Author Topic: [IC] The Banana Split 60 - Group Buy Launching June 1st!  (Read 183191 times)

Offline SNReloaded

Re: [IC] The Banana Split 60 - Keyset Google Form and PCB Prototypes soon!
« Reply #650 on: Fri, 12 May 2017, 23:31:20 »
aww bummer. guess the 1u stays. is that a usual layout among split spacebar? what are you guys planning to use the 1u between the spacebar for?

I plan to use the left space as my backspace and the middle 1u key as a delete key

Offline mnmlisme

« Reply #651 on: Sat, 13 May 2017, 10:11:14 »
tried left bar as backspace with my vortex core but it doesnt feel natural to me. to me back space at top right is still the fastest to access. guess i'll take a pass this time.
XD60 (gat.black) | SABER68 (gat.blue) | VORTEX Core (cherry blue) | YD40 (gatistotle)

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan
« Reply #652 on: Sat, 13 May 2017, 12:22:58 »
tried left bar as backspace with my vortex core but it doesnt feel natural to me. to me back space at top right is still the fastest to access. guess i'll take a pass this time.

It's programmable so you don't have to use the split spacebars as a backspace and space. You can program them to whatever you want. The 2.75u  on the right feels really natural with a supporting 2.25u on the left for anything else.

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan
« Reply #653 on: Sat, 13 May 2017, 13:57:30 »
XDA might be my new favorite profile, BananaSplit prototype with pcb mounted yellows, XDA Milestone Middle-Earth, HHKB backspace, 2.75/2.25 split and arrow keys.

Offline SNReloaded

« Reply #654 on: Sat, 13 May 2017, 13:59:36 »
XDA might be my new favorite profile, BananaSplit prototype with pcb mounted yellows, XDA Milestone Middle-Earth, HHKB backspace, 2.75/2.25 split and arrow keys.

Show Image

I am a huge fan of the XDA profile myself. It looks excellent.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Offline qn0x

« Reply #655 on: Sat, 13 May 2017, 14:02:41 »

Show Image

Looks great! Can't wait for the GB.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Offline qn0x

« Reply #656 on: Sat, 13 May 2017, 14:02:52 »

Show Image

Looks great! Can't wait for the GB.

Offline mnmlisme

« Reply #657 on: Mon, 15 May 2017, 01:11:05 »

It's programmable so you don't have to use the split spacebars as a backspace and space. You can program them to whatever you want. The 2.75u  on the right feels really natural with a supporting 2.25u on the left for anything else.
oh yeah, I know, I'm just saying I'm yet to get used of having a separate left space bar, add another 1u button in the middle and I'm sure slip ons will happen. that's just me though. totally personal preference. If only the banana split support the split spacebar layout without the 1u in the middle, I'm totally in. Is banana split the first 60% with split space bar?
XD60 (gat.black) | SABER68 (gat.blue) | VORTEX Core (cherry blue) | YD40 (gatistotle)

Offline PotatoTM

« Reply #658 on: Wed, 17 May 2017, 00:40:44 »
Excited for this group buy, I've been looking for a starter's split keyboard and this seems perfect!

Offline stand.geek

« Reply #659 on: Wed, 17 May 2017, 00:54:38 »

oh yeah, I know, I'm just saying I'm yet to get used of having a separate left space bar, add another 1u button in the middle and I'm sure slip ons will happen. that's just me though. totally personal preference. If only the banana split support the split spacebar layout without the 1u in the middle, I'm totally in. Is banana split the first 60% with split space bar?

mnmlisme, found you here. I'm the one that make you buy vortex core. lol

btw, there is another split spacebar 60%, but the GB already over. It's YAS62 https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=87511.0
The downside with YAS is there is a blocker in bottom left and right. So I definitely go with this one.

for the 1.25u button in the middle, you can turn it off to do nothing if you don't want it there.

Offline mnmlisme

« Reply #660 on: Wed, 17 May 2017, 01:17:07 »

mnmlisme, found you here. I'm the one that make you buy vortex core. lol

btw, there is another split spacebar 60%, but the GB already over. It's YAS62 https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=87511.0
The downside with YAS is there is a blocker in bottom left and right. So I definitely go with this one.

for the 1.25u button in the middle, you can turn it off to do nothing if you don't want it there.
uh oh I've been caught lol not function either man, more of aesthetic preference. I even sold my POK3R just because I found a nicer keyboard with aligned, all 1u sized arrow buttons. I'm picky that way haha.

