Author Topic: 60% Keyset Renders - HitBit - Atari - Sega - Matrix - Spectrum - Nintendo  (Read 13648 times)

Offline panaromico

Hello, I'm new here, I do not know if it's the right place to post this.

These are some renderings of 60% keysets that I've made, they are tributes to several interesting things for me. They are only interpretations!

I hope you find some interesting as well. And maybe it helps to bring ideas to someone. I think it's always good to see keysets even if they are not real...   :)

Offline zslane

Re: 60% Keyset Renders - HitBit - Atari - Sega - Matrix - Spectrum - Nintendo
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 17 February 2017, 13:04:19 »
Fun!  :thumb:

Offline HackJoe

• MODZERO CUSTOMS
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 17 February 2017, 13:25:53 »
I want them all! Make it happen number  1.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

-MODZERO-

Offline Rykno

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 17 February 2017, 18:16:48 »
really like the matrix one for some reason, and I wasn't crazy about terminal, nice renders!

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 17 February 2017, 18:23:41 »
I'm fan of the Matrix render as well :)

Offline sems

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 17 February 2017, 18:33:18 »
Fan of Atari, Matrix and Spectrum! Would love to see this sets in IC thread.

Offline panaromico

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 18 February 2017, 05:11:42 »
Fan of Atari, Matrix and Spectrum! Would love to see this sets in IC thread.
I'm thinking about it.
But I need to know if anyone would join forces with me to carry out a group pbuy. I would do everything related to the design.

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 18 February 2017, 09:22:39 »
Nintendo and Sega hit home. The Matrix one is really quite nice, too. Should get some renders going with Katakana legends for it!

Offline UsualSuspectXXX

• (⌐■_■)⊃━☆゚.*・。゚
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 19 February 2017, 10:23:03 »
Love the atari set. But all those custom legends would cost a fortune!

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 19 February 2017, 12:31:57 »
Really like these.  Not sure I've seen some of those colors from SP before.  Did you use their colors or would they be custom?

Offline ClearKeys

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 19 February 2017, 12:50:33 »
Always appreciate some nice throwback gaming sets. Would love to see the Nintendo set come to life. Nice work!

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Offline panaromico

« Reply #11 on: Sun, 19 February 2017, 13:03:27 »
Really like these.  Not sure I've seen some of those colors from SP before.  Did you use their colors or would they be custom?

I didn't make them thinking about the colors of SP, they are just ideas. The next step would be to test them with SP colors. Anyway, I think I have a lot to learn before I could start a group buy project.  :confused:

Love the atari set. But all those custom legends would cost a fortune!

I agree! New molds...

Offline panaromico

« Reply #12 on: Sun, 19 February 2017, 13:10:39 »
Always appreciate some nice throwback gaming sets. Would love to see the Nintendo set come to life. Nice work!

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Thanks! I appreciate your comment. I think I have a lot to learn about group buys, before opening an interest check.  :confused:

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 20 February 2017, 18:24:27 »
Omg, that Nintendo one on the new Dolphin...  I've NEVER thought I would have an endgame, but that would be it.  I would throw in the towel.  Of course, a lot of what makes the set is the custom font which will cost a lot extra.

Speaking of, what font did you use?  I've seen people discuss some version of "limited view" and there is a good version called Nintendo console controller or something, right?

Also, what about a star for the OS key on the Nintendo one?  The mushroom is fitting, of course, but it seems out of place, design-wise.  I guess it's just not as simple as the rest of the design. A star, however could be simple. Or maybe a pack of themed keys representing other NES games, like a triforce or a weapon upgrade from contra or a POW block
« Last Edit: Mon, 20 February 2017, 18:43:10 by reececonrad »

Offline panaromico

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 21 February 2017, 07:22:41 »
Omg, that Nintendo one on the new Dolphin...  I've NEVER thought I would have an endgame, but that would be it.  I would throw in the towel.  Of course, a lot of what makes the set is the custom font which will cost a lot extra.

Speaking of, what font did you use?  I've seen people discuss some version of "limited view" and there is a good version called Nintendo console controller or something, right?

