its fast on & off and mostly reliable. I have a PC with Vista ( don't like it much) and one with Windows 7 (64bit) and I like it. I don't mess with antivirus programs and have
never regretted it as I do security with smaller programs that don't bogg down the OS. I'm a gamer so it was my first choice anyway.
DECK Legend "Toxic" - SOLD
96 IBM Model M 82G2383- 95 IBM Model M 92G7453 - SOLD
Cherry G80-3000/Blues
new: MechanicalEagle Z77 RGB/Blues

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
What is the best OS?
« Reply #322 on: Sun, 12 September 2010, 09:17:26 »
Yeah, XP's a good operating system. It just gets the job done with no frills.

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
What is the best OS?
« Reply #323 on: Sun, 12 September 2010, 09:32:03 »
After using Windows 7, it almost pains me to use XP.

I think being stuck with the same OS for 7 years is not good for your health :P

Offline quadibloc

• Layout Fanatic
    • John Savard's Home Page
What is the best OS?
« Reply #324 on: Sun, 12 September 2010, 14:02:46 »
Quote from: microsoft windows;222360
Yeah, XP's a good operating system. It just gets the job done with no frills.
Windows 3.1 got the job done with no frills. Windows 98 got the job done with no frills. But, yes, XP is better than having to cope with Vista.

Offline ManjyomeThunder

What is the best OS?
« Reply #325 on: Sun, 12 September 2010, 15:51:42 »
Quote from: ripster;222456
? Once all the drivers were updated Vista is now a piece of cake.  Still have my Media Center PC running 24/7 on Vista since I see no reason to upgrade it despite having a spare Win7 license lying around.

This. I hate hearing anti-Vista propaganda. Its poor reception was due to a stagnant hardware market and a lack of drivers for the new OS, after people used XP for several years longer than intended. Meanwhile, they bought brand new Macs with updated hardware and wondered what kind of magic must have powered such amazing devices.

Offline didjamatic

What is the best OS?
« Reply #326 on: Sun, 12 September 2010, 16:00:23 »
In fairness to Microsoft, the OEM's pushed and pushed for them to release Vista (a new OS translates into a lot of sales for them) and there was ample time for hardware manufacturers to provide driver support, but many seemed to be asleep at the wheel so early Vista adopters frequently hit driver roadblocks.  But most of that has been resolved with service packs, updates and releases from OEMs and hardware vendors now.

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
What is the best OS?
« Reply #327 on: Sun, 12 September 2010, 17:49:09 »
Quote from: quadibloc;222454
Windows 3.1 got the job done with no frills.

Still does for me. I can browse this forum just fine with Internet Explorer 4 and Windows 3.1.

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
What is the best OS?
« Reply #328 on: Sun, 12 September 2010, 18:04:24 »
Quote from: ManjyomeThunder;222501
I hate hearing anti-Vista propaganda.

Put Vista on computer. Computer does nothing new except crash all the time, and run really slowly.

Put XP back on computer. Computer works fine again.

Simple empirical observation thus suggested that initial Vista releases were ****. Later on I hear that with many updates, and with beefier hardware, Vista was actually a decent OS. This was also around the time that I had switched to pre-Betas of Windows 7 which I found more reliable than either XP or Vista. Go figure.

AFAIK, my constant BSODs were largely caused by nVidia drivers. Apparently nVidia's original Vista drivers were terrible and caused 30% of all of Vista's BSODs in the first year of release. So maybe that wasn't Vista's actual fault, but at the end of the day, XP had the exact same functionality as an OS, worked faster, and was more reliable. Similarly, I hear Vista ran fine on 2GB or more of RAM, which is the minimum I'd want in a Windows 7 machine. But that was early 2007, not late 2009, having a system with 2GB was still a big deal back that. A computer with 1GB was seen as perfectly decent even for a serious computer user. Again, no advantage over XP, and yet it didn't work as well.

Attempting to extrapolate blame to various components is rather trivial and academic when most of your customers find that your new product doesn't work as good as the five year old one it was replacing.

Its poor reception was due to a stagnant hardware market

That might be a valid issue if Vista did something useful that XP didn't. For a very large number of people, that wasn't there. So really what you are advocating is buying new hardware for the sake of seeing a shiny new version of the Windows logo. I like to use computers for doing things.

Meanwhile, they bought brand new Macs with updated hardware and wondered what kind of magic must have powered such amazing devices.

Which were really no much faster than the machines being sold with Vista which were failing horribly.
« Last Edit: Sun, 12 September 2010, 18:16:32 by ch_123 »

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
What is the best OS?
« Reply #329 on: Sun, 12 September 2010, 19:26:45 »
I just don't see any reason to use Vista. It's just stupid. It's main feature is it'll take up ten times the system resources.