Would love a 60% with a split bar, but the 1u in the middle is a turn off for me.

I don't hate Banana 60%, it's a great looking kb. Just me being picky. Maybe there will be others.

Are you picking this one up?

Sent from my MI MAX using Tapatalk

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #661 on: Wed, 17 May 2017, 01:29:44 »
the middle is 1.25u! 

I'm buying this for gaming.  Three keys for my thumb instead of one.
keyboards.

Offline ThatsFineThatOne

« Reply #662 on: Wed, 17 May 2017, 04:28:20 »
I'm looking forward to this group buy. Any ETA on the GB opening?

Offline mrbishop

• * Maker
  • Evil Genius
    • Bishop Computer Design web
« Reply #663 on: Wed, 17 May 2017, 08:40:43 »
let me know when the Alps supported version is out  :thumb:
Projects
Build to give back, 40% | Alps/Matias Removal ToolUltraHack 67% Hackdura  | ErgoDox case

Offline 8megabit

« Reply #664 on: Fri, 19 May 2017, 05:14:11 »
Any updates? Just received some stuff I'm gonna use with the build and I neeeeeeeeed this GB to happen soon!  :)

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan
« Reply #665 on: Fri, 19 May 2017, 10:20:04 »
Any updates? Just received some stuff I'm gonna use with the build and I neeeeeeeeed this GB to happen soon!  :)

Not yet, currently waiting on some case prototypes and keycap prototypes. Also I have finals coming up next week so I've taken a small halt on the GB launch artwork. The ball should get rolling pretty soon.

Offline mnmlisme

« Reply #666 on: Thu, 25 May 2017, 03:30:51 »
shoot! fell in love with this kb in the end after all! re-watched and looking forward to join the GB!

Offline Auk

« Reply #667 on: Thu, 25 May 2017, 05:19:20 »

I know it's probably not top priority of the desired features for those that don't play games, but do these community built projects generally include support for high polling rates and low latency input?  The Deskthority wiki page for Easy AVR lists 1000hz polling rate under features and also lists ATmega32U4 amongst the supported hardware.

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan
« Reply #668 on: Thu, 25 May 2017, 12:18:18 »

I know it's probably not top priority of the desired features for those that don't play games, but do these community built projects generally include support for high polling rates and low latency input?  The Deskthority wiki page for Easy AVR lists 1000hz polling rate under features and also lists ATmega32U4 amongst the supported hardware.

I'll ask evan if this is just a standard feature of an atmega 32u4 then it's probably supported. But I'll double check

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan
« Reply #669 on: Thu, 25 May 2017, 12:20:27 »

Hey everyone after 8 months of working on this keyboard project. Me and /u/evangs are finally ready to launch the groupbuy! Thanks for everyone who have showed their unrelenting support, it means a lot.

For anyone who hasn’t been following, The BananaSplit 60 is a collobaration between me and /u/evangs to provide the most versatile 60% keyboard without losing features. The main features are, 2 different styles of split-spacebar support, arrow key support, and other varying things like support for standard ANSI, ISO, HHKB style backspaces and stepped caps lock. The kits will come with the PCB itself, genuine cherry stabilizers and steel plates. To read more of the features go ahead and read through the first post on the geekhack page.

The groupbuy will contain three options:

-- The base kit will include: The PCB, Universal Stainless Steel Plate and Genuine Cherry Stabilizers (The stabilizer pack will include one 6.25u stabilizers and six 2u stabilizers).

-- The barebones kit will include: The PCB, and Genuine Cherry Stabilizers.

-- And finally we will offer just the PCB as an option.

Currently we are still fleshing out the price, but the price for the base kit will be $100.

Feel free to ask any questions I’ll be more than happy to answer them :D.

Offline waqar

Re: [IC] The Banana Split 60 - Group Buy Launching June 1st!
« Reply #670 on: Thu, 25 May 2017, 13:30:24 »
What happened to the awesome case? Is there going to be an option to buy it?

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #671 on: Thu, 25 May 2017, 13:46:21 »
What is driving the price to $100 and does that include shipping. Is it due to all US manufacturing or something. Just kind of expected maybe closer to 75.
keyboards.