Also, what about a star for the OS key on the Nintendo one?  The mushroom is fitting, of course, but it seems out of place, design-wise.  I guess it's just not as simple as the rest of the design. A star, however could be simple. Or maybe a pack of themed keys representing other NES games, like a triforce or a weapon upgrade from contra or a POW block

Yes, the custom font will cost a lot extra. So, if I decide to continue developing some keyset, probably the first will be Matrix or Spectrum.

The name of the font is "Nes Controller Regular"

I agree with your arguments and I like the idea of the star. I'll keep it in mind for the novelty keys  :thumb:

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 21 February 2017, 12:20:05 »

Yes, the custom font will cost a lot extra. So, if I decide to continue developing some keyset, probably the first will be Matrix or Spectrum.

The name of the font is "Nes Controller Regular"

I agree with your arguments and I like the idea of the star. I'll keep it in mind for the novelty keys  :thumb:

Can you call it NES?

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
So.... I couldn't take NOT having this set and I got some printed from WASD.

Yes, yes... we all know that keycap connoisseurs wouldn't touch a set from them with a 10 foot pole, but here we go.

Colors used:

Alphas - Beige
Modifiers - Graphite
Bottom Row - Black

Text colors (most keys) - red #C9282D
Text color (red keys) - beige #D0CCC0

The keycaps (with my original NES for comparison)

162096-0

162098-1

162100-2

Thoughts:

Quality:

Of course we're not talking anywhere near the feels of expensive keycaps.  I own plenty of nice keycaps (GMK: Monkey, Hyperfuse, Hydro, Dolch; SP Granite, Eve, Industrial, Filco Hipro(brown), 3 custom color sets; Ducky gray and blue; Vortex blanks, side print; EnjoyPBT Red on Beige, Blue on Beige, Cyrillic (blue)... and 5 or 6 other sets.)  Point is, I know my keycaps.  I knew these would feel about like stock caps and they do.  They aren't flimsy, just pretty standard.  They are, however, shiny, which leads to problems with dark text on dark keys (hard to see).

Color

This was a tough one, and I just had to make a call.  I knew the WASD graphite was a bit too dark, but I was afraid the next lighter color (slate) wouldn't have been enough contrast.  I might do another run with slate and see if it will do.  The red on graphite modifiers just isn't working on this set.  I think the Alphas are perfect.  The red on black is okay, but the nature of UV printing makes the red a bit too pale.  Plus, as I mentioned before, the shiny nature of the dark keys isn't very attractive.  The beige on red is good.  I could possible go a bit brighter on the font, but I like how it makes for a more worn/retro look.

Legends

I think I got the alphas just right.  I want to bump up the font size of the modifiers by 1 point.

Conclusion

If anyone is interested in running a set from WASD, I would be happy to share my template file.  Of course, all credit goes to panaromico for the vision and renders.  Amazing work.  The only thing I changed from his original concept was "Select" on the capslock, because I use it as a Function key, and "NES" for the OS key.   If custom legends weren't so cost prohibitive, I had no doubt whatsoever that this set could be a full, double-shot reality.  I'm just keeping the dream alive  :thumb:

« Last Edit: Sat, 04 March 2017, 15:06:07 by reececonrad »

Offline Twinguin

This looks really good. And the font matches perfectly. I agree that the WASD caps are perfect for trying things out and are not too shabby for daily use. I think, I need to redo my Sinclair board with the proper old style legends now ...
There is a curse. They say: May you live in interesting times!, Terry Pratchett

Popsicle KUL ES-87 (MX Blue, DSA) | Sun Ultracomputing Pok3r (MX Brown, DSA) | Nuclear WASD 100% (MX Brown, SA) | Gulf Pok3r (MX Clear, DSA) | Granite JD45 (MX Blue, DSA) | Coffee Core (MX Red, DSA) | Lime Pok3r (MX Clear, SA) | Canvas Vibe (MX Silent Red, XDA)

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
A GMK Atari set would rock!

Offline UsualSuspectXXX

• (⌐■_■)⊃━☆゚.*・。゚
(Attachment Link)

Dude, this looks perfect! The legends are pretty on point.  :thumb:

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
Yes I agree that a GMK Atari set would look amazing.  But they would never run the Atari logo or icon :(

I was thinking NES could be generic enough since it's just letters, but I'm sure Nintendo would disagree

Offline panaromico

This looks really good. And the font matches perfectly. I agree that the WASD caps are perfect for trying things out and are not too shabby for daily use. I think, I need to redo my Sinclair board with the proper old style legends now ...

