Author Topic: New to mech keyboards.  (Read 1945 times)

Offline Jaggar

New to mech keyboards.
« on: Wed, 11 December 2013, 18:55:35 »
Hey GH

I am a life long user of membrane style keyboards and have always wanted a mech. I primarily use my PC for gaming so I have always desired the legendary feel and faster reaction time of the cherry mx switch but the fact I have never physically experienced the feel of a mech switch has deterred me from buying one on the internet and being disappointed in a specific switch...

WELL I just bought a MAX keyboard sampler kit from deep in the amazon and I am fairly convinced I will be joining the mechanical keyboard community very soon. Still not sure which switch but leaning toward the red/brown after fondling the sampler kit. For style, I think I prefer the look of the DK9008 series. I am somewhat sad I missed the YOTS batch however...

Offline Ghetto Caps

• i make ghetto caps.
Re: New to mech keyboards.
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 11 December 2013, 23:14:33 »
Welcome. YOU MUST GET A HHKB

Visit the Typing Test and try![/sigpic]

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 11 December 2013, 23:15:26 »
You can still find YOTS from retail stores

Welcome to GeekHack!

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 12 December 2013, 01:47:14 »
Welcome! I suggest Reds for gaming.  :cool:

Offline Jaggar

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 12 December 2013, 17:39:25 »
Welcome. YOU MUST GET A HHKB
Thanks for the welcome, however I am not sure I can change my keyboard layout that dramatically this early on in my adventure in mech keyboard land. I am still debating on whether or not I want to attempt a TKL so a HHKB will have to cross my path at a later time.

You can still find YOTS from retail stores

Welcome to GeekHack!
I appreciate the welcome.
Assuming you mean like a B&M store, I would have no idea which local retailer would have one, especially in WA state. I haven't been able to find a list of who carries them. They are nigh impossible to find any online this side of the Atlantic. Besides, the actual aluminum material isn't what attracted me to the YOTS, it was the color scheme. If I practice and do my research I may end up painting a black KB body to a color of my choice and have it look even sexier than a YOTS.

Welcome! I suggest Reds for gaming.  :cool:
Much thanks for the welcome as always  :),

I was thinking that as well because pressing the same key repetitively would stand to have an advantage when "floating" a keypress with a linear switch. Then again having the brown switch would let me know earlier when a key is pressed instead of bottoming out, and might be useful in games which require lots of micro such as SC2 or LoL. At least in theory... I plan to make a trip here to a local store that has some mech keyboards on display and get the feel of a full keyboard utilizing all mechanical switches.

Offline eth0s

• Peace & Love
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 12 December 2013, 18:08:58 »
Welcome to GH.  Get MX red for gaming.  Good fast action.
I ♥ Click Clack.  I ♥♥♥ Bro Caps.

Offline Jaggar

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 13 December 2013, 13:54:28 »

Just got back from the local retailer and tried a few keyboards. I think I will indeed be going with the reds.  Also on a side note, they had a keyboard with utilizing the MX blues on display and omg that thing was amazing to type on. One key on a sampler kit does not do justice to the experience of a switch when compared to actually using a keyboard.

I think I still want a ducky, the shine III is very appealing to me. I was thinking I might get a white LED back light and perhaps paint the chassis a kind of like an aluminum color to mimic the color scheme of a YOTS. Plus it would match my white CM storm Stryker case... but I saw that purple/pink backlight on the shine III and I want... My roccat XTD is already set at that color.

Offline eth0s

• Peace & Love
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 13 December 2013, 15:11:53 »

Just got back from the local retailer and tried a few keyboards. I think I will indeed be going with the reds.  Also on a side note, they had a keyboard with utilizing the MX blues on display and omg that thing was amazing to type on. One key on a sampler kit does not do justice to the experience of a switch when compared to actually using a keyboard.

I think I still want a ducky, the shine III is very appealing to me. I was thinking I might get a white LED back light and perhaps paint the chassis a kind of like an aluminum color to mimic the color scheme of a YOTS. Plus it would match my white CM storm Stryker case... but I saw that purple/pink backlight on the shine III and I want... My roccat XTD is already set at that color.

Well, if you like the MX Blues, maybe you should get that one.  Blues are good for gaming too.  You get a tactile bump to let you know the key has actuated.  You get the click too, but you can hardly hear the Click if you wear headphones.  Also the click can be loud and annoying for anybody in the room with you. 
I ♥ Click Clack.  I ♥♥♥ Bro Caps.