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan
« Reply #672 on: Thu, 25 May 2017, 13:52:49 »
What happened to the awesome case? Is there going to be an option to buy it?

The retro case is still being made, evan just realized it'll take longer than he had expected.

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan
« Reply #673 on: Thu, 25 May 2017, 13:56:43 »
Also forgot to mention the groupbuy will go on until the 19th with an expected 1 month lead time.

Offline ChitownM2

« Reply #674 on: Thu, 25 May 2017, 17:23:36 »
Is there a conspiracy out there to make sure that all the keyboard related things I want all happen in the same 30 days?

We had dev/tty, oblivion, yuri, lightsaver, k-type. SA Carbon and now this? Ugh. Seriously can't afford all of this....

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan
« Reply #675 on: Thu, 25 May 2017, 17:33:17 »
Is there a conspiracy out there to make sure that all the keyboard related things I want all happen in the same 30 days?

We had dev/tty, oblivion, yuri, lightsaver, k-type. SA Carbon and now this? Ugh. Seriously can't afford all of this....

We'll have extras available.

Offline Str1pez

« Reply #676 on: Thu, 25 May 2017, 17:54:24 »
SO HYPED!

For now it's gonna be rocking GMK Plum but once Miami Dolch comes in I'm throwing that on it.

Offline mike873

Is this layout supported by the final version?

I came up with a new design for people who want to have an arrow key cluster but still maintain a pretty natural shift position. Tell me what you guys think, if you really like it I will include it to our top 3.
Show Image

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan

I came up with a new design for people who want to have an arrow key cluster but still maintain a pretty natural shift position. Tell me what you guys think, if you really like it I will include it to our top 3.
Show Image

No that is long gone, the one currently supported is the one on the first post.

Offline SNReloaded

« Reply #679 on: Thu, 25 May 2017, 20:42:50 »

Show Image

These are the supported layouts

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Offline e_l_tang

« Reply #680 on: Thu, 25 May 2017, 22:53:05 »
Have you contacted GMK to see if they would be willing to make convex space bars for this keyboard? They're already making 1u and 2u space bars.

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #681 on: Thu, 25 May 2017, 23:11:58 »
They don't have 1.25u convex molds unfortunately. Would be an expensive proposition.
keyboards.

Offline e_l_tang

« Reply #682 on: Thu, 25 May 2017, 23:49:02 »
They don't have 1.25u convex molds unfortunately. Would be an expensive proposition.
They didn't charge anything for the ones they're making right now, and I don't think they'll charge for any in the future.

Offline ChitownM2

« Reply #683 on: Fri, 26 May 2017, 07:05:14 »
Quote from: tameone
They didn't charge anything for the[quote author=e_l_tang link=topic=84891.msg2430493#msg2430493 date=1495774142
They didn't charge anything for the ones they're making right now, and I don't think they'll charge for any in the future.

hey're making right now, and I don't think they'll charge for any in the future.

It's all based on demand. They saw sufficient demand for 1u & 2u that they decided to make the mold. My guess is that is not the case for 1.25u.

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #684 on: Fri, 26 May 2017, 08:14:59 »
2.25, 2.75 and 1.25u spacebars are becoming more popular with 40% boards and larger split space boards.  There's been a few GMK kits lately that offer 2.25 and 2.75 in a spacebar kit; however, they're just concave keys.  I can see GMK making a move at some point, but I think they'd need to see a lot more demand first like they have on the OLKB front.
keyboards.

Offline tinyprawn

« Reply #685 on: Fri, 26 May 2017, 09:27:50 »
2.25, 2.75 and 1.25u spacebars are becoming more popular with 40% boards and larger split space boards.  There's been a few GMK kits lately that offer 2.25 and 2.75 in a spacebar kit; however, they're just concave keys.  I can see GMK making a move at some point, but I think they'd need to see a lot more demand first like they have on the OLKB front.

They took about 6 months to build the 1u and 2u keys after they were convinced it would be worth the energy but the first 1u/2u convex keys are just now dropping for the first time.  I'd expect that demand will be demonstrated over the course of 2017's second half and they'll probably start building the 2.25/2.75 space keys in 2018 and then move on to 1.75 and 1.5 the following year...

