Author Topic: [SOLD] Unicomp Ultra Classic (pearl) 104, "pristine", $54.99 + shipping  (Read 6288 times)

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
Unicomp UNI0P4A Ultra Classic Buckling Spring Keyboard Model M USB

BIN $54.99 + shipping

Quote from: Seller
Very gently used... I bought this brand new in 2016 directly from Unicomp, but rarely used it. Most of the time the keyboard was stored safely in a dry room, in plastic wrap inside the original shipping box. Pristine inside and out, and of course works perfectly.  Looks brand new.

If you've been thinking of ordering one, here's your chance to save ~ 30 bucks.   :thumb:

« Last Edit: Wed, 03 October 2018, 02:52:52 by ander »
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
  • on Buckling Springs since '88
    • http://www.huntsvillecarscene.com
Re: [SOLD] Unicomp Ultra Classic (pearl) 104, "pristine", $54.99 + shipping
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 23 October 2018, 17:33:59 »
And this is a rare one as well that used the normal sized alt and ctrl keys and squeezed in the windows keys.  Later models have evenly sized keys.  I'm actually typing on the 101 version of this from Unicomp. :)

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 30 October 2018, 04:41:30 »
I've noticed a dearth of pearl (white) Ultra Classics lately, too. All you usually see these days are the black ones. I guess a lot more post-'90s peeps want to try buckling springs than us Old Guys who pine for the Age of Beige.
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 30 October 2018, 08:47:23 »
I've noticed a dearth of pearl (white) Ultra Classics lately, too. All you usually see these days are the black ones. I guess a lot more post-'90s peeps want to try buckling springs than us Old Guys who pine for the Age of Beige.
Have you seen one that's the original 101 IBM/Lekmark style? 

This has been my daily driver for I think a year now.  It's definitely got a different feel than a normal M, one you can really feel too.  Like a really scratchy M if that was even possible.  But once you get used to it, there's something nice about it, like a heavier feel or something like that.

Offline brainandforce

• Keyboarding on a budget!
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 05 November 2018, 16:52:44 »
This has been my daily driver for I think a year now.  It's definitely got a different feel than a normal M, one you can really feel too.  Like a really scratchy M if that was even possible.  But once you get used to it, there's something nice about it, like a heavier feel or something like that.

I've tried my 2014 EnduraPro (my daily driver), a 2016 Ultra Classic, a 2005 Affirmative 1225T, a blue badge Model M, and a gray badge Model M, and I can certainly say that post-2010 boards have felt lighter and crisper than all the others - though slightly less tactile. I'm not sure if this is due to age, dirt accumulation, or manufacturing, but I actually prefer the current buckling spring offerings to previous ones.

And this is a rare one as well that used the normal sized alt and ctrl keys and squeezed in the windows keys.  Later models have evenly sized keys.  I'm actually typing on the 101 version of this from Unicomp. :)

They've been using the odd sized Windows and menu keys since about 2012. It's a cost cutting measure to reduce the number of different membranes and barrel plates that have to be made. I have had one each from 2014 and 2016 and they both have the odd keycap sizes.

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 05 November 2018, 17:11:53 »
Interesting observation on the tactility--I seem to find the older boards are 'crisper' if that makes any sense.

It would be nice if Unicomp is able to do what Cherry did and re-tool--they would be making amazing buckling spring keyboards and could possibly even venture out into other form factors like the ssk, etc.

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 05 November 2018, 23:37:49 »
Show Image

This has been my daily driver for I think a year now...

Interesting, dude, but your photo didn't come through... Care to try again?

...It would be nice if Unicomp is able to do what Cherry did and re-tool--they would be making amazing buckling spring keyboards and could possibly even venture out into other form factors like the ssk, etc.

That all seems fabulous to us—but I doubt their potential market would be big enough to justify that kind of investment.  :?(

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 05 November 2018, 23:55:36 »
Interesting.  The image is showing on this end.  And I just checked it on 2 different systems and browsers.  :-\

I initially was thinking Cherry would never re-tool either, but with all the competition they finally did.  But I guess you're right as there's not hundreds of gamers clamoring for a new buckling spring keyboard with a shorter spring and different click action...and disco lights...can't forget the disco lights.  Disco may be dead, but the lights aren't.  :))

Offline Luciqueii

• 【Luciquell & Co.】
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 06 November 2018, 14:00:50 »
ALP SKCL switches fit those keycaps? :)

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 06 November 2018, 14:46:06 »
"Crispness" in the newer ones may come from the thin white latex mats - I have used them in a couple of my 1980s bolt-mods and it is different (and better) than the old thick black rubber mats.

PS - remember that a mat is a "blanket" in Unicomp parlance
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 06 November 2018, 21:51:06 »
Show Image

Your image is coming through now. Unicomp calls those the Classic 101—and yes, they're the closest thing they make to the original Model M's.

I've always enjoyed the differences between Unicomp's boards and IBM's/Lexmark's, and always recommend MK people have at least one of each.

Unicomps are somewhat louder, more resonant, and "clunkier"-feeling (but in a good way). Fohat's explained at least part of why that may be—but the case design is different, too, isn't it? And don't they use somewhat different materials?

ALP SKCL switches fit those keycaps? :)

Nope, they're buckling spring switches, like the original Model M's:

They use Model-M-compatible keys (which Unicomp still calls "buttons"; see their page here). Each key has two parts, a stem and a printed cap:

206857-0

Appreciation for the buckling spring's superior feel and durability was the reason Lexmark's employees bought the factory when Lexmark (and IBM, their main customer) decided BS boards had become too loud and expensive for most people. They renamed the company Unicomp, and achieved their goal of redesigning the Model M so it could still be produced and sold—in an age of cheap, non-mechanical throwaway boards—at a reasonable price.

They did an amazing job, too. keeping the price of their new Model M's under $100, especially when you consider that IBM's and Lexmark's Model M's cost 2 to 3 times as much—in '80s/'90s dollars!

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 07 November 2018, 21:42:47 »
Sweet!  It always helps when referring to an image if the image is present. :D

And the 2 piece keycaps are awesome as they sell a large print variant of the keycaps that you can use to transform another lowly M into a M 'Senior Edition', which I have for my parents--an IBM M for my mom, and a Unicomp new body style for my dad.  :thumb:

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 21 November 2018, 01:12:15 »
Sweet!  It always helps when referring to an image if the image is present. :D

If only that applied to my wife, who prefers to refer to me when I'm not present.  :?|

And the 2 piece keycaps are awesome as they sell a large print variant of the keycaps that you can use to transform another lowly M into a M 'Senior Edition', which I have for my parents--an IBM M for my mom, and a Unicomp new body style for my dad.  :thumb:

Indeed, the possibilities are endless.

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
« Reply #13 on: Sun, 25 November 2018, 11:04:46 »

What are you talking about?
The older Unicomp models had the same-sized Windows and Print keys.

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #14 on: Sat, 01 December 2018, 02:59:04 »

Ooh, controversy. I'm just going to step back and let you guys hash this one out.

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
« Reply #15 on: Sun, 02 December 2018, 09:34:34 »

Ooh, controversy. I'm just going to step back and let you guys hash this one out.

You started this! You think you can back out now?

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #16 on: Sun, 02 December 2018, 22:52:25 »
You started this! You think you can back out now?

Why, certainly. I've been married over 20 years and do believe I've become quite adept at retreat, backpedalling, ducking-and-covering, and so on... Though I'd need to check with my wife to be sure.