Author Topic: [GB] Lumberjack PCB - Extras Available  (Read 43216 times)

Offline peej

• I'm a lumberjack and I'm okay
[GB] Lumberjack PCB - Extras Available
« on: Mon, 15 March 2021, 03:18:46 »

Group Buy Closed

Thanks to everyone for the huge support.

We've had to close the GB a week early due to the huge support we've had. I felt it was better to limit the number now rather than suffer with being able to deliver later. I hope everyone understands.

Through-hole 5x12 ortholinear PCB for 60% tray mount case

* Ortholinear PCB for 60% tray mount cases
* Designed to be easy to build with minimal soldering experience.
* All through-hole components, no SMD soldering required.
* Get that visible component aesthetic in a standard 60% tray-mount case.
* 5x12 (split Preonic) layout, full grid or 2x2u spacebars
* Supports both USB Mini and USB-C.
* Plateless or with FR4 switch plates.
* $22USD / €18EUR + shipping

I love my Planck's layout but just sometimes wish I had a numrow...
...and I love my Plaid's through-hole aesthetic but just sometimes wish it had a more premium feel...
...and I love my Let's Split's more comfortable ergonomics but just sometimes I find the having separate halves inconvenient.

And so the Lumberjack PCB was born. Through-hole visible component aesthetic, DIY build it yourself fun, standard 60% case support, split ortholinear layout.

More info: https://github.com/peej/lumberjack-keyboard
Geekhack IC thread: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=110835.0

Group Buy details:

* Group Buy open until 28th March
* Paypal invoices will be sent after that date for non-NA orders
* Kit production time expected to take 8 weeks after all invoices are paid
* USB-C connector and FR4 plates are an optional extra
* Microcontroller will be pre-flashed by myself with a bootloader and QMK firmware
* Kits will be shipped via PostNL from The Netherlands or from ThocKeys in Massachusetts
* Delivery times are expected to be long due to Covid, I'm expecting to have kits complete and ready for shipping in June
* Weekly updates on progress in the Geekhack GB thread
* Detailed build guide will be updated with images once I've built a test PCB from the production run: https://github.com/peej/lumberjack-keyboard/blob/master/guide.md

Thanks for your support!
Any questions, drop 'em below.
« Last Edit: Wed, 30 June 2021, 11:02:19 by peej »

Offline ravermeister

Do you get both connectors, if you decide to upgrade to type c?

Offline peej

Do you get both connectors, if you decide to upgrade to type c?

Yes, the kit will come with the mini USB connector even if you choose the USB-C add-on. The PCB supports both.

TBH I soldered my first USB-C in testing for this project and it wasn't anywhere near as difficult as I'd expected.

Offline anatworkaccount

I am not a smart man, will this work with any 60% tray mount case, like the bumper for example?

Offline peej

I am not a smart man, will this work with any 60% tray mount case, like the bumper for example?

It is designed to the same specs as the GH60, so it should fit any tray mount 60% case. Something to be aware of however i that it will only use 3 of the 6 mounting posts due to the switch positions which may or may not be an issue.

With a 4 mounting post case like the Bumper, you could find that without the middle post or supports around the edge of the case, the PCB wants to pivot downwards at the front. The PCB has only been tested in 6 post cases. You could of course fill the case with foam to add support to the PCB.

Offline ee

• hi
ok this is epic

Offline joedinkle

• Eye Oh Designs
    • Eye Oh Designs
This looks great. GLWGB!

Vixen

Offline chalcocabana

• That's one bad bird.
    • Twitch
Looks awesome. Bought or whatever the word is
I don't know zip and I'll die a fool.

Offline Joaquox

I'm just trying to mentally figure out how I'm going to adapt the Prophet ortho grid plate to this.. It shouldn't be that hard, right?

EDIT: I got it! I'll just have it cut from transparent PET and remove the holes in the middle. I'm in!
« Last Edit: Tue, 16 March 2021, 02:50:46 by Joaquox »

Offline DeMechanica

This is siiiiick! I’m so in. I’m going to have such a whacky collection.

Offline Baka Bot

So ****ing lit

Offline GEIST

• schwarzgrau
Damn! That's an impertinent fair price!

Offline Alejo1707

• Gimme some more caps!
Mate, the FR4 plate option does not relate to the switch plate, but rather the bottom right? So if I'm getting a case I wouldn't need it.

Offline patcoll

• !40s
I’m in

Offline NoAh_1228

Does the PCB support VIA or only QMK?

Offline peej

Mate, the FR4 plate option does not relate to the switch plate, but rather the bottom right? So if I'm getting a case I wouldn't need it.

Sorry I should have made it clearer. The FR4 plate is a switch plate not a case bottom. If you don't want a plateless board and want a cheap option for a switch plate, this is for you.

Offline peej

Does the PCB support VIA or only QMK?

The PCB will come with a default QMK keymap but there will hopefully be a VIA keymap and support within VIA. I'm not a VIA user myself so there is some learning I must do to make this happen.

Offline qeebored

Nice. I'm in.  :thumb:

Have you considered to add soldering pads for hot-swap sockets, or holes for alps switches?

Offline Alejo1707

• Gimme some more caps!

Sorry I should have made it clearer. The FR4 plate is a switch plate not a case bottom. If you don't want a plateless board and want a cheap option for a switch plate, this is for you.
TYVM

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

Offline horrorshow93

Sigh, GB is closed in US. I hope I can make it into a R2!

Congratulations!

Offline peej

I'm sorry to those who haven't joined yet, but we're closing the GB early due to overwhelming support. I need to ensure that I can deliver these kits in a sensible timeframe, it's just me bagging up components after all.

Thanks to everyone who's decided to join us for the ride!

You can keep up to date on GB progress here in this thread.

Non US/Canada people can expect Paypal invoices to appear in your inboxes soonish (look at that we're already ahead of schedule).

Offline DerBonk

• I'm just this guy, you know.

Congrats on the successful GB! I hope people aren't getting mean because you had to close the GB early.

The PCB will come with a default QMK keymap but there will hopefully be a VIA keymap and support within VIA. I'm not a VIA user myself so there is some learning I must do to make this happen.

I ported the Sofle to VIA last year, so I have some experience. Feel free to hit me up if you have any questions about porting the Lumberjack to VIA.

Offline Deviculus

Re: [GB] Lumberjack PCB - GB CLOSED
« Reply #22 on: Wed, 17 March 2021, 09:44:33 »
I'm so glad I didn't decide to wait a few days before joining. For the others that didn't get to make it, and those that wanna make another one in the future, I hope there'll be a round two if you feel up for it. Good luck with packing all of the orders, and congrats on the successful GB!

Offline chalcocabana

• That's one bad bird.
    • Twitch
« Reply #23 on: Wed, 17 March 2021, 09:58:10 »
gz on the gb!

Offline Alejo1707

• Gimme some more caps!
« Reply #24 on: Wed, 17 March 2021, 10:22:08 »
Nooooo! I could not buy it! Fk!

Was deciding on the colors, didn't know there was a limited stock

Offline peej

« Reply #25 on: Wed, 17 March 2021, 11:05:43 »
Nooooo! I could not buy it! Fk!

Was deciding on the colors, didn't know there was a limited stock

I'm really sorry. There wasn't a plan to have a limit, but in hindsight I probably should have. I was hoping to reach somewhere near 100 kits, but we reached 150 in 3 days and I don't want to jeopardise the GB by over committing.

The design is open source and I expect there might be vendors in the future who might want to stock this kit since it's basically the same components as a Plaid or Romeo.

Offline Alejo1707

• Gimme some more caps!
« Reply #26 on: Wed, 17 March 2021, 11:47:01 »

Wish it were that simple, I live in South America, so obtaining even the components is challenging.

Guess I'll have to wait for a round 2

Love your design and congrats on the successful GB!

Offline guill3m

• Shut up and take my money
« Reply #27 on: Wed, 17 March 2021, 14:11:56 »
Damn, I blinked and missed it.
Congrats on a successful GB then!

I will keep an eye in case any vendors stock the kit or you run a second round in the future.

Offline delvix

« Reply #28 on: Wed, 17 March 2021, 14:28:28 »
Ah damn I missed it as well. Was really looking forward to putting one together, hopefully round 2 comes along soon! Congrats on a successful GB

Offline Shortened

« Reply #29 on: Wed, 17 March 2021, 14:34:45 »
Unfortunately missed out on this round, hopefully you're able to get a round 2 going.

Congratulations on a successful group buy!

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Offline whirlwind

« Reply #30 on: Wed, 17 March 2021, 14:43:40 »
Congrats on the GB, so glad this was successful!

