Author Topic: Cherry MX Reds vs Browns  (Read 34008 times)

Offline enoy21

Cherry MX Reds vs Browns
« on: Mon, 10 October 2011, 08:54:50 »
Here is my predicimant.

I went from rubber domes to Blue switches which I really love and make it much harder to type on this crappy Dell here at work.  
I'm ok with the blues , but think I would prefer the plastic on plastic full bodied Clack over the click for the most part.
I don't mind bottoming out and don't have a special desire to learn touch typing.

I like blacks ok, but they seem very stiff on this old Wyse60 I have as a test bed after using blues.  So I've narrowed it down to browns vs reds for typing and FPS gaming.

It MUST be a standard 80% Tenkeyless. I don't care for the mini's arrow placement as I use those keys alot.

I feel like I would prefer Reds over Browns for gaming , but they are really hard to find in the States at the moment on a TenKeyless of high quality so I'm considering just going for browns as I'm fairly confident I will like those fine, but I don't really want a "safe" bet when I know there is a chance for "typing on a cloud of boobs".    

So from people who have both , which is your preference and why; How different are they really?  (I saw a review say they are all hype )
Some people say Browns have virtually unnoticeable tactility , others say it's pretty noticeable.
Some say the reds feel a little firmer than browns because the full force is required for the user to realize they are activated.

I'm just looking for a direct comparison of the two in feel as I don't see alot of sites giving that information.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts on this.
« Last Edit: Mon, 10 October 2011, 09:08:38 by enoy21 »
WASD 104 work
WASD 104 home
WASD 104 [not my style]
Filco MJ2 Ninja 87 [sold]

Offline Glockateer

Cherry MX Reds vs Browns
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 10 October 2011, 09:08:44 »
Browns and reds have the same actuation force.  All I can say is, there is a soft tactile bump for browns whereas reds are a smooth linear force all the way down. For gaming I normally say browns but I'm sure some people enjoy their linear keys, too. So I can't say which you prefer. Red tenkeyless is easiest from CM storm quick fire off pchome (when it comes in stock again you have to be quick) or leopold TKL preorder starting on the 13th. PLU boards have reds, too, but I have no personal experience with the quality or the possible 2kro. Browns are easier to find, of course.

Offline Wogrim

Cherry MX Reds vs Browns
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 10 October 2011, 10:34:18 »
elitekeyboards is supposed to have leopold tenkeyless reds in about 2 weeks

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
Cherry MX Reds vs Browns
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 10 October 2011, 11:58:02 »
This is my fav board. My preferred switch is Brown. However, Reds would be my second for sure. There's something about the slight tactility is a Brown switch that makes it feel much crisper. Also, there's the fact that Brown boards are much easier to acquire (for some reason I still don't understand). I just wish my MJ1 had the tactility that my MJ2 does. My MJ1 feels almost like reds :(

For a tenkeyless Red, I'd recommend the PLU ML87. It's $80 before shipping, and even though it's not NKRO, I had one for a few months and gamed on it without a single hitch.

Offline enoy21

Cherry MX Reds vs Browns
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 10 October 2011, 12:15:10 »
Rubber domes have a natural slight tactility don't they ?  I don't know weather it's impatience or what , but I'm getting more and more willing to just pick up some browns. That was my original plan prior to seeing Reds available in TKL here in the states ( although hard to get )

I do need atleast some (3)KRO for FPS  with Shift+W+A/D   for crouched forward strafing.  
Or Shift+D+ for weapon swapping/weapon throw.
But Whatever I've been using on my Saitek Eclipse has been working ok as far as I know.
WASD 104 work
WASD 104 home
WASD 104 [not my style]

Offline noodles256

• le legendary
Cherry MX Reds vs Browns
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 10 October 2011, 12:18:59 »
wlcm2gh
AF | Ducky YOTD |

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
Cherry MX Reds vs Browns
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 10 October 2011, 12:20:18 »
modifiers aren't counted in NKRO... 6KRO is 6 standard keys plus the modifiers
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline enoy21

Cherry MX Reds vs Browns
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 10 October 2011, 12:27:00 »
So Shift being Crouch/Sprint in game is ok , but what about  W+D+1 ?   (Forward Strafe + Grenage toss )

I don't know that I currently do that because I'm prety bad about using the Number keys for weapon select , but I'm trying to learn to do that rather than slow ass mouse scroll select.  I don't want to be held back by the hardware.

