Author Topic: [IC] KAT Monochrome - GB September 1st! - Update: Prices!  (Read 59798 times)

Offline kidviddy

• 駄日記
Re: [IC] KAT Monochrome - huge kit update
« Reply #50 on: Mon, 08 June 2020, 09:25:35 »
Just because KATY WoB is now officially dead,
Any chance of a Hiragana Alphas kit?
Pretty please?

Show Image

I just want to turn this render into reality, that's all  :( :

Show Image

This is something that got required a couple of times already so I'll definitely look into this and I might look into other alternative alphas if requested :)

If you are considering hiragana alphas -- and I'm thrilled that you are -- and if you're using KAT WoB as a guide, I will re-iterate the points I made in the KAT WoB thread:

• As pointed out by konstantin, replace べ and ぺ with either unadorned ゛ and ゜, or the version with circles or boxes to show placement: ◌゛ ◌゜ (for boxed versions take a look at the Apple keyboard or Masterpiece)
  • Add an R4 [ー] key
  • Add an R2 [む] key
  • Add an R1 [ろ] key
  • For bonus points, but not essential like the previous four: add an R1 version of the [ー] key as well.  This is handy for 40%/50% ortho users, as well as ISO users potentially, who might want to put it left of the Z if they are using ろ in the top-left.

These extra keys could either go in with the hiragana alphas kit or in the Japan kit I requested earlier; my preference would be just to include them in with the hiragana alphas as it's not that many more keys and they might be useful for people who don't need the JIS functionality provided by the Japan kit.

If you can manage correct JIS hiragana alphas, *and* the Japan Kit for full JIS support on the original set as well... omg, I am going to be so all-in on this set it's not even funny.  I might even buy two of everything.

As always, I'm happy to answer any questions, either here or on discord.  I tried to click the discord button in your original post but as somebody else mentioned, the link has expired.  I'm kidviddy#3465 if you'd like to get in touch :-)

Offline harlekein

« Reply #51 on: Mon, 08 June 2020, 09:43:26 »
Wow, so many kits.  :eek:

I'm not complaining, but I was thinking the following:

You could easily reduce the number of kits by merging some of the small overhead. Fox example, if you'd offer both white and black space keys in the black ortho kits (icon and text), you'd have two fewer ortho kits. Some buyers might see it as a bonus that they can go either WoB or Monochome with the same kit. Same goes for Monochrome/BoW Colevrak kits. Those could easily be merged.

For the ISO kits you could do the opposite, merge Monochrome with WoB.

If it doesn't matter to you or your vendors, by all means, leave it as it is. Just wanted to throw this idea out there.
« Last Edit: Mon, 08 June 2020, 09:46:15 by harlekein »

Offline pcire

« Reply #52 on: Mon, 08 June 2020, 11:36:31 »
+1 for hiragana alphas

Offline Radium

« Reply #53 on: Mon, 08 June 2020, 11:43:01 »
Well done bro. It is simple but very unique. When will gb begin?

Offline synthtastic

« Reply #54 on: Mon, 08 June 2020, 12:21:17 »
Pretty please?

Show Image

Show Image

This is something that got required a couple of times already so I'll definitely look into this and I might look into other alternative alphas if requested :)

That would be amazing...
Expensive plastic makes me sigh.

Offline Upstart5

« Reply #55 on: Mon, 08 June 2020, 17:38:26 »
Love that you were able to add the full WoB and BoW kits for 40's! Thank goodness for how MoQ works with KAT. Definitely joining this GB when it's available.

Is there a discord that I can follow for updates alongside GH?

Offline ilikerustoo

« Reply #56 on: Tue, 09 June 2020, 02:35:49 »
Any arabic avail?

Offline Tyson

« Reply #57 on: Tue, 09 June 2020, 02:36:14 »
What are the chances for Katakana alphas?

Offline nguyenhimself

« Reply #58 on: Wed, 10 June 2020, 01:56:21 »
Pretty please?

Show Image

Show Image

If you are considering hiragana alphas -- and I'm thrilled that you are -- and if you're using KAT WoB as a guide, I will re-iterate the points I made in the KAT WoB thread:

• As pointed out by konstantin, replace べ and ぺ with either unadorned ゛ and ゜, or the version with circles or boxes to show placement: ◌゛ ◌゜ (for boxed versions take a look at the Apple keyboard or Masterpiece)
  • Add an R4 [ー] key
  • Add an R2 [む] key
  • Add an R1 [ろ] key
  • For bonus points, but not essential like the previous four: add an R1 version of the [ー] key as well.  This is handy for 40%/50% ortho users, as well as ISO users potentially, who might want to put it left of the Z if they are using ろ in the top-left.

