Author Topic: Advice on camera  (Read 2349 times)

Offline engicoder

Advice on camera
« on: Mon, 20 April 2015, 22:38:49 »
I need some help/advice on finding a new camera. I'm not looking to become an expert photographer. My phone does what I need for outdoors photos and anywhere with good lighting. I am looking for something to take indoors photos, where phones generally suck.

My criteria:
  • Primary use: Indoors photos of small to medium sized static objects. (Things for ebay, models, keyboards, etc)
  • Good medium to low light (not dark or night)
  • Good macro ability
  • Easy to use

Cost? Rather than setting a price, tell me what will achieve my goals without excessive cost for capabilities I won't use.

« Last Edit: Mon, 20 April 2015, 22:55:44 by engicoder »

Offline tbc

Re: Advice on camera
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 20 April 2015, 22:49:42 »
indoors is a huge descriptor.

can you be more specific?  group shots?  circus?  food?
ALL zombros wanted:  dead or undead or dead-dead.

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 20 April 2015, 22:54:33 »
Bang for you buck?  Look at the Nex series mirrorless from Sony.  Decent amount of lenses including old manual glass from minolta and if you're ok with a couple year old tech, not terribly priced at all.  I have an a6000 that seems like it's everything a cmos sensor based camera can be.  My sister has a nex 5 (r or t, I can't remember), mom an a5000 and a handful of friends have various versions in between as well.

Most of my use is with a lightbox and tripod for cable shots, btw.  I use it for everything, but that's the main thing I camera with.
« Last Edit: Mon, 20 April 2015, 22:57:12 by tjcaustin »

Offline engicoder

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 20 April 2015, 22:55:15 »
indoors is a huge descriptor.

can you be more specific?  group shots?  circus?  food?

Updated my criteria with an answer...basically taking photos of small static objects.

Offline engicoder

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 20 April 2015, 23:04:56 »
Bang for you buck?  Look at the Nex series mirrorless from Sony.  Decent amount of lenses including old manual glass from minolta and if you're ok with a couple year old tech, not terribly priced at all.  I have an a6000 that seems like it's everything a cmos sensor based camera can be.  My sister has a nex 5 (r or t, I can't remember), mom an a5000 and a handful of friends have various versions in between as well.

Most of my use is with a lightbox and tripod for cable shots, btw.  I use it for everything, but that's the main thing I camera with.

Do you mean something like this?

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 20 April 2015, 23:07:17 »

Do you mean something like this?

(Attachment Link)

I do.

Offline tbc

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 21 April 2015, 17:58:53 »
This is going to be a 'medium' level comprehensive guide to product photography equipment:

First thing first, the equipment you'll need to buy; you may find LOWER prices that what I'm showing here, but you do NOT need to pay more:

Sony A6000 - $650 : http://store.sony.com/-alpha-6000-mirrorless-interchangeable-lens-camera-zid27-ILCE6000//cat-27-catid-all-alpha-advanced-amateur?vva_ColorCode=BC008
30mm Macro - $280 : http://store.sony.com/e-30mm-f3.5-macro-e-mount-macro-lens-zid27-SEL30M35/cat-27-catid-All-Alpha-NEX-Lenses?_t=pfm%3Dsearch
Tripod - ~$50 -> $100
Ball-Head - ~$100
Lightbox - $70
Lamps - $50

Total: $1250

For your tripod and ballhead needs, I recommend Sirui.

What does this get you?

1: Product shots with a mostly white background.  The lightbox with the lamps and possibly the tripod are needed for this.

2: Product shots in settings around the house.  You will use your tripod and set a long exposure to get the correct brightness.

3: Macro shots.  You can easily get shots where a keycap will fill 1/3 of the frame.  You can get even closer, but it gets kinda awkward using a fullsize tripod pushed against the table where your subject is.

What will you need to learn?

You need to get comfortable using manual mode to make good use of your equipment and get professional looking shots.

