Author Topic: The Cheap Spring  (Read 5734 times)

Offline NewbieOneKenobi

The Cheap Spring
« on: Wed, 13 October 2010, 22:24:54 »

Lawyers from Poland > engineers from Japan.
« Last Edit: Wed, 13 October 2010, 22:39:52 by NewbieOneKenobi »

Offline Rajagra

The Cheap Spring
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 14 October 2010, 03:48:48 »
Nice key removal tool. Does that make this a swashbuckling spring keyboard?

Offline NewbieOneKenobi

The Cheap Spring
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 14 October 2010, 06:30:15 »
Thanks. :) It seems you've just provided it with a name for when I've "fixed" all 105 keys. :) I'll be getting some springs soon. Will try something thicker and shorter than an IBM spring, if possible. There's also still the dental floss idea. A more complicated solution could be to try and provide every spring and dome with a makeshift hammer (or at least a foot for the spring)...

Offline SmallWalrus

The Cheap Spring
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 14 October 2010, 07:55:49 »
You just made a Topre :)

The Ducky keyboard community mass order thread
Get one set of keycaps free for a limited time only! :)

Offline NewbieOneKenobi

The Cheap Spring
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 14 October 2010, 09:12:08 »
Yeah. :) I noticed it was like the reverse capacitive switch. :D Now I only need a set of 105 springs. I've already put up an ad in the classifieds for a dead buckling spring keyboard or set of springs (offering a new in box good scissors piece, better than the Logitech UltraX Flat thing, for a dead F/M/whatever or full set of undamaged springs).

Offline NewbieOneKenobi

The Cheap Spring
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 14 October 2010, 14:42:42 »
The funny thing is it takes like 1-2 mm travel before a key gets registered and like no force (although bottoming out would be quite an exercise). The problem with different feels might occur because not all of the keys can hold a spring lodged like in the picture but this doesn't seem to affect much in terms of feel. Another problem is whether the board will be typable in practical terms because of the minimal force required and the lack of any feedback.

Offline NewbieOneKenobi

The Cheap Spring
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 14 October 2010, 14:46:44 »
There is a reason why physics is normally expressed with equations and not everyday language. :P

Brandon from Clicky Keyboards was kind enough to provide the springs for the project. As soon as they arrive, I can get started.

If it works out well on the SK-8820 (which is a bit of a different architecture than some modern rubber domes, I think), I could try it on this one ($7):

http://allegro.pl/super-dzielona-klawiatura-rok-gwarancji-cz-wa-i1253407053.html
« Last Edit: Thu, 14 October 2010, 15:34:23 by NewbieOneKenobi »

Offline laden3

The Cheap Spring
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 16 October 2010, 16:53:21 »
What about conical springs? Is it possible to find them cheap?
I rrrove brrracks.

Offline NewbieOneKenobi

The Cheap Spring
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 16 October 2010, 18:17:10 »
I'm going to inquire about springs at a factory or two but the cost may be prohibitive. It could be funny to use conical springs. Or rectangular cross-section (like the key rod itself) to fill the rod, or to place in between the rubber dome and the rod (these would have to be very short springs). :)

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
The Cheap Spring
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 19 October 2010, 16:54:36 »
Good job. You've made a Fujitsu Peerless. If you examine the guts of a Topre keyboard, you'd find that you still have a long way to go...
« Last Edit: Tue, 19 October 2010, 16:57:23 by ch_123 »

Offline 8_INCH_FLOPPY

The Cheap Spring
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 14 November 2010, 19:17:51 »
Blasphemy!  A Fujitsu Peerless has a differently shaped dome as well as a reliable way of preventing the springs from moving around. The keyboard gods will punish you for this slight!
Notable Switches I have tried:
black cherry, blue cherry, brown cherry, clear cherry, cherry M84, white alps, black alps, cream alps, Monterey blue alps, Fujitsu Peerless, Gateway2000 rubber dome, Keytronic rubber dome, Model M buckling spring, Model F buckling spring, futaba, black space invader

================================================
HAPPY HUNTING
================================================