Author Topic: [IC] Cloudline - 88% F13 TKL | GB on Saturday, October 9th  (Read 257178 times)

Offline Quinella

Re: [IC] Cloudline - 88% F13 WKL TKL | IC Updated 5/14
« Reply #250 on: Sun, 16 May 2021, 02:55:29 »
very sad about the engraving change

Offline keguira

Re: [IC] Cloudline - 88% F13 WKL TKL | Minor Changes for Pre-Production!
« Reply #251 on: Sun, 16 May 2021, 03:49:29 »
It's smart and more than fair to go with your gut and preference on the non-functional changes, the board looks great and that's because of you. That said, your current engraving appears to resemble a battery to my eye at first and second glace at minor distance. All other engravings and even your original 3D logo that you had before all these opinions came flooding in have been fantastic no matter the versioning or changes, but this is such a drastic departure from all of them I just don't understand it.

I personally trust your eye and if it looks like a battery to me and you say no it's what it needs then I will still be a buyer as you clearly know what you are doing. I recognize the selfishness of mentioning this at all but as someone who's been tracking this board and only this board since your initial post I feel somehow invested in the concept and like a dog in the backyard I felt like barking was something I had to do.

Btw those internal engravings seen with no plate from the top down angle are just stunning and brilliant.  I've never seen that before. And agree with everyone else that shade of red is beautiful.

You just put the words I had in mind.

I think, i'll try to show this to someone who is not interested into keyboard and electronic stuff to see if (s)he has the same idea  :)
« Last Edit: Sun, 16 May 2021, 03:51:25 by keguira »

Offline Devastator

« Reply #252 on: Sun, 16 May 2021, 10:31:25 »
I was just wondering, will this keyboard be in TKL too, or just WKL?

Offline Jebus

« Reply #253 on: Sun, 16 May 2021, 10:50:30 »
I get so excited every time I see an update for this keeb, can't wait for GB!  ;)

Offline vi0till

« Reply #254 on: Sun, 16 May 2021, 10:59:42 »
I was just wondering, will this keyboard be in TKL too, or just WKL?
Stated in layout, WK & WKL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Qwapa

« Reply #255 on: Sun, 16 May 2021, 22:13:36 »
Love the engraving!! now gib

Offline Mt_Ursa

« Reply #256 on: Tue, 18 May 2021, 17:33:29 »
This is quite possible the most attractive design I have ever seen. I did not intend to ever delve into anything bigger than 65% again but this keyboard did it for me. I typically have issues finding the right combination of detail pieces for me - the overstated internals, the stunning side lines. With so many releases today I click on the first render and cannot distinguish it from any other project in the last 18 months but this is absolutely one of a kind.

Looks like a project I will be losing sleep to order, but it will be a worthy sacrifice. Thank you Shannie for inspiring this project!

Offline SDKCAMPING

« Reply #257 on: Wed, 19 May 2021, 00:52:45 »
Out of my price range but figured i'd offer my opinion on the engraving also if it may help you decide, seeing some people like it and some people don't ,i like the old engraving and also like the new one but may be a good idea to tweak the shape of the rectangle maybe.
Blue Gray Ciel 60 with BCPs | E-white 7V (plateless) with Aqua Kings

Offline Ustinj

« Reply #258 on: Thu, 20 May 2021, 00:44:17 »
Hi all,

Thanks for the comments. I read all of them and consider them.

Ball is starting to move.

Here is an update to announce 4 standard colors for the group buy. All colors will come with a contrasting silver bottom to emphasize the silver lining theme.

(Overcast) Silver, for an endlessly curtained sky
(Serene) Blue, for the sense of calm when the clouds and sky are in balance
(Dystopia) Red, for an ominous and foreboding skyline
(Moonlight) Gray, for a dark sky doused in ... well, the moonlight

Thank you!

Offline //gainsborough

• ALPSの日常
Re: [IC] Cloudline - 88% F13 WKL TKL | Colors Announced (May 19)
« Reply #259 on: Thu, 20 May 2021, 01:13:30 »
yes please.

Very nice work, can't wait for an opportunity to try for one!

Offline Jay Lee

« Reply #260 on: Thu, 20 May 2021, 01:18:21 »
 ;D Oh~ I love this.

Offline victorpre

« Reply #261 on: Thu, 20 May 2021, 02:48:24 »
Love the colors!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Offline prettydouchebag

« Reply #262 on: Thu, 20 May 2021, 10:45:13 »
All of the colors are absolutely STUNNING.