Offline bdju

« Reply #31 on: Wed, 17 March 2021, 21:28:18 »
Heard about this too late. Would have loved to replace an old Pok3r PCB with it. Hoping for R2.
libre lad

Offline Funktion

« Reply #32 on: Wed, 17 March 2021, 22:27:04 »
Missed it... Damn

Offline peej

« Reply #33 on: Thu, 18 March 2021, 03:28:32 »
Hi all, a quick update from yesterday.

Unfortunately we had to close the GB early due to the sudden amount of orders. I know this is not great for people who missed out and I sincerely apologise, it's not great being told you have 2 weeks only to find out that you missed the boat.

We originally decided that if we could reach an MOQ of 100 kits this would be the sweet spot between price and actually being able to fulfil the orders in a sensible timeframe. The IC showed that we were about 60/40 split between the US to ROW. When Tim @ ThocKeys messaged yesterday to say he was at 70 orders and ROW was already at 45, we decided to see how fast the next 10 orders came in and see if things were slowing down. They didn't. So we had to make a quick decision or risk jeopardising the whole GB.

In hindsight, we could probably have predicted this and handled it better. Mark that down as a lesson learnt.

After counting up, we have 150 kits ordered (82 US / 68 ROW).

I'd like to thank everyone for their support.

Offline Nutty

• Twitch
« Reply #34 on: Thu, 18 March 2021, 16:46:38 »
Is there any plan reopen at a later date or another run? I was planning to purchase but I see I was too late due to the early closure of the GB  :(

Offline YoungTerror

« Reply #35 on: Thu, 18 March 2021, 19:02:40 »
Is there any plan reopen at a later date or another run? I was planning to purchase but I see I was too late due to the early closure of the GB  :(

+1. I'm hoping for another run in the future.

Offline thirstforburst

« Reply #36 on: Thu, 18 March 2021, 20:01:28 »

+1. I'm hoping for another run in the future.

seconded  :thumb:

Offline DerBonk

« Reply #37 on: Fri, 19 March 2021, 04:27:42 »
I ordered two, which seems unfair to me in hindsight, when clearly there are a lot of people who could not get a kit. I'd be willing to sell one of the kits to someone else at cost. So, if you are in the EU and don't mind paying for shipping from me to you after I have received the kits, send me a pm. I would prefer to ship within Germany, but if no one from Germany is interested, I can ship to elsewhere in the EU.

Edit: The spare kit has been claimed.
« Last Edit: Sun, 21 March 2021, 13:27:50 by DerBonk »

Offline GEIST

• schwarzgrau
« Reply #38 on: Fri, 19 March 2021, 09:40:18 »
That's a really nice move! I would love to buy it from you.

Offline DerBonk

« Reply #39 on: Fri, 19 March 2021, 10:49:17 »
That's a really nice move! I would love to buy it from you.

Sure! I have sent you a pm.

Offline peej

« Reply #40 on: Sun, 21 March 2021, 13:15:16 »
Sunday feels like a good day of the week for updates.

Non-ThocKeys orders have all been sent PayPal invoices this weekend, thanks to everyone who has already paid.

I've been playing with Via and am pleased to say I'm a convert, so the MCU will come with a Via enabled firmware.

Lots of people have been asking about if we'll reopen for more orders or about an R2 already due to the limitations on numbers. We won't be accepting more orders for this round, sorry, but there will probably be some extras once everything is shipped and I do want to encourage vendors of through-hole kits to stock the PCB.

Oh and big props to DerBonk for offering to pass on his 2nd kit to someone else.

Thanks again for all the support.

Offline Deviculus

« Reply #41 on: Sun, 21 March 2021, 13:42:23 »
Any ideas for cases and keycap sets that might help accentuate the pcb window? So far I'm considering the MT3 susuwatari paired with a black tofu, or possibly the blue and white MT3 set paired with the ultramarine klippe.

Offline peej

« Reply #42 on: Fri, 26 March 2021, 04:12:53 »
Any ideas for cases and keycap sets that might help accentuate the pcb window? So far I'm considering the MT3 susuwatari paired with a black tofu, or possibly the blue and white MT3 set paired with the ultramarine klippe.

I love my Tofu, it's a great case for a great price. Paired with Susuwatari sounds like a good combination.

Personally I'm hoping to get a Klippe T in the upcoming Mekanisk preorder, not decided on a colour yet.

Offline Extra Fox

• quis qui sais
« Reply #43 on: Fri, 26 March 2021, 11:52:29 »
I bought a wooden tray. Because Lumberjack!
It's really nice looking too, so I can't wait to get my hands on the board.
A-a-ron

Offline peej

« Reply #44 on: Sun, 28 March 2021, 06:34:40 »
Weekly update, it's been a busy one.

• Orders and monies have been received from ThocKeys.
  • Most PayPal invoices have been paid, thanks everyone. I will start chasing the last few next week.
  • Coloured PCBs did less favourably than I'd expected, so if you've ordered a red or blue you can feel special in that there will only be 20 of each from this GB.
  • I placed orders for components and PCBs on Friday.
  • PCBs are in manufacturing, that was one big scary order. Hats off to the JLCPCB support for double checking the orders with me before okaying for production.
  • MCUs and USB-C connectors are in transit from DigiKey, hopefully I can get started on flashing the MCUs as soon as they arrive.
  • I tested the flashing process again on a spare blank MCU I have, everything works with the flash and the production bootloader image including the VIA enabled QMK firmware.
  • Pull request for adding the board to QMK is approved but awaiting merging https://github.com/qmk/qmk_firmware/pull/12124

Have a great week everyone.

Offline tiramichu

« Reply #45 on: Tue, 30 March 2021, 12:20:55 »
I tested the flashing process again on a spare blank MCU I have, everything works with the flash and the production bootloader image including the VIA enabled QMK firmware.
Thanks for the update, personally I really appreciate the VIA support =)

Offline peej

« Reply #46 on: Sun, 04 April 2021, 03:39:34 »
Weekly update for April 4th.

* MCUs arrived, I wanted to get to flashing them straight away as I thought it would take a long time, but I managed to power through it this week, so all 200 MCUs are flash and ready.
* Diodes also arrived, they are sorted and split up for packing. Decided to give each kit an extra 2 diodes "just in case".
* USB-C connectors arrived from DigiKey, unfortunately they didn't ship enough, the bag labelled 200 only had 152 in it. A quick call to them and the remaining are in the mail.
* Other components are still on route, they'll get sorted as and when they arrive.
* PCBs have been manufactured and are in the mail, should be with me on Tuesday. I'm hoping to build up a test board this week.
* QMK and VIA PRs got merged this weekend, so the software side is all set.

Offline DerBonk

Re: [GB] Lumberjack PCB - In Production
« Reply #47 on: Sun, 04 April 2021, 13:36:25 »
Fantastic work. Thanks a bunch for updating the thread.

Offline Extra Fox

• quis qui sais
« Reply #48 on: Sun, 04 April 2021, 18:47:33 »
Indeed, very much appreciated.
A-a-ron

Offline NihonCK

« Reply #49 on: Mon, 05 April 2021, 00:52:09 »
Anywhere I can subscribe for possible r2 or left over stock about this PCB? I don't always check this forum and really am interested in picking up a PCB sometime.

Offline sleezy91

« Reply #50 on: Mon, 05 April 2021, 14:08:39 »
looking forward to build this keyboard!
to improve my 3d and render skills, i used the lumberjack as a test piece today:

Offline peej

« Reply #51 on: Wed, 07 April 2021, 10:53:44 »
Anywhere I can subscribe for possible r2 or left over stock about this PCB? I don't always check this forum and really am interested in picking up a PCB sometime.

Not sure what post GB plans are but there will be extras and probably other stuff.

I've put up a form for if you want to be emailed when there is news: https://forms.gle/AuwkYoE6p6PvZoRX9

Offline peej

« Reply #52 on: Wed, 07 April 2021, 10:56:30 »
to improve my 3d and render skills, i used the lumberjack as a test piece today:

Wow, that is so cool, nice.

Offline Deviculus

« Reply #53 on: Wed, 07 April 2021, 13:24:23 »

Now I feel like I should have gotten the white pcb. Was planning on having an all black setup, but the contrast of the pcb with the case and keycaps in the render looks great.

Offline NihonCK

« Reply #54 on: Wed, 07 April 2021, 21:44:15 »

Not sure what post GB plans are but there will be extras and probably other stuff.

