Author Topic: [IC] NovelPro - A New Keycap Profile from NovelKeys  (Read 97280 times)

Offline mgsickler

Re: [IC] New Keycap Profile from NovelKeys
« Reply #150 on: Sun, 08 April 2018, 08:28:28 »
Just trying to keep everyone as updated as possible.

Design work has officially started. My goal is to actually have a 3D printed prototype profile at an upcoming meetup. :)

I will post some renders of the profile once I have something basically in line with what my vision is.

Offline Techno Trousers

• ʘ_ಠ
« Reply #151 on: Sun, 08 April 2018, 11:51:10 »
Great news!

Offline mgsickler

« Reply #152 on: Tue, 15 May 2018, 16:40:20 »
I have been a little silent on this, but am still working away.

Here is a picture with some different prototypes.

The first row is the latest prototype. The second row is the first. The third is dev tty. The last is topre hipro.

I have a few more tweaks to make the set, but it is coming along really nice. I am hoping to have a tkl keyboard proto by the end of June or so.

Offline BlindAssassin111

• I design keyboards and stuff.
    • Viktus
« Reply #153 on: Tue, 15 May 2018, 17:09:08 »

Show Image

The first row is the latest prototype. The second row is the first. The third is dev tty. The last is topre hipro.

I have a few more tweaks to make the set, but it is coming along really nice. I am hoping to have a tkl keyboard proto by the end of June or so.

This is awesome, Can't wait to see what comes of this!!! Now if only we could confirm fitment with alps switches with my sliders... ;)

Offline Techno Trousers

• ʘ_ಠ
« Reply #154 on: Tue, 15 May 2018, 22:27:43 »
Thanks for the update. I'm not sure if I like the small, flat row 1. Dev/tty is my only experience with spherical profiles though. Doesn't having them so much shorter than row 2 make them harder to reach with one hand while doing a key combo like ctrl-F6?

Offline gnunin

« Reply #155 on: Wed, 16 May 2018, 00:10:58 »
Those Topre Hipro are so juicy. Love me some high profiles.

Offline BobCarltheThird

« Reply #156 on: Wed, 16 May 2018, 00:42:57 »
I'm finding it hard to tell from the picture, are both prototype rows the same height? the one in the back almost looks taller.
***loads of Vaseline for my meme TMO50 -- Acereconkeys

Offline Cods

• Penumbra SA Mark II please?
« Reply #157 on: Wed, 16 May 2018, 01:10:44 »
Lookin’ good. Nice work - I really like people who put ideas into reality. Still buying, so long as it’s in a decent colourway. :)
Model M Industrial, SSK, Unicomp 104, Code TKL MX Green, FC660M MX Green + Clear + White + Grey, FC660C Topre 45g, MagicForce 68 USB and Bluetooth, Whitefox, some optical switch 65% Bluetooth split spacebar thing ... wait, I think I need an intervention. Too late, there’s a couple of new Model Fs on the way.
Too much SA is never enough.

Offline midnight2903

« Reply #158 on: Wed, 16 May 2018, 02:09:26 »
That looks sexy af  :thumb:

Offline mgsickler

« Reply #159 on: Wed, 16 May 2018, 06:08:32 »
I'm finding it hard to tell from the picture, are both prototype rows the same height? the one in the back almost looks taller.

Same height. I want to wait until I get things really close to my ideal set before showing it off in detail.

Those Topre Hipro are so juicy. Love me some high profiles.

Hipro is one of my favorite profiles!

This is awesome, Can't wait to see what comes of this!!! Now if only we could confirm fitment with alps switches with my sliders... ;)

Thank you! :) I think they would be compatible, but once I finalize I could send you maybe a sample to check.

Lookin’ good. Nice work - I really like people who put ideas into reality. Still buying, so long as it’s in a decent colourway. :)

I appreciate that!

Thanks for the update. I'm not sure if I like the small, flat row 1. Dev/tty is my only experience with spherical profiles though. Doesn't having them so much shorter than row 2 make them harder to reach with one hand while doing a key combo like ctrl-F6?

I havent decided which way I will go about that just yet. I may even do both.

That looks sexy af  :thumb:

Thank you!

Offline a_ak57

« Reply #160 on: Wed, 16 May 2018, 10:14:04 »
A hi-pro replica is nice, but tbh with the HUB profile KS going south it might be worth taking another look at making a sculpted low profile.

Offline mgsickler

« Reply #161 on: Wed, 16 May 2018, 10:48:30 »
A hi-pro replica is nice, but tbh with the HUB profile KS going south it might be worth taking another look at making a sculpted low profile.

This will actually be shorter than Topre Hipro. More of a mid height style.