You'll be using long exposures (1 to 5 seconds likely - but I don't actually know how dark your setting is) and medium apertures (around F8) on a tripod.  But do NOT take these suggestions as gospel, you should still take the time to learn the exposure triangle.  This isn't really hard though, the a6000 is a mirrorless camera (NOT a DSLR) and the screen and viewfinder are WYSIWYG; on a DSLR, your viewfinder shows what your eye sees, what the camera sensor sees is entirely different.  Since this is technically a studio setting, keep your ISO at 100 to minimize noise.

Other accessories?:

Joby Gorillapod (table-top tripod) - used for tight spots such as under a table or for close-up 1:1 magnification shots.

Ring Light/Flash - adds a ringlight effect to the eyes of sculptures/dolls.  Otherwise, it's handy for full macro shots, but you already have a gorillapod and can use a long exposure ; don't buy this, just save your money instead.

HVL-F32M Flash - This will allow you to more nimbly use your camera; you'll get proper exposure without needing to use your tripod, giving you faster setup/clean up times and better angles for your shots.  Set your shutter speed to about 1/50, your aperture to your taste, and flash compensation to +0 (adjust and retake photos as necessary).  Make sure it's pointed at the ceiling and you're good to go.  This won't help you with macro shots of keycaps because the lens will be VERY close and block out light; you'd need a 50mm or 100mm macro lens before the flash can kick in.

EDIT:

Counter-point:

no one suggests using 30mm, why did you recommend it?

Answer:

Since this is a product photography usecase, it's convenient to be physically closer to your product, than you would be using a 50mm or 100mm lens, to readjust things.

« Last Edit: Tue, 21 April 2015, 18:23:05 by tbc »

Offline engicoder

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 22 April 2015, 08:59:22 »
This is going to be a 'medium' level comprehensive guide to product photography equipment:
More
First thing first, the equipment you'll need to buy; you may find LOWER prices that what I'm showing here, but you do NOT need to pay more:

Sony A6000 - $650 : http://store.sony.com/-alpha-6000-mirrorless-interchangeable-lens-camera-zid27-ILCE6000//cat-27-catid-all-alpha-advanced-amateur?vva_ColorCode=BC008
30mm Macro - $280 : http://store.sony.com/e-30mm-f3.5-macro-e-mount-macro-lens-zid27-SEL30M35/cat-27-catid-All-Alpha-NEX-Lenses?_t=pfm%3Dsearch
Tripod - ~$50 -> $100
Ball-Head - ~$100
Lightbox - $70
Lamps - $50

For your tripod and ballhead needs, I recommend Sirui.

What does this get you?

1: Product shots with a mostly white background.  The lightbox with the lamps and possibly the tripod are needed for this.

2: Product shots in settings around the house.  You will use your tripod and set a long exposure to get the correct brightness.

3: Macro shots.  You can easily get shots where a keycap will fill 1/3 of the frame.  You can get even closer, but it gets kinda awkward using a fullsize tripod pushed against the table where your subject is.

What will you need to learn?

You need to get comfortable using manual mode to make good use of your equipment and get professional looking shots.

You'll be using long exposures (1 to 5 seconds likely - but I don't actually know how dark your setting is) and medium apertures (around F8) on a tripod.  But do NOT take these suggestions as gospel, you should still take the time to learn the exposure triangle.  This isn't really hard though, the a6000 is a mirrorless camera (NOT a DSLR) and the screen and viewfinder are WYSIWYG; on a DSLR, your viewfinder shows what your eye sees, what the camera sensor sees is entirely different.  Since this is technically a studio setting, keep your ISO at 100 to minimize noise.

Other accessories?:

Joby Gorillapod (table-top tripod) - used for tight spots such as under a table or for close-up 1:1 magnification shots.

Ring Light/Flash - adds a ringlight effect to the eyes of sculptures/dolls.  Otherwise, it's handy for full macro shots, but you already have a gorillapod and can use a long exposure ; don't buy this, just save your money instead.