Quote from: daerid;428349
This is my fav board.

Thanks Daerid , That's actually the Board I am looking at buying ( Ninja Version ) if not the CM Storm Rapid Fire.
« Last Edit: Mon, 10 October 2011, 12:53:52 by enoy21 »
WASD 104 work
WASD 104 home
WASD 104 [not my style]

Offline enoy21

Cherry MX Reds vs Browns
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 10 October 2011, 12:52:19 »
Quote from: daerid;428349
This is my fav board.

Thanks Daerid , That's actually the Board I am looking at buying if not the CM Storm Rapid Fire.
WASD 104 work
WASD 104 home
WASD 104 [not my style]

Offline enoy21

Cherry MX Reds vs Browns
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 19 October 2011, 12:47:59 »
So , now that more people on here have a bit more experience with reds.... New thoughts on this ?

I am loving my browns, but there is an itch in the back of my mind ( called a GH bug I think ) that keeps telling me  " But if you like browns this much , JUST IMAGINE HOW AWESOME A SMOOTHER BROWN WILL BE"  

So is it true ? Is it all hype ?   If my new office proximity causes an issue with noise and blues , I may end up selling my WASD to get another 104 in browns or reds. OOOOOOOORRRRRR I try and sell both my boards to get a full sized browns board for work and a TKL reds board for home.

But since I like them both so much at the moment I'm loath to think of taking the money hit just to appease my curiosity for reds.
WASD 104 work
WASD 104 home
WASD 104 [not my style]

Offline wongster

Cherry MX Reds vs Browns
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 19 October 2011, 13:07:34 »
I only got my red board yesterday, but it's exactly what I imagined it to be: a smooth, cleaner feeling brown. That's all there is to it. I would say there was definitely some hype simply because they were rare and harder to find than other switches, but it's not like it turned out to be a bad switch type or anything.

In the end, it's just another type of switch available to try and whether you like it or not is up to you. I have both brown and red boards and I like both, I haven't used the reds enough to say that I like it more than browns, but there's no doubt that I like it. I'll reevaluate my stance on it when I go back to try browns after a couple weeks or so of red use.
CM Storm Cherry MX Red Tenkeyless - Black Engraved PBT, SC2, Novelty, RGBY, Red Esc Doubleshots
Leopold Cherry MX Brown Tenkeyless - Stock
IBM Model M #1390120 - March 11 1986

Offline spolia optima

Cherry MX Reds vs Browns
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 19 October 2011, 13:16:03 »
reds are almost perfect
browns are perfect
keyboards!

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
Cherry MX Reds vs Browns
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 19 October 2011, 13:48:57 »
I've had my Poker with reds for a few months and it is my daily keyboard. Red is my personal favorite. I enjoy a light linear switch. I also have other boards with black, brown and blue out of witch blue is second highest use as I also like a switch with a very noticeable sharp snap tactile point for other than gaming. Brown is my least favorite at the moment as I feel it kind of succeeds at nothing. Though it doesn't really fail at anything either it's just meh.
« Last Edit: Wed, 19 October 2011, 13:51:09 by lysol »

Offline HWI

Cherry MX Reds vs Browns
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 19 October 2011, 14:06:45 »
Red is my favorite switch, I like the very light linear feel of it. Browns are my second favorite due to being so light and having barely any tactility. I am with the OP in regards to blacks, they are too stiff and fatigue my fingers after long sessions of gaming(which I do frequently).

As for finding a tenkeyless with reds, the pre-order for the Leopolds at EK or CM Storm Quick Fire from PCHome is probably your best.
Bottom Out Like A Boss
Razer BWU | Ducky DK-1087 | Noppoo Choc Mini | CM Storm QFR | KBT Race

Offline noodles256

• le legendary
Cherry MX Reds vs Browns
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 19 October 2011, 14:16:07 »
Quote from: spolia optima;434622
reds are almost perfect
browns are perfect

is your opinion
AF | Ducky YOTD |

Offline StaCT13

Cherry MX Reds vs Browns
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 19 October 2011, 14:43:04 »
I have my browns right here, and I can say when I first got them, I thought it was going to be far too linear. A day later, and I realize the tactical bump is just enough that you can feel it if you type lightly, but it disappears if you simply bottom out. Personally, I prefer slightly more tacticality, but I can easily see why many call browns their favorite. If you type lightly (or are interested in doing so), I'd say lean towards browns. If you bottom out all the time and WISH to do so, go for reds.