Offline Zuology

• Why does this rabbit-hole have so many side-quests
« Reply #162 on: Wed, 16 May 2018, 11:26:05 »
Looks great! Glad to see this project continuing on.

So mid-height topre hipro-esque (squared off spherical concave)? I've heard great things about hipro but haven't had a chance to finger myself yet. I am an SA loving heathen, so I assume it will be even better!

I second the input that full height F-row is better than short/r3 height, for aesthetics and for use, especially on compact layouts like 75% where the short f-row will be blocked by the taller numrow. Even if option, and not base set.
More
75%: Scarlet Bandana (TBD) | Singa75 Polycarb (TBD) | SKB75 (TBD) | YMD75 (Box Navy) | XD84 (Outemu Ice) | Plum84 (BKE Redux Heavy)
TKL: ALF X1.1 SE (TBD) | LZ Iron White (TBD) | Fox Labs Orange (TBD) | Alu WASDv2 (Cherry Green) | MechkeyAlpha MA87 (Kailh Box Burnt Orange) | Archon RE:AL Superior EX (Nopre 65g)
Full+: Clueboard Double 1800 (Vint Clears) | IBM Model M | IBM Model F XT

Offline ptiede

« Reply #163 on: Wed, 16 May 2018, 11:28:16 »

This will actually be shorter than Topre Hipro. More of a mid height style.

I am really excited for this. You are doing a great job Mike, love ya!

Offline zslane

« Reply #164 on: Wed, 16 May 2018, 12:27:49 »
The gentle and symmetrical row angles of the prototype(s) remind me of SA, which has some minor benefits, but I know the community likes row profiles that are more Cherry/Beamspring-ish. And the roundness of MT3 makes them superior, shape-wise, to any other spherical keycap being made today, so that's something to think about.

I do like the depth of dishing and the smoothness of the gradient from the top ridge to the center of the keycap in the prototype(s). Topre Hi-Pro keycaps have too sharp a ridge crease for my tastes, and MT3 comes dangerously close to that as well, but is a bit better than Hi-Pros in that regard. SA has the gentlest gradient of all, but they aren't dished deeply enough, IMO. In fact, I think that the deep-dish mold for SA should be the standard mold for SA, and they should make their deep dish keys a bit deeper still. That's why I like the dishing in the prototype(s); they seem to strike just the right balance, though I'd like to see what a deep dish prototype would look like as well.

Personally I don't care for the huge drop-off that Topre's Hi-Pro keycaps have, both from the numrow to the F-row, and from the Shift-row to the bottom row. It is neither aesthetically pleasing nor ergonomic. I have a Topre 104UK Hi-Pro and those drop-offs are rather unpleasant, to be frank.

Offline KaosJ

« Reply #165 on: Wed, 16 May 2018, 13:34:18 »

Show Image

Interesting, found a way to make it made? 

Offline oh_chesteroni

« Reply #166 on: Wed, 16 May 2018, 14:30:58 »

... haven't had a chance to finger myself yet.

Don't forget the lube! ;)

The keycaps look great Mike! Liking the increase in typing surface area from proto 1 to 2. I also want to echo the sentiment regarding taller f-row. Looking forward to future updates!

Offline mgsickler

« Reply #167 on: Wed, 16 May 2018, 15:24:19 »

I am really excited for this. You are doing a great job Mike, love ya!

<3 Thank you!

The gentle and symmetrical row angles of the prototype(s) remind me of SA, which has some minor benefits, but I know the community likes row profiles that are more Cherry/Beamspring-ish. And the roundness of MT3 makes them superior, shape-wise, to any other spherical keycap being made today, so that's something to think about.

I do like the depth of dishing and the smoothness of the gradient from the top ridge to the center of the keycap in the prototype(s). Topre Hi-Pro keycaps have too sharp a ridge crease for my tastes, and MT3 comes dangerously close to that as well, but is a bit better than Hi-Pros in that regard. SA has the gentlest gradient of all, but they aren't dished deeply enough, IMO. In fact, I think that the deep-dish mold for SA should be the standard mold for SA, and they should make their deep dish keys a bit deeper still. That's why I like the dishing in the prototype(s); they seem to strike just the right balance, though I'd like to see what a deep dish prototype would look like as well.

Personally I don't care for the huge drop-off that Topre's Hi-Pro keycaps have, both from the numrow to the F-row, and from the Shift-row to the bottom row. It is neither aesthetically pleasing nor ergonomic. I have a Topre 104UK Hi-Pro and those drop-offs are rather unpleasant, to be frank.

Yea, I already changed that up and will make that top two rows the same. My second prototype didnt feel deep enough for the dish, so the third proto will have a slightly deeper dish, but I dont think it will be as sharp as some others.