In for a red one if I could only be so lucky.

Offline thornkin

« Reply #263 on: Fri, 21 May 2021, 01:48:18 »
500 boards feels like we should have a reasonable shot at it.  Colors look really nice.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Offline DERBS

• N E 3u bars avail?
« Reply #264 on: Fri, 21 May 2021, 14:52:13 »
I like the smaller engraving on it TBH like others have said the outline on it makes it look out of place, it'd be fine if its just the clouds possibly but the smaller iteration was worlds better

personal preference I guess

With that being said I do thing that the smaller engraving would have benefited a lot by having it above the left or right arrow key instead of on top of the up/down keys
« Last Edit: Fri, 21 May 2021, 14:55:01 by DERBS »

Offline alwaysbless

« Reply #265 on: Fri, 21 May 2021, 19:57:29 »
Oh dear god please change that above arrow cluster engraving. The first one was much more minimal and aesthetically pleasing.

Offline TheMetalDog

« Reply #266 on: Fri, 21 May 2021, 20:09:57 »
Oh dear god please change that above arrow cluster engraving. The first one was much more minimal and aesthetically pleasing.

I hope they don't change it. I like it.

So that just shows how personal preference is a thing and I think it's been long decided that the designer is going to go with the design he likes, so it's up to us to decide if it's a design we want to spend money on.

For me, I'm really looking forward to an opportunity to buy one of these.

Offline alwaysbless

« Reply #267 on: Fri, 21 May 2021, 20:21:07 »
It reminds me of the windows photo + icloud icon mixed together. Its y00ge af and overpowering too imo

I hope they don't change it. I like it.

So that just shows how personal preference is a thing and I think it's been long decided that the designer is going to go with the design he likes, so it's up to us to decide if it's a design we want to spend money on.

For me, I'm really looking forward to an opportunity to buy one of these.

« Last Edit: Fri, 21 May 2021, 20:26:23 by alwaysbless »

Offline alwaysbless

« Reply #268 on: Fri, 21 May 2021, 20:23:26 »
 This is all I see now when I look at that new arrow cluster engraving :-X
« Last Edit: Fri, 21 May 2021, 20:39:10 by alwaysbless »

Offline Ustinj

« Reply #269 on: Fri, 21 May 2021, 20:26:33 »
Yeah in the end it is all very subjective. No hard feelings anywhere. We can see here that some say they want the engraving off-centered, while the very first posts I made of this board people were complaining about the engraving being off-centered. Can't please everyone with one keyboard, so I've just aimed to design something that I like and ideally there are people who swing the same direction and would like to join along. There is a good number of TKL IC's coming out of the woodwork lately, so there will be a surprising lot of options for everyone around the time this will be ready.

Currently, case design is mostly ready for pre-production samples. I'm working on some tweaks to the plate that will give more variety - with the previous leaf-springs, there was the common case of vibration transfer throughout the plate as well as having a bit too much give (which is not what I want coming from the stiffest plate variant I plan to offer). You may notice that a lot of similar leaf-spring structures come with dampening surfaces that significantly reduce that vibration (gaskets?) ... I'd like to avoid this, so I'm going to aim to slightly stiffen up the structure and let plate materials play a core role in feel. Also, as some may notice - there are mounting points in the four corners to the left / right of alphas, which already give a bit of extra relief. Plastic plates will not be compatible with relief cuts on the top-mount mounting points in addition to the 6-point mount, so an alternate plate design will be used for softer materials like polypropylene, polycarbonate, POM, etc if offered.

I would not be surprised if 99% of people will be using the gummy-worm mount anyway, which works perfectly :)

On that note, I like to show that we're moving closer to getting things moving:

Offline o3okevin

Re: [IC] Cloudline - 88% F13 WKL TKL | Unit Counts Announced (May 21)
« Reply #270 on: Fri, 21 May 2021, 21:24:58 »
let's gooo

Offline brodiegrizz

« Reply #271 on: Sat, 22 May 2021, 00:26:55 »
Will most definitely be trying to pick one of these up

Offline //gainsborough

• ALPSの日常
« Reply #272 on: Sat, 22 May 2021, 01:09:20 »
Is it safe to assume all vendors will be region locked?

