Author Topic: GeekHack Kendama Team  (Read 75805 times)

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
Re: GeekHack Kendama Team
« Reply #250 on: Tue, 04 November 2014, 11:32:54 »
I've been considering doing something similar up here in Boston at NorthEastern university. But I wanna get considerably better first. Right now the most advanced trick I can consistently do is airplane. :-[ But practice makes perfect. ;D
I'll come to your kendama club!

my airplane isn't even that consistent. Maybe 5-7/10
I'll let you know when I start. ;)
When I first start for the day I get like 7/10 of my airplanes. But once I get into a rhythm (after like 5 or so minutes) I can hit 9-10/10.

all y'all practise more than I do. No wonder you're all better. I need to change that.

Offline Vibex

• Love y'all
« Reply #251 on: Wed, 05 November 2014, 20:44:55 »
all y'all practise more than I do. No wonder you're all better. I need to change that.
I just practice when I'm trying to solve programming problems. It helps me focus. :p

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #252 on: Thu, 06 November 2014, 09:01:09 »
I just practice when I'm trying to solve programming problems. It helps me focus. :p

TIL I need to acquire some programming problems.

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #253 on: Thu, 06 November 2014, 15:35:57 »
I really need to up my game to more "thinking" type work and less "doing" type work.

it is such a waste to have a brain, yet only do work that a robot could do.

my trouble is that no-one wants to believe you can think without serious proof (fancy paper, etc.) whereas mostly they don't care how good you are at "doing". The top 5% computer repair techs in the USA make the same money as the bottom 5%. (anyone below that probably gets fired for being so horrible).

the thought is that doing things like kendama can help you think. I agree that games of skill and maybe a little physical activity are excellent for thinking and creativity.
« Last Edit: Thu, 06 November 2014, 15:38:31 by dorkvader »

Offline Lingj

« Reply #254 on: Thu, 06 November 2014, 16:24:33 »

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #255 on: Thu, 06 November 2014, 19:08:00 »

Offline Lingj

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #257 on: Fri, 07 November 2014, 13:39:49 »
so if I click on it I'll be on a video call with you? and we can do kendamas and stuff?

Offline V1ral

« Reply #258 on: Mon, 24 November 2014, 17:01:54 »
I clicked it. I was alone.  ;w;

Yes, ok, I am way late.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #259 on: Mon, 24 November 2014, 17:04:52 »
I clicked it. I was alone.  ;w;

Yes, ok, I am way late.

Only two and a half weeks late.  No big deal.  >.>

Offline Vibex

• Love y'all
« Reply #260 on: Mon, 24 November 2014, 21:30:10 »
So whats the kendama scene looking like for the next Keycon? We should have a tournament (now that I actually know how to use one and can participate :rolleyes:).

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #261 on: Tue, 25 November 2014, 13:25:21 »
So whats the kendama scene looking like for the next Keycon? We should have a tournament (now that I actually know how to use one and can participate :rolleyes:).

I would be happy to lose a kendama tournament at the next keycon.

Maybe I should retire with my title belt :p

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #262 on: Wed, 26 November 2014, 06:19:26 »

I'd still be down to play even though I'm out of practice :)

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #263 on: Wed, 26 November 2014, 07:50:18 »

I'd still be down to play even though I'm out of practice :)

Kendama is life.

Of course there will be kendama at the next KendamaKahn (disguised as KeyCon, of course).

Offline Lingj

« Reply #264 on: Mon, 01 December 2014, 17:49:29 »
Forgot to mention there are many Kendama sales this weekend. Today is basically the last day. New KendamaUSA promodels are out and a new Kaizen line is out as well.

Offline Vibex

• Love y'all
« Reply #265 on: Mon, 01 December 2014, 18:20:43 »
Forgot to mention there are many Kendama sales this weekend. Today is basically the last day. New KendamaUSA promodels are out and a new Kaizen line is out as well.
NOOOOOOOO WHY WOULD YOU TELL ME THIS!!! I just dropped 70$ on kendamas. I can't spend more money!
But on the bright side, I got these two guys (1 2). And I got this guy for free for cyber monday.