ErgoDox Classic Aluminium (MX Reds) | Leopold TKL Otaku (MX Browns) | Rosewill RK-9000 (MX Blues) | Dell AT101W (Alps Black)

Happily typing in Dvorak

Offline HaiiYaa

Cherry MX Reds vs Browns
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 19 October 2011, 14:50:46 »
The only con about browns is that they are very boring

Offline enoy21

Cherry MX Reds vs Browns
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 19 October 2011, 14:55:29 »
So far the replies are doing a pretty good job of saving me some curiosity money , but it will help me decide what the next one will be, once I see how badly my new neighbor hates the clicky's.

I just wish I didn't work in numbers so much at work so they could be interchangeable. ( i.e. browns at work and reds for home ) I imagine the reds are pretty damn close because like said above I barely feel the tactility in the browns.
WASD 104 work
WASD 104 home
WASD 104 [not my style]

Offline itlnstln

Cherry MX Reds vs Browns
« Reply #18 on: Wed, 19 October 2011, 15:01:36 »
Quote from: HaiiYaa;434707
The only con about browns is that they are very boring

Boring is good.  It keeps you focused on work and it doesn't become annoying over time.

Offline arplod

Cherry MX Reds vs Browns
« Reply #19 on: Wed, 19 October 2011, 17:52:29 »
There's not a world of difference to be honest. My personal preference is that I find the reds probably the least-not-worth-it in terms of using a Cherry mechanical once I've adapted my typing for any particular keyboard, but at the same time subbing browns wouldn't exactly be a deal-breaker. I don't really need that tactile effect mid-keystroke.

Offline BababooeyHTJ

Cherry MX Reds vs Browns
« Reply #20 on: Wed, 19 October 2011, 21:21:26 »
Quote from: dante;434924
I just want to take a moment to tell you guys how jealous I am of you.  No matter how hard I try I just can't type softly.  When I try I feel like it cuts off around 20 wpm.  Spending so much time on a buckling spring keyboard I want to push my fingers through the circuit board as if my digits were screaming "these go to 11!"

That being said, anything with tactility at this stage is pointless to me.

If you use any board for a couple of months you'll just adapt to it. I used to love buckling springs until my mx browns ruined me. No matter which switch that I try I always just go back to mx browns.

Offline Tony

Cherry MX Reds vs Browns
« Reply #21 on: Wed, 19 October 2011, 21:22:20 »
Brown is slightly better with typing. I am typing this in brown, and when you type lightly, the bump is very noticeable and help me to type faster. With red, the bump is not there, so I tend to bottom out more and therefore type slower.

For game playing, I suppose red is a bit better.
Keyboard: Filco MJ1 104 brown, Filco MJ2 87 brown, Compaq MX11800, Noppoo Choc Brown/Blue/Red, IBM Model M 1996, CMStorm Quickfire Rapid Black
Layout: Colemak experience, speed of 67wpm

Offline HaiiYaa

Cherry MX Reds vs Browns
« Reply #22 on: Thu, 20 October 2011, 00:44:10 »
Quote from: itlnstln;434722
Boring is good.  It keeps you focused on work and it doesn't become annoying over time.

True but sometimes you need to have fun typing

Offline Wogrim

Cherry MX Reds vs Browns
« Reply #23 on: Thu, 20 October 2011, 01:04:26 »
My experience on reds vs browns:

My first mech keyboard was a Leopold Otaku Tenkeyless browns back in March or whenever Elitekeyboards first got them (after lurking around for several months when I was first made aware of mech keyboards via Starcraft 2).  Very pleased apart from the stabilized keys being very clanky.  I've always tried to lightly press the keys (for typing), so the tactility was definitely noticable.  Then a couple months ago they got full size reds (which I had been more interested in than the browns but they hadn't been available), so I got those and have been using them until today.  The combination of this thread and the availability of tenkeyless reds (otaku tenkeyless really looks great) has caused me to go back to my browns for comparison.