I've put up a form for if you want to be emailed when there is news: https://forms.gle/AuwkYoE6p6PvZoRX9

Thank you very much! I was following the github recently for this and had plans to order a PCB. Just dont always check this forum as often as I should

Offline AdisaFolami

« Reply #55 on: Sat, 10 April 2021, 03:39:54 »
« Last Edit: Sat, 10 April 2021, 18:39:08 by AdisaFolami »

Offline peej

« Reply #56 on: Sun, 11 April 2021, 04:51:38 »
A busy week this week with good news and bad news.

Let's start with the bad.

The PCBs arrived on Tuesday and I soon realised that I'd somehow ordered some boards with the non-USB-C design. You order PCBs in batches of a certain number, so to get the numbers we need in each colour, I needed to order multiple batches. To save from uploading the gerbers over and over for each batch, you can select the pre-uploaded file from a menu. It seems that this pre-uploaded one was actually from a previous upload before I'd added the USB-C. Totally my fault, I should have triple checked the IDs on the gerber upload.

A second order with JLCPCB has been placed to correct the error and since we're ahead anyway, shouldn't affect delivery time.

Now the good news.

I built up one of the USB-C PCBs and tested it, everything worked first time, so very happy about that. It's really nice to plug everything in and see VIA popup recognising the Lumberjack.

I've updated the build guide with images from the test build https://github.com/peej/lumberjack-keyboard/blob/master/guide.md

The FR4 plates are good, I've done a test fit and they add a nice amount of sturdiness to the PCB.

Acrylic covers have been ordered and are due to arrive in a few weeks.

Most components have arrived:
  • I am short some micro-switches so I've ordered more.
  • The big capacitors are on backorder, so I'm waiting on them until I can start bagging up.
  • I also waiting on screws and standoffs from China.

There will be plenty of non-USB-C kits available as extras, I'll probably be stuck selling these for many months to come or I'll have to make a space in the back of the closet for them.

I've created Google form for people who want to be informed when extras become available https://forms.gle/AuwkYoE6p6PvZoRX9

Thanks again for your support, have a nice week.
« Last Edit: Sun, 11 April 2021, 12:07:53 by peej »

Offline chalcocabana

• That's one bad bird.
    • Twitch
« Reply #57 on: Sun, 11 April 2021, 13:28:26 »
These updates are awesome. Love the new build guide too! I am just starting out with soldering and working with electrical components. Looking forward to putting this together!

Offline DerBonk

« Reply #58 on: Sun, 11 April 2021, 14:55:59 »
Thanks again for keeping us so well informed. Very sorry about the mix up, hope you can sell these extras quick enough. I, for one, am fine with just USB mini and will look out for the extras.

Offline nathanrosspowell

• * Destiny Supporter
    • nathanrosspowell.com
« Reply #59 on: Sun, 11 April 2021, 19:13:06 »
Thanks again for keeping us so well informed. Very sorry about the mix up, hope you can sell these extras quick enough. I, for one, am fine with just USB mini and will look out for the extras.

Same, missed this GB before but its very cool and seems to be in good hands.

Offline peej

« Reply #60 on: Sun, 18 April 2021, 12:56:05 »
Another weekly update and not much to report.

* 2nd order of PCBs has been shipped, expecting them next week.
* Spoken with the laser cutter and the files have been verified and are in the queue for the laser.
* Still waiting on the big capacitors to arrive and the cover fixing hardware.

I've started bagging up without the capacitors, you've gotta have a system right?

Remember, if you missed out and want to be informed about extras, go here https://forms.gle/AuwkYoE6p6PvZoRX9

Until next week.

Offline bdju

« Reply #61 on: Sun, 18 April 2021, 14:30:28 »
I love the colorful bowls. It's like electronics cereal.
libre lad

Offline Alejo1707

• Gimme some more caps!
« Reply #62 on: Sun, 18 April 2021, 14:54:03 »
Gotta say, I love how you keep updates so consistent!

Offline chalcocabana

• That's one bad bird.
    • Twitch
« Reply #63 on: Tue, 20 April 2021, 22:39:22 »
Should not have made this my first gb. These consistent and thorough updates have ruined any other group buy experience for me lmao

Offline peej

« Reply #64 on: Sun, 25 April 2021, 06:51:06 »
Not too much to report this week, basically waiting on things to arrive.

* Acrylic covers are on the way, should arrive on Wednesday.
* PCBs have cleared customs and should arrive on Thursday.
* The first 100 kits of components have been bagged up without the big capacitor or fixing hardware both of which should be arriving soon.
* The microswitches I forgot to order for the remaining kits should also be arriving soon.

Offline chalcocabana

• That's one bad bird.
    • Twitch
« Reply #65 on: Sun, 25 April 2021, 11:03:42 »
 :thumb:

Offline Extra Fox

• quis qui sais
« Reply #66 on: Sun, 25 April 2021, 18:21:55 »
Got my tray and the keycaps ready and waiting!
A-a-ron

Offline peej

« Reply #67 on: Sun, 02 May 2021, 02:57:07 »
Quick weekly update.

* Remaining PCBs arrived, all present and correct.
* Acrylic covers also arrived from the laser cutter, counted and QC'd, everything is good, my room now stinks of cut acrylic.
* Extra microswitches and hardware fixings also arrived.
* All component baggies have all been packed except for the big capacitors and the MCUs.
* I'm still waiting for the capacitors, they are somewhere in the postal system so I expect them any day, there's been some hold ups here due to the holidays.
* MCUs are not packed as I decided to be extra safe and bag them up in ikkle anti-static bags, ikkle baggies are again somewhere in the postal system.

It's going to take me a while to get through all the orders, so I will probably send them as I finish them rather than waiting until they are all done.

Sorry things are taking a little longer than I'd expected, but we're still on schedule for having everything shipped before the end of the month.

Offline chalcocabana

• That's one bad bird.
    • Twitch
« Reply #68 on: Sun, 02 May 2021, 09:54:41 »
Tyty for the update

Offline Aiwanei

• ThocKeys.com
« Reply #69 on: Sun, 02 May 2021, 10:05:34 »
Your updates on this thread have been great, looking forward to these shipping.
ThocKeys.com

Offline Extra Fox

• quis qui sais
« Reply #70 on: Sun, 02 May 2021, 21:32:41 »
Got my keycaps, switches, and case ready and waiting!  :thumb:
A-a-ron

Offline peej

« Reply #71 on: Mon, 03 May 2021, 02:11:08 »
Got my keycaps, switches, and case ready and waiting!  :thumb:

You need to share what you're planning, I can't wait to see everyone's builds.

Offline Deviculus

« Reply #72 on: Mon, 03 May 2021, 02:54:23 »
My plan is to go for a walnut wood tray case, milky top black switches, and then go for some MT3 Camillo for the caps. Was considering DSS Harvest, but I'll hold back this time hahaha

Offline Extra Fox

• quis qui sais
« Reply #73 on: Mon, 03 May 2021, 13:01:22 »
You need to share what you're planning, I can't wait to see everyone's builds.
I will absolutely do that, but I want to share when it's done only because I'm not 100% confident what I had in mind will work or not, and I have a Plan B. 

Let's just say that at this point, I'm really digging into the forest theme.
A-a-ron

Offline DeMechanica

« Reply #74 on: Tue, 04 May 2021, 06:51:18 »
Thanks so much for the quality updates!

Offline Keloran

« Reply #75 on: Fri, 07 May 2021, 14:26:29 »
im doing bamboo case, with national park keycaps, and full milk gateron yellows, and a custom green cable

basiclly wood theme, would go mx brown but not a fan really

Offline peej

« Reply #76 on: Sun, 09 May 2021, 05:15:36 »
Another weekly update.

The big capacitors are still MIA, so I've sourced a local supplier and they should be arriving this week, hopefully that means the rest of the kits can be finished next weekend.

Now the good news. I had 18 big capacitors from prototyping, so 18 kits have been packaged and went out yesterday. I prioritised non-EU/ThocKeys orders as they are the most complex (customs forms) and will take the longest to arrive. Any questions, gimme a shout (peejeh#8426).
I've added the shipment codes into Paypal so you may get an email with tracking info, whether it actually shows you anything useful is another question.

We're getting there, not long now.

Offline Extra Fox

• quis qui sais
« Reply #77 on: Sun, 09 May 2021, 15:52:45 »
Oh man, I'm super excited! Thank you for the update.
A-a-ron

Offline DerBonk

« Reply #78 on: Mon, 10 May 2021, 06:29:45 »
I just got a wooden case in, the typical wood 60% out of Walnut and it is surprisingly nice. Will probably go with white blanks in NP profile, because that's what I currently have at hand. Really excited to build this board!

