Author Topic: IBM 6113442 (Chinese) or 6112884 (Japanese) Alps T-mount $30 + shipping  (Read 31898 times)

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"

Offline miloica

Burn the Fat, Feed the Muscle: Transform Your Body Forever

Offline E TwentyNine

• Some of My Keyboards
Re: IBM 6113442 (Chinese) or 6112884 (Japanese) Alps T-mount $30 + shipping
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 11 September 2014, 11:14:20 »
These came up before and I got mine for $40 shipped from this seller.  This time it's new seller and about $20 more expensive.  They're cool little keyboards and fun to play around with.

He has shipping set to "Expedited" by default.  Check the shipping options and the normal price is much more reasonable.  $12-$14 in the US, so still under $44.  And for multiple boards he's only adding a few dollars shipping for each, so you can get two for under $80 - you could probably contact him to arrange one of each type for lower shipping as adding one of each to shopping cart doesn't apply the discount.
Daily driver: SSK or Tenkeyless IBM AT
1984 Model M Industrial Prototype ⌨ 1992 Black Oval Industrial SSK ⌨ 1982 5251 Beam Spring ⌨ 89 Key "SSK" ⌨ M13 triplets

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 11 September 2014, 11:46:30 »

He has shipping set to "Expedited" by default.  Check the shipping options and the normal price is much more reasonable.  $12-$14 in the US, so still under $44.  And for multiple boards he's only adding a few dollars shipping for each, so you can get two for under $80 - you could probably contact him to arrange one of each type for lower shipping as adding one of each to shopping cart doesn't apply the discount.

Thanks, I missed that.  Totally reasonable for a NIB board that's a cool piece of history.

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 11 September 2014, 11:57:03 »
I have two of these, love the switches. Didn't realize there was a way to get them working already. Woot!

Offline Signature

• master of puppers
  • snoozing
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 11 September 2014, 15:50:22 »
Too bad it´s 55$ shipping for swedes... :/
Very busy with studies atm.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 11 September 2014, 16:54:13 »
Really tempted to get these just for the caps to my M0110
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline False_Dmitry_II

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 12 September 2014, 01:35:48 »
I have two of these, love the switches. Didn't realize there was a way to get them working already. Woot!

That's just your standard handwiring. Or reusing the same matrix. Or cutting off one side of the matrix to add diodes (I've done this one it was terrible don't do it).
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin (11 Nov. 1755)

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 12 September 2014, 07:57:13 »

Consult Dorkvader;he has experience with these things. Basically wired up a teensy to the keyboard matrix.

Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 12 September 2014, 08:06:21 »
The Pingsaver!

Also, it's really cool to take something that is 30+ years old out of the box for the first time. :D
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline jevvix

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 12 September 2014, 08:14:21 »
These are getting dangerously close to my, "I don't need it, or really even want it, but for that cheap I'll buy it" price.

Offline berserkfan

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 12 September 2014, 09:01:16 »
The Pingsaver!

Also, it's really cool to take something that is 30+ years old out of the box for the first time. :D

OK, dunno if you have noticed, but there is a funny smell to old Model Fs. And it's not mothballs.

Anyway, this didn't have that funny smell. It had the Nice New Smell. Which I'm preserving by keeping it in storage, heh. My greatest disappointment was that because the keyboard controller and valuable-looking parts of the matrix was on the right side, you can't saw it down and create a Kishsaver easily. Although it is much lighter than Model Fs, the construction is also way too solid to cut down easily. Otherwise I was REALLY aching to turn it into Kishsaver + numpad.
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline E TwentyNine

• Some of My Keyboards
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 12 September 2014, 09:14:01 »
My greatest disappointment was that because the keyboard controller and valuable-looking parts of the matrix was on the right side, you can't saw it down and create a Kishsaver easily. Although it is much lighter than Model Fs, the construction is also way too solid to cut down easily. Otherwise I was REALLY aching to turn it into Kishsaver + numpad.

Dammit.  This was the only reason I was even considering this keyboard.
1984 Model M Industrial Prototype ⌨ 1992 Black Oval Industrial SSK ⌨ 1982 5251 Beam Spring ⌨ 89 Key "SSK" ⌨ M13 triplets

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 12 September 2014, 09:51:50 »
My greatest disappointment was that because the keyboard controller and valuable-looking parts of the matrix was on the right side, you can't saw it down and create a Kishsaver easily. Although it is much lighter than Model Fs, the construction is also way too solid to cut down easily. Otherwise I was REALLY aching to turn it into Kishsaver + numpad.

