Author Topic: [GB] Mesa TKL | Extras/B-stock sale - June 16 @ 3pm PST  (Read 12405 times)

Offline dani_

• Mesa Keyboards
[GB] Mesa TKL | Extras/B-stock sale - June 16 @ 3pm PST
« on: Sun, 25 October 2020, 17:38:01 »
Mesa TKL | Extras Sale June 16 @ 3pm PST

Extra A- and B-stock will be available here https://mesakeyboards.com/collections/mesa-tkl-extras along with limited spare plates, PCBs, etc. The store will open June 16 @ 3pm Los Angeles time, all sales will be first-come-first-served. Orders will ship within a few days of purchase.

Current Status: Extras and B-stock go on sale June 16 @ 3pm PST
Expected Fulfillment: April-May 2021

IC Thread: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=105006.0
Discord: https://discord.gg/rX7BZhK
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/mesakeyboards/

Overview

Mesa TKL is a keyboard I designed to have the lowest typing height possible with MX-style switches. There's an opening in the bottom of the case that lets the PCB rest just above the desktop and as a result the switches and keycaps sit about 5-7mm lower than they do on most comparable keyboards. The stainless steel plate is gasket mounted with extra foam dampers for a stiff feel and a tight, muted sound profile. The aesthetic is minimalist and functional, with most of the design dictated by mechanical constraints. This keyboard is a workhorse: comfortable without a wrist rest, tuned for feel and sound, and elegant enough to make you take a second look.

After lots of feedback, two rounds of prototyping, and delivered commissions, this project is ready for a larger production run. Check out the IC thread for discussion, photos, build log, and typing videos and join the discord to get updates in real time.

Group Buy Details:
  • $450 + local taxes + shipping
  • Limited to 50 units
  • Black or white e-coat
  • Standard layout or winkeyless layout (each with separate MOQ of 20)
  • Extra plates, PCBs, and foam will be available

Supported layouts:

Included in kit:
  • Aluminum case + stainless steel weight
  • Stainless steel plate
  • PCB + daughterboard
  • Gaskets
  • Foam Dampers
  • Domed silicone feet
  • All fasteners
  • Ultra low-profile stabilizer screws for spacebar

How to Buy

Raffle link: closed

The group buy is limited to 50 spots which will be chosen in a raffle. The raffle will open on Oct. 29 7:00pm PST and run for 48 hours.

There are two variants of Mesa TKL, standard layout and winkeyless, each with its own separate MOQ of 20 units. Once the raffle is closed, entries will be drawn until the 50 unit limit is reached. If a variant does not reach MOQ, entries that chose the losing variant will be modified according to the "Alternative Layout" checkbox on the raffle form; those that checked the box will be converted to the winning variant, those that did not will be removed.

Entries will be drawn blindly and totally at random. Winning entries will get their first choice of layout - the drawing will not be manipulated to ensure that both variants are made.

If you receive a winning entry you must create an account in the store with the email address you provided in your raffle entry (you can do so by clicking on the roughly human shaped icon in the top right corner of the store's home page). This will unlock the products in the Mesa TKL Collection and let you add them to your cart. The shipping address you provide at checkout must match the one in the raffle entry.

Please refer to the terms and conditions on my website. I expect fulfillment to take between four and six months, but this is an estimate not a promise. Once I place my orders with the suppliers it's completely out of my hands so I can commit to transparency but not deadlines. Make sure you have given this thought and accept it before joining the group buy.

Photos and Renders

Height comparison with RAMA M60 (on the left)

A look at how the PCB emerges from the case.

There are no copper traces or SMT components on the exposed portion of PCB.
(Note that the production version will have domed feet rather than flat pads.)

Fully assembled prototype.
This was a commission and has been delivered, built with lubed aqua zilents and ePBT ABS Dolch caps.

Rear view of the USB port and weight.

Note: This configuration will not be available in the GB!
It's just here to give you an idea of what the keyboard looks like in black.
The black colorway what will be available is e-black + stainless steel, whereas this is anodized black + brass.