Offline geewiz

« Reply #79 on: Mon, 10 May 2021, 14:20:03 »
I just got a wooden case in, the typical wood 60% out of Walnut and it is surprisingly nice.

Great minds!

Offline Deviculus

« Reply #80 on: Tue, 11 May 2021, 05:12:25 »
I feel that we'll get a lot of matching cases, and just different keycaps hahaha

Offline Barri

• Praise the Lord of Bones
« Reply #81 on: Wed, 12 May 2021, 12:10:47 »
I have two lumberjack builds planned so far  ;)

First one using:

KBDFans Black 5° 60% aluminum case
Nightwalker Solaris switches housings with Gazzew silver stems
KAT Cyberspace keycaps eventually to be replaced with KAM superuser

Second build:

Licit Mk2 Brass case 1 of 20
Licit custom plate for Lumberjack 1 of 1
probably Tangies with gazzew silver stems
not sure on keycaps yet.

click more for pictures
More
Licit Mk2 Brass case

Licit Lumberjack x Mk2 Brass plate

Anyways, I'll post pics when I build them. Until then I'm impatiently waiting.  :))
« Last Edit: Wed, 12 May 2021, 12:42:14 by Barri »

Offline peej

« Reply #82 on: Sun, 16 May 2021, 02:17:38 »
Licit Mk2 Brass case 1 of 20
Licit custom plate for Lumberjack 1 of 1
probably Tangies with gazzew silver stems
not sure on keycaps yet.

Wow, that case looks amazing.

Offline peej

« Reply #83 on: Sun, 16 May 2021, 02:37:45 »
Update time.

The big capacitors arrived as expected and all kits have been finished.
The US proxy orders were packaged up and UPS picked them up on Friday, they should be arriving with ThocKeys midweek depending.
The second batch of kits was sent yesterday and the rest of the EU orders have been packed, labelled, and are ready to go to the post office tomorrow (they are closed on Sunday).

Hopefully by this time next week some of you will have your kits, really looking forward to seeing your builds.
If there are any issues or you have any questions, please reach out via Discord.

Once all the kits are received we'll start to think about extras.

Offline DerBonk

Re: [GB] Lumberjack PCB - Now Shipping
« Reply #84 on: Sun, 16 May 2021, 13:50:04 »
Wonderful! That means I gotta get to lubing my switches. Thanks again for the updates and quick turn around!

Offline Joaquox

« Reply #85 on: Mon, 17 May 2021, 01:53:56 »
I forgot to place an order with the laser cutter, so I don't have the plate yet. Did it as soon as I got the tracking number, that was a very good reminder  ;D

Offline Aiwanei

• ThocKeys.com
« Reply #86 on: Mon, 17 May 2021, 13:33:25 »
Hello, this is Tim from ThocKeys. It looks like these will arrive to me on Friday. As soon as I receive them and do a QC pass, I'll start packing them up to ship out to the GB buyers.
ThocKeys.com

Offline Joaquox

« Reply #87 on: Tue, 18 May 2021, 09:13:41 »
I somehow do not believe this is what Max imagined when he designed the Prophet....

Offline doxzax

« Reply #88 on: Tue, 18 May 2021, 09:19:29 »
This is a really cool project. I love seeing these.  ;D

Offline peej

« Reply #89 on: Sun, 23 May 2021, 05:02:54 »
Another update for those still following along.

ThocKeys orders arrived with Aiwanei in the US on Friday. All remaining EU orders were packed and sent on Tuesday, so depending on your location they should start turning up in your mailbox.

I had a message yesterday from one of you who'd received his kits only to find out that the rear USB-C foot holes had not been correctly drilled on his black PCBs. I'd unfortunately missed this when packing. The rear foot isn't strictly needed to secure the USB port as it has 4 feet and 2 is enough, but some modification of the port feet or the board would be required to make it work. Hopefully this is a one of manufacturing error on just these boards, but if you are planning on using USB-C, please check your PCB when it arrives and give me a shout (peejeh#8426) if there is an issue and we can figure it out.

Offline Keybard

« Reply #90 on: Tue, 25 May 2021, 08:03:35 »
Decided it was time to make an account after lurking for some 2+ years.
PCB arrived today, and it looks super clean! Thank you for running this :D

Offline peej

« Reply #91 on: Wed, 26 May 2021, 09:20:36 »
Decided it was time to make an account after lurking for some 2+ years.
PCB arrived today, and it looks super clean! Thank you for running this :D

Nice, thanks for the support and for letting me know you received it in one piece, it's kinda of strange sending these off into the ether and hoping they get to where they should. I look forward to the pictures of your build.

Offline kioskhill45

« Reply #92 on: Thu, 27 May 2021, 20:16:23 »
Just finished the components and it works! Thanks so much for the clear assembly guide, I'm so happy my first through hole was successful.
269309-0

Offline menuhin

« Reply #93 on: Fri, 28 May 2021, 09:32:14 »
Is there enough space to place an LCD display unit in the middle?
Wishlist: 1) nice thick Alps caps; 2) Cherry profile POM;
More
Wishful-list: 1) We order from keyboard-layout-editor.com; 2) usable Trackpoint module for all keyboards
IBM M13 black
NeXT non-ADB keyboard (AAE)
HHKB Pro 2 HasuBT
[~90WPM, in love with Emacs, and Lisp]

Offline peej

« Reply #94 on: Sun, 30 May 2021, 06:59:52 »
Is there enough space to place an LCD display unit in the middle?

If you rearranged the components a bit you could probably fit an OLED across the top in place of the LEDs. The I2C pins on the MCU are used for the LEDs, so to control the OLED you'd need to forgo the LEDs anyway.

Offline peej

« Reply #95 on: Sun, 30 May 2021, 07:00:16 »
Another Sunday, another update.

Kits have gradually been turning up in people's mailboxes, it's nice to get word from people that they've received their kit. Please send me pics of your builds, I'll start:

The same white Tofu case but this time with a blue PCB, pink Bobagum switches and GMK Dark.

For those of your still waiting for your order to arrive, remember, the real hobby is waiting.

Hopefully it won't be much longer, I think I confused some people by adding the postage order numbers to the Paypal invoices, these are not tracking codes. Postage has definitely taking longer than PostNL specify, I think this is due to a combination of Covid just making everything take longer and the fact that we've just been through spring holiday season here in the Netherlands where every other weekend has a holiday of some kind for some reason or another.

For those waiting for extras, there will be 20 extra kits available once everyone's GB orders have been received, ensure you have joined the mailing list. And following that there will be more kits as I get parts in to complete kits for the remaining PCBs I have, I'm not sure if this will be in the form of a mini group buy or as in stock items.

Enjoy your week/keyboards everyone.

Offline Alejo1707

• Gimme some more caps!
« Reply #96 on: Sun, 30 May 2021, 07:26:53 »
Another Sunday, another update.

Kits have gradually been turning up in people's mailboxes, it's nice to get word from people that they've received their kit. Please send me pics of your builds, I'll start:

Show Image

The same white Tofu case but this time with a blue PCB, pink Bobagum switches and GMK Dark.

For those of your still waiting for your order to arrive, remember, the real hobby is waiting.

Hopefully it won't be much longer, I think I confused some people by adding the postage order numbers to the Paypal invoices, these are not tracking codes. Postage has definitely taking longer than PostNL specify, I think this is due to a combination of Covid just making everything take longer and the fact that we've just been through spring holiday season here in the Netherlands where every other weekend has a holiday of some kind for some reason or another.

For those waiting for extras, there will be 20 extra kits available once everyone's GB orders have been received, ensure you have joined the mailing list. And following that there will be more kits as I get parts in to complete kits for the remaining PCBs I have, I'm not sure if this will be in the form of a mini group buy or as in stock items.

Enjoy your week/keyboards everyone.
Beautiful keeb, optional OLED support, AND in-stock PCBs (hopefully), what else can we ask mate!

Offline Aiwanei

• ThocKeys.com
« Reply #97 on: Tue, 01 June 2021, 13:33:42 »
I just wanted to confirm that all orders from ThocKeys have gone out as of last week. Also if you ordered usb-c, it's in a separate baggy with its resistors, not with the other components. Looking forward to seeing builds of these in the wild.
ThocKeys.com

Offline Extra Fox

• quis qui sais
« Reply #98 on: Tue, 01 June 2021, 17:06:30 »
West-est Coast United States reporting in, the board arrived today!  :thumb:
A-a-ron

Offline Joaquox

« Reply #99 on: Thu, 03 June 2021, 05:36:17 »
Got a big package in the mail right now!  :thumb:

Offline Extra Fox

• quis qui sais
« Reply #100 on: Thu, 03 June 2021, 10:12:18 »
Kits have gradually been turning up in people's mailboxes, it's nice to get word from people that they've received their kit.
Hi @Peej,
The link to the extras form is broken and it turns out I'm going to need an extra black PCB.
I planned my build around a black PCB, not remembering that I had actually ordered white for some reason.  :-[
Thanks!
« Last Edit: Thu, 03 June 2021, 12:09:50 by Extra Fox »
A-a-ron

Offline Joaquox

« Reply #101 on: Thu, 03 June 2021, 11:54:25 »

This might actually work!  ;D

Offline peej

« Reply #102 on: Thu, 03 June 2021, 13:23:51 »
The link to the extras form is broken and it turns out I'm going to need an extra black PCB.