Dammit.  This was the only reason I was even considering this keyboard.

Oh it's still possible. The easiest way is likely to direct-wire though.

I'm thinking of getting another one so I can keep it original, and have the second one be the "heavily modded" version.

Offline Thechemist

« Reply #14 on: Fri, 12 September 2014, 12:37:09 »
Price lowered to $24.95 + shipping.

Offline Parak

« Reply #15 on: Fri, 12 September 2014, 12:55:57 »
Bah @ cutting down rare boards. BAH!

Heretics and infidels, all of you!

Offline Touch_It

« Reply #16 on: Fri, 12 September 2014, 13:13:38 »

agree.  big boards are beautiful. 

Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #17 on: Fri, 12 September 2014, 13:39:13 »

The second one is for the other hand.

So you have one non-cut one for RH typing and any tenkey-work you need to get done, and the second one is for the left side of your split KB.

Price lowered to $24.95 + shipping.

This is the price they were before. A total steal and I recommend you snap them up! Modding them is quite simple and I am happy to help answer questions about it (or do it for you )

Right now I'm working out how to use an arduino pro micro as the new controller to save money. ($7 instead of $16+$7 shipping)
« Last Edit: Fri, 12 September 2014, 13:41:48 by dorkvader »

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #18 on: Fri, 12 September 2014, 14:19:24 »
Right now I'm working out how to use an arduino pro micro as the new controller to save money. ($7 instead of $16+$7 shipping)

What you save in cash, you pay for in time and frustration. #TeamTeensy #PJRC
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #19 on: Fri, 12 September 2014, 14:58:49 »

BBB <3

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
I know it's been a while since this topic was posted to, but I just wanted to add my voice to Dorkvader's about these wonderful boards—which amazingly are still available at $24.95 plus shipping.

I just received mine (the Japanese version), and I'm sure glad I took DV's advice and got one. They are indeed a "total steal".

This is a very solidly made board. I haven't looked inside mine yet, but it's obvious from its weight that there's a substantial steel plate in there. The switches are delightfully responsive, and the board's resonant quality does give it a distinctive bell-like tone that, personally, I find delightful.

And the keys! Spherical, double-shot (why has no one mentioned that?), and with a pronounced row contour that may look daunting at first, but which I find perfectly ergonomic.

This board may look ridiculously long in its photos, but it's virtually the same width as a Model M; its lesser depth just creates the illusion it's extra-long.

I'm sure looking forward to doing the controller replacement, mapping the keys, and putting this sweetheart into action. If you have any interest in rare, unusual and particularly enjoyable KBs, I hope you won't miss your chance to get one of these at such a bargain price.

And yes, in addition to everything else, NIB IBM—how often does that happen? Sayonara, A.

[edit] These have speakers behind their grilles! Something else no one's mentioned.  :?)
« Last Edit: Thu, 14 May 2015, 04:45:46 by ander »
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline orihalcon

I believe that a regular xWhatsit Model F controller works with these, but have not tried it myself.  Would save the hassle of having to hand wire!

Offline 3Love

• Bumpino Supremo
  • I want to become a great collector. Greedy!!!
    • https://geekhack.org/index.php?PHPSESSID=k2nr40gkan70jkrb73d6c37qjkvmq5ff&topic=63161.0
Subtotal (1 item):
$29.35
Shipping to 91750:
$27.35
Cry for Shipping fee
I♥Keyboard  I♥Clack  I♥Brobot  I♥Hammer
                          I♥♥♥friends 
【WTB/WTTF】https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=63161.0

KBD Collection: 356CL, 356.2, 356DGE, Koala, 356MINI, 356N, 356N-MK2, 356PAD, 360C, 456GT, FMJ, LZ-MXSE, LZ-RE, KMAC 1.0, KPAD, Duck Orion, Duck Pad, Exo, TEX and etc.

Offline E TwentyNine

• Some of My Keyboards
Subtotal (1 item):
$29.35
Shipping to 91750:
$27.35
Cry for Shipping fee

Check again.  The seller has default shipping set to "Expedited".  Change it to standard and it's $14.91.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
Subtotal (1 item):
$29.35
Shipping to 91750:
$27.35
Cry for Shipping fee

Spend thousands on Clacks, Bros, and custom keyboards, no problem.  Get a fantastic deal on an uncommon/rare old NIB IBM keyboard, complain about shipping cost.

