Author Topic: is redragon k552 safe to buy  (Read 2711 times)

Offline PlayBox

is redragon k552 safe to buy
« on: Wed, 10 August 2022, 07:36:39 »
since no replies to my last post abou this for almost 24h im posting this. is redragon k552 safe to buy? are there any issues that will involve soldering?
« Last Edit: Wed, 10 August 2022, 08:03:34 by PlayBox »
propably sent from my amazon kindle 10th gen

Offline PlayBox

Re: is redragon k552 safe to buy
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 10 August 2022, 13:54:36 »
it has been like almost 5 hours and no replies

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 10 August 2022, 15:40:02 »
I'm not sure what you expect here.  Clearly you found some reviews that say it's unreliable but if they sold a million and you found only three bad reviews the chances of the one you buy being good are very high.  If they've only sold 50 and you found three bad reviews the chances of you getting a good one are much worse...  This is of course assuming that the negative reviews are genuine not faked by a competitor.

Unless anyone here happens to work in the redragon warranty department no-one knows how reliable they are - your guess is as good as anyone's.  If you like the look of it buy it, you're going to solder something at some point if you have an interest in keyboards so if it needs fixing you can learn something and fix it, it's a good feeling when you do :)
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline PlayBox

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 10 August 2022, 15:57:14 »
thx for the reply this is exactly what i wanted to know. maybe its not my favourite looking keyboard but i think i can make it look good

Offline atarione

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 10 August 2022, 17:28:27 »
I personally haven't ever seen this keyboard in person or used it...    it seems likely that the majority of persons on this board haven't really used /seen one either,unless they bought one for their kids or out of curiosity or ???

is it "safe" to buy... I mean it is $33 so yeah... probably, I assume most people get a passable, if absolutely entry level board ... however at this price point QC is going to be dubious as best and people with faulty / boards that fail in some way within a few months are reported in teh user reviews.

I personally wouldn't buy one of these (i don't find it's aesthetics at all to my taste).     

If it was me I'd look at some a bit more expensive /higher quality options

My own keyboard since 2014 is a Filco MJ 2 TKL that currently I see listed for $110~ on amazon (annoyingly it was more expensive in 2014 when I bought this one.. meh)..   whatever There are other decent quality options for less money to be sure...     But I'd rather buy something decentent once then buy something super cheap and end up wanting something nicer 2 months later anyways. 

These are some other boards I like

IKBC CD87 V2 ..no rgb or hotswap ... honestly this one ticks me off a little as it looks like a costar clone from china) but it is $77 with nice double shot pbt keycaps...  but if you are going to imitate something costar/filco is not a bad choice I guess?

and the also no rgb / or hotwap Durgod Taurus K320 TKL with is about $100 on amazon currently.

If you need to keep it budget I'd personally find the looks of the VELOCIFIRE TKL02 much better than the K552 ... I'm not sure /doubtful the build quality is much different / better or worse certainly than the RD

You could /should? maybe check out the CIV X77 and the various Keychron options out there... ?   

It is up to you and what your tastes / preference are but using something a bit nicer is going to be more enjoyable... I'm going to take a educated guess that my Filco will last longer and be more enjoyable to use (as it better be for 3x~ the cost I guess)...     But I have kinda figured it this way.. right now even at the higher prices I had to pay in 2014 my per year cost of my Filco (and replacement PBT doubleshot keycaps) is about ~$20 per year..       If I had $35~ keyboards and they broke every year or two or even 3 I'd be getting close to the same overall costs for a inferior user experience?

If at all possible I buy quality once over cheap multiple times.