Author Topic: Many years with high end mice, 4 years high end thumb ball, back to mice sadly  (Read 9200 times)

Offline typo

So I spent years using high end gaming mice. The issue is of course they caused RSI. So I finally go to the best Thumb ball I can find. An Elecom G-Pro LE. No more pain at all. The problem is the thing simply lacks the type of precision that I was always used to. I had tried others. Slimblade Mouse-Trak, Space-Mouse ETC. All fatigue free but simply lack the accuracy for stuff such as CAD and Photoshop. So I tried a RBT mouse. Great ergonomics but hardware from Windows 3.1 day's. I already have pretty much every current high end gaming mouse. The gaming mice tend to be the ones with the cutting edge hardware and best ergonomics. I revisited all of them. As usual, my old standby tends to be the Logitech G502. Mainly for the form factor. The way it fits my hand. Right of course. Do not let it fool you. It is in fact for medium to smaller hands. Now it has up to 25,600 DPI. It currently often sells as low as $25. Median $39. So I started using it. Almost instantly there is some pain. However the accuracy has been improved even further. I wonder if this is in fact interpolated since it is via a firmware update. You can do the same thing in Windows if that is to be the case. I do not know if it is true hardware based. I am torn now. Which outweighs the other for me. I cannot be as productive as I need to be with a trackball. The mice cause me at least some discomfort if not pain. It is a tough call. I thought I had the best wrist rest for myself. Bean bag type. Perhaps I need to explore that further.

On a final note, there is the new Razer Viper 8K. No current quality display has a high enough refresh rate to take advantage of it. It is not built very well. I prefer stuff from Logitech. YMMV. Although I find the new Logitech Super Light grossly overpriced unless you are a professional FPS player. There is now the wireless G502 to look at. I personally prefer wired.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
Trackballs don't do dual purpose very well, you can have precision or you can have high speed.
It's kind of the nature of the beast, there's simply not enough range of motion in the ball surface or your fingers to do both. With a mouse you have fingers, wrist and elbow to draw movement and precision from.

I use a finger grip and rather high DPI settings to avoid RSI issues, 8k or so for dual 1440p, I would probably use around 14k on dual 4k screens and it varies a bit depending on the mouse pad I'm using and the OS (I tune so it feels consistent across each if/when I change). My wrist and elbow pretty much don't move at all when mousing, it's almost entirely fingers and offers a greater range of motion than a trackball allowing for high speed and just enough precision.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline el_murdoque

What about ergonomic mice?
The Logitech vertical mouse could relieve stress from your hand.
I've used a mouse that was held like a pen for a while back in 2005. I liked it a lot, but while the ergonomics were close to perfection, the hardware was not. The optical sensor did not work on shiny surfaces (it was really picky) and the cable was sub par (it broke about 9 months after purchase). I can't remember the name, though.

Offline Findecanor

I've used a mouse that was held like a pen for a while back in 2005. I liked it a lot, but while the ergonomics were close to perfection, the hardware was not. The optical sensor did not work on shiny surfaces (it was really picky) and the cable was sub par (it broke about 9 months after purchase). I can't remember the name, though.
Was it WowPen perhaps? AFAIK, they made two models: WowPen Joy which is semi-vertical and one that was more like a very thick pen.
The WowPen Joy is probably still manufactured. It can be found as a noname or rebranded mouse for very cheap.

The only other mouse I know that has a pen-grip is the PenClic series, which are really like a pen. While the WowPen Joy is my favourite, the PenClic is far from it.
The WowPen is also relatively light: at round 80 g, while wireless mice with batteries (such as the Logitech MX Vertical) make them >130g, which is not very ergonomic in my view.

Offline typo

Well, this is highly ironic. My choice was just made for me. More or less. Not one of 7 Trackballs will register in Device Manager. All of the sudden. I need to reinstall Windows. Mice working fine. I figured out like Leslie before even reading that. 3x4K displays@20K DPI. Plus a good support to my liking. I feel it beats a Trackball hands down. I will see if I get pain down the road. I am just moving my fingers though. The difference in precision of a top gaming mouse is astounding.