« Last Edit: Sun, 13 June 2021, 12:20:31 by dani_ »

Offline cong314159

Re: [GB] Mesa TKL | in production
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 13 November 2020, 11:30:03 »
GB already closed? I was only notified by Geekhack just now.

Offline dani_

• Mesa Keyboards
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 13 November 2020, 12:21:08 »
GB already closed? I was only notified by Geekhack just now.

Probably my fault - I had been trying to contact Signature without any luck before somebody suggested that I just report the thread for approval.

Offline dani_

• Mesa Keyboards
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 13 April 2021, 00:46:53 »
Quick update for those who aren't in the Discord:

I have taken delivery of the cases and am now preparing to start fulfilling orders. I'm aiming to have the first batch of orders out before the end of this month, and I'm working roughly in order of invoice number.

I'll be posting photos and videos of the fulfillment process on the Mesa Keyboards Instagram for those interested.

As always, let me know if you have any questions.

Offline Liub

Re: [GB] Mesa TKL | QA and packing!
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 13 April 2021, 01:52:11 »
Most lowkey and quiet GB ever, keep up the great work dani_ looking forward to my board.

Offline dani_

• Mesa Keyboards
Re: [GB] Mesa TKL | Shipping
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 11 May 2021, 00:58:53 »
The final batch of orders is all packed up!

If you have not received a keyboard, a tracking number, or an email from me requesting address confirmation, please contact me immediately!

Offline FearsomeCubedWarrior

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 11 May 2021, 13:17:32 »
I've got it and it's perfect. Finish, design, engineering -- everything is top notch.
And the whole GB was the smoothest ride possible: timely update for every step, full transparency.

Offline Tyson

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 11 May 2021, 22:42:36 »
I'd love to get my hands on an extra if there are any! Loved this board since the IC!

Disregard my message! Was able to get ahold of one from a friend! :D
« Last Edit: Fri, 14 May 2021, 09:43:24 by Tyson »

Offline dani_

• Mesa Keyboards
Re: [GB] Mesa TKL | Closed - stay tuned for extras/b-stock
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 24 May 2021, 00:34:29 »
Update time! (I saved the sappy stuff for the discord...)

All group buy orders have shipped. I still need to inventory my by overage but I expect to have six extra units available along with some spare plates and PCBs. The extras sale will be FCFS on the web store and I will give plenty of warning here and on the discord before opening it up.

A huge thank you to all the group buy participants and everyone who has supported this project along the way. I'm thrilled with the results and I hope you all are too. For now, it's back to the drawing board and I can't wait to do it all again!

Offline hottrout

• I'd Hit Dat Key
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 24 May 2021, 04:24:36 »
Mesa + EV-02 + Vintage Wey Cherry Caps

Thank you Dani for producing something very special.
Current Daily Driver : Virgo - Ultramarine - Standard Lube  |  WTB : Topre Realforce Hi-Pro, please PM me if you have one for sale.

Systems -
More
Work |i9-7940x@4.8ghz|32GB(3600)|STRIX-RTX3090Ti|Bespoke Water, 360m Rad|X299 Prime Deluxe|EK x299 Monoblock|Optane 900p|2x1TB 960 Pro|2x10TB Helium|Dell U3415W + Dell UP2116Q
Home |i9-13900ks|32GB(7300)|Rog RTX 4090|Asus Z790 Rog Maximus Hero|Torrent Air|2TB 990 Pro|2TB 990 Pro|Dell AW3423DW QOLED|NEC MultiSync|Drobo16TB
Mining |i5-7500|16GB(2400)|H110 Pro BTC+|8x1080Ti|2x1650Watt PSU