The mailing list signup form for extras is here, let me know if it's not working for you, I decided to switch away from a Google form cos I wanted people to be able to unsubscribe.

Offline peej

« Reply #103 on: Thu, 03 June 2021, 13:25:33 »

Nice. How does the mounting on the Prophet work? Is the plate attached to the case somehow?

Offline Extra Fox

• quis qui sais
« Reply #104 on: Thu, 03 June 2021, 14:36:45 »

The mailing list signup form for extras is here, let me know if it's not working for you, I decided to switch away from a Google form cos I wanted people to be able to unsubscribe.
Yeah buddy! Signed up. Now, we wait.
A-a-ron

Offline Joaquox

« Reply #105 on: Thu, 03 June 2021, 14:41:02 »

Nice. How does the mounting on the Prophet work? Is the plate attached to the case somehow?
Yeah, the plate is mounted with pins in the corner, so there's no downward pressure on it!

Speedbuilt one of the PCBs, instructions were great!

Offline Joaquox

« Reply #106 on: Fri, 04 June 2021, 12:08:12 »

Offline sleezy91

« Reply #107 on: Fri, 04 June 2021, 17:02:17 »
this is my first custom build and i'm in love! i had no experience in building mk's but this layout dragged me so quick into the hobby. i wanted to have a full custom build, so i was interested in building my own case. peejeh was very patient on discord explaining me what a 60% layout is etc. and told me about kicad. this resulted in an own designed pcb for all the keys i thought i would miss (the numpad on the picture).  i'm so happy with the build, how it looks, how it feels , how it sounds.

Thanks!!

269814-0

269816-1

269818-2

Offline augrym

« Reply #108 on: Sat, 05 June 2021, 15:33:48 »
Thank you for the awesome design and group buy!

I‘ve built the board as described and checked the usb c connector pads with a mulitmeter, nothing unexpected noticed. When connecting the board via usbc to an usb c port I cant set the board in flash mode for qmk toolbox and don‘t get any keyboard input. I don‘t have another computer handy until monday, any further ideas?

I‘ve built several disciplines before so I have some expierience. Components have the right orientation, no white smoke 😅

Offline klamchops

« Reply #109 on: Sat, 05 June 2021, 19:39:17 »
I am also having issues with my board. Using the USB Mini port and can't get my computer to recognize it after plugging it in, and no keys are registering on Switch Hitter. I've checked the soldering on all of the components and nothing looks out of the ordinary. Any advice on what to do would be appreciated!

Offline augrym

« Reply #110 on: Sat, 05 June 2021, 23:47:07 »
Maybe I (we?) happen to have gotten an mcu without flashed bootloader?
Handling so many chips alone I can imagine that you accidentally skip one or another getting interrupted.
I tried two mcus so far (ordered two sets) and both didn‘t work.

I could try reflashing the bootloader and firmware tonight. First I have to solder the headers though, I skipped them for aesthetic reasons  ;D

Offline peej

« Reply #111 on: Sun, 06 June 2021, 02:51:14 »
Maybe I (we?) happen to have gotten an mcu without flashed bootloader?
Handling so many chips alone I can imagine that you accidentally skip one or another getting interrupted.
I tried two mcus so far (ordered two sets) and both didn‘t work.

I could try reflashing the bootloader and firmware tonight. First I have to solder the headers though, I skipped them for aesthetic reasons  ;D

It could be an MCU issue, but it seems unlikely given that you've tried 2 different ones.

The circuitry is quite simple, there's two parts, the bit that provides power to the MCU from the USB, and then the switch matrix. If it not detected as a USB device then it is something wrong with the power circuit, the MCU itself, or the power from the USB. You can eliminate an MCU error by switching in another chip, sometimes USB hubs don't deliver an on-spec amount of power so plugging straight into your PC can eliminate that possible cause. If that's all good, then you know it's an issue with the power circuit.

Visually check all the power circuit components, the solder joints are good, they are in the correct positions and orientations. Those resistors all looks much the same as each other. If you have a multimeter check for continuity between components and for resistance across components.

Disclaimer: I am not an electronics expert and am just relaying my experiences.

Offline augrym

« Reply #112 on: Sun, 06 June 2021, 15:27:33 »
Thank you for your input!

I rechecked all my solder points, made sure every connection is good enough and added some solder to the usb-c pads.
I also replaced the Zener diodes (which are labeled as D61/D62 on my silkscreen, not D66/D67 as in the guide) with ones I had on hand, just to make sure.

Fair enough, now the board connects! Thank you very much! All buttons work and I can reconnect it in qmk toolbox.
While testing the buttons most of the times the left LED lid up. Only some times the right one lid up. Is there a pattern to why which lights up?

Now just one short question: In the docs (https://github.com/peej/lumberjack-keyboard) you mention VIA-Support:
There is a VIA compatible firmware available in QMK.

I've looked for it in qmk toolbox, but I can't find the firmware except the default one. Can't find a download on the via-website aswell.
Quick google search couldn't help either. Did I miss something?

Another quick question: If I'd wanted to replace the red LEDs with a different color, R7/R8 are the resistors which belong to the LEDs, right?

Offline peej

« Reply #113 on: Sun, 06 June 2021, 16:00:40 »
Fair enough, now the board connects! Thank you very much! All buttons work and I can reconnect it in qmk toolbox.

Awesome!

While testing the buttons most of the times the left LED lid up. Only some times the right one lid up. Is there a pattern to why which lights up?

The LEDs are configured to light the left on key press and the right on layer change. This is in lumberjack.c in the firmware so if you want different behaviour you can adjust it here.

Now just one short question: In the docs (https://github.com/peej/lumberjack-keyboard) you mention VIA-Support:

The firmware that comes on the MCU in the kit is the VIA keymap, if you fire up VIA it should "just work". QMK Toolbox will only load default keymaps via the keyboard selection dropdown, if you need a .hex of the VIA keymap you will need to compile it yourself:

Code: [Select]
qmk compile -kb peej/lumberjack -km via
Another quick question: If I'd wanted to replace the red LEDs with a different color, R7/R8 are the resistors which belong to the LEDs, right?

Yes, pick the appropriate resistor size for your LED of choice and how bright you want it.

Offline augrym

« Reply #114 on: Mon, 07 June 2021, 01:18:17 »

The LEDs are configured to light the left on key press and the right on layer change. This is in lumberjack.c in the firmware so if you want different behaviour you can adjust it here.
[...]

I see, thank you for the explanation!

The firmware that comes on the MCU in the kit is the VIA keymap, if you fire up VIA it should "just work".
Oh no, I didn't try that because I'm not used to VIA-support out of the box :D

Yes, pick the appropriate resistor size for your LED of choice and how bright you want it.
Thank you for the quick confirmation.

I will post my board once it's completed. Need to lube some tangies and solder them all, will take a few evenings until everything is assembled.
Thank you again for the great design & quick support!

Offline Joaquox

« Reply #115 on: Mon, 07 June 2021, 01:37:56 »
Mine ha s started acting up as well, was working fine the other day and I could flash it. Now it does it turns up as an unknown device 7/10 times when I plug it in, and when it does work it's only for a few minutes before it  disconnects.. 

Could it be a bad batch of zenners, or am I just bad at soldering  :))

Offline peej

« Reply #116 on: Mon, 07 June 2021, 14:22:39 »
Mine ha s started acting up as well, was working fine the other day and I could flash it. Now it does it turns up as an unknown device 7/10 times when I plug it in, and when it does work it's only for a few minutes before it  disconnects.. 

Could it be a bad batch of zenners, or am I just bad at soldering  :))

Hmm, that sucks, it could be bad zeners. I panicked slightly when I read your message and franticly grabbed my meter to check the left over zeners, I'm not entirely sure I'm testing them correctly (I'm just doing a diode check although zeners are magic) but after checking 30 or so they all checked out. One gave a low value of 0.5v rather than 0.7v but that's still within expected range as far as I understand. In reverse they act as expected. Are you able to test your zeners and do you have spares you could try swapping out for?