These extra keys could either go in with the hiragana alphas kit or in the Japan kit I requested earlier; my preference would be just to include them in with the hiragana alphas as it's not that many more keys and they might be useful for people who don't need the JIS functionality provided by the Japan kit.

If you can manage correct JIS hiragana alphas, *and* the Japan Kit for full JIS support on the original set as well... omg, I am going to be so all-in on this set it's not even funny.  I might even buy two of everything.

As always, I'm happy to answer any questions, either here or on discord.  I tried to click the discord button in your original post but as somebody else mentioned, the link has expired.  I'm kidviddy#3465 if you'd like to get in touch :-)
Why make a simple kit more compicated and expensive when it's obvious nobody is buying this to actually type Japanese?
After all, even Japanese folks also use Latin alphas anyway.
It's pure aesthetic.
So: KISS.

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #59 on: Wed, 10 June 2020, 08:40:08 »
Why make a simple kit more compicated and expensive when it's obvious nobody is buying this to actually type Japanese?
After all, even Japanese folks also use Latin alphas anyway.
It's pure aesthetic.
So: KISS.

Because: a) correctness matters; b) it's only three extra keys, which makes pretty much no difference; c) some people obviously do use it.

Offline JSaintS

• Formerly eNrageDSainT
    • JSaintS
« Reply #60 on: Wed, 10 June 2020, 08:48:47 »
I will try and have a look at that kit in more depth in the coming days and check the different languages asked - if anyone has an .SVG file I could use with those characters already in it (like hiragana, hangul, etc.) it would greatly help me.

In the meantime, I created a discord server so it is easier to share thoughts/requests/etc. It's probably going to be a small discord and I don't expect many people to join, but feel free to hope in :)

>> Discord invite here (this time it works)

Offline i luv chuletas

« Reply #61 on: Wed, 10 June 2020, 10:49:26 »
Pretty please?

Show Image

Show Image

Have to join the voices asking for mono hiragana alphas kit, would look pretty sick. Also having a monochrome option would be amazing to keep the theme for this!

Offline vsrnth

« Reply #62 on: Wed, 10 June 2020, 13:43:56 »
Would it be possible to add the escape key with the skull on it from OneCreativeMind's KAT WoB as a novelty?

My apologies if this request is out of line. I'm only asking because it looks absolutely phenomenal

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Offline Tyson

« Reply #63 on: Wed, 10 June 2020, 15:25:10 »
Would it be possible to add the escape key with the skull on it from OneCreativeMind's KAT WoB as a novelty?

My apologies if this request is out of line. I'm only asking because it looks absolutely phenomenal

That's OCM's logo, I doubt it would be in this set since he did not design it.

Offline JSaintS

• Formerly eNrageDSainT
    • JSaintS
« Reply #64 on: Wed, 10 June 2020, 16:13:05 »

That's OCM's logo, I doubt it would be in this set since he did not design it.

Tyson is a 100% right, I asked if OCM wanted me to include his icon as an homage to him but he said it wasn't necessary and I fully understand it.

Speaking of OCM, he has generously offered to send me the Hiragana Alphas and I'll be putting the kit together tomorrow - I'll also look for the correct legends for other languages :)

Last but not least, I got contacted a couple of days ago to update the novelty kit to add a second R2 novelty to offer full compatibility for boards like the ION x RAMA Zenith board, so here are the updated novelty kits:

Offline Bl4ck

« Reply #65 on: Wed, 10 June 2020, 17:48:13 »
hmmn hmmn, ne Salvun keycap avail? :)

Offline nathanchere

« Reply #66 on: Thu, 11 June 2020, 08:33:45 »
In terms of sheer versatility this is the most exciting keycap set I have ever seen. Awesome work on the kits

Offline vsrnth

« Reply #67 on: Fri, 12 June 2020, 02:55:23 »
^^ we need this

« Reply #68 on: Fri, 12 June 2020, 22:08:07 »
You going for the darkest black and with those fonts? sign me in for a full WoB set! i personally prefer your fonts than the refined WoB set! Awesome!

Till when do you plan to run this IC?

Offline JSaintS

• Formerly eNrageDSainT
    • JSaintS
« Reply #69 on: Sat, 13 June 2020, 01:52:26 »
You going for the darkest black and with those fonts? sign me in for a full WoB set! i personally prefer your fonts than the refined WoB set! Awesome!

Till when do you plan to run this IC?

I'm still working on some kits (Alphas) and then I'll send everything to get quotes as, according to feedback, no huge change is necessary - I'll post here the kits I've been working on.

The estimated GB date was/is September 1st, if everything goes according to plan - all vendors have confirmed it worked for them :) But there will be an official announcement when I get the quotes ;)

Offline lamonayon

« Reply #70 on: Mon, 15 June 2020, 11:25:28 »
Definitely interested!  Just joined the Discord group as well!

