Author Topic: I internally Teensied my SSK today  (Read 2075 times)

Offline khaangaaroo

I internally Teensied my SSK today
« on: Sun, 12 May 2013, 13:46:19 »
I used a nut as a spacer and hot glue to mount it on the PCB. I wanted it mounted high so the cable would clear the stand when I pushed it back against the monitor. Pictures!

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
Re: I internally Teensied my SSK today
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 12 May 2013, 13:51:05 »
What are you planning on doing with that Teensy? I'm going to get an SSK soon and I'm looking for some project ideas ^__^

Offline khaangaaroo

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 12 May 2013, 14:02:36 »
I just like having a USB port at the keyboard so that I can easily swap between boards without having to unplug it from the back of my tower. The original cord was a little short too. So I just did it for the convenience.

I'm happy with the standard SSK layout, so I didn't do any key remapping like I did with the Teensy on my Model F XT.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 12 May 2013, 14:16:00 »
Oooo, that is a good idea. I'm stealing it :D

Edit: Now I have to go find your Model F XT mod. I think it'd be cool to have a function layer or something on the SSK

Offline codyeatworld

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 12 May 2013, 14:22:03 »
Very cool. Thanks for sharing.

Offline khaangaaroo

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 12 May 2013, 14:24:50 »
I dunno if I ever posted about fitting a Teensy into a XT. I don't think I took any pictures for that, so I never posted about it. But the method is similar. The only difference is that you mount the Teensy directly to the case instead of the PCB, and you have to cut the hole a little larger so the usb cable will fit.

Offline TheFlyingRaccoon

• HHKB Pro
  • * Maker
  • Cable maker and future engineer
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 12 May 2013, 14:49:46 »
Did you remap any of the keys with the teensy? Anyways this is a really cool mod. :D
HHKB Pro 2   SmallFry Keyboard

Offline khaangaaroo

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 12 May 2013, 15:00:22 »
Thanks. I didn't remap anything since the SSK is already in the layout I'm familiar with.
But it isn't difficult to remap keys once you figure out how to do it the first time. I think the instructions for remapping are a little vague. Maybe it's because I'm not much of a coder. But Soarer does include several remapping schemes already typed up in some config files. All you would need to do is load his config program and point to the code if you wanted to switch to Divorak or something.