Offline ManjyomeThunder

What is the best OS?
« Reply #330 on: Sun, 12 September 2010, 20:10:16 »
Quote from: ch_123;222533
That might be a valid issue if Vista did something useful that XP didn't. For a very large number of people, that wasn't there .... I like to use computers for doing things.

So I'm guessing like, security isn't important, then?

Offline Oqsy

What is the best OS?
« Reply #331 on: Sun, 12 September 2010, 20:13:15 »
jailbroken iOS 4.1
[sigpic]Currently in use: Rosewill RK9000 and CH DT225[/sigpic]
"Private misfortunes make for public welfare."

Offline TexasFlood

What is the best OS?
« Reply #332 on: Sun, 12 September 2010, 20:19:27 »
Quote from: Oqsy;222573
jailbroken iOS 4.1

For a second there I thought you were talking about a Cisco router.  But I guess Apple licenses the name from Cisco.

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
What is the best OS?
« Reply #333 on: Mon, 13 September 2010, 04:20:34 »
Quote from: ManjyomeThunder;222572

Didn't really have security issues with XP, and there isn't much point in having a secure computer that doesn't work.

But I guess Apple licenses the name from Cisco.

Cisco also has an "i Phone" AFAIK.

IBM had an 'i5/OS', although I think the name was changed

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
What is the best OS?
« Reply #334 on: Mon, 13 September 2010, 04:28:25 »
Quote from: ManjyomeThunder;222572

I never had any security issues with XP that Vista didn't solve, and the UAC implementation under Vista was particularly annoying compared with the one that 7 has. Even recently when installing software designed with Vista and 7 in mind, Windows Vista pops up with the thing just about everywhere. Lots of people got pissed off with it, and just turned it off, thus killing one of the main advantages of Vista over XP. Oh well.

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
What is the best OS?
« Reply #335 on: Mon, 13 September 2010, 06:01:39 »
So in other words, the only "advantage" in Vista was whitelisting. And everybody turned it off. Thus making Vista pointless.

Offline Rusty Rat

What is the best OS?
« Reply #336 on: Mon, 13 September 2010, 06:18:21 »
Quote from: microsoft windows;222532
Still does for me. I can browse this forum just fine with Internet Explorer 4 and Windows 3.1.
You gotta be joking - what about security? MS have been trying to get people away from IE6 because of the crap security.
I suppose MS issued a bulletin about IE4 but its in the Smithsonian.

Offline itlnstln

What is the best OS?
« Reply #337 on: Mon, 13 September 2010, 07:34:18 »
Windows 7.  I just installed it on my new work laptop.  I bought my own HDD to put it on (one of these).  That way, if the IT police roll up, I can swap them out and don't have to worry about it being out of compliance.

Offline mcbrite

What is the best OS?
« Reply #338 on: Mon, 13 September 2010, 07:37:34 »
So I'll be the noob that chooses Windows 7... :D

Has been stable for like a year without noticable slow-down and I love the usability, like dragging windows onto other screens and automatically maximizing or fitting to half screen...

Windows 2000 was very stable also, but not very compatible with games... So that should be third...

Second would have to go to XP since I had it the longest... But my favorite XP was the Last XP and Black XP and other modded versions...

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
What is the best OS?
« Reply #339 on: Mon, 13 September 2010, 10:38:46 »
Old web browsers create a vicious circle whereby people say "Well, this old version of IE/Netscape/Mozilla(etc) lets me do what I need to do, so why do I need a better browser?". Then web developers can't upgrade their sites because the people viewing it have browsers that can't support new things, then nothing gets done, so the people who stick to their old browsers feel vindicated that what they have can still 'do the job'.

Offline Rusty Rat

What is the best OS?
« Reply #340 on: Mon, 13 September 2010, 10:51:35 »
I fired up an old machine with WIN 3.11 a few weeks ago, good for its time but a real pain and antique by today’s standards. Like a vintage car, OK for a very occasional drive – but you wouldn’t use it for anything serious these days.

I think that over the years I have used them all but XP Pro gave the least trouble. Vista was released too early without proper driver support and so earned a filthy reputation. Have been using WIN7 Pro since release and its a pleasure to use – a real incremental improvement. An OS is there is help you get your main work done so WIN7 is an obvious winner.

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
What is the best OS?
« Reply #341 on: Mon, 13 September 2010, 18:31:22 »
Quote from: Rusty Rat;222737
I fired up an old machine with WIN 3.11 a few weeks ago, good for its time but a real pain and antique by today’s standards. Like a vintage car, OK for a very occasional drive – but you wouldn’t use it for anything serious these days.