Offline Radium

« Reply #71 on: Tue, 16 June 2020, 11:09:30 »
Simple is the best bro :D

Offline Yilk81

« Reply #72 on: Tue, 16 June 2020, 13:53:42 »
A separate ortho kit from the 40's? Nice!
Colevrak too? Double nice!

Might have to keep a close eye on this one.

Offline mvkoto

« Reply #73 on: Sun, 21 June 2020, 17:30:25 »
Just read through both pages of the post - was wondering when I was going to see the japanese kit get put in since I found this post through TX Keyboards' page: https://www.us.txkeyboards.com/.

Side-note, i feel so special since the rama zenith was considered during this process. I just bought the board :)

Offline JSaintS

• Formerly eNrageDSainT
    • JSaintS
« Reply #74 on: Mon, 22 June 2020, 05:29:01 »
Just read through both pages of the post - was wondering when I was going to see the japanese kit get put in since I found this post through TX Keyboards' page: https://www.us.txkeyboards.com/.

Side-note, i feel so special since the rama zenith was considered during this process. I just bought the board :)

Nice catch ;) I was waiting to have all languages kit available before posting in here (although I've already shared the hiragana renders on my discord).

Here is a list of what will be coming:
* Hiragana
* Hangul
* Arabic
* Zhuyin
* Latin (of course)

I'm going to stop there as I think that represents a nice combination of non latin alphas :)

This is coming ;) He is excited about the set and we already agreed on him making a key (or two, not sure yet) for the set :)

Offline CrlaoSvloadr

« Reply #75 on: Thu, 25 June 2020, 13:05:41 »
Some really wonderful things happening here! The plentiful kits is fantastic and I can't wait to see them come to forwishen.
Staying tuned for updates on the upcoming language sets!
Here is a list of what will be coming:
* Hiragana
* Hangul
* Arabic
* Zhuyin
* Latin (of course)
And it gets better! Really good stuff here.

Offline sevenseacat

« Reply #76 on: Fri, 26 June 2020, 08:30:17 »
at least with soooo many kits, pricing should be good because MOQ can be stupid high and it'll still be met :D

Offline JSaintS

• Formerly eNrageDSainT
    • JSaintS
« Reply #77 on: Fri, 26 June 2020, 08:42:55 »
Hello Everyone,

As of right now, KAT Monochrome is guaranteed to have:
* Latin
* Hangul
* Hiragana
* Arabic

But considering a couple of requests I have had recently, I need your help to decide the last one kit between:
* Zhuyin (Chinese)
* Cyrillic

https://strawpoll.com/2ybggbdz3

Thanks a lot for your time :heart:

If you want to chat or check the progress of the kits/GB in real time, you can join the discord here: https://discord.gg/9eZQcaW

Offline SilverJS

« Reply #78 on: Mon, 29 June 2020, 18:27:22 »
Any updates on this?  Really excited about it, good job OP.

Offline Joaquox

« Reply #79 on: Tue, 30 June 2020, 00:23:04 »
Hello Everyone,

As of right now, KAT Monochrome is guaranteed to have:
* Latin
* Hangul
* Hiragana
* Arabic

But considering a couple of requests I have had recently, I need your help to decide the last one kit between:
* Zhuyin (Chinese)
* Cyrillic

https://strawpoll.com/2ybggbdz3

Thanks a lot for your time :heart:

If you want to chat or check the progress of the kits/GB in real time, you can join the discord here: https://discord.gg/9eZQcaW

Wow, that's great news! Might snag an extra arabic kit, their letters just look so good!

Offline alper_maestro

« Reply #80 on: Tue, 30 June 2020, 03:43:19 »
When will the GB start?

Offline lakeboredom

« Reply #81 on: Tue, 30 June 2020, 04:22:19 »
Okay why are there entire mod kits for alternating F keys. Just make kits for alternate F-Row colors instead of entire mod sets.

Offline JSaintS

• Formerly eNrageDSainT
    • JSaintS
« Reply #82 on: Tue, 30 June 2020, 04:25:03 »
Okay why are there entire mod kits for alternating F keys. Just make kits for alternate F-Row colors instead of entire mod sets.

Like that you can get exactly what you want without having to think about getting another F-Row kit and that lowers the amount of keys you will not use :) I know it's only 8 keys, but that is the idea :)

Offline lakeboredom

« Reply #83 on: Tue, 30 June 2020, 04:53:08 »

Like that you can get exactly what you want without having to think about getting another F-Row kit and that lowers the amount of keys you will not use :) I know it's only 8 keys, but that is the idea :)
I see youre thinking, but it also makes it difficult for people who want to use both without buying two sets of mods.