After using reds, the tactility of browns is very dramatic.  It gives a nice sort of rumble when I type, which gives the impression that I'm typing faster and making more progress, similar to the clicks of blues (I don't own blues, but understand the appeal).  Without taking a typing test, I'll go ahead and say I think it's more psychological than anything.  Also, it's probably because I'm coming from reds but the browns seem to be putting some strain on my fingers now (didn't have any problems coming from rubber dome).  I feel like the tactile bump is as jarring as bottoming out (which I rarely do), perhaps even more so because you can bottom out very lightly if you want, while the tactile bump always has a set amount of jarriness that you can't avoid.  Actuation force is supposed to be the same for browns and reds, but getting over the bump on browns feels a bit tougher to me.  So for typing I'd say reds are more comfortable, but not as accurate since you don't have the tactile bump guaranteeing your actuation (unless you're bottoming out).  For typing alone (gaming next paragraph) I'm going back to my reds since a few hours of browns are that tiresome to me now, but if you're comfortable with browns I wouldn't say reds are an upgrade.

For gaming I will absolutely recommend reds because keys that need to be held down (wasd, arrow keys, modifiers, or whatever else) feel wierd with a tactile bump.  I can also spam a key a bit faster (although you may not need to in whatever games you play) on reds; you can't ride the actuation point as well (reliably), but the bump isn't there to slow you down.

Offline laffindude

• ( ̽ ¬ ˳¬)
Cherry MX Reds vs Browns
« Reply #24 on: Thu, 20 October 2011, 03:00:07 »
Quote from: enoy21;434596
So , now that more people on here have a bit more experience with reds.... New thoughts on this ?

After about a week of living with the Reds, I think I have reached my conclusion. I like the Reds, but they are not perfect. I am a pretty soft typist, so I don't bottom out much even on the red (unless I am going for top speed of course). Reds do feel much lighter to me and the lighter force used make the occasional bottom out sound very soft. The reds are a little too tempting for me to type even lighter on and end up short stroking some keys. If the keys are slightly lighter or the actuation point slightly higher, it would be just right. It would feel like lightly tapping on the table.
I feel the browns are pretty different than the reds. I would be fine with either, but I do miss the tactile bump when on the reds. Unless you just bang the keys to the bottom, red feels kinda vague. You don't know if you've activated the key or not. I do type faster on browns and found it easier to stay in the groove.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
Cherry MX Reds vs Browns
« Reply #25 on: Thu, 20 October 2011, 03:09:51 »
Quote from: laffindude;435067
Unless you just bang the keys to the bottom, red feels kinda vague. You don't know if you've activated the key or not.

This. This was my problem with reds from day one, could just never articulate it. Thank you.

Offline duncan

Cherry MX Reds vs Browns
« Reply #26 on: Thu, 20 October 2011, 03:39:42 »
Quote from: laffindude;435067
Unless you just bang the keys to the bottom, red feels kinda vague.

Agreed. I feel I have to bottom out Reds. That's why I like my Reds on the PCB mounted Poker so when I do bottom them out [strike]their[/strike] there is less noise and finger jar than on a plate mounted board. I am just not a good enough typist to get Reds right without bottoming out.
« Last Edit: Thu, 20 October 2011, 10:54:34 by duncan »

Realforce 86UB || HHKB P2 || FILCO MT 87 Blues || FILCO MT 87 Browns || FILCO MT 87 Ninja  Blacks || Poker X Reds

Offline arplod

Cherry MX Reds vs Browns
« Reply #27 on: Thu, 20 October 2011, 07:37:12 »
It's weird, because on one hand many of you say that you can train your fingers not to bottom out a mechanical, but apparently it's not possible without a tactile feedback that you can barely feel (if that) viz-a-viz the reds when you're up to speed. So which is it?

Offline laffindude

• ( ̽ ¬ ˳¬)
Cherry MX Reds vs Browns
« Reply #28 on: Thu, 20 October 2011, 08:06:29 »
They are not mutually exclusive. Not all of us type at 100+ WPM when we're chatting or writing posts on forums, but we can certainly hit that when we're doing typing tests. The speed required to do 100+ WMP do require your fingers to move pretty fast, which does negate some control on how heavy your fingers hit the keys.
Edit: I do bottom out more when I type at top speed on browns and blues as well. It isn't specifically a red thing.

Offline arplod

Cherry MX Reds vs Browns
« Reply #29 on: Thu, 20 October 2011, 09:56:58 »
Quote from: laffindude;435177
They are not mutually exclusive. Not all of us type at 100+ WPM when we're chatting or writing posts on forums, but we can certainly hit that when we're doing typing tests. The speed required to do 100+ WMP do require your fingers to move pretty fast, which does negate some control on how heavy your fingers hit the keys.
Edit: I do bottom out more when I type at top speed on browns and blues as well. It isn't specifically a red thing.