If nobody steps up, I may run a drop for 2 spacebars in popular colors like N9, U9, CR, etc later this year (after Yuri ships and we know whether those keys came out right).

Offline Shiftshape

« Reply #686 on: Fri, 26 May 2017, 12:48:34 »

I know of this fell you are experiencing! Personally, my hype levels (and wallet) are off the chain right about now.

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan
« Reply #687 on: Fri, 26 May 2017, 13:06:38 »
Have you contacted GMK to see if they would be willing to make convex space bars for this keyboard? They're already making 1u and 2u space bars.

I have not but we are thinking of doing the keyset in xda and luckily they already have convex space bar molds for 2.25 and 2.75 keys.  :thumb:

Offline vim_commando

• LaserCTRL
« Reply #688 on: Fri, 26 May 2017, 13:43:12 »
I have not but we are thinking of doing the keyset in xda and luckily they already have convex space bar molds for 2.25 and 2.75 keys.  :thumb:

Ugh, don't tell me that. Here I thought I could get away with just the barebones kit!  :-\ :))

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan
« Reply #689 on: Fri, 26 May 2017, 13:49:25 »

Ugh, don't tell me that. Here I thought I could get away with just the barebones kit!  :-\ :))

Haha this won't be for a while and won't be included with the original release. So you have time ;)

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan
« Reply #690 on: Thu, 01 June 2017, 01:01:03 »
Groupbuy is live, thanks for everyone who participated and helped us with this project. Means a lot  :thumb:

Link to the gb, I'll make a gb post tomorrow.

https://thevankeyboards.com/

Offline 8megabit

« Reply #691 on: Thu, 01 June 2017, 02:07:51 »
Will my card get charged when I enter the GB or when the GB ends? My card is a bit strange so I have to "open" it for internet purchases, which can only be done 60 minutes at a time. So it would be more convenient if I'm charged directly when I enter.

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan
« Reply #692 on: Thu, 01 June 2017, 02:30:32 »
Will my card get charged when I enter the GB or when the GB ends? My card is a bit strange so I have to "open" it for internet purchases, which can only be done 60 minutes at a time. So it would be more convenient if I'm charged directly when I enter.

That's an evan question, I'll ask tomorrow morning :)

Offline ctrl

« Reply #693 on: Thu, 01 June 2017, 06:16:09 »
This layout has almost everything I want: split spacebar and Nordic ISO support. Now, if it only had RGB underglow too to fit my incoming XD60 case...

Feeling hesitant to join the GB. Kinda want it. Kinda want to wait and see what a future revision has in store.

Offline evangs

• * Maker
  • TheVan
« Reply #694 on: Thu, 01 June 2017, 06:51:52 »

You will be charged right away when you purchase.

Offline ChitownM2

« Reply #695 on: Thu, 01 June 2017, 06:54:42 »
Groupbuy is live, thanks for everyone who participated and helped us with this project. Means a lot  :thumb:

Link to the gb, I'll make a gb post tomorrow.

https://thevankeyboards.com/

Can you add the key sizes to the graphic on the GB page? A lot of them are obvious I guess, but what size is the right shift in the traditional arrow layout? 1.75?
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 June 2017, 07:03:39 by ChitownM2 »

Offline nao

• NAO
« Reply #696 on: Thu, 01 June 2017, 07:19:35 »
Feeling hesitant to join the GB. Kinda want it. Kinda want to wait and see what a future revision has in store.

I'm looking forward to case and keycaps, too.

Offline donut_sauce

« Reply #697 on: Thu, 01 June 2017, 09:01:44 »
Can anyone recommend a case for this that's similar to an HHKB style? i.e. higher profile, incline, plastic. Curious what everyone's planning on using for their case

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #698 on: Thu, 01 June 2017, 09:18:46 »
Yay finally! I went in on the massdrop xd60 just for that sweet case, and I'm building with lubed silent MX blacks. Going to be a gaming board with extra thumb buttons (split space)
keyboards.

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #699 on: Thu, 01 June 2017, 09:51:12 »
Anyone interested in a case, Sentraq has some in stock.  I'm assuming these will work evangs?

https://sentraq.com/collections/frontpage/products/60-acrylic-case

https://sentraq.com/collections/frontpage/products/60-aluminum-milled-case