Author Topic: PBT keycaps with Cherry profile  (Read 7059 times)

Offline absence

PBT keycaps with Cherry profile
« on: Sun, 14 October 2018, 15:15:54 »
What are the options for PBT keycaps with Cherry profile? Does GMK make them? Their sets seem to be double shot ABS... Other options?

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
Re: PBT keycaps with Cherry profile
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 14 October 2018, 15:33:34 »
What are the options for PBT keycaps with Cherry profile? Does GMK make them? Their sets seem to be double shot ABS... Other options?
EnjoyPBT, IMSTO, BSP, and Cherry stuff (vintage).

There's quite a lot out there.

GMK only makes ABS sets.

Sent from my mobile using Tapatalk

Offline absence

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 14 October 2018, 17:28:25 »
Thanks! Seems like IMSTO is missing ISO support and BSP is missing space bar (what?), so that narrows it down a bit. If I don't care about the look, are there any disadvantages to EnjoyPBT over GMK or Cherry? The blank set is quite cheap, and there's a presumably matching ISO kit. Alternatively, is it better to scavenge keys from an old Cherry? Are there any cheap and easily available models with ISO support?

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 14 October 2018, 18:13:13 »
The reason for missing spacebar (on BSP) is that PBT warps more easily -- with the extended lengths (6.25u / 7u) they are more prone to failure. I assume they simply circumvented the problem by not making them.

If you don't care about the look, EnjoyPBT is cheaper and will work just fine.

For Cherry or GMK you won't find blanks.

You can scavenge Cherry vintage boards if you'd like, but coming across PBT sets is more unlikely than for doubleshots.

Offline absence

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 15 October 2018, 05:09:39 »
If vintage Cherry boards with PBT are uncommon, I guess EnjoyPBT is the simplest choice. Do you (or anyone else) have experience with the colours of the blank kit? Two of them seem to be "white" and "even whiter" (colours 5 and 4, respectively, at kbdfans), and I wonder how they compare to the keycaps on the white Vortex Pok3r? It's not that I particularily want a blank set, they're just cheaper. :)

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 15 October 2018, 05:38:51 »
That's about right if they're the ones I'm thinking of.  The bright ones are said to be blinding so you might want to avoid them :))
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline vegs

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 15 October 2018, 05:47:08 »
If vintage Cherry boards with PBT are uncommon, I guess EnjoyPBT is the simplest choice. Do you (or anyone else) have experience with the colours of the blank kit? Two of them seem to be "white" and "even whiter" (colours 5 and 4, respectively, at kbdfans), and I wonder how they compare to the keycaps on the white Vortex Pok3r? It's not that I particularily want a blank set, they're just cheaper. :)
I have both a black and a white set (colors 3 and 4). I'm very happy with mine :) The white is really white, it's close to the white on jelly POMs.
hhkb | hhkb bt | cherry g80-5000 | haus | unikorn se

buy less

Offline absence

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 17 October 2018, 16:41:31 »
The white is really white, it's close to the white on jelly POMs.
I'm not familiar with those, but how do the "white white" EnjoyPBTs compare to regular office/printer/copy paper?

Offline Tactile

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 18 October 2018, 16:41:50 »
Blank EnjoyPBT are very nice, quality caps.
REΛLFORCE

Offline LevelSteam

« Reply #9 on: Sat, 20 October 2018, 19:20:25 »
Enjoy PBT is a great option as others have mentioned. I also personally love Varmilo's dye-sub PBT caps that many of their boards ship with. You can find just their caps on various sites like mechanicalkeyboards.com as well.

Offline absence

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 22 October 2018, 11:25:17 »
EnjoyPBT sounds good. Still curious about the differences in the white colours though...

I also personally love Varmilo's dye-sub PBT caps that many of their boards ship with. You can find just their caps on various sites like mechanicalkeyboards.com as well.
How close are they to Cherry profile?

Offline vegs

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 23 October 2018, 06:32:35 »
EnjoyPBT sounds good. Still curious about the differences in the white colours though...

I also personally love Varmilo's dye-sub PBT caps that many of their boards ship with. You can find just their caps on various sites like mechanicalkeyboards.com as well.
How close are they to Cherry profile?
So Varmilo is the same as Leopold's profile, SS2. It's very close to Cherry profile.
hhkb | hhkb bt | cherry g80-5000 | haus | unikorn se

buy less

Offline LevelSteam

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 23 October 2018, 14:45:08 »
Oops, I didn't even realize that Varmilo used SS2 and not Cherry profile! Sorry about that.

The two are pretty close though. Varmilo's keycaps were what originally convined me to buy my first GMK set since I wasn't sure if I'd like the lower profile keys. Now I can't go back to OEM or SA.

Offline Zuology

• Why does this rabbit-hole have so many side-quests
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 23 October 2018, 15:26:25 »
The white is really white, it's close to the white on jelly POMs.
I'm not familiar with those, but how do the "white white" EnjoyPBTs compare to regular office/printer/copy paper?

