Author Topic: What prompted your interest in ergonomics?  (Read 8597 times)

Offline Stupidface

• Looks like I picked the wrong week to joinGeekhack
What prompted your interest in ergonomics?
« on: Wed, 13 October 2021, 17:13:21 »
Did you learn about ergonomics the hard way (e.g. wrist pain)?  Or did you have ergonomics inculcated into you from an early age, making such considerations second nature?

Offline kajahtaa

Re: What prompted your interest in ergonomics?
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 13 October 2021, 20:44:06 »
don't know anything about ergonomics but thought the iris looked cool and long term found the Kyria. If I get an em8 spot I'll be done joining GB.

Offline Lanrefni

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 13 October 2021, 23:57:30 »
The hard way,I had to get carpal tunnel surgery on both wrists, so a split board is the only way I can type with out having my wrists feel like I've had them dipped in fire. :/

Offline vvp

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 14 October 2021, 02:36:23 »
Easy way. I have seen Kinesis Advantage and it was obvious to me that it is more comfortable. So I went for more comfort.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 14 October 2021, 05:18:59 »
Finger pain. Not experienced it with mechanical keyboards, but I have experienced it from using Topre.

Offline nevin

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 14 October 2021, 05:23:51 »
started looking for better options after 20+ years of using normal peripherals. also started getting the telltale pains. no surgery yet.
- i liked the smaller/compact keyboard that came with the original bondi imac (when my eye's were opened to other keyboard size/shape possibilities)
- ended up getting a 60% and put the mouse between the keyboard and a separate numberpad
- dug a little deeper, lots of research, and ended up with the keeb.io viterbi i have now.
- now, you couldn't pay me to go back to a one piece keyboard or a staggered keyboard. wide hand separation makes all the difference.

love the look of all the small ergo boards and wish i could go smaller but they are just not practical for my use case. there are not many choices in larger split otrhos (70ish keys).
Keeb.io Viterbi, Apple m0110, Apple m0120, Apple m0110a, Apple 658-4081, Apple M1242, Apple AEK II, MK96, GH60/Pure, Cherry g84-4100, Adesso AKP-220B, Magicforce 68

Offline Lanrefni

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 14 October 2021, 05:59:11 »
started looking for better options after 20+ years of using normal peripherals. also started getting the telltale pains. no surgery yet.
- i liked the smaller/compact keyboard that came with the original bondi imac (when my eye's were opened to other keyboard size/shape possibilities)
- ended up getting a 60% and put the mouse between the keyboard and a separate numberpad
- dug a little deeper, lots of research, and ended up with the keeb.io viterbi i have now.
- now, you couldn't pay me to go back to a one piece keyboard or a staggered keyboard. wide hand separation makes all the difference.

love the look of all the small ergo boards and wish i could go smaller but they are just not practical for my use case. there are not many choices in larger split otrhos (70ish keys).

My board is a keeb.io BFO-9000 because I wanted all the keys,not having much in the way of layers makes typing on it a lot easier.  :D

Offline nevin

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 14 October 2021, 06:05:45 »
i do more shortcuts than actual typing during the day (except for my blabbering here), so burying even more keys in layers for a smaller form factor really isn't an option for me. some shortcut combinations are all ready 3 or 4 keys.

...i can't say enough good things about keeb.io
« Last Edit: Thu, 14 October 2021, 06:07:35 by nevin »
Keeb.io Viterbi, Apple m0110, Apple m0120, Apple m0110a, Apple 658-4081, Apple M1242, Apple AEK II, MK96, GH60/Pure, Cherry g84-4100, Adesso AKP-220B, Magicforce 68

Offline iaji

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 14 October 2021, 19:00:03 »
started my employment in computer field. sometimes my right wrist flare up after typing a bit longer. I thought it was caused by my injury which I got in high school. by some coincidences, I found out atreus. used that for.a while, right wrist feels better. searched for something nicer and more comfortable (and some ****post in between), put https://dactyl.siskam.link online.

Offline willem-jan

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 18 October 2021, 03:38:02 »
For me it was hand and finger fatigue. Since I could not find a layout/design that I found ergonomic enough for my finger placement I have designed my own keyboard with these key ergonomic features:

- split keyboard design
- 58 keys, 4+1 thumb keys
- aggressive column stagger, fitting medium to large hands (3 design iterations needed to find the perfect layout)
- 18mm distance between rows instead of 19.05mm
- low keyboard height (single PCB/no casing, Kailh choc low profile switches and keycaps) to eliminate the need for wrist pad/raisers
- tactile switches, 57 grams
- QMK layers + tap dance etc
- Colemak-dh key mapping

Offline fortissim2

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 09 November 2021, 17:04:28 »
My first attempt to make typing more ergonomic was to use a different keyboard layout (Colemak)!
Originally started off as a school assignment, but now I can type 170wpm with it (and 130ish on quotes).

Also discovered split keyboards at my dad's workplace and now I really want one myself!! Idk if I should really get one though :p

Offline nevin

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 09 November 2021, 17:27:01 »
@fortissim2
there are lots of great inexpensive split ergo kits. look around, find one you like & give it a try. i'm sure you'll like the split aspect of it and will make it tough to go back to a one piece board.

Offline fortissim2

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 09 November 2021, 17:52:21 »
@fortissim2
there are lots of great inexpensive split ergo kits. look around, find one you like & give it a try. i'm sure you'll like the split aspect of it and will make it tough to go back to a one piece board.

I have tried them before and I like them, I just couldn't find one that looked sharp with my desk setup.
I used to have the MD770 (which I modded w/ lube, spraypaint and some other stuff and gave it to a friend for something I should not say here), can't get my hands on another one since then :(
(also I don't feel like building one lol)

Offline OhKeycaps

• OhKeycaps
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 21 December 2021, 01:14:33 »
Pain on the outside of my left hand from doing too many hand contortions to do shortcuts like ctrl + shift + alt + <whatever>. The microsoft split KB wasn't enough. Switchted to KA2. Then I wanted QMK, so I switched to an ergodox.