Interesting, found a way to make it made?

Yes, but its going to be a slow process getting it all going.

Offline tex_live_utility

• MX brown apologist
    • twitch.tv/salt_rock_lamp
« Reply #168 on: Wed, 16 May 2018, 22:21:28 »
This looks fantastic!
Discord: salt rock lamp#0679 | Reddit: /u/nerdponx | Deskthority: autoload -Uz | Keebtalk: salt_rock_lamp
Twitch: salt_rock_lamp | YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCd7YXZjilUutJ6ShZWrvQtg | Instagram: @salt_rock_keyboards

Offline kristmascane

• emilia is trash
« Reply #169 on: Thu, 17 May 2018, 08:20:43 »
This looks really promising! Great work, Mike!

Offline mgsickler

« Reply #170 on: Thu, 17 May 2018, 10:33:48 »
This looks fantastic!

Thanks! :)

This looks really promising! Great work, Mike!

Thank you much!

Offline Shadohhh

« Reply #171 on: Thu, 17 May 2018, 10:42:22 »
These look awesome! I would be in for a set.
I also think that having a picture with just the topre high pro and the newest sculpt would help show off that mid-height more.

Offline ullr

« Reply #172 on: Mon, 28 May 2018, 16:59:47 »
You should sell blank sets to raise funds for all the legend molds ;)

Offline Zuology

• Why does this rabbit-hole have so many side-quests
« Reply #173 on: Mon, 28 May 2018, 20:10:35 »

Actually this isn't a bad idea. If you did a polished 3d printed or first test run on molds before fine tuning, for early adopters to test review and validate the profile before the official first run(s), it could go a long way toward disproving the potential naysayers. Funds from these early adopters could be used to fine tune/bootstrap larger production run. Specifically I'm thinking about lessons learned from Hub's first attempt, which a lot of people were unsure of but were backing because of the price and colorways, with the profile shape largely unproven. Also as an example the EDRUG Mix/MDA first run was a cheap low cost way to get the new profile out to users, with higher quality runs following. Just my 2c, but it's a thought worth exploration.
« Last Edit: Mon, 28 May 2018, 20:13:23 by Zuology »
More
75%: Scarlet Bandana (TBD) | Singa75 Polycarb (TBD) | SKB75 (TBD) | YMD75 (Box Navy) | XD84 (Outemu Ice) | Plum84 (BKE Redux Heavy)
TKL: ALF X1.1 SE (TBD) | LZ Iron White (TBD) | Fox Labs Orange (TBD) | Alu WASDv2 (Cherry Green) | MechkeyAlpha MA87 (Kailh Box Burnt Orange) | Archon RE:AL Superior EX (Nopre 65g)
Full+: Clueboard Double 1800 (Vint Clears) | IBM Model M | IBM Model F XT

Offline SpectreiiI

• Scribe
« Reply #174 on: Mon, 28 May 2018, 20:23:14 »
Glad to see things are coming along!

Offline Rob27shred

• Insane in the Membrane! 👻
« Reply #175 on: Mon, 28 May 2018, 20:51:35 »
Been getting more & more into fully sculpted SA sets as of late, the sculpting on this has me very intrigued! Can't wait to see them in person at Keycon! :thumb:

Offline macclack

• Macclack
« Reply #176 on: Mon, 28 May 2018, 23:01:08 »
Another sculpted hi-profile key set? Yes please! Thanks for continuing to innovate Mike.

Offline tex_live_utility

• MX brown apologist
    • twitch.tv/salt_rock_lamp
« Reply #177 on: Mon, 28 May 2018, 23:54:52 »

Actually this isn't a bad idea. If you did a polished 3d printed or first test run on molds before fine tuning, for early adopters to test review and validate the profile before the official first run(s), it could go a long way toward disproving the potential naysayers. Funds from these early adopters could be used to fine tune/bootstrap larger production run. Specifically I'm thinking about lessons learned from Hub's first attempt, which a lot of people were unsure of but were backing because of the price and colorways, with the profile shape largely unproven. Also as an example the EDRUG Mix/MDA first run was a cheap low cost way to get the new profile out to users, with higher quality runs following. Just my 2c, but it's a thought worth exploration.

+1 for this. Plus, I always welcome nice-looking blanks.
Discord: salt rock lamp#0679 | Reddit: /u/nerdponx | Deskthority: autoload -Uz | Keebtalk: salt_rock_lamp
Twitch: salt_rock_lamp | YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCd7YXZjilUutJ6ShZWrvQtg | Instagram: @salt_rock_keyboards

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #178 on: Tue, 29 May 2018, 08:15:51 »
...interested...