I don't get GH sometimes.

Offline dorkvader

And the keys! Spherical, double-shot (why has no one mentioned that?), and with a pronounced row contour that may look daunting at first, but which I find perfectly ergonomic.

[edit] These have speakers behind their grilles! Something else no one's mentioned.  :?)
the NKRO is a huge feature for me, that's not always listed.

I believe that a regular xWhatsit Model F controller works with these, but have not tried it myself.  Would save the hassle of having to hand wire!
This is not the case without serious modification (the type of modification that would completely negate the Xwhatsit simplicity). The sense lines are normal but the strobes are muxed. I believe soarer added the muxtrobe feature to his firmware specifically for these boards. source.

however, a controller replacement and soarers KB controlelr code will work. Hasu and soarer also figured out the protocol (same as kishsaver) and you can do an adapter though it's not as nice. source

About the shipping: These are a bargain at twice the price. Converted with a $5 APM, they are easily better than any $60 KB I know of available today.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
Well, I have $45 in my Paypal account and I like weird old stuff, but, really, who am I kidding?

I don't even like linear switches, so it would probably be mostly an exercise in buying it and holding it until I could turn it for a profit.

But, please indulge me 2 questions:

(1) is there any reasonable source for key caps? outside of ancient Apple gear, which is goofy anyway, and

(2) is this an all-metal case?

Thanks
State Freedom Caucus News 2024
Missouri state Senator Nick Schroer sponsors a bill that would allow senators to duel one another — in the Senate chambers! – legally.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
TI-99 (Texas Instruments), some Radio Shack/Tandy TRS-80s have them, the M0110 and M0110A have them, and I know I've seen a few others.

I believe it is, but I can't remember.

Offline unoab

Had to dig it out because I knew I saw it this morning, but it seems it is plastic.  Here is the post I saw about that:
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=52888.msg1179024#msg1179024

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
And of course people did mention the DS caps and the speaker over in the original thread. I should've known, there's no way you guys would miss features like that.

Fo, when I got mine, I did think it was metal—it's so stoutly made, compared to M's. Maybe it's because the case is more rounded and vertically compact, but it's one solid board. And even if you don't generally like linear switches, it provides such distinctive acoustic feedback, you may not care.
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
And even if you don't generally like linear switches, it provides such distinctive acoustic feedback, you may not care.

I think it was dv who nicknamed it the pingmaster.

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
Yep—our ol' Dork's a real cutup.  :?)

Offline berserkfan

This keyboard is beautiful and of awesomely high quality. It just reminds me of the hulking, solid computers of my childhood.

That said, if you do not like linear switches, DO NOT touch it. The green alps are way more linear/smooth than Cherry reds or blacks. That, and their high actuation, makes them a dream to type on for some people. But lack of feedback is awful in my eyes.

Offline dorkvader

Well, I have $45 in my Paypal account and I like weird old stuff, but, really, who am I kidding?

I don't even like linear switches, so it would probably be mostly an exercise in buying it and holding it until I could turn it for a profit.

But, please indulge me 2 questions:

(1) is there any reasonable source for key caps? outside of ancient Apple gear, which is goofy anyway, and

Thanks

Switches are not linear. I don't know how this got started. They feel like MX browns to me. Now they are linear at the actuation point (since it's so high) but there is a period of tactility just over halfway down.

Case is similar to the displaywriter beamspring. Not metal but certainly the next best thing.

TI-99 (Texas Instruments), some Radio Shack/Tandy TRS-80s have them, the M0110 and M0110A have them, and I know I've seen a few others.

TRS80 model III I believe, They are usually listed as the "alps" version and go for a lot since it's one of the best TRS-80 KBs I guess people like to upgrade their one.

Also found in vintage (late 1970's early 1980's I think) Heathkit / Zenith. The Z-100 series had them. All other KBs with them are somewhat uncommon. Note that the apple ones have the cream / beige coloured switches

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
...That, and their high actuation, makes them a dream to type on for some people. But lack of feedback is awful in my eyes.

What kind of "feedback" do you need? You certainly know when you've pressed one of them, and you just pointed out how easily actuated they are—so what's the problem?

Offline berserkfan

...That, and their high actuation, makes them a dream to type on for some people. But lack of feedback is awful in my eyes.

What kind of "feedback" do you need? You certainly know when you've pressed one of them, and you just pointed out how easily actuated they are—so what's the problem?