I dunno about you but I type equally fast whether I'm typing like this, IMing or doing a report. It's not like I'm going t o  s u d  d  e   n     l      y     s     l      o     w    d    o   w  n  my typing speed to collect my thoughts mid-sentence. I'm going to stop typing.

The more I read this board, the more I get the feeling that many people evaluate the superiority of mechanical keyboards by pressing down on each key really slowly. No wonder buckling-spring has achieved Holy Grail status.

Offline F u r u y á

Cherry MX Reds vs Browns
« Reply #30 on: Thu, 20 October 2011, 11:02:23 »
Quote from: laffindude;435177

Also, trying to not bottom out is sometimes very unnatural to the hands/wrist.

If I keep consciously trying to not bottomming out every key, I get some discomfort in my wrist after some time.

If I let my hands and fingers very loose, and use more my arms/shoulders to control fingers position and using the hands own weight to activate the keys (instead of solely using finger flexors), I don't get any discomfort and I type faster. I do end up bottoming out a bit but I don't care, because this way is much more comfortable and I can even feel the tactile bump better. Despite not being a piano player (I do play guitar though), typing this way makes me feel like I'm playing a piano :)
Filco 91 | Filco 87* | Filco 105 | PLU 87 | PLU 87 | Cherry 120 | Cherry 120

Offline duncan

Cherry MX Reds vs Browns
« Reply #31 on: Thu, 20 October 2011, 11:02:36 »
Quote from: arplod;435159
but apparently it's not possible without a tactile feedback

I'd rephrase that as "it is harder without tactile feedback".

The tactile feedback makes is easier to type without bottoming out. It's not black and white, it's all shades of grey.

And yes your conscious brain may not be feeling each tactile notch but your fingers do know.

As you say elsewhere it's not about pushing keys it's about typing and for me, and others, the tactile response does have a noticeable effect. But you are right that it is not a categorical difference, it's a matter of degree.

Realforce 86UB || HHKB P2 || FILCO MT 87 Blues || FILCO MT 87 Browns || FILCO MT 87 Ninja  Blacks || Poker X Reds

Offline arplod

Cherry MX Reds vs Browns
« Reply #32 on: Thu, 20 October 2011, 11:42:20 »
The slimmest of degrees.

In addition reds have - and correct me if I'm wrong - a higher spring force towards the bottom of the stroke and as a result, even without acclimatisation I'm hard-bottoming to a lesser degree at full typing speed even if e.g. I've read a dumb post(s) and am writing a sarcastic reply at full pelt.

What I said about slowly pressing keys wasn't sarcastic on the other hand, but an observation.
« Last Edit: Thu, 20 October 2011, 11:46:33 by arplod »

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
Cherry MX Reds vs Browns
« Reply #33 on: Thu, 20 October 2011, 12:41:51 »
Quote from: arplod;435316
In addition reds have - and correct me if I'm wrong - a higher spring force towards the bottom of the stroke [...]

I believe that reds and browns have the same springs. It's the perception of higher force required at the end of the stroke, due to the fact that it requires slightly more pressure to get past that bump.

Offline arplod

Cherry MX Reds vs Browns
« Reply #34 on: Thu, 20 October 2011, 13:52:08 »
Quote from: daerid;435381
I believe that reds and browns have the same springs. It's the perception of higher force required at the end of the stroke, due to the fact that it requires slightly more pressure to get past that bump.

Ah. I stand corrected. I just have ninja fingers in that case.

Offline BababooeyHTJ

Cherry MX Reds vs Browns
« Reply #35 on: Sat, 22 October 2011, 08:51:15 »
Maybe you should use a keybaord for more than a couple of weeks before jumping to too many conclusions.

Much like yourself when I first got a board with mx browns I would be bottoming out all of the time. I didn't find myself doing that after a month or so. I don't go out of my way to type any differently. I guess that I just got used to the board.

Now that you've been here a month I guess that you know it all and have the right to act like an ass.
« Last Edit: Sat, 22 October 2011, 08:55:49 by BababooeyHTJ »

Offline enoy21

Cherry MX Reds vs Browns
« Reply #36 on: Sat, 22 October 2011, 09:05:40 »
Did I miss something in this thread ? I see no ass bearing comments and certainly assume this was not directed at the OP.