Offline Joaquox

« Reply #117 on: Tue, 08 June 2021, 00:36:45 »
IDK how I would test them, is it enough with a multimeter or do I need a regulated power source as well?

I think I can get some this week from Amazon. Your BOM on Github does not mention a parts number, just a voltage, is there a specific one I should be looking for? Zeners are black magic to me as well, don't know a whole lot about them to be honest!  ;D

Offline peej

« Reply #118 on: Tue, 08 June 2021, 02:31:29 »
IDK how I would test them, is it enough with a multimeter or do I need a regulated power source as well?

I think I can get some this week from Amazon. Your BOM on Github does not mention a parts number, just a voltage, is there a specific one I should be looking for? Zeners are black magic to me as well, don't know a whole lot about them to be honest!  ;D

You can test if they are broken with a standard diode test, so they should show a voltage drop in the forward direction and nothing backwards. But I think if you want to test the reverse breakdown voltage then you need a flowing current, you shouldn't need to test that cos we know they are 3.6v zeners. I think all 3.6v zeners are the same, https://eu.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Taiwan-Semiconductor/BZX55B3V6-R0G

If you can't source any and need me to send you some, let me know.

Offline Joaquox

« Reply #119 on: Tue, 08 June 2021, 07:50:38 »
I ordered a pack of zeners, will probably have time to test some this weekend even if they don't get here by then!

Offline augrym

« Reply #120 on: Tue, 08 June 2021, 08:10:12 »
I've had some spares when ordering my parts for my discipline-builds.
I ordered those: https://www.digikey.de/product-detail/de/NZX3V6A%2c133/1727-4744-1-ND/2531194?

I guess any ZENER DIODE 3.6V 500MW will do.

Offline Joaquox

« Reply #121 on: Tue, 08 June 2021, 08:22:15 »
Really hope it's just those, would hate it if it was the USB port! I do have a desoldering station, but it's still a PITA to remove all the switches  ;D

Offline augrym

« Reply #122 on: Fri, 11 June 2021, 08:53:16 »
Here's my build:

Tofu E-white case
Black Lumberjack PCB
Tangerines 67g + 8 Roeslio 67g, both lubed with kryptox 0205 & everglide screw in stabs
AliExpress Apple classic-keycaps.

Have 8 roselios close to the middle panel so the orange of the tangle-cases don't shine through :D
I use this together with an apple mouse on my iMac work.

Offline Joaquox

« Reply #123 on: Sat, 12 June 2021, 01:10:00 »
Here's my build:

Tofu E-white case
Black Lumberjack PCB
Tangerines 67g + 8 Roeslio 67g, both lubed with kryptox 0205 & everglide screw in stabs
AliExpress Apple classic-keycaps.

Have 8 roselios close to the middle panel so the orange of the tangle-cases don't shine through :D
I use this together with an apple mouse on my iMac work.

That looks super clean! Great work man!

I'm going to put my second PCB in a tofu as well - was planning on mounting it with one of them big gaskets!

Offline Joaquox

« Reply #124 on: Sat, 12 June 2021, 05:06:59 »
I ordered a pack of zeners, will probably have time to test some this weekend even if they don't get here by then!
So now I've replaced the zenners, double checked every soldering point, I tried the atmega IC from the second kit, I reflowed and multimeter tested the USB C connector, but still Windows will only detect it as an unknown device!

Then I notice there's a slight bit of solder that's going to the USB A pad from the C pin. So I remove this, and now it seems fine!

Will keep it on and disassembled a few more hours before declaring victory  :thumb:

Offline peej

« Reply #125 on: Sun, 13 June 2021, 06:26:58 »
Another quick weekly update. Some kits are still within the postal system, especially those going to the other side of the world (and Portugal), it seems that postage times can vary wildly seemly based on luck. If you haven't received yours and are concerned, give me a shout in Discord (peejeh#8426).

Those of you waiting for extras, they will be available once all the GB orders have arrived. As I've said before, there will be plenty of extras due to my PCB ordering error. I will be using some left over funds to get the kit parts together so the kits will be ready to send asap as the parts are compiled together. The only limitation will be how fast I can do that, so there will be a form for orders and it will produce a queue which I will work through.

Enjoy your weekend.

Offline Extra Fox

• quis qui sais
« Reply #126 on: Sun, 13 June 2021, 11:14:17 »
Those of you waiting for extras, they will be available once all the GB orders have arrived. As I've said before, there will be plenty of extras due to my PCB ordering error. I will be using some left over funds to get the kit parts together so the kits will be ready to send asap as the parts are compiled together. The only limitation will be how fast I can do that, so there will be a form for orders and it will produce a queue which I will work through.
Question on that, will you be offering PCB only, or is it just easier to do the full kits from a workflow and inventory perspective?
To frame the question, I only need a Black PCB, but if it's easier for you just to sell these as kits I would still be interested.
A-a-ron

Offline TheWonderBubble

« Reply #127 on: Sun, 13 June 2021, 15:12:23 »
Those of you waiting for extras, they will be available once all the GB orders have arrived.

Oh snap, I thought I'd missed the boat on this completely. :eek: I was starting to look into how to get a PCB made 1-off. Definitely going to be trying my hardest to snag a slot on these!
Shhhhh...my wallet doesn't know I'm here.

Offline Aiwanei

• ThocKeys.com
« Reply #128 on: Sun, 13 June 2021, 20:28:41 »
Just wanted to announce for those that are waiting, ThocKeys will be having some extras available on Friday June 18th at around 11AM Eastern Time.
ThocKeys.com

Offline TheWonderBubble

« Reply #129 on: Sun, 13 June 2021, 20:57:18 »
Just wanted to announce for those that are waiting, ThocKeys will be having some extras available on Friday June 18th at around 11AM Eastern Time.

Thank you very much for the heads up!

I can't believe that I've already reached the point of adding reminders to my work calendar....

Offline pixelboy14

« Reply #130 on: Sun, 13 June 2021, 21:58:51 »

Made a geekhack account and a thockeys account just for this. hopefully i can get one and the shipping to Manila wont cost as much as the kit. Good luck to all of us, campers!

Offline Deviculus

« Reply #131 on: Sun, 13 June 2021, 23:17:06 »
Made a geekhack account and a thockeys account just for this. hopefully i can get one and the shipping to Manila wont cost as much as the kit. Good luck to all of us, campers!

Also from Manila! When I ordered it through peej, the shipping was around 9 euros, but it was sent as a mailbox package. Hope ordering it through ThocKeys won't be too expensive for you.

Offline peej

« Reply #132 on: Mon, 14 June 2021, 09:48:40 »
To frame the question, I only need a Black PCB, but if it's easier for you just to sell these as kits I would still be interested.

Give me a shout on Discord, I can definitely help you out.

Offline pixelboy14

« Reply #133 on: Tue, 15 June 2021, 19:54:46 »

Also from Manila! When I ordered it through peej, the shipping was around 9 euros, but it was sent as a mailbox package. Hope ordering it through ThocKeys won't be too expensive for you.

just checked. around 6usd for the most basic shipping. not bad. hope to see your build in the local fb groups hehehe

Offline Aiwanei

• ThocKeys.com
« Reply #134 on: Thu, 17 June 2021, 11:11:54 »
Hello, due to an unforseen personal conflict (one of my kids is sick), I'm going to have to push this out one week. The sale of extras will now be next Friday June 25th. I apologize for the short notice and delay.
ThocKeys.com

Offline TheWonderBubble

« Reply #135 on: Thu, 17 June 2021, 12:18:48 »
Hello, due to an unforseen personal conflict (one of my kids is sick), I'm going to have to push this out one week. The sale of extras will now be next Friday June 25th. I apologize for the short notice and delay.

Perfectly understandable, thanks for the heads up and I hope they get well soon!

Offline pixelboy14

« Reply #136 on: Thu, 17 June 2021, 19:12:56 »

Thanks for the update! I hope you're kid is alright.

Offline JustaGh0st

« Reply #137 on: Fri, 18 June 2021, 12:25:21 »
Hope all is well! Eagerly awaiting an opportunity to try and grab one of these

Offline Deviculus

« Reply #138 on: Mon, 21 June 2021, 03:04:22 »
Here are the images of the board I made! Using the kbdfans walnut case and mt3 profile keycaps, the case ended up 3mm ajar at the number row. Still works good enough for me.

Offline peej

« Reply #139 on: Tue, 22 June 2021, 13:22:06 »
Here are the images of the board I made! Using the kbdfans walnut case and mt3 profile keycaps, the case ended up 3mm ajar at the number row. Still works good enough for me.