As someone used to using heavy switches, I rest my hand on the keyboard without issue on all other boards. On this one, I often actuate by accident because the slightest pressure works. Also, without tactile feedback I often do not realize that I have repeated the actuation.

It's a dream board for some people I guess. Totally not my style.

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
Fair enough. Personally, though, this board is so "musical", if it also clicked and bumped, I'd feel like someone was standing next to me blowing a party horn and throwing confetti.

Offline XMIT

• formerly jsoltren
« Reply #37 on: Wed, 10 June 2015, 20:50:33 »
These are fantastic boards for the price. I prefer to get them direct:

http://meci.com/nib-ibm-chinese-lettering-typing-computer-102-keyboard-letter-type-model-6113442.html
http://meci.com/nib-ibm-japanese-lettering-typing-computer-102-keyboard-letter-type-6112884.html

Mendelson's is great if you are in the Dayton, OH area. If you want a bunch shipped at cost just shoot them an e-mail or pick up the phone!

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #38 on: Thu, 11 June 2015, 01:27:00 »
Nice! Those guys seem to carry a bit of everything, don't they? "Step right up, folks—get your clothing, get your kitchen implements, get your books, get your, uh... rare new-in-box IBM mechanical keyboards!"  :?)

Sorry if I'm repeating myself, but it boggles my mind that anyone would turn down a NIB IBM for $25, even if it required a Teensy. And as far as I know, these were the only IBM boards with Alps switches; that alone makes them highly collectable.

As a musician, I have a theory regarding their exceptional pinginess. Traditional Japanese and Chinese music emphasize trebly, tinkly tones. Apparently these types of sounds have a special appeal to Asian ears. (It's well known how Japanese pianos like Yamahas and Kawais emphasize the upper registers, and get brighter as they're played.) Could this be why IBM chose these uniquely tuned, ping-emphasizing switches? Maybe not, but it's fun to think about. (BTW, these musings are strictly musicological, and not racist, in intention.)

Offline XMIT

• formerly jsoltren
« Reply #39 on: Thu, 11 June 2015, 06:43:55 »
Heh. That's a funny theory regarding music. Nope, that's just how these switches work, AFAICT.

Offline Touch_It

« Reply #40 on: Thu, 11 June 2015, 13:28:44 »
I have been eyeing one of these for quite a while.  Still have money tied up in projects/commitments for a while though.

Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #41 on: Sat, 13 June 2015, 00:49:01 »
Anyone know of an official name for this series? Currently have it listed as a Pingsaver since the P/N is useless.  :p
I proxy anything including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/User:Blaise170

Offline XMIT

• formerly jsoltren
« Reply #42 on: Sun, 14 June 2015, 10:09:38 »
The PN is not useless at all! It tells you if the keyboard is Chinese or Japanese, and if it has a 00 or 000 key on the numeric keypad.

Pingsaver. Nice. But these are not space saving keyboards at all. They are comparable in size to an F107. Plus they have a plastic casing, not the cast aluminum casing of Kish series keyboards.

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #43 on: Sun, 14 June 2015, 23:53:04 »
Pingsaver. Nice. But these are not space saving keyboards at all. They are comparable in size to an F107. Plus they have a plastic casing, not the cast aluminum casing of Kish series keyboards.
That's why I favored the "pingmaster" moniker but it never caught on.

Despite them being plastic, they remain one of the most thoughtfully constructed KBs I've ever seen. NKRO, doubleshots, speaker, excellent attention to detail (take the end of the DB4 connector apart if you don't believe me) the "thumb keys" on the bottom row are properly rounded, etc etc.

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #44 on: Sun, 14 June 2015, 23:58:06 »
I'd be all for Pingmaster if the community would come to an agreement. I just can't remember that I have an IBM Model 6113442.  :p
I proxy anything including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/User:Blaise170

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #45 on: Mon, 15 June 2015, 14:54:32 »
All in favour of Pingmaster? [raising hand]

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #46 on: Mon, 15 June 2015, 15:16:06 »
Aye

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #47 on: Mon, 15 June 2015, 17:11:10 »
That's what it was, Pingmaster, not pingsaver.  I haven't opened mine still, but I think it fits.

Offline XMIT

• formerly jsoltren
« Reply #48 on: Mon, 15 June 2015, 20:31:26 »
Pingmaster sounds good to me.

Offline PicklesKill

« Reply #49 on: Wed, 17 June 2015, 16:35:47 »
I bought one, I couldn't stop myself.