Author Topic: Misophonia  (Read 3630 times)

Offline i3oilermaker

• * Vendor
  • techkeys.us
    • TechKeys
Misophonia
« on: Tue, 11 March 2014, 09:42:17 »
Misophonia, literally "hatred of sound", is a neurological disorder in which negative experiences (anger, flight, hatred, disgust) are triggered by specific sounds.

My sister has this - it is primarily eating sounds (chewing, smacking, slurping), heavy breathing, and certain other triggers that are beyond our comprehension of unbearable.  In attempt to spread awareness, I am helping her sell rubber bracelets. 

I'm not looking for a favor or a purchase here, just trying to help spread her cause with the hope that more awareness may spur more research towards a treatment or cure.  If you know someone who has this, perhaps sending them this may help them feel they are not alone.

http://misophonia.yolasite.com/

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
Re: Misophonia
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 11 March 2014, 09:46:19 »
Thanks for sharing, I had never heard of this. (No pun intended.)

Offline Techno Trousers

• ʘ_ಠ
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 11 March 2014, 10:43:38 »
Sorry to hear your sister is struggling with this. I'd bet that most people have a minor form of this at least -- nails on a chalkboard, squeaky styrofoam, etc. It must really suck when commonly heard sounds trigger it for you though.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 11 March 2014, 16:08:19 »
I think I have something like this.  The sounds of pouring water from a kettle into a cup sometimes makes me want to hurl the kettle and cup through the nearest window.  Seriously.

I tell myself it will be over soon, or try to pour quietly.

I can only imagine what it must be like for someone more sensitive to a wider range of sounds.

As for nails on a chalkboard, all I hear ia a scratching sound.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline paicrai

• Actually a Jane Austen novel
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • mindblank
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 11 March 2014, 16:23:35 »
I'm sure I don't have it but certain types of voices make me want to ****ing kick the **** out of their entire body.
THE FEMINIST ILLUMINATI

I will literally **** you raw paicrai, I hope you're legal by the time I meet you.
👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀 good **** go౦ԁ ****👌 thats ✔ some good👌👌**** right👌👌th 👌 ere👌👌👌 right✔there ✔✔if i do ƽaү so my self 💯  i say so 💯  thats what im talking about right there right there (chorus: ʳᶦᵍʰᵗ ᵗʰᵉʳᵉ) mMMMMᎷМ💯 👌👌 👌НO0ОଠOOOOOОଠଠOoooᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒ👌 👌👌 👌 💯 👌 👀 👀 👀 👌👌Good ****

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
  • REEEeeeeEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeee
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 11 March 2014, 16:27:29 »

Offline histevenhere

• Student
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 11 March 2014, 19:27:39 »
Like when a professor uses chalk on a black board and it just screeches ? I really despise that sound.
HHKB PRO 2, DAS ULTIMATE, SIIG MINITOUCH, KBT PURE, IBM MODEL M, MICROSOFT COMFORT CURVE 2000, CHERRY G84-4100, TG3-TP, QUICKFIRE RAPID, REALFORCE 87u

Offline i3oilermaker

• * Vendor
  • techkeys.us
    • TechKeys
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 12 March 2014, 09:21:02 »
Its more like Rowdy said....there are noises that people find unpleasant, even irritating, but that is not the disease.  The disease is when you hear a noise and it triggers a flight or fight response where the rage that ensues can be difficult to contain or bear.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 12 March 2014, 09:31:19 »
Is it something that can be cured or treated? Like **** having something like Rowdy would probably kill me

Offline i3oilermaker

• * Vendor
  • techkeys.us
    • TechKeys
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 12 March 2014, 09:33:30 »
There are coping mechanisms and developmental treatments, but really no cure.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 12 March 2014, 16:08:11 »
That's why it's called a "syndrome" - because there is no known cure.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 13 March 2014, 05:59:59 »
I get it from ringing phones, high pitched computer fans and car alarms.

By about the third ring on a traditional house phone I start bouncing off of the walls, by the 5th, I'm ready to start breaking things, which is completely out of character for me. I usually have the patience of a nun.