Offline Hell-es

« Reply #273 on: Sat, 22 May 2021, 12:25:15 »
More love for europe :*(

Colors are very nice  :thumb:

Offline Ustinj

« Reply #274 on: Sun, 23 May 2021, 02:03:27 »
Is it safe to assume all vendors will be region locked?

I think we can assume that, but if any regions need help in filling up spots it'll be unlocked. I'd wait for full GB details to be confirmed - it should be clarified then.

Here are some images of the board with caps on (GMK Apollo) - those internals are really distracting. It's about time I rendered with caps... forgive any strangeness in the legends!

« Last Edit: Sun, 23 May 2021, 03:01:14 by Ustinj »

Offline flying1911

• Mechlovin' Studio
« Reply #275 on: Sun, 23 May 2021, 04:25:12 »
The only help we'll need is with winning spots, not filling them up  ;D ;D
Jane V2 | Jane CE | Jane V2 CE | Police | Kaze | KMAC 2 | BRG Haus | Sessantacinque | Ori CLS-2 FE | Dalco 959 Mini | Mechlovin' Unikorn | G81-3100 SAV | Model M SSK

Offline IHaveDowntism

« Reply #276 on: Sun, 23 May 2021, 21:54:13 »
Any chance of a hotswappable PCB?

Offline Ustinj

« Reply #277 on: Sun, 23 May 2021, 22:21:39 »
Have been asked about hotswap many times and totally forgot to include that in the FAQ - now it is there. Thanks for the reminder!

Offline cloudtastrophe

« Reply #278 on: Mon, 24 May 2021, 04:18:44 »
been following this board for so long hnnggggg

Offline tngpq

« Reply #279 on: Mon, 24 May 2021, 08:11:31 »
Any chance of a hotswappable PCB?

There is a TKL hotswap PCB project in the works which I believe is exchangeable with h88c.

Offline avp

« Reply #280 on: Mon, 24 May 2021, 08:17:02 »
Has a GB date or price been mentioned for this yet?

Offline Adqam64

« Reply #281 on: Mon, 24 May 2021, 19:09:42 »
Presumably this can be built as ISO with an appropriate PCB/plate.  Will that be supported as an option on purchase?  Will plate files be released?

Offline Ustinj

« Reply #282 on: Thu, 10 June 2021, 19:54:16 »
I received some modified test plates and I am very happy with the way they turned out. As mentioned last time, I felt that the full aluminum plate design from before was a little too forgiving and there wasn't enough variety, so I aimed to firm up the feel a bit.

In the end, here is what we have. The original 'leaf-spring' kerf-cut design was too flexible, even in a full-plate configuration. So it's been replaced with a modified top-mount, with some added relief through longer mounting arms. More flexible material plates, such as polycarbonate and polypropylene, will not have these relief arms - they will be removed in exchange for a typical top-mount. I quite like the feel of the board with this new full aluminum plate. It's got a sharp tactility and bottom out, but still has a pretty decent amount of flex due to only having 4 mounting point placed around the alphas. If we want firmer, there are stiffer materials out there...

That being said, very pleased to announce that files have been finalized and have been sent off for pre-production prototyping. When those are received, I believe we'll be able to confirm some exciting details such as group-buy dates, pricing, etc.

No confirmed date yet, hopefully we have that soon. See the above message!

Presumably this can be built as ISO with an appropriate PCB/plate.  Will that be supported as an option on purchase?  Will plate files be released?

The PCB will support ISO, but I haven't confirmed whether or not ISO compatible plates will be offered in GB yet. If not, I don't think it will be much issue to offer files for people to have their own plates made.

Offline flarros

« Reply #283 on: Thu, 10 June 2021, 21:16:12 »
The end game is about to actually exist! Been waiting on this project of yours patiently since last summer (I think?) Absolutely cannot wait. Its a true piece of art and I just hope I'm lucky enough to be able to get one!

Offline Polaroid

« Reply #284 on: Fri, 11 June 2021, 01:32:58 »
Can't wait for the GB! Hope I can get one...

Offline Ustinj

« Reply #285 on: Fri, 11 June 2021, 01:34:49 »

Quickie flex / spacebar video, full PP plate, top-mounted. Gummy worm gives a firmer typing experience.

Offline noorejji

It's good that you show the board showing some amount of bounce at the end there with what seems like a reasonable amount of force (i.e. tapping on the keys). I often find that "flexy" or "bouncy" keyboards will often require you to put your elbow on it to experience that flexy-/bouncyness, and I just don't see the point.