That being said , Since learning and practicing touch typing the past few weeks as well as primarily typing on Blues and Browns , I still bottom out when in a hurry , but not nearly as much as I used to.   To the point that my browns actually seem quiet to me.
WASD 104 work
WASD 104 home
WASD 104 [not my style]

Offline arplod

Cherry MX Reds vs Browns
« Reply #37 on: Sat, 22 October 2011, 17:04:43 »
Quote from: enoy21;436662
Did I miss something in this thread ? I see no ass bearing comments and certainly assume this was not directed at the OP.

That being said , Since learning and practicing touch typing the past few weeks as well as primarily typing on Blues and Browns , I still bottom out when in a hurry , but not nearly as much as I used to.   To the point that my browns actually seem quiet to me.

That's just regular cognitive dissonance through acclimatisation. You don't have to completely bottom out (in the way that some people might thwack browns - or reds or pretty much anything really if they're not used to them) a RD either to make contact. Browns aren't any quieter than a reasonable RD.

Reds might take more getting used to, who knows. I can type on them without hard bottom outs most of the time, and as I said I don't need the tactile feedback when at speed, because it's almost irrelevant. If I was re-buying all my brown based keyboards and I had the choice to make them red, yeah I'd do that.

But once again personally, if I'm veering towards reds, I might as well go Topre. More consistent NKRO over USB (& in comparison with a PS/2'd Filco for that matter - yes I know it can do *more*) too and not having to deal with the jarring if you do find yourself hard-bottoming, without silly mods. True, somewhat less scope for making your keyboard look like clown shoes than MX switched keyboards but yet again personally, I'm not really into that.
« Last Edit: Sat, 22 October 2011, 17:24:20 by arplod »

Offline AvenZerg

Cherry MX Reds vs Browns
« Reply #38 on: Sat, 22 October 2011, 17:38:09 »
don't know if this is still relevant but here goes nothing..
i have gotten a collection of switches by a person called Mr.Interface (deskthority.net)

i have tested out Cherry MX blue,brown,red,black,clear and 3 different ALPS switches.. black,grey,white..

alps sounded really good but kinda sucky when it came down to double tapping..
between the cherry MX red and brown i have a few things to note..
they feel exactly the same in terms of force and the tactility of the browns is neglectible when you are spamming the keys.
i was on the same boat as you are right now, i was sooooo convinced reds would suit me best. I think tho that you would appreciate the subtle tactility that the browns provide.
i have changed my opinion after testing the switches out. cherry mx red switches are hyped up. go for browns

(going to be writing a review of all those switchaznit in the near future btw)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline arplod

Cherry MX Reds vs Browns
« Reply #39 on: Sat, 22 October 2011, 19:52:53 »
Quote from: AvenZerg;436953
don't know if this is still relevant but here goes nothing..
i have gotten a collection of switches by a person called Mr.Interface (deskthority.net)

i have tested out Cherry MX blue,brown,red,black,clear and 3 different ALPS switches.. black,grey,white..

alps sounded really good but kinda sucky when it came down to double tapping..
between the cherry MX red and brown i have a few things to note..
they feel exactly the same in terms of force and the tactility of the browns is neglectible when you are spamming the keys.
i was on the same boat as you are right now, i was sooooo convinced reds would suit me best. I think tho that you would appreciate the subtle tactility that the browns provide.
i have changed my opinion after testing the switches out. cherry mx red switches are hyped up. go for browns

(going to be writing a review of all those switchaznit in the near future btw)

Switches, as in single switches?

Offline oneproduct

• @Ubisoft
Cherry MX Reds vs Browns
« Reply #40 on: Sat, 22 October 2011, 20:20:56 »
I've been from blues to reds to browns in that order. Blues feel too heavy for me now and with reds when I'm intentionally trying to type quickly or when typing without looking too much at what I'm typing, I'm sometimes unsure if I pressed a key hard enough for it to register.

