Author Topic: LG G2 Lollipop Update  (Read 3685 times)

Offline plegnic

• Treble Booty. Bass Guitar.
LG G2 Lollipop Update
« on: Thu, 02 April 2015, 12:17:57 »
Anyone else on Verizon get the Android 5.0 update for their LG G2 today? Mine is updating right now...   ;D
Planck MIT layout [MX Clears] (in-progress) | QuickFire Storm TK [MX Brown] | Poker II [MX Blue]

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
Re: LG G2 Lollipop Update
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 02 April 2015, 12:19:13 »
updated mine last night. Works fine. Seems to have some memory leak issues though. Had to restart my phone a few times due to sluggishness
Boards: Kingsaver Complicated Blue Alps |Sprit 60% Transparent MX Clears in Gateron housings with 62g gold Sprit springs lubed and RGB color shifting LEDs | Ducky Shine Zone MX Black with Blue LEDs | Realforce 10AE Variable Silenced

B/S/T thread: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=55351.0

Past projects: KBT Race 2 L.E.
Past Boards: Ducky Shine 2 | KBT Pure | LZ Aluminum Skin| HHKB | Realforce 23u |

Offline plegnic

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 02 April 2015, 12:20:51 »
updated mine last night. Works fine. Seems to have some memory leak issues though. Had to restart my phone a few times due to sluggishness
That's unfortunate... guess that means there may be another update coming out in a few weeks to fix it. My update just failed... trying again. (Hopefully I won't have to factory restore to get the update to stick).
Planck MIT layout [MX Clears] (in-progress) | QuickFire Storm TK [MX Brown] | Poker II [MX Blue]

Offline neverused

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 02 April 2015, 12:27:57 »
I was running a debloated and rooted VZW version for about a day but the battery life was awful. I'm running a CM12 version of 5.0.2 and it's going pretty well after disabling auto-brightness settings.

I do feel that charging on lollipop is slow as well.

Offline neverused

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 02 April 2015, 12:28:45 »
That's unfortunate... guess that means there may be another update coming out in a few weeks to fix it. My update just failed... trying again. (Hopefully I won't have to factory restore to get the update to stick).
Unfortunately a factory restore is always a good idea for major updates.

Offline plegnic

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 02 April 2015, 12:29:50 »
I was running a debloated and rooted VZW version for about a day but the battery life was awful. I'm running a CM12 version of 5.0.2 and it's going pretty well after disabling auto-brightness settings.

Yeah I used to be on a rooted version, but I reflashed to an OTA update so I could try 5.0 as soon as they released it through the official channels. Probably not really worth it, but I just wanted to be able to try it out.

Offline neverused

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 02 April 2015, 12:33:18 »

Yeah I used to be on a rooted version, but I reflashed to an OTA update so I could try 5.0 as soon as they released it through the official channels. Probably not really worth it, but I just wanted to be able to try it out.
I can understand that, running rooted firmware can be a labor of love sometimes. It's the notification bar and pull down menu that I can't stand in the VZW version.

Offline plegnic

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 02 April 2015, 13:08:17 »
Unfortunately a factory restore is always a good idea for major updates.

Yeah, understandably. It's just convenient if you can avoid having to reconfigure!

I can understand that, running rooted firmware can be a labor of love sometimes. It's the notification bar and pull down menu that I can't stand in the VZW version.

For sure. That doesn't even bother me as much as all of the duplicate apps that LG/VZW insists on installing (Why do I need LG voice commands AND Google now? Does anyone use VZ navigator? etc.)

Looks like the update actually worked this time; now it's optimizing the apps. If I have battery/memory/speed issues I'll factory restore and start over.

Offline neverused

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 02 April 2015, 13:11:32 »
Good luck! Report back on your experience

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 02 April 2015, 13:27:29 »

I actually like what LG did with it in Lollipop.
Boards: Kingsaver Complicated Blue Alps |Sprit 60% Transparent MX Clears in Gateron housings with 62g gold Sprit springs lubed and RGB color shifting LEDs | Ducky Shine Zone MX Black with Blue LEDs | Realforce 10AE Variable Silenced

B/S/T thread: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=55351.0

Past projects: KBT Race 2 L.E.
Past Boards: Ducky Shine 2 | KBT Pure | LZ Aluminum Skin| HHKB | Realforce 23u |

Offline neverused

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 02 April 2015, 13:48:21 »

I actually like what LG did with it in Lollipop.
It's not as bad as the ice cream sandwich / kit kat modifications but it's not my cup of tea. Glad you like it though.

The VZW bloatware is just awful though

Offline plegnic

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 03 April 2015, 09:40:03 »
After a day of using this Lollipop update:

+ They finally added the option for an app-switch button on the bottom bar!
+ The new design looks really good and doesn't look so much like LG just slapped something over standard android.
+ I'm not having any battery issues or anything

- No Knock Code? Only knock on :(
- Putting chrome tabs in the app list is a horrible idea. Disabled that immediately. (IE does the same thing on Windows and it drives me up the wall).
- Dragging up from the bottom of the screen no longer works for starting QuickMemo. Have to launch from the drag-down menu now.
- Cannot cancel the volume popup. You have to wait for it to go away on its own and it is massive.
- "Interruptions" and "Priority" volume control doesn't work. I leave my phone on silent 90% of the time BUT I need alarms to be able to sound and I want the notification LED. I tried to set priority mode to allow this, but it keeps switching back to vibrate mode! It might be a problem with Tasker so I've disabled that for now to see if that helps. I think interruptions might be a great option for volume control, but not if it doesn't work.
- Priority mode adds yet another icon to the top-right half of the notification bar which now takes up 75% of the screen:

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 13 April 2015, 09:26:28 »
I have the lg gs ls980vze by boost yet runs on sprint towers know the question is,? Will this update function in this realm of👽since Sprint,Verizon,are cdma devices? Mine has a sim card but its more or less for the use of LTE.

Offline plegnic

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 13 April 2015, 09:36:48 »
I have the lg gs ls980vze by boost yet runs on sprint towers know the question is,? Will this update function in this realm of👽since Sprint,Verizon,are cdma devices? Mine has a sim card but its more or less for the use of LTE.
That's tough. I believe it is the exact same hardware, but you'd have to make sure that the baseband versions and all that are identical. The xda-developers forum would probably be the best place to ask.

« Reply #14 on: Mon, 13 April 2015, 18:40:35 »
Thanks much plgnic