geekhack Marketplace > Interest Checks

[IC] DCS Honeywell

(1/23) > >>

huey:

DCS Honeywell

Imagine reading ICs in 2021
IC Form

Introduction
Hello Geekhack. I have been disgruntled with the lack of options when it comes to Signature Plastics DCS. Barring a few projects that have been going on over the last few months, there have been very little in ways of offerings for DCS.
This, and an admiration for the timeless colour-way that is Honeywell, together has prompted the idea of trying to organise a run of DCS Honeywell.

History
MoreThe Honeywell colourway is one that takes its colours from a series of vintage terminal boards. These boards were produced and sold by the Honeywell brand a few decades after the acquisition of the Micro-Switch company and associated trademarks in 1950. These used their now distinguished SD series of Hall Effect switches. The caps used were very thick, tall, spherical, double-shot caps; and were made in a few configurations for different use-cases, whilst generally maintaining a familiar colour scheme. The Honeywell colour scheme as we know it in our modern use incorporates the grey and white scheme with the additions of red accents that have become timeless over the many years and rounds - This project is no different, though it is missing a black numpad…
Colours
The colours used will be WKF (alpha), GPA (mods), and RAS (accents). Please don’t take this picture as a colour accurate source.
More
Kitting

This base kit supports ANSI/(UK)ISO 104, 1800, F13, Tsangan/MX HHKB, basic alice, and dirty mod pipe/tilde users. It also includes the choice of barred or nippled homing F, J and 5 keys.

Kitting is by no means final. I will be keeping an active eye on feedback and make reasonable changes as and when based on thematic choices and compatibility for the community.

The biggest point of contention I have is alice/split spacebar support. SP DCS spec states that spacebars under 3u are not produced convex (like normal spacebars), but are concave (like shifts).
This means there is no functional (albeit, aesthetic) difference from using shifts as spacebars. This is the reason I haven't supported those layouts out-right, but I am open to supporting them given the popularity of the layout. In the IC form, you can vote whether this should be added considering the information given.

I am going back and forth on legend for the mods, and haven't made a definite decision. I will be sticking with text+icon, but SP has options to choose from. For now, the renders will reflect the "stock" mod legending until final changes have been made, and finalised renders can be... rendered.

Renders

Boards rendered:
Flamingo by Geon
Evolv by NathanAlphaMan
A Keyboard
Qs and As

MoreWill you remove UK-ISO from base?
No.

Ne alice/split space support avail?
Read the kitting section carefully.

Lmao why DCS? It's trash.
No.

No child kits?
DCS interest quite obviously isn't very high comparatively to other profiles. Adding child kits is certainly an option for more compat, but is also a point of failure.
If there is a decent amount of interest, I would love to add more compat and thematic choices via child kits/shifting kitting. But I'm not banking on it.

10u?
Yes please.

Estimate pricing?
I think it’s a bit of a pipe dream, but if a 200 MOQ could be met. Then my target price would be $110 (or less) with this base kit in mind. This obviously isn’t a final price.

Thanks/Credit
Credit to Miruim and 7bit for bringing this classic colourway to us in the first place via Deskthority.
Thanks to livingspeedbump/Andy for his blessing.
Thanks to friends that have given their time to provide me with feedback.
Thanks to Seoulcialite for the valuable information he has given to me.
Thanks to NathanAlphaMan for doing fantastic renders. It's great to see DCS models getting better and better.

of_sam:
There are too many words for my tiny brain. I like the colors. What is the cone board?

Alessio:
reserved

MIGHTY CHICKEN:
Interesting

Jampot_298:
nice

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version