Offline Mangaboy5398

« Reply #179 on: Tue, 29 May 2018, 12:43:49 »
Selling the blanks does seem like a good idea. I would totally scrape up enough funds for them if they are offered! The profile looks amazing and I'm looking forward to wherever this project is going.  :thumb:

Offline ramblinrose

« Reply #180 on: Wed, 30 May 2018, 08:36:14 »
Cool to see more spherical sculpted profiles being worked on!

Offline mgsickler

« Reply #181 on: Wed, 30 May 2018, 16:33:36 »
Thanks everyone for some feedback! Here are a couple more pictures.

I will definitely have a keyboard full of keycaps for Keycon.

Offline SpectreiiI

• Scribe
« Reply #182 on: Wed, 30 May 2018, 16:51:28 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Fantastic work Mike! Having spent WAY too much time modeling my profile, these seem really well sorted. I will be watching for updates.

Offline BlindAssassin111

• I design keyboards and stuff.
    • Viktus
« Reply #183 on: Wed, 30 May 2018, 17:27:32 »
Sweet, can't wait for them!

Offline a_ak57

« Reply #184 on: Wed, 30 May 2018, 19:15:22 »
Height looks good.  By the way how would you describe the level of "cuppiness" compared to SA/tty/hi-pro?  Hard to tell from pictures.

Offline mgsickler

« Reply #185 on: Wed, 30 May 2018, 20:02:58 »
Fantastic work Mike! Having spent WAY too much time modeling my profile, these seem really well sorted. I will be watching for updates.

Thanks so much! I’m really pleased with how it’s turning out. :)

Offline mgsickler

« Reply #186 on: Wed, 30 May 2018, 20:03:41 »
Height looks good.  By the way how would you describe the level of "cuppiness" compared to SA/tty/hi-pro?  Hard to tell from pictures.
It’s almost in the between SA and Hipro. Shorter than both of them though.

Offline oh_chesteroni

« Reply #187 on: Wed, 30 May 2018, 20:05:40 »
Looks fantastic Mike! Love the adjustments to the F-row.

Offline Techno Trousers

• ʘ_ಠ
« Reply #188 on: Wed, 30 May 2018, 23:37:07 »
That looks really nice. I'm excited to try it.

Offline gnunin

« Reply #189 on: Wed, 30 May 2018, 23:40:19 »
Looks great! :thumb: I really think I can enjoy this profile. Looking forward to it.

Offline mgsickler

« Reply #190 on: Thu, 31 May 2018, 07:25:12 »

Looks fantastic Mike! Love the adjustments to the F-row.

That looks really nice. I'm excited to try it.

Looks great! :thumb: I really think I can enjoy this profile. Looking forward to it.

Thank you all! I am really excited to get this going.

Offline smurkcity12

« Reply #191 on: Wed, 06 June 2018, 22:31:51 »
I think this profile looks like it could hit the sweet spot for me. I like SA and cherry profile both for different reasons, but I've always craved something not quite as aggressive as SA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline MajorclaM

« Reply #192 on: Wed, 06 June 2018, 22:51:07 »
I have a few questions: one, what are you printing the prototypes with? They look rather clean, and also when do you hope to make it to market? This has been quite the undertaking it seems.

Offline zap2oz

« Reply #193 on: Wed, 06 June 2018, 22:54:12 »

Show Image

I like the looks of these! I'd probably end up buying a set to test them out at the very least

Offline Bael_Zharon

« Reply #194 on: Wed, 06 June 2018, 23:21:56 »
These look really interesting so far.

Also really interested to see what the first theme / colors are going to be.

Offline watchy0ubac

« Reply #195 on: Thu, 07 June 2018, 03:09:04 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

This looks really good. Would be very interested in giving the set a shot and can't wait to see more of what's to come as it progresses from here!

Offline Hongook

« Reply #196 on: Thu, 07 June 2018, 03:26:58 »
Definitely interested in trying these out. Is there a name for these profiles yet?

Offline midnight2903

« Reply #197 on: Thu, 07 June 2018, 05:47:20 »
Definitely interested in trying these out. Is there a name for these profiles yet?

The profile is called New Keycap  :))

Offline lumpofunworth

• I’m a guy, that does stuff, with things, for fun.
« Reply #198 on: Thu, 07 June 2018, 08:24:37 »
Looks good, theses updates have been a roller coaster lol but I’m glad things are working out!
I like keyboards like I like people... I like keyboards a bit more come to think of it... nvm

Offline RobotRogue

• No.
« Reply #199 on: Thu, 07 June 2018, 10:49:09 »
Sub-$100 kits? Very compelling indeed.