Reds do feel a little nicer to type on though and I love the sound of blues, but in terms of performance I have to say that browns are the winner in my book.
Layout: Colemak
Fastest typing speed: 131 WPM on typeracer, 136 WPM on 10fastfingers.
Daily driver: Filco Tenkeyless MX Brown with ergonomically weighted, lubed springs.
Ergo keyboards: Truly Ergonomic, Kinesis Advantage, Ergodox

Offline pitashen

Cherry MX Reds vs Browns
« Reply #41 on: Sat, 22 October 2011, 20:27:56 »
they are both good. cover your eyes and pick one.

end of story.

if you are in an absolute confusion, you can just pick brown. You won't regret.
\\\\ DSI Mac Modular Keyboard (Brown) w/ Leo  Blank Keycaps //
\\\\ Leopold 87keys Keyboard (Brown) w/ Black CherryCorp + SP DoubleShots //
\\\\ Filco Majestouch 2 NINJA (Black) w/ White CherryCorp + SP DoublsShots //

Offline Zamorph

Cherry MX Reds vs Browns
« Reply #42 on: Sat, 22 October 2011, 22:36:01 »
I love reds, just my two cents

Offline duncan

Cherry MX Reds vs Browns
« Reply #43 on: Sun, 23 October 2011, 02:07:54 »
Quote from: arplod;436939
That's just regular cognitive dissonance through acclimatisation.

ROFL.

Do you get a little thrill by using big words that you clearly don't fully understand and discounting the reports of other people's experiences on the basis that you, with no first hand evidence of any kind of what these people have in fact experienced, are better place to know what *really* happened and what these *facts* that you **imagine** you know better than the person giving a first hand report *really* mean.

You are embarrassing yourself.

When you attack people trying to be nice to you with that sort of self congratulatory nonsense then it seems that BababooeyHTJ had you pegged correctly.

Offline arplod

Cherry MX Reds vs Browns
« Reply #44 on: Sun, 23 October 2011, 05:13:18 »
Quote from: duncan;437168
ROFL.

Do you get a little thrill by using big words that you clearly don't fully understand and discounting the reports of other people's experiences on the basis that you, with no first hand evidence of any kind of what these people have in fact experienced, are better place to know what *really* happened and what these *facts* that you **imagine** you know better than the person giving a first hand report *really* mean.

You are embarrassing yourself.

When you attack people trying to be nice to you with that sort of self congratulatory nonsense then it seems that BababooeyHTJ had you pegged correctly.

From Wikipedia (which isn't always a great source, but in this case is absolutely correct)

"The theory of cognitive dissonance proposes that people have a motivational drive to reduce dissonance. They do this by changing their attitudes, beliefs, and actions."

I don't know you and you definitely don't know me.

But I know people.

Offline duncan

Cherry MX Reds vs Browns
« Reply #45 on: Sun, 23 October 2011, 05:21:30 »
Quote from: arplod;437221
you definitely don't know me.

True. But we all know more *about* you every time you post.

Offline arplod

Cherry MX Reds vs Browns
« Reply #46 on: Sun, 23 October 2011, 05:35:37 »
Quote from: duncan;437225
True. But we all know more *about* you every time you post.

It cuts two ways, duncan.

Offline enoy21

Cherry MX Reds vs Browns
« Reply #47 on: Sun, 23 October 2011, 08:21:42 »
Now now guys, everyone has their opinion on switches and obviously of people behind the text of the screen.   We are just looking at preferences from people who have tried both and more importantly " How different are they really?" . After making this post I went with browns due to the uncertainty of reds and lack of TKL choices.(I felt that CM Storm needed a little more maturity or testing to trust them)

The revival of this thread was due to a fact I listed above. I still have curiosity about the reds, but if it's not a drastic change in feel to browns then there is no need to spend more money on them and can better put that money to an SSD drive or Some Klipcsh Pro Media's.
WASD 104 work
WASD 104 home
WASD 104 [not my style]

Offline arplod

Cherry MX Reds vs Browns
« Reply #48 on: Sun, 23 October 2011, 08:33:27 »
Quote from: enoy21;437266
Now now guys, everyone has their opinion on switches and obviously of people behind the text of the screen.   We are just looking at preferences from people who have tried both and more importantly " How different are they really?" . After making this post I went with browns due to the uncertainty of reds and lack of TKL choices.(I felt that CM Storm needed a little more maturity or testing to trust them)

The revival of this thread was due to a fact I listed above. I still have curiosity about the reds, but if it's not a drastic change in feel to browns then there is no need to spend more money on them and can better put that money to an SSD drive or Some Klipcsh Pro Media's.

Makes sense. As I said, personally if you're looking at getting moving from browns to reds you might as well try Topre. It's more meaningfully different.

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
Cherry MX Reds vs Browns
« Reply #49 on: Sun, 23 October 2011, 08:42:40 »
Yeah... I consider a stack of cash to be pretty meaningful too.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens