Author Topic: O-rings and Landing Pads  (Read 1948 times)

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
O-rings and Landing Pads
« on: Sat, 11 May 2013, 13:24:30 »
O-rings of various hardness, Landing Pads (soft/firm)--I'm lost!

Would anyone who's used landing pads or both landing pads and o-rings care to comment on your experience with them?

I'm using 50A o-rings for MX Brown switches, and while the bottoming out sound has been diminished, I think the feel of the keys has changed slightly, and there's still some bottoming out sound present.  I'm wondering if switching to landing pads will be good improvement.  And which pads would make more sense for MX Browns: firm or soft ones?

http://elitekeyboards.com/products.php?sub=access,slpads

Many thanks!

- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
Re: O-rings and Landing Pads
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 11 May 2013, 13:26:52 »
I wrote a review with my thoughts here. I currently use the black soft landing pads on my FC700R

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 11 May 2013, 13:30:10 »
Doh, I searched but apparently not thoroughly enough.

Thank you for the link and the review work~
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 11 May 2013, 13:58:57 »
Thanks! Hopefully others will chime in with their thoughts as well but I think there's quite a few links/threads around on this.

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 11 May 2013, 15:42:02 »
Landing pads were way too mushy for me. 40A and 50A are nearly the same, and those feel just right to me. I custom ordered 30A silicone O-rings for a GB before, but those were pretty expensive to get custom made.

Btw, no matter which softness you use, there is no way to completely remove all bottom-out sound. They're just too thin to physically remove 100% of the force.

Offline GeoTang

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 12 May 2013, 04:09:53 »
http://deskthority.net/off-topic-f10/o-ring-sampler-t3386.html
In this thread of try-it-out bags on deskthority, the people that tried it thought o-rings > landing pads because the pads were too mushy.

« Last Edit: Sun, 12 May 2013, 04:12:58 by GeoTang »

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 12 May 2013, 09:04:45 »
I think that pads are pretty nice with blues, because you are working off the actuation point, which is still a bit higher than the pad.

For others, I like O-rings, the softer and thinner the better. I don't want to change the travel any more than I have to, and do want the cushion all the way at the bottom.

If it were possible to put O-rings on buckling springs, I would do it. They would be nice on Alps, too, since the actuation point is so high.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"