Offline //gainsborough

• ALPSの日常
« Reply #287 on: Fri, 11 June 2021, 11:45:39 »

Quickie flex / spacebar video, full PP plate, top-mounted. Gummy worm gives a firmer typing experience.

full brass proto!?  daaaaaaaaang.

Offline soloplayer

« Reply #288 on: Fri, 11 June 2021, 11:52:02 »

full brass proto!?  daaaaaaaaang.

nah it's brass top, by mistake lol

Offline //gainsborough

• ALPSの日常
« Reply #289 on: Fri, 11 June 2021, 12:57:29 »
oh, hahahaha.

Offline TheWonderBubble

"Cost no object" has me lowkey concerned, but this is too beautiful to not put on my watch list.  ;D I'm too new to keyboards to really have "endgames," but if I did, I think this just might be one of them.
Shhhhh...my wallet doesn't know I'm here.

Offline hayasaka

• No.
looks nice! GLWIC

Offline Devastator

My excitement is building for this one!  Hope there will be enough allocation for the UK  ;)

Offline alwaysbless

Does it feel like the keyboard is caving in each time you type with that much flex? Thats insane

Offline Ustinj

Does it feel like the keyboard is caving in each time you type with that much flex? Thats insane

No, not at all. Feels fine, but afaik this is the most flexible mounting option that'll be offered. I may have to check interest soon if half variants of plastic plates are desired.

"Cost no object" has me lowkey concerned, but this is too beautiful to not put on my watch list.  ;D I'm too new to keyboards to really have "endgames," but if I did, I think this just might be one of them.

It won't be anything that hasn't been seen before.

Offline ENG Studio

• Discord
Best looking TKL I've seen in a long time. GLWGB!

Sent from my Redmi K20 using Tapatalk

Offline TheWonderBubble

It won't be anything that hasn't been seen before.

I 200% expect it'll be worth it, at this point I'm expecting it'll be a downright steal honestly for the detail you're putting into it. I just hope that I'll have enough time to save up for it before it goes OOS.  ;D
Shhhhh...my wallet doesn't know I'm here.

Offline Ustinj

Some media. Last update was not worth noting in sound since my previous media was not using the same microphone - and of course, brass tops will not be a standard option in group buy.

Here's a quick demo of the top-mounted polypropylene plate with OP BLACK Switches. It can also be mounted in gummy-worm style for a slightly firmer / more solid feel.

Also, here is a demonstration of an aluminum FULL plate in top-mount (not the same as above example). This is more interesting since aluminum is a pretty standard plate material, but here it is paired with Cloudline's mounting points. It's got a sharper feedback and feel compared to the plastic plates, but you can still bottom out the PCB if you press hard enough.

« Last Edit: Sun, 20 June 2021, 20:21:20 by Ustinj »

Offline hpetrovski

• Osum
Re: [IC] Cloudline - 88% F13 WKL TKL | Aluminum Full Plate DEMO
« Reply #298 on: Tue, 06 July 2021, 04:53:04 »
Red looks nuts, definitely keeping an eye on this one. Good luck with prototyping!

Offline maximm

« Reply #299 on: Wed, 07 July 2021, 10:19:22 »
I received some modified test plates and I am very happy with the way they turned out. As mentioned last time, I felt that the full aluminum plate design from before was a little too forgiving and there wasn't enough variety, so I aimed to firm up the feel a bit.

Show Image

In the end, here is what we have. The original 'leaf-spring' kerf-cut design was too flexible, even in a full-plate configuration. So it's been replaced with a modified top-mount, with some added relief through longer mounting arms. More flexible material plates, such as polycarbonate and polypropylene, will not have these relief arms - they will be removed in exchange for a typical top-mount. I quite like the feel of the board with this new full aluminum plate. It's got a sharp tactility and bottom out, but still has a pretty decent amount of flex due to only having 4 mounting point placed around the alphas. If we want firmer, there are stiffer materials out there...

That being said, very pleased to announce that files have been finalized and have been sent off for pre-production prototyping. When those are received, I believe we'll be able to confirm some exciting details such as group-buy dates, pricing, etc.

No confirmed date yet, hopefully we have that soon. See the above message!

The PCB will support ISO, but I haven't confirmed whether or not ISO compatible plates will be offered in GB yet. If not, I don't think it will be much issue to offer files for people to have their own plates made.

Please please please offer ISO plates!