Potato pic of the ePBT BoW I have on a black YMD75 for your reference:
More
75%: Scarlet Bandana (TBD) | Singa75 Polycarb (TBD) | SKB75 (TBD) | YMD75 (Box Navy) | XD84 (Outemu Ice) | Plum84 (BKE Redux Heavy)
TKL: ALF X1.1 SE (TBD) | LZ Iron White (TBD) | Fox Labs Orange (TBD) | Alu WASDv2 (Cherry Green) | MechkeyAlpha MA87 (Kailh Box Burnt Orange) | Archon RE:AL Superior EX (Nopre 65g)
Full+: Clueboard Double 1800 (Vint Clears) | IBM Model M | IBM Model F XT

Offline tex_live_utility

• MX brown apologist
    • twitch.tv/salt_rock_lamp
« Reply #14 on: Sun, 25 November 2018, 11:29:18 »
KBDFans and KPRepublic sell unbranded good quality PBT sets in Cherry profile, e.g. the "cheese" and "pirate" sets, as well as Green Train.

NPKC also now makes Cherry profile versions of their "rainbow" sets, which are excellent quality for the price.
Discord: salt rock lamp#0679 | Reddit: /u/nerdponx | Deskthority: autoload -Uz | Keebtalk: salt_rock_lamp
Twitch: salt_rock_lamp | YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCd7YXZjilUutJ6ShZWrvQtg | Instagram: @salt_rock_keyboards

Offline absence

« Reply #15 on: Sat, 01 December 2018, 10:45:49 »
KBDFans and KPRepublic sell unbranded good quality PBT sets in Cherry profile, e.g. the "cheese" and "pirate" sets, as well as Green Train.
Thanks for the suggestions! While it may not reflect the quality of the actual keycaps, the misspelled tab key on Green Train doesn't inspire confidence. :) Cheese and Pirate don't seem to have ISO keys.

NPKC also now makes Cherry profile versions of their "rainbow" sets, which are excellent quality for the price.
How does NPKC compare to EnjoyPBT?

Offline tex_live_utility

• MX brown apologist
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 19 December 2018, 07:12:01 »
Thanks for the suggestions! While it may not reflect the quality of the actual keycaps, the misspelled tab key on Green Train doesn't inspire confidence. :) Cheese and Pirate don't seem to have ISO keys.

I own Green Train and never noticed the typo  :eek: I'll have to check and see if my actual caps have that problem.

NPKC is a bit thicker (1.5mm), and has a somewhat rougher finish.
Discord: salt rock lamp#0679 | Reddit: /u/nerdponx | Deskthority: autoload -Uz | Keebtalk: salt_rock_lamp
Twitch: salt_rock_lamp | YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCd7YXZjilUutJ6ShZWrvQtg | Instagram: @salt_rock_keyboards

Offline tex_live_utility

• MX brown apologist
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 19 December 2018, 07:14:07 »

I own Green Train and never noticed the typo  :eek: I'll have to check and see if my actual caps have that problem.

NPKC is a bit thicker (1.5mm), and has a somewhat rougher finish. They don't make many dye subs, however, so you'll want front printed or blanks.

Offline scoopbb

« Reply #18 on: Wed, 19 December 2018, 15:02:24 »
i really like the PoW enjoypbt set. Wish they had more ortho support. I think only the grayscale set has ortho kit which I feel would make it look strange.

are the epbt caps smooth? ive used a few different pbt sets and some have been sandpaper-esque which I can't stand.

Offline macclack

• Macclack
« Reply #19 on: Wed, 19 December 2018, 23:40:54 »
The reason for missing spacebar (on BSP) is that PBT warps more easily -- with the extended lengths (6.25u / 7u) they are more prone to failure. I assume they simply circumvented the problem by not making them.

You can scavenge Cherry vintage boards if you'd like, but coming across PBT sets is more unlikely than for doubleshots.

Gotta say, enjoyPBT has come a long way. Not as sharp as sig plastics dye sub but it's improved a LOT.

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
« Reply #20 on: Wed, 19 December 2018, 23:45:08 »

Gotta say, enjoyPBT has come a long way. Not as sharp as sig plastics dye sub but it's improved a LOT.

No disagreements there. I've gotten the Topre EnjoyPBT set, and I admit they have improved quite a bit!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #21 on: Thu, 20 December 2018, 20:20:11 »

No disagreements there. I've gotten the Topre EnjoyPBT set, and I admit they have improved quite a bit!

How long has Topre EnjoyPBT sets been a thing?!?

Were any coloured sets produced?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
« Reply #22 on: Thu, 20 December 2018, 20:22:35 »

Not too long actually. The ePBT 9009 set is the first of its kind and it is just reaching people's doors.

https://kbdfans.cn/collections/electrostatic-capacitive-keycaps

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #23 on: Thu, 20 December 2018, 20:32:08 »

Not too long actually. The ePBT 9009 set is the first of its kind and it is just reaching people's doors.

https://kbdfans.cn/collections/electrostatic-capacitive-keycaps

Oh, cool!  Thanks for that :)

I've seen the blank sets before, didn't know they were making printed sets too.

All we need is a fluoro yellow printed set and all will be right in the world :D
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