geekhack Marketplace > Interest Checks

[IC] Beezenbach70 - Compact F-Rowless 60-70% w/ Rotary Encoders and OLED display

(1/10) > >>

ckarini:

Beezenbach70
A compact F-Rowless 60-70% board with Rotary Encoders and OLED display.

* IC Form
* Discord Server
* Renders Album
* Plastic Protoype Album

Designed to be slim and compact while retaining dedicated arrow keys and the added functionality of dual rotary encoders.
The original goal of this design was to make a 65% board that didn't rely on hobbyist keycap sets to fit.
(Don't worry, alternative layouts are still supported).
A full-sized keycap set can cover the standard layout found on a 60%, but the Beezenbach70 adds the arrow keys and home/end pgup/pgdn cluster of a 65%.
The lack of F-row keys allows the board to be slimmer than a standard 75% or TLK.

Overview:

Price: TBD - Projected < $350 USD
Typing Angle: 7°
Front Height: 19.5mm
Case Variants: Standard, HHKB
Plate: 1.5mm Brass/Aluminum/POM Plate
PCB: Assembled SMT / soldered PCB with daughterboard (Currently Soldered through-hole PCB with Proton-C Drop-in)
Firmware: QMK
Switches: MX
Materials: 6063 Aluminum top/bottom chassis, Brass plate

Supported Layouts

Supported layouts include:

* ANSI
* ISO
* Standard and Winkey-less/HHKB bottom row
* Stepped Capslock
* Split Backspace
* Short Right Shift

Features

The top right cluster features two independently-programmable Rotary Encoders, and a .91 inch OLED screen for displaying dial modes and active layers. The inclusion of AST1109MLTRQ speakers allows for a feature-full board, while respecting valuable desk space.

The housing for the dials and screen was designed to make the angled OLED display sit at an angle unobscured by hands and keycaps from a sitting position. It also allows the rotary encoders to be mounted to the PCB while incorporating them into the rest of the case design.

Case Design

The case sits with a 7 degree typing angle and high profile. A sandwich mounted brass plate/PCB is used to attach the aluminum top bezel to the bottom chassis. The material for the dial/screen housing is still being tested - while plastic is currently functional and cost effective, various metal options are being looked into.

Currently the case has been 3D printed, fully assembled, and is functional. A thicker 3D printed plate was used and proved to be a viable solution as well. Depending on feedback, 3D printed cases may be considered for production at a lower price, at the cost of weight, sound, and durability.

PCB Design

The project started using a Proton-C as a drop in solderable kit, but 85% of the interest checks have specified either a normal PCB with solderable or hotswap switches. I wanted to make it clear that I am making the full PCB, and when it's completed I'll be looking into the additional costs of making it hotswappable.

Pricing / Progress

Aluminum case designs have been sent to a few manufacturers and quoted, and prototype orders will be placed soon. More accurate pricing will be updated as promptly as possible as I know it's a large factor for anyone involved. I can't set a definite price pending, and the demand is known. But given what I do know, I am aiming for $300-$350 USD. This is not based on any specific quote, this is my own assessment at the moment.

About the Project

The Beezenbach name is taken from Bartholomew "Beezer" Beezenbach; the main character of Ed Brubaker's "Dead Enders" comic book series. As a scrappy, resourceful, and curious young adult- I felt the Beezenbach70 PCB had the same posture. If you've never heard of it, don't worry- this isn't a character-based board, it is solely named from similarity.

This is my first interest check, but I have been designing, programming, building, testing, lurking, and enjoying mechanical keyboards for over 3 years now. The Beezenbach70 is the first of those that has been made from top to bottom, while potentially serving a purpose to more people than just myself.

Thank you to anyone providing feedback and questions. I'll be posting any progress/updates here, and on Discord.

Beezenbach70

IC Form
Discord Server
Renders Album
Plastic Protoype Album

ckarini:
Reserved

jewleeuhn:
Wait this design is actually pretty cute

Cubic // esc lab:
Interesting designs! GLWIC!

ckarini:

--- Quote from: jewleeuhn on Fri, 02 April 2021, 12:31:50 ---Wait this design is actually pretty cute

--- End quote ---
Thanks! I was happy with how it turned out, and a few others shown some interest, so here we are.  ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version