I think that over the years I have used them all but XP Pro gave the least trouble. Vista was released too early without proper driver support and so earned a filthy reputation. Have been using WIN7 Pro since release and its a pleasure to use – a real incremental improvement. An OS is there is help you get your main work done so WIN7 is an obvious winner.

First of all, I browse the forum with Internet Explorer 4 on Windows 3.1.

Second, I drive a 40-year-old car to work every day.

Offline Oqsy

What is the best OS?
« Reply #342 on: Mon, 13 September 2010, 22:26:22 »
Ripster: he *does* have that Michael Cera about-to-cry quality to his voice...
[sigpic]Currently in use: Rosewill RK9000 and CH DT225[/sigpic]
"Private misfortunes make for public welfare."

Offline Xuan

What is the best OS?
« Reply #343 on: Wed, 15 September 2010, 23:04:25 »
Quote from: Oqsy;223018
Ripster: he *does* have that Michael Cera about-to-cry quality to his voice...

Sounds like keamy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujgbvwlVDkE

Offline netwebber

What is the best OS?
« Reply #344 on: Thu, 16 September 2010, 00:40:26 »
Quote from: ripster;222748
Don't forget the new Windows keyboard shortcuts.  Give those arrow keys a workout.  Unless of course you have a HHKB.  Then prepare for some contortions.

Thanks for that! The keyboard shortcut is so much better than "drag-and-dock," especially multiple monitors. I just upgraded to Win7. The Thinkpad keyboard customizer utility already lets me take care of the Windows key on PS/2 keyboards--Right Alt FTW. AltGr is afraid of me now.
« Last Edit: Thu, 16 September 2010, 00:43:11 by netwebber »
Keyboards: IBM M15 adjustable ergonomic | Northgate Omnikey Evolution w/ Touchpad | IBM Model M 1391401 | TG3 BLT 5RBUVS tenkeyless | MS Natural Keyboard Pro | MS Natural Keyboard Original (Black) | IBM UltraNav Travel Slim Keyboard | Chicony ThinkPad T60 keyboard in Lenovo ThinkPad T400 | IBM ThinkPad T42p | MS Arc Wireless | Logitech K350 Wireless
Pointing Devices: Logitech G500 | Logitech Anywhere Mouse MX | IBM ScrollPoint Optical | Razer Boomslang | On laptops: Trackpoint for pointing, touchpad for scrolling--The True Way
Other: Belkin/Razer Speedpad n52te | Adesso Mechanical Numpad (Cherry Blues) | Wacom Intuos2
Game Controllers: MS Sidewinder Force Feedback Pro | Gravis Exterminator

Offline MissileMike

What is the best OS?
« Reply #345 on: Thu, 16 September 2010, 07:51:15 »
I have computers with Windows, OSX, and Linux that I use every day.  I am typing this on a macbook pro 17" right now.

I choose Windows 7
BS: 5 Space Savers  ||  9 42H  ||  10 1391401 or similar  ||  1x 1390131  || AT&T 305b  ||  Dell Model M
Cherry: Leopold FC200RC/AB  ||  3 Ducky 1087  ||  PLU ML87 ||  Cherry G80-8113LUVEU-2  browns
Alps: Filco Zero Tenkeyless (fukka)  ||  ABS M1  ||  3x Dell AT101w  ||  Ancer KF-191  ||  6 Vivanco Compact
Misc: NMB RT6855T+  ||  NMB RT101 Space Invader  ||  Dell Quietkey  ||  Ge Fanuc Industrial Metal

Offline keyboardlover

What is the best OS?
« Reply #346 on: Thu, 16 September 2010, 09:11:02 »
Quote from: MissileMike;223873
I have computers with Windows, OSX, and Linux that I use every day.  I am typing this on a macbook pro 17" right now.

I choose Windows 7

Me too...I prefer it over Linux and osx.

Offline platon

What is the best OS?
« Reply #347 on: Thu, 16 September 2010, 12:58:16 »
I have computers with Windows XP, Windows 7, Mac OS X, and Linux that I use every day.

I choose Mac OS X

Offline zwmalone

What is the best OS?
« Reply #348 on: Thu, 16 September 2010, 13:16:38 »
Mac OS X definitely... I grew up with Windows (didn't everybdy?). Finally fed up I switched to linux and really pursued programming... Landed a Job as a Ruby on Rails developer, supplied a 17" MacBook Pro, and fell in love with Snow Leopard and it's Unix-ness.
Can't get enough of them ALPS

Offline keyboardlover

What is the best OS?
« Reply #349 on: Thu, 16 September 2010, 13:22:06 »
Maybe its just me but I find OS x annoying...the GUI and windowing is awkward and the filesystem is a bit odd (much different from Linux). Also I hate how u have to file-close every program lol. Guess its just me because I know a lot of folks that love it :D