Offline Lingj

« Reply #266 on: Mon, 01 December 2014, 18:49:08 »
NOOOOOOOO WHY WOULD YOU TELL ME THIS!!! I just dropped 70$ on kendamas. I can't spend more money!
But on the bright side, I got these two guys (1 2). And I got this guy for free for cyber monday.

Good choices, the pills are pretty fun to play. Simpler concept but you can hone your consistency. The new exotic woods just came out too..

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #267 on: Tue, 27 January 2015, 12:06:39 »
So, I was browsing in Target the other day, looking for something for my son's birthday, when I saw this. I decided the Kendama gods had finally spoken to me, so I bought it.

Forgive my plebian Kendama, please...
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #268 on: Tue, 27 January 2015, 12:08:26 »
So, I was browsing in Target the other day, looking for something for my son's birthday, when I saw this. I decided the Kendama gods had finally spoken to me, so I bought it.

Show Image

Oh I saw those before! They seemed pretty nice :). So is that for your son or you? :))

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #269 on: Tue, 27 January 2015, 12:20:55 »

Show Image

Oh I saw those before! They seemed pretty nice :). So is that for your son or you? :))

Well, it's for me, but he thinks it's for him haha.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #270 on: Tue, 27 January 2015, 12:27:58 »

Well, it's for me, but he thinks it's for him haha.

:)) :)) :))

Silly son, toys are for dad!

Offline Lingj

« Reply #271 on: Wed, 04 February 2015, 21:13:21 »
Hellooo, How are you guys doing?  :)

Offline Vibex

• Love y'all
« Reply #272 on: Wed, 04 February 2015, 21:21:15 »
Hey Lingj! ;D ;D
This thread needed a bump. I've been practicing a lot recently. I'm still terrible, but it's just so much fun. :p

Offline Lingj

« Reply #273 on: Wed, 04 February 2015, 21:28:05 »
Hey Lingj! ;D ;D
This thread needed a bump. I've been practicing a lot recently. I'm still terrible, but it's just so much fun. :p

Definitely needs a bump. Good to hear! If you really want to start progressing try learning a new trick every time you pick it up. Do you have any tricks you're having trouble with? I could give you some tips on them. Recently I've been meeting up twice a week with a couple people at my uni to play kendama which has been a lot of fun. Playing with people definitely makes you learn faster.

Offline Vibex

• Love y'all
« Reply #274 on: Wed, 04 February 2015, 22:23:08 »
Hey Lingj! ;D ;D

Definitely needs a bump. Good to hear! If you really want to start progressing try learning a new trick every time you pick it up. Do you have any tricks you're having trouble with? I could give you some tips on them. Recently I've been meeting up twice a week with a couple people at my uni to play kendama which has been a lot of fun. Playing with people definitely makes you learn faster.
I'm still just trying to master getting the tama on the spike from other cups. I can consistently get it from just hanging and I can airplane, but I have a ton of trouble getting it from elsewhere.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #275 on: Thu, 05 February 2015, 09:21:08 »

Every time I go on Instagram I'm reminded of how much you've progressed since last summer.   :-[   I hope to someday be that comfortable with kendama. 

I'm playing intermittently when I have a chance, maybe 2-3 times a week in short spurts.  :P  Slowly getting better, but I've got a long way to go!

Also, we need to get billnye in here; I got him a kendama for xmas but haven't seen him use it...   :rolleyes: :-* :-* :-*

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #276 on: Sun, 08 February 2015, 15:13:19 »
Ok I just watched a few videos and want to try this, anyone have an old one they'll sell or could I be directed to a cheap one?
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done

Offline Vibex

• Love y'all
« Reply #277 on: Sun, 08 February 2015, 16:41:02 »
Ok I just watched a few videos and want to try this, anyone have an old one they'll sell or could I be directed to a cheap one?
Here are the most basic (but still good quality) ones you will find.