Haha!! I love it!

Thanks reececonrad for sharing!  :thumb:

I didn't think it would look so good on those simple wasd keys! It looks pretty good!

When 3d printers evolve enough, I hope we can make our own doubleshot keys!  :-X

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #22 on: Tue, 18 September 2018, 11:56:20 »
was thinking about these today.  Decided to bump it hoping that one fine day we would see something like this happen.

Offline killyou

« Reply #23 on: Thu, 20 September 2018, 09:10:46 »
Matrix with bank gothic and OEM profile please!

Offline gianjohn

« Reply #24 on: Sat, 02 January 2021, 07:19:22 »

Yes, yes... we all know that keycap connoisseurs wouldn't touch a set from them with a 10 foot pole, but here we go.

Colors used:

Alphas - Beige
Modifiers - Graphite
Bottom Row - Black

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

Thoughts:

Quality:

Of course we're not talking anywhere near the feels of expensive keycaps.  I own plenty of nice keycaps (GMK: Monkey, Hyperfuse, Hydro, Dolch; SP Granite, Eve, Industrial, Filco Hipro(brown), 3 custom color sets; Ducky gray and blue; Vortex blanks, side print; EnjoyPBT Red on Beige, Blue on Beige, Cyrillic (blue)... and 5 or 6 other sets.)  Point is, I know my keycaps.  I knew these would feel about like stock caps and they do.  They aren't flimsy, just pretty standard.  They are, however, shiny, which leads to problems with dark text on dark keys (hard to see).

Color

This was a tough one, and I just had to make a call.  I knew the WASD graphite was a bit too dark, but I was afraid the next lighter color (slate) wouldn't have been enough contrast.  I might do another run with slate and see if it will do.  The red on graphite modifiers just isn't working on this set.  I think the Alphas are perfect.  The red on black is okay, but the nature of UV printing makes the red a bit too pale.  Plus, as I mentioned before, the shiny nature of the dark keys isn't very attractive.  The beige on red is good.  I could possible go a bit brighter on the font, but I like how it makes for a more worn/retro look.

Legends

I think I got the alphas just right.  I want to bump up the font size of the modifiers by 1 point.

Conclusion

If anyone is interested in running a set from WASD, I would be happy to share my template file.  Of course, all credit goes to panaromico for the vision and renders.  Amazing work.  The only thing I changed from his original concept was "Select" on the capslock, because I use it as a Function key, and "NES" for the OS key.   If custom legends weren't so cost prohibitive, I had no doubt whatsoever that this set could be a full, double-shot reality.  I'm just keeping the dream alive  :thumb:

Sorry for my ignorance.
This is the 1st message for me after my introduction.
Please would you be so kind to tell me how to buy a set like yours?
I am also a Mac user.
Thank you.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #25 on: Sat, 02 January 2021, 15:19:33 »

Colors used:

Alphas - Beige
Modifiers - Graphite
Bottom Row - Black

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

Thoughts:

Quality:

Color

Legends

Conclusion

Sorry for my ignorance.
This is the 1st message for me after my introduction.
Please would you be so kind to tell me how to buy a set like yours?
I am also a Mac user.
Thank you.

You have to upload a file to wasdkeyboards

This should help you out:
https://support.wasdkeyboards.com/hc/en-us/articles/115009403848-Intro-to-Custom-Layouts

Offline gianjohn

« Reply #26 on: Sun, 10 January 2021, 03:44:47 »

https://support.wasdkeyboards.com/hc/en-us/articles/115009403848-Intro-to-Custom-Layouts

Thank you!
So I have to recreate the style by my Adobe Illustrator and upload the file on wasdkeyboards?
Please can you tell me a little bit more?
Thanks!

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #27 on: Sun, 10 January 2021, 11:07:01 »

Thank you!
So I have to recreate the style by my Adobe Illustrator and upload the file on wasdkeyboards?
Please can you tell me a little bit more?
Thanks!

On the link that I posted, you'll see a template file.  You simply edit the font on the template to the font you want and add any artwork you may like.  There are step by step instructions and resources for adding images and modifying text color in that link as well.
« Last Edit: Sun, 10 January 2021, 11:09:20 by pixelpusher »