Offline JSaintS

• Formerly eNrageDSainT
    • JSaintS
« Reply #84 on: Tue, 30 June 2020, 04:58:59 »
Hello Everyone,

Alpine65 - WoB Hiragana Alpha | WoB Icon Modifiers | WoB novelties

I have made a couple of changes to existing kits - here is what changed:

* Added Arabic Alphas (both WoB and BoW)
* Added Hiragana Alphas (both WoB and BoW)
* Added a R3 "Up" key to all modifiers kits
* Merged the Monochrome and the BoW Colevrak+ kit as the only difference was the two backspace keys
* Updated the kit renders reflecting the change from flat keys to scooped (Alphas and Numpad kits - will check what to do for colevrak+)
* Updated the confirmed artisans list
* Updated the render Gallery with a couple more renders :)

Bear60 - BoW Arabic Alpha | BoW Icon Modifiers

Offline eskimojo

• KeycapLendar
« Reply #85 on: Tue, 30 June 2020, 05:10:48 »
* Added a R3 "Up" key to all modifiers kits

oh hell yeah

edit:
any chance of r4 pause being added to the numpad kit, for full 1800 support?  ;)
« Last Edit: Tue, 30 June 2020, 05:14:17 by eskimojo »

Offline CoolMike

• Mechs & Co.
    • Mechs & Co.
« Reply #86 on: Thu, 02 July 2020, 10:37:58 »
This theme ...... someone grab me a scotch.

Love it JSaint.

Offline Dennyroxsox

• a.k.a. Lollipopsaurus
« Reply #87 on: Mon, 06 July 2020, 10:49:03 »
I would definitely be in for this!

Offline vidoardes

« Reply #88 on: Mon, 06 July 2020, 12:03:02 »
You son of a *****, I'm in!

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Offline Binyu

• Art Commissions
« Reply #89 on: Thu, 09 July 2020, 05:25:59 »
This looks amazing, definitely going to be watching for these when the GB comes

Offline LolChocotaco

« Reply #90 on: Thu, 09 July 2020, 13:42:21 »
I'm growing a mustache just to match this set.

Offline anubizs

« Reply #91 on: Tue, 14 July 2020, 08:38:08 »
Any updates on this? I really look forward on this keysets.

Offline JSaintS

• Formerly eNrageDSainT
    • JSaintS
« Reply #92 on: Tue, 14 July 2020, 09:36:30 »
Any updates on this? I really look forward on this keysets.

Updates coming soon :) Working on the last couple of kits and getting renders for various alphas before I go live with what should be the last update before getting quotes (with 50+ kits, they'll probably take 3-4 weeks to get the quotes done haha)

Offline Muchacho

« Reply #93 on: Wed, 15 July 2020, 13:46:37 »
Would it be possible to have more "standard" modifiers kits ?

I actually believe that text + icons are more common than text-only modifiers, which themselves more common than icon-only modifiers.

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #94 on: Wed, 15 July 2020, 14:01:06 »
I actually believe that text + icons are more common than text-only modifiers, which themselves more common than icon-only modifiers.

Not in KAT profile. Every KAT set so far has either been text-only or icon-only. Although icon+text could be something to try out in the future.

Offline Muchacho

« Reply #95 on: Wed, 15 July 2020, 14:09:01 »

Not in KAT profile. Every KAT set so far has either been text-only or icon-only. Although icon+text could be something to try out in the future.

Or now ? :D

Anyway, if it does not happen on KAT Monochrome I will get those of KAT Refined:

More

The only reason I'm not taking KAT Refined is because of the non-centered alpha. But does not bother me that much for modifiers and it's quite usual to see centered alpha + non-centered modifiers.

Offline JSaintS

• Formerly eNrageDSainT
    • JSaintS
« Reply #96 on: Wed, 15 July 2020, 14:41:26 »

Or now ? :D

Anyway, if it does not happen on KAT Monochrome I will get those of KAT Refined:

More
Show Image

The only reason I'm not taking KAT Refined is because of the non-centered alpha. But does not bother me that much for modifiers and it's quite usual to see centered alpha + non-centered modifiers.

Unfortunately this is not a style that I really enjoyed and it has always bothered me with GMK keysets. I am probably going to keep it text/icons only but I appreciate the feedback :)

Offline harlekein

« Reply #97 on: Wed, 22 July 2020, 08:57:27 »

Unfortunately this is not a style that I really enjoyed and it has always bothered me with GMK keysets. I am probably going to keep it text/icons only but I appreciate the feedback :)

Thank you! I can't stand text + icon mods.

Offline tobold

« Reply #98 on: Thu, 23 July 2020, 06:06:03 »
registered on geekhack just to say this set is great and I'm looking forward to buying it 👍

Offline -Jerry-

• OR '1'='1'
    • Jerry Talks Tech
« Reply #99 on: Thu, 23 July 2020, 06:29:48 »
So refined and monochromatic.

"Romeo"     "Split75"   "Melody96"     "KBD8X MKII"     "Womier K87"