HVL-F32M Flash - This will allow you to more nimbly use your camera; you'll get proper exposure without needing to use your tripod, giving you faster setup/clean up times and better angles for your shots.  Set your shutter speed to about 1/50, your aperture to your taste, and flash compensation to +0 (adjust and retake photos as necessary).  Make sure it's pointed at the ceiling and you're good to go.  This won't help you with macro shots of keycaps because the lens will be VERY close and block out light; you'd need a 50mm or 100mm macro lens before the flash can kick in.

EDIT:

Counter-point:

no one suggests using 30mm, why did you recommend it?

Answer:

Since this is a product photography usecase, it's convenient to be physically closer to your product, than you would be using a 50mm or 100mm lens, to readjust things.

Thanks for the thorough reply and recommendations. Everything points towards tripod/lightbox/learning combination.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 22 April 2015, 21:14:53 »
You could also get a lens extender if you want a somewhat cheaper route for macro shots. Something like this
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline JaccoW

• Fire Typer!!
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Keyboard is Lava!
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 23 April 2015, 02:29:50 »

Tripod - ~$50 -> $100
Ball-Head - ~$100
Lightbox - $70
Lamps - $50

tbc is right. Tripod + lightbox + lights is where it's at.

You could save some money by buying a slightly older generation Nex and using vintage macro lenses off eBay but for that you have to know what you are doing.
I'm still using a 5 year old Sony Nex-5 for most of my shots on here with manual lenses and as long as you set it to ISO 100 it will be really sharp.

The a6000 + Sony macro lens should be a great and sharp combo. :)
« Last Edit: Thu, 23 April 2015, 02:31:24 by JaccoW »
|||Daily driver: Duck Orion TKL
|||My other keyboards :
More
|||The Original|Home|Work|Numpad|Play|Endgame|Keycaps
x
|Déck Legend Frost|Keycool 87 LE|Leopold FC660M|FC 210TP|Raptor K1 Gaming|Duck Orion TKL|My keycaps & sets
|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics

|||Want to know what Keycap stores there are? Check out my Keyboard Pearltree and my (FS/FT/WTB) thread

Offline tbc

« Reply #10 on: Sat, 25 April 2015, 01:57:47 »
here's one important point to going with sony, you get capture one pro 8 for $30USD.

c1v8 is a competitor to lightroom.  everyone knows what photoshop is; lightroom is a more specialized tool for digital photography with catalog support and a simpler set of tools (photoshop is a general digital image tool, not just for photos).  lightroom is where pros spend the vast majority of their time processing their pictures.

the full life time version for $30.  good luck finding that deal anywhere else.

Offline Altis

« Reply #11 on: Sat, 25 April 2015, 21:04:26 »
+1 for Sony NEX / e-mount cameras. Absolutely fantastic. If you can score a NEX 6 for a decent price, it has an exceptional digital viewfinder (better than the a6000) and the pop-up flash that can be tilted to fire at the ceiling -- great for indoor events.

Nice thing about those Sony cameras is the sensors are large APS-C sized and they have the hybrid PDAF.
WhiteFox (Gateron Brown) -- Realforce 87U 45g -- Realforce 104UG (Hi Pro 45g) -- Realforce 108US 30g JIS -- HHKB Pro 2 -- IBM Model M ('90) -- IBM Model M SSK ('87) -- NMB RT-101 & RT-8255C+ (Hi-Tek Space Invaders) -- Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blue Alps) -- KPT-102 (KPT Alps) -- KUL ES-87 (62/65g Purple Zealios) -- CM QFR (MX Red) -- Apple Aluminum BT -- Realforce 23u Numpad -- Logitech K740 -- QSENN DT-35 -- Zenith Z-150 (Green Alps)

Offline LarsMarkelson

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 28 April 2015, 18:55:38 »
Agree with others, a little lightbox is one of the best things to buy for this purpose. You want it to be big enough to fit whatever you might shoot but small enough so it's not annoying for your space (unless you live in a studio).

Also, a point and shoot with a pop up flash that can be angled is really really cool (NEX 6). Great feature.