geekhack Marketplace > Group Buys and Preorders

[GB] DCS Solarized Dark - Shipping Now!

(1/33) > >>

Aiwanei:
DCS Solarized Dark

As someone who was a programmer for many years the IDE theme Solarized Dark has always been a favorite of mine and I am also a big fan of the feel and sound of DCS profile, so I set out to combine these two into the keyset DCS Solarized Dark.  While I know that there have been Solarized Dark themed keysets in other profiles (GMK, XA, DSS) previously, I have felt that none of them quite captured the IDE themes spirit completely for me.

The Backstory
Solarized Dark is an IDE theme variant of Solarized both created by Ethan Schoonover originally for VIM.  It has been ported to many IDE's over the years and features a teal base with grey text and a multitude of colors for syntax highlighting.  I really wanted to create a set that when I looked down at my keyboard, made me think immediately of the IDE theme. The biggest question I had was do I use custom colors or stock colors.  Now SP has a wide range of custom colors, that can get you very far, but could it get me far enough?  After sitting down, comparing the IDE to the SP sample chips, tweaking, and compiling the options, and talking to Ethan about what he thought of the colors, tweaking some more, getting more feedback, I feel that using stock colors would give a pretty fair representation of the IDE theme, while also creating the parameters of the project as "Solarized Dark in DCS profile using the SP Stock Colors as the Color Palette"

To find out more about the solarized IDE theme and the concept behind it please visit this link.

Group Buy Date: 11/11 to 12/12

Manufacturer: Signature Plastics
Material: ABS
Profile: DCS

Estimated Shipping Date: Q2 2022

Early Bird Bonus:
At ThocKeys (and some of the other vendors), we will be offering a special early bird bonus.  Anyone who buys the base kit between November 11th and November 14th will get the VIM kit for free!  I feel VIM is a very important part of the identity of Solarized (Dark) since that is where it was born, so to celebrate this, and because 11/11 is my birthday, I figured I would give a gift to everyone who supports this set early.

Confirmed vendors taking part: ThocKeys(Nov 11 - Nov 14), Hand Engineering (Nov 11 - Nov 14), Rectangles (Nov 11 - Nov 14), BaseKeys (Nov 11 - Nov 14), Rebult (Nov 11 - Nov 14), AlphaKeys.ca (Nov 11 - Nov 14), Keygem (Nov 11 - Nov 14) please check with your regional vendor to see if they are taking part.

Kitting:
:Base Kit

:Whitespace (Spacebars)

:Relegendables

:VIM Arrows

:Monocolor Mods

:"Classic" Accents

:Kingsize Spacebar

:Ortho + Expanded40s

:International

Additional Items:
SolDark Tactile Switch Manufactured by Gateron

Glamour Shot
Force Graph

Force Graph Comparison

Typing Test by Katanakaji

Keybee Yin Yang Metal Keycap

Renders(by Pwade):
Iron 165 by Smith + Rune

Neue by Hand Engineering

W1-AT by Geon Works - Shown With 10u Space Bar and Relegendables

HBCP by Hiney - Shown with Accent Kit and Relegendables

Colors:
All Stock SP Colors(no color matching required):
BGK
BFN
GKH
BGM
BEY
RA
YG
OAV
RDX
VAV
REK
BBQ
Vendors:
US: ThocKeys.com - Live
UK: HandEngineering - Live
EU: Keygem - Live
CA: AlphaKeys - Live
OCE: SwitchKeys - Live
JP: Basekeys - Live
South America(Chile): Fancy Customs - Live
Mexico:Rheset.mx - Live
SEA(MY): Rebult Keyboards - Live
IN: Rectangles.store - Live
Other:
Thanks
First and foremost I wanted to say thank you first of all to Ethan Schoonover for creating the Solarized Dark theme and his feedback, time and support that he gave me on this endeavor.
Pwade, thank you for not killing me when I came to you asking you to match 11 colors for the renders and being patient with me as we tried to get them right.
Fooblitzky for the awesome DCS models that made these renders possible.
Lewis Flude for your support and enthusiasm when I shared this project as well as for the Neue model to render the set on.
The members(both current and former) of the Ratden discord for their support and energy while I threw various ideas at them.
James from AKB for doing absolutely nothing in regards to this project.
Thank you Capsy, for supporting the set and being a bro.
OCM, Langelandia, Urbantheiii, Jae, Quakemz, Noxygen and so many others, thanks for being positive people and for bending an ear when I want to discuss ideas or projects.
Thank you Dededecline and NoPunIn10Did for kitting assistance (especially 40s and International)
Many others that I am sure I have forgotten.

Signature:
approved

Darth_munkee:
Just scrolling through to look at the pics before reading anything I thought the force curve was a deskmat to go with the set. So if you need one, there you go.

Set looks great!

Aiwanei:

--- Quote from: Darth_munkee on Wed, 10 November 2021, 06:32:17 ---Just scrolling through to look at the pics before reading anything I thought the force curve was a deskmat to go with the set. So if you need one, there you go.

Set looks great!

--- End quote ---

Haha I had tried to make a VIM cheatsheet Deskmat, but it was overly complicated and busy that it just didn't look good sadly :(

Puddsy:
DCS renaissance too good. i will order as soon as it lets me

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version