Plus 40 years of collecting retro computers, consoles, games, peripherals, mainframes and mini's as well as their software, keyboards, games and manuals. 100's of systems including every Amiga model made
  Keyboards -
More
IBM 3101 | IBM 3276 | IBM 5150 | IBM ModelM | Dictaphone Dual Display | Vintage Cherrys (1982 onwards, just about all of them) | Commodore (all of them) | Nixdorf | Siemens | ICL | Apple (all of them) | Filco Majistouch | KBDFans 5degree - Chocolate | Rama M6-B - Moon | CA66 Silver | ClueBoard Graphite/PC | Varmilo VA69M Silver | E7-V1 SE Yellow | Rama U-80 Space Grey | VN66 Navy | BOCC Frosted Polycarbonate | Rama M10-C Midnight | FLX Virgo Teal & Black | Rama M60-A LYN Kuro | Space65 CyberVoyager WhiteGold | Space65 CyberVoyager Terminal | Hyper 7 | Clarabelle Sandblasted Polycarbonate | Elongate Mini 1800 Blue | Petrichor 1800 Red | Vulcan Maja Ergo Green | Think6.5v2 RoboCop | Jacky Bear 65% E-White | Sakabato CB87 TKL Champagne | KCK KY-01 Aquamarine | Jae J-01 F&F E-White & Copper | S7.7 E-White | The Adélie Blue | NIX OxalyS80 LE Dark Polycarbonate | Mesa TKL E-White | Smith & Rune IRON180 Graen/Brass | Skog Reboot Desert | CU7 Black | ROTR Silver & Copper | RAMA Kara Soya | Grid 650 E-White | SIX5 LE Aluminium & Gold | OwLab Voice65 Grey | BOX 75 Black Stainless Steel | Onyx E-White | Ikki68 BT Charcoal | Smith & Rune Iron 165 Graphite & Stainless Steel | Epoch 80% Black | RAMA Thermal SEQ2 Kuro | Paper Crane Gerald65 SE PC & CF | CB1800 ZANBATO | GLiTCH | Eclipse Grey & SS | TGR Tomo Silver | Mountain Ergo Black | Keebwerk NASU Black/Red | Phase One 65 Grey | Command TKL Fire | Chalice Frosted | VIENDI 8L Shadow | | Vulcan Maja PC | Glove 80 | Matrix 8XV 3.0 Starry Night | Sagittarius Grey Lilac | AKB OGR & Numpad Dolch | Type K Black

Offline djmantis

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 02 June 2021, 15:13:15 »
Any extras left?  :p

Offline dani_

• Mesa Keyboards
Re: [GB] Mesa TKL | Extras/B-stock sale - June 16 @ 3pm PST
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 13 June 2021, 12:55:51 »
Extras and B-stock will go on sale Wednesday June 16 at 3pm Los Angeles time.

Store link: https://mesakeyboards.com/collections/mesa-tkl-extras.

There are six cases available:

- 1x Black WKL (A stock)
- 2x Black TKL (A stock)
- 1x White WKL (B stock)
- 2x White TKL (B stock)

along with some extra plates, PCBs, and other spares. B-stock listings include detailed photos of defects. Sale will be first-come-first-served.

As a reminder, orders will ship immediately and all sales are final.

Feel free to reach out with any questions.

Offline Hell-es

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 14 June 2021, 13:05:12 »
0.00$ is fine, but i guess these aren‘t the prices ;) ?

Offline Neely_12

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 14 June 2021, 14:22:02 »
Might have to try for the extras on this

Offline dani_

• Mesa Keyboards
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 15 June 2021, 12:35:09 »
0.00$ is fine, but i guess these aren‘t the prices ;) ?

Fixed, prices are now live on the web store. A quick breakdown for the curious:

Base price for extras is Group Buy price +10% ($495 USD). This premium compensates me for the risk I took on in running the group buy. (The original group buy participants don’t pay it because they assumed part of that risk along with me.)

From that base price I deduct 10% for each 0.5mm of scratching on the top face of the case, and 5% for each 0.5mm of scratching on any other surface.

Pricing for spare plates, etc., will be the same as the group buy.

Offline dani_

• Mesa Keyboards
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 16 June 2021, 23:19:45 »
FYI I just cancelled an order so there's a B-stock white WK that's back up for sale:

https://mesakeyboards.com/collections/mesa-tkl-extras/products/mesa-tkl-extra-6-white-standard-b-stock

All of the the other extras are spoken for.