It was a significant factor in deciding to quit the dot com I worked at, and why my computers are in the basement with me upstairs.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline meiosis

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Time
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 13 March 2014, 06:16:38 »
I get it from ringing phones, high pitched computer fans and car alarms.

By about the third ring on a traditional house phone I start bouncing off of the walls, by the 5th, I'm ready to start breaking things, which is completely out of character for me. I usually have the patience of a nun.

It was a significant factor in deciding to quit the dot com I worked at, and why my computers are in the basement with me upstairs.

Ahh during my first interview for med school I read of an interesting case, the situation regarding phones is actually one of the more common Misophonia Syndromes, neurologically it's adaptive behavior, usually caused by neurological change (fever, shock, seizure).  Apparently it's borderline OCD and part schizophrenia which correlates at a certain pitch or rhythm which triggers neuron receptors for fear/irrational behavior.

In that case, the man who had Misophonia after hearing an old 1980's phone ring would actually have black outs and seizures, really scary because at times he would for all intents and purposes be qualified under sleep walking.

It's interesting but currently I don't believe that the medical field is researching on situational syndromes (sadly) and more so throwing millions into HIV and Cancer research. I believe that a temporary solution is foam earpieces that block certain frequencies, but it must be annoying.. There are also hearing aids that tone out certain pitches or converts them to a more bearable frequency. I'll ask my professor later :).

--

The worst I get is the screeching on a chalkboard actually gives me goosebumps where my skin gets all bumpy =.= hate ittt
« Last Edit: Thu, 13 March 2014, 06:20:29 by Meiosis »
Keyboards:
Filco Majestouch 2 - Sakura Edition [MX Blue]
Filco Majestouch 2 - Lotus Edition [MX Brown]
Realforce 23ub - Modded with 55g Domes.
Aripeko TKL

Offline iri

« Reply #13 on: Thu, 13 March 2014, 07:11:40 »
I don't believe that the medical field is researching on situational syndromes (sadly) and more so throwing millions into HIV and Cancer research
never heard of someone dying from situational syndromes.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline mauri

« Reply #14 on: Fri, 14 March 2014, 04:03:20 »
I don't believe that the medical field is researching on situational syndromes (sadly) and more so throwing millions into HIV and Cancer research
never heard of someone dying from situational syndromes.

I heard a man once died from the sound that nails on a blackboard makes.
« Last Edit: Fri, 14 March 2014, 04:04:56 by mauri »
I AM BABAR KING OF THE ELEPHANTS

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 03 February 2017, 03:26:07 »
Found this today:

http://www.bbc.com/news/health-38842561

And the video version if that's more your thing (although they do play a lot of the triggering sounds, so if you're a sufferer it might be safer to just read the text version linked above):

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-38849776

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #16 on: Fri, 03 February 2017, 04:14:56 »
Tp4 gets nervous hearing the popo sound.. whirrrrll... // hit the deck..

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 03 February 2017, 07:37:42 »

nails on a chalkboard, squeaky styrofoam, etc

My wife has 2 of these: one is the sound of silverware on pans and plates, even the slightest scraping noise sets her off, and the other is dissonant (non)"music" particularly on the piano. For example, if someone walked up to a piano and simultaneously pressed several black keys at random, she would lose it. (My love of avant-garde classical and experimental music is completely alien to her, of course, and a theremin is her worst nightmare.)

My son, who is like her in many ways, has an aversion to squeaking styrofoam (apparently a common one) but I think that it is only emotional (aka "in his head") rather than the truly visceral reaction like the medical condition indicates.
"It turns out that for a decade, whenever Trump wanted to get a loan, or make a deal, he would inflate the value of his real estate. For instance, suggesting that his 11,000-square foot penthouse was a 30,000-square foot penthouse.
And the attorney general of New York knew that Trump's property values were inflated because when it came time to pay taxes, Trump undervalued the very same properties.
It was all part of a very sophisticated real estate practice known as “lying.”
- Jon Stewart 2024-03-28

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #18 on: Fri, 03 February 2017, 17:33:23 »
Tp4 gets nervous hearing the popo sound.. whirrrrll... // hit the deck..

LOLLL

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.