Nice, the wood and components together reminds me of those old wooden radio cabinets.

How come the case doesn't quite sit right? Is it a misalignment with the USB opening?

Offline Deviculus

« Reply #140 on: Tue, 22 June 2021, 13:34:56 »

Nice, the wood and components together reminds me of those old wooden radio cabinets.

How come the case doesn't quite sit right? Is it a misalignment with the USB opening?

The pcb sits well in the case! It's the choice of keycaps I made that prevented the cap from sitting flush with the case. MT3 is a pretty tall profile similar to SA, so cases that usually close don't quite do so for this profile. I'd just need a band of sorts to but around it to have it close completely if I really wanted it to.

Offline pixelboy14

« Reply #141 on: Fri, 25 June 2021, 10:56:43 »

for those interested, just checked, extras kit on thockeys are live! godspeed and good luck!

Offline TheWonderBubble

« Reply #142 on: Fri, 25 June 2021, 11:20:41 »

for those interested, just checked, extras kit on thockeys are live! godspeed and good luck!

Been up for 3hrs for this, I think & hope I managed to get it! :thumb: Looks like my first keyboard has been decided if so

Offline pixelboy14

« Reply #143 on: Fri, 25 June 2021, 22:52:27 »

Been up for 3hrs for this, I think & hope I managed to get it! :thumb: Looks like my first keyboard has been decided if so

godspeed! great choice for a first keeb. just got my order in! cant wait for the second batch of people and their builds.

Offline nathanrosspowell

• * Destiny Supporter
    • nathanrosspowell.com
« Reply #144 on: Sat, 26 June 2021, 08:28:19 »
Picked up a white kit  :) Will be the first bit of soldering I've done in a while, really looking forward to it.

Offline peej

« Reply #145 on: Wed, 30 June 2021, 05:10:34 »
Hi everyone,

Extra Lumberjack kits are now available from me, go to the form to request your order:

https://forms.gle/2b4E6fSUkPQ6LAun6

These are USB Mini only kits. Rather than releasing them in batches as they are ready, signup using the form and you will join the queue, I will then invoice you when your kit is ready to send. When they are all gone they are all gone but there should be plenty to go around, if the colour you want isn't available anymore then I will invoice you for another colour.

Offline TLExile

Re: [GB] Lumberjack PCB - Extras Available
« Reply #146 on: Wed, 30 June 2021, 13:20:42 »
Will all extra kits in the future (usbc ones) also not have fr4 plates?
I assume that there are no extras for those so there isn't a point in holding out.

Offline peej

« Reply #147 on: Thu, 01 July 2021, 06:11:32 »
Will all extra kits in the future (usbc ones) also not have fr4 plates?
I assume that there are no extras for those so there isn't a point in holding out.

After handling items lost in shipping, there are no more USB-C boards. I do have a few spare plates, so if you mention you want one in the form you might get lucky.

Offline TheWonderBubble

« Reply #148 on: Sat, 03 July 2021, 18:28:58 »
Just got my extra buy in and took it on a super scuff "test run" (aka I stuck switches on it on my deskmat and pulled the keycaps off my current board). Just off looks alone this was one of my endgames, and now having played around with it a little bit? I don't think I'm ever going back to standard layouts. This is just such a nice design. Having the hands apart that little bit is way comfier, and ortholinear has my fingers flying around the keyboard much less. So excited to get these finished and turned into daily drivers!

Offline Leo66

« Reply #149 on: Sun, 04 July 2021, 02:43:17 »
impressive ~~

Offline Deviculus

« Reply #150 on: Sun, 04 July 2021, 10:28:03 »
Just got my extra buy in and took it on a super scuff "test run" (aka I stuck switches on it on my deskmat and pulled the keycaps off my current board). Just off looks alone this was one of my endgames, and now having played around with it a little bit? I don't think I'm ever going back to standard layouts. This is just such a nice design. Having the hands apart that little bit is way comfier, and ortholinear has my fingers flying around the keyboard much less. So excited to get these finished and turned into daily drivers!

Glad to hear you enjoyed moving away from row stagger! Next step would be trying a split keyboard with column stagger!  :cool: Thats where I'm currently at as of the moment.

I moved from standard layout to planck, and I even typed using the ergoplanck method of having my pinkies rest on the outermost columns. Trying out a split keyboard made me reach new levels of comfort with how I could have my hands further from one another. Doing the ergoplanck method on the lumberjack feels all the more comfy, and i don't see myself touching my planck even more so anymore. Though my split is what I find the most comfy, I'm enjoying the lumberjack way too much to go back to it. Loving the sound and I love playing with my new toy, so that takes priority over the comfort I have with my split. The lumberjack is definitely gonna be the board I use outside of my home going forward.

Offline TheWonderBubble

« Reply #151 on: Sun, 04 July 2021, 11:34:38 »

Glad to hear you enjoyed moving away from row stagger! Next step would be trying a split keyboard with column stagger!  :cool: Thats where I'm currently at as of the moment.

I moved from standard layout to planck, and I even typed using the ergoplanck method of having my pinkies rest on the outermost columns. Trying out a split keyboard made me reach new levels of comfort with how I could have my hands further from one another. Doing the ergoplanck method on the lumberjack feels all the more comfy, and i don't see myself touching my planck even more so anymore. Though my split is what I find the most comfy, I'm enjoying the lumberjack way too much to go back to it. Loving the sound and I love playing with my new toy, so that takes priority over the comfort I have with my split. The lumberjack is definitely gonna be the board I use outside of my home going forward.

Sofle V2 is the plan. :cool: The lumberjack will likely become my at-work board, I alternate between WFH and in-office (or both in one day) but my in-office work would likely make a split more of a nuisance than an advantage with my desk setup there. There's some games I'd probably want the lumberjack for at home as well just to have all the keys on one board.

We'll see! Half the fun of keyboards I'm learning is in experimentation.

Offline Deviculus

« Reply #152 on: Sun, 04 July 2021, 13:46:17 »

Sofle V2 is the plan. :cool: The lumberjack will likely become my at-work board, I alternate between WFH and in-office (or both in one day) but my in-office work would likely make a split more of a nuisance than an advantage with my desk setup there. There's some games I'd probably want the lumberjack for at home as well just to have all the keys on one board.

We'll see! Half the fun of keyboards I'm learning is in experimentation.

That was also my motivation for the lumberjack! I've been playing games on keyboards without numrows. I was able to make do, but I wanted to try using a numrow for games again and see how it felt. I posted a picture earlier, but I got a wooden case that has a cover, so it'll be really handy when working in a coffee shop (when it becomes normal again over here anyways).

Offline delvix

« Reply #153 on: Tue, 06 July 2021, 05:47:10 »
Is there a .dxf plate file for this board? I usually use the swilkb builder to generate plate files but for some reason it's not working correctly and I can't cut the hole for the mounting screws

Offline peej

« Reply #154 on: Tue, 06 July 2021, 15:02:24 »
Is there a .dxf plate file for this board?

I exported the relevant layers from KiCad and plotted them as a DXF. You'll probably want to adjust some things to your liking, but the switch and standoff holes should be correctly positioned.

Offline Extra Fox

• quis qui sais
« Reply #155 on: Fri, 09 July 2021, 23:17:07 »
Hi @peej, I might have hit a similar snag as another. Although I am getting the board to be recognized as a USB device, Windows can't determine what kind of device it is.

So either I need a different driver for this chipset (which seems unlikely) or perhaps the MCU isn't flashed? I've got a AVR Programmer on it's way, but maybe in the meantime if you wouldn't mind helping me troubleshoot, I'd be very grateful.
You can hit me up on Discord if that's easier (same user name).
A-a-ron

Offline delvix

« Reply #156 on: Sun, 11 July 2021, 05:37:12 »
Is there a .dxf plate file for this board?

I exported the relevant layers from KiCad and plotted them as a DXF. You'll probably want to adjust some things to your liking, but the switch and standoff holes should be correctly positioned.

Ah that's perfect thank you so much!

Offline Deviculus

« Reply #157 on: Sat, 17 July 2021, 10:52:40 »
Anyone having issues flashing it via qmk msys? I get  the following error when I try to flash the keyboard. It was working fine when I had flashed it using qmk toolbox before, but for some reason qmk toolbox isn't opening for me anymore. Due to this, I've been using qmk msys for all my flashing lately.

Offline Darth_munkee

« Reply #158 on: Sat, 17 July 2021, 17:05:11 »
Anyone having issues flashing it via qmk msys? I get  the following error when I try to flash the keyboard. It was working fine when I had flashed it using qmk toolbox before, but for some reason qmk toolbox isn't opening for me anymore. Due to this, I've been using qmk msys for all my flashing lately.