Offline Lingj

« Reply #278 on: Sun, 08 February 2015, 17:11:01 »
I have one. I'll find out which one when I get home

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #279 on: Sun, 08 February 2015, 20:29:02 »
I have one. I'll find out which one when I get home

Cool, thanks!
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #280 on: Wed, 18 February 2015, 13:48:13 »
Got my first Kendama today, this is way harder than I thought it'd be. But still really fun.  :)

Offline Sygaldry

• Edema Ruh
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • All the truth in the world is held in stories.
« Reply #281 on: Wed, 18 February 2015, 14:03:27 »
So um... hey guys!

I used to kendama (it's played in Taiwan as well and my cousins brought one over to the States for me when I was in 5th grade or something. I've played around with it until I lost it somewhere overseas - probably while backpacking through Thailand during college).

Anyway, I'm not sure if this is the right thread but... I recently have become intrigued by something somewhat similar to the kendama (at least I think it's somewhat similar):

Does anyone asalato?
(also called Aslatua and Patica)

http://learnasalato.com/
« Last Edit: Wed, 18 February 2015, 14:50:53 by Sygaldry »
null

Offline Vibex

• Love y'all
« Reply #282 on: Wed, 18 February 2015, 14:34:18 »
So um... hey guys!

I used to kendama (it's played in Taiwan as well and my cousins brought one over to the States for me when I was in 5th grade or something. I've played around with it until I lost it somewhere overseas - probably while backpacking through Thailand during college).

Anyway, I'm not sure if this is the right thread but... I recently have become intrigued by something somewhat similar to the kendama (at least I think it's somewhat similar):

Does anyone asalato?

Looks really cool. Gonna pick one up to try it out.

Offline Sygaldry

• Edema Ruh
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • All the truth in the world is held in stories.
« Reply #283 on: Wed, 18 February 2015, 14:54:13 »
So um... hey guys!

Does anyone asalato?

Here are the ones I have =]
http://www.danmoi.com/kengoma-hemp-patica-thelevi-asalato-hemp-compound-twin-ball-rattle-japan.html
null

Offline Vibex

• Love y'all
« Reply #284 on: Wed, 18 February 2015, 17:43:19 »
So um... hey guys!

Does anyone asalato?

Here are the ones I have =]
http://www.danmoi.com/kengoma-hemp-patica-thelevi-asalato-hemp-compound-twin-ball-rattle-japan.html
They look nicer then the ones I saw on amazon, thanks.

Offline slickmamba

« Reply #285 on: Wed, 18 February 2015, 17:49:31 »
Someone teach me how to best my students at ken!
Hi :)

Offline Lingj

« Reply #286 on: Thu, 19 February 2015, 17:46:39 »
Got my first Kendama today, this is way harder than I thought it'd be. But still really fun.  :)

Glad it arrived. I forgot if I packed it but was there a pamphlet with instructions and stickers inside that package? I think I might have forgot to put it inside.. Also the Kendama was stringed lefty, if you're right-handed you can restring it.

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #287 on: Thu, 19 February 2015, 17:48:39 »

Glad it arrived. I forgot if I packed it but was there a pamphlet with instructions and stickers inside that package? I think I might have forgot to put it inside.. Also the Kendama was stringed lefty, if you're right-handed you can restring it.

You packed it, also I didn't realize that there was a difference. I'll restring it and see if it gets easier.  :thumb:

Offline Lingj

« Reply #288 on: Sun, 05 June 2016, 13:13:18 »
Bump. More people should know about this  ;)

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #289 on: Sun, 05 June 2016, 14:48:53 »
Bump. More people should know about this  ;)

Preach

Good to see you back around Lingj :)