Not sure about that error, but with QMK Toolbox, try unplugging anything that runs QMK after trying to open it. It should pop up and work like it's supposed to after that and you can plug everything back in.

Offline Joaquox

« Reply #159 on: Sun, 18 July 2021, 10:48:03 »
I'm hooked and want more PCBs!

When's R2?  :D

Offline DerBonk

« Reply #160 on: Mon, 26 July 2021, 07:59:48 »
Finally was able to finish my second kit. The first one (the one I wanted to give away) did not work out for some reason, still bug hunting there (vcc and gnd short, which I just cannot find the reason for). But here is my proper build:
  • Walnut case with center posts removed and o-ring mod, plateless
  • Gazzew U4T switches
  • Rama Grid caps

I am very happy with the board and especially the layout of the lumberjack. It is the most comfortable ortho board I have, for sure.

Offline Extra Fox

• quis qui sais
« Reply #161 on: Mon, 26 July 2021, 17:11:33 »
Well done!
A-a-ron

Offline pixelboy14

« Reply #162 on: Wed, 28 July 2021, 02:11:46 »
finally got my extras from ThocKeys! Cheers! very accommodating and a pleasure to deal with.

got myself Red and will be giving the White to my SO. I keep coming back to this thread just to look at all the beautiful builds!

Offline nathanrosspowell

• * Destiny Supporter
    • nathanrosspowell.com
« Reply #163 on: Thu, 29 July 2021, 19:46:25 »
Typing this slowly on my white usb micro extra that I got from thockkeys :) Old TEX case, Durock T1s and using a mashup of DSA Granite and 2u GMK spacebars (yuck) while I wait in that sweet ePBT 6085!

Offline Sup

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Doing university was a mistake
« Reply #164 on: Mon, 09 August 2021, 08:42:35 »
I build mine today its perfect well almost perfect until i noticed that the letter Q is northfacing for some reason what has interference with Cherry profile. I guess nothing can be perfect in life.

I will post a picture in a bit though it looks cool

Edit:

My feedback for revision 2 if it ever will be made

It took me a while to realize this but, the PCB is warped what causes some keys to misalign big see above picture top right key. I found out because of the warp the key misaligns if you fully screw in the PCB(See picture top right of the keyboard). A stiff plate is a must or you need a different PCB manufacturer that doesn't make warped PCB's.

« Last Edit: Mon, 09 August 2021, 12:58:09 by Sup »
current
Filco Zero -  NOS Yellow Alps | Canoe R1 Gateron Red | AEK II JP Cream dampend |Filco Majestouch 2 Tex case Gateron Yellow | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev AO Serial 000171 | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev A1s|DZ60 OG Panda's with Fei spring and stem. | Sentraq S65_Plus OG Invyr Panda's | A17 Gateron Black TX 65G 3204 | Lubrigrante Wildcard Cherry MX silent blacks 3204 58.5G Springs | Rukia Everglide Tourmaline Blue 58.5G Springs | MGA Standard Greetech brown |
Coming soon
Rest in peace Billy Herrington(William Glen Harold Herrington) 1969-2018
Rest in peace Byron Daniel 1989-2020

Offline ravenousrhino

« Reply #165 on: Sat, 14 August 2021, 07:15:00 »
Does anybody know if the PCB would work in a B-Box60? I'm thinking of putting a white PCB in the Tianwen Box60. It looks like I could screw in the middle hole. And it looks like I would have to modify the outlet in the back to accommodate a mini-usb since that's the kit I got.

Offline Sup

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #166 on: Sat, 14 August 2021, 18:04:02 »
Does anybody know if the PCB would work in a B-Box60? I'm thinking of putting a white PCB in the Tianwen Box60. It looks like I could screw in the middle hole. And it looks like I would have to modify the outlet in the back to accommodate a mini-usb since that's the kit I got.

It would work but the pcb is banana shaped the black one and the red one is warped on the right so one or two sides will bow up if that makes sense. At least with my units
« Last Edit: Sat, 14 August 2021, 18:50:33 by Sup »
current
Filco Zero -  NOS Yellow Alps | Canoe R1 Gateron Red | AEK II JP Cream dampend |Filco Majestouch 2 Tex case Gateron Yellow | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev AO Serial 000171 | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev A1s|DZ60 OG Panda's with Fei spring and stem. | Sentraq S65_Plus OG Invyr Panda's | A17 Gateron Black TX 65G 3204 | Lubrigrante Wildcard Cherry MX silent blacks 3204 58.5G Springs | Rukia Everglide Tourmaline Blue 58.5G Springs | MGA Standard Greetech brown |
Coming soon

Offline ravenousrhino

« Reply #167 on: Sun, 15 August 2021, 02:50:14 »

It would work but the pcb is banana shaped the black one and the red one is warped on the right so one or two sides will bow up if that makes sense. At least with my units

I've been looking at all the BBOX60 images available and I realized that the white and orange one I want has a different layout at the bottom for the screws. There wouldn't be anywhere for me to screw the pcb in unless I add my own. So I guess that plan is scrapped.

Offline Joaquox

« Reply #168 on: Mon, 16 August 2021, 09:57:15 »
My lumber is now jacked!   ;D

Offline qeebored

« Reply #169 on: Tue, 24 August 2021, 07:43:48 »
At last I got time to build the keyboard. It's been on my desk for a long time, and now I got some spare time to solder the board. I used Kailh Box Jade switches, Mocha keycaps, and a bamboo case. I love the aesthetics of this board.

274763-0
274765-1

I did modify the keyboard layout a bit to better fit my use, and enabled auto shift in rules.mk. I will probably continue tweaking the layout for a while.

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Typing on: Brutal60, Lavenders Linears, GMK Jamon
« Reply #170 on: Tue, 24 August 2021, 18:35:02 »
I just picked up one of the extra PCB kits. Are there any extra FR4 plates around, or should I get those cut myself?
ai03 Meridian ¤ Mech 27 ¤ E8.5 ¤ Brutal60 ¤ SSK White Label ¤ HHKB Pro JP ¤ vAEK68 Alps Blues ¤ RF87u

Offline isoforms

« Reply #171 on: Mon, 30 August 2021, 12:06:38 »
I was able to finally build one of the extras I snagged! This was also my first ever build with MillMax sockets, and it was surprisingly easier than I thought it would be :D

60% Wooden Case from KBDFans (It also has a lid!)
KTT Roses (61.5g)
MT3 e2048 by biip

The lumberjack is also one of the most comfortable ortho boards I own—also got a friend interested in mechanical keyboards after he saw my build.

Next thing on the list is to try and get some FR4 plates for this build. If anybody has extras, please let me know!

PolyCarb Preonic Rev3

Offline TheWonderBubble

« Reply #172 on: Mon, 30 August 2021, 17:42:15 »
I was able to finally build one of the extras I snagged! This was also my first ever build with MillMax sockets, and it was surprisingly easier than I thought it would be :D

Show Image

Show Image

KTT Roses (61.5g)
MT3 e2048 by biip

The lumberjack is also one of the most comfortable ortho boards I own—also got a friend interested in mechanical keyboards after he saw my build.

Next thing on the list is to try and get some FR4 plates for this build. If anybody has extras, please let me know!

Which sockets did you use? I've been considering mil-maxing one or both of mine when I get them built.

Offline isoforms

« Reply #173 on: Mon, 30 August 2021, 18:39:10 »

Show Image

Show Image

KTT Roses (61.5g)
MT3 e2048 by biip

Which sockets did you use? I've been considering mil-maxing one or both of mine when I get them built.

I used the 7305 sockets! Worked like a charm!

PolyCarb Preonic Rev3

Offline Sup

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #174 on: Sat, 04 September 2021, 09:31:15 »

If anyone needs a plate for there lumberjack i have enough left for 3 builds. EU only. ps its not free

Contact me trough Discord Sup#2504
current
Coming soon

Offline Alejo1707

• Gimme some more caps!
« Reply #175 on: Sat, 04 September 2021, 09:50:55 »
Show Image

If anyone needs a plate for there lumberjack i have enough left for 3 builds. EU only. ps its not free

I see Topre, DT990 and Lumberjack in the same picture and I approve! (in spite of those clear caps)

Offline Sup

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #176 on: Sat, 04 September 2021, 16:46:58 »
Show Image

I see Topre, DT990 and Lumberjack in the same picture and I approve! (in spite of those clear caps)

Finding ortho keycaps are hard  :(
current
Coming soon