Author Topic: [IC] Lapintosh 28k - Modernized Macintosh  (Read 4799 times)

Offline Lapbottom

• Lapbottom
[IC] Lapintosh 28k - Modernized Macintosh
« on: Fri, 17 June 2022, 04:28:13 »
This is an interest check everything [and I mean everything] is subject to change

Hello, Hello

I'm a real big fan of the older 1984 Macintosh style and I thought Id modernize it into a small form factor 28-key package. My goal was to design the most fulfilling "smol" keeb experience.

Lapintosh 28k

Modernizations

The keyboard from the old Macintosh Plus(128k) is were I drew most of my inspiration from. Adding on to the look of the older board I felt it needed modernizations. Add found that modern touch in very shiny brass. The board struts a polished brass badge in the front and the shiniest CNC Brass Weight. Keeping with the brass accents the switch plate is also brass and is used to give a very pretty ring around the edge of the board separating the top and bottom.

Colors
I'm not 100% set on the color choices but im hoping I can bring colors for all demographics
Black Beauty

Eggshell Blue

Tendril

Chamomile

White. Just White

Features
  • Sandwich Mount
  • Cerakote Aluminum Chassis
  • Exchangeable Badges
  • Assemble yourself (soldering)
  • Brass Weight
  • Brass Plate and Hardware

I have yet to order prototype units so for now all I can offer is renders

Of course im open to all criticism but if your at all interested or even not interested in this project complete the form below
https://forms.gle/Cdp77wExawXeNqt78

Offline Zyrophr

• https://zyrophr.com
    • zyrophr.com
Re: [IC] Lapintosh 28k - Modernized Macintosh
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 17 June 2022, 04:46:28 »
Alright, so, I'm absolutely not a 40% guy, but this looks hot
French keyboard streamer

Offline ankit

• Formerly ankit-sachdeva
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 17 June 2022, 05:00:42 »
No proto?
Pricing?
Angle?
Front height?
Type of alu used?

Any other actual info other than just a couple nice renders?
This is not an IC but has the potential to be a nice project if you take time to revise this with actual information about the board.

It does look very cool.
« Last Edit: Fri, 17 June 2022, 05:08:36 by ankit-sachdeva »
collection:
More
  Daal, Emp Mini, HHKB x5, Horsey, Prophet, RS60, Seis Cero, Unikorn, Pixy Mini

Offline Lapbottom

• Lapbottom
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 17 June 2022, 05:07:04 »
No proto?
Pricing?
Angle?
Front height?
Type of alu used?

Any other actual info other than just a couple nice renders?
This is not an IC.

My bad man, its my first time. All that info will be available soon. I really just want to see if it something someone would want

Offline ankit

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 17 June 2022, 05:11:06 »
Yep, not trying to be toxic but you will need to add a lot of basic info. Look through some other ICs here and you'll see what is generally included.
collection:
More

Offline purryoverlord

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 17 June 2022, 06:37:18 »
I like the colors used, would also like to see more info on this

Offline nevin

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 17 June 2022, 08:34:36 »
I'm just appalled that this is what IC's have come to. If we're going to keep bashing these types of IC's then we need to come up with another type of "interest check". One that is to gauge interest in an idea or project WITHOUT dumping money into prototypes, finishing tests, etc.

- IDEA (show & discuss)
- IC "Interest Check" (has become... pre-group buy)
- GB "Group Buy"

I agree that prototypes, etc. need to be done before a group buy, but it's ridiculous to tear someone apart when all they are doing is asking if you like their IDEA. Trying to gauge interest before they start throwing actual money at an idea.

There was obvious time spent on the idea. It's not like the OP posted two sentences describing what they were thinking and asked you to buy it.

Too many good ideas that get posted as "IC's" ......get told it's NOT an "IC", get shredded, told they didn't do it right, come back when you have ________ info, prototypes, etc.

Our tiny keyboard world can be wonderful and foster great ideas & communication, it doesn't have to get ugly.

Apologies for the mini rant. Not pointing the finger at anyone specifically, just tired of all the IC BASHING that has become the growing trend.
Keeb.io Viterbi, Apple m0110, Apple m0120, Apple m0110a, Apple 658-4081, Apple M1242, Apple AEK II, MK96, GH60/Pure, Cherry g84-4100, Adesso AKP-220B, Magicforce 68

Offline ohwe

• no
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 17 June 2022, 11:19:19 »
I'm not a smol keyboard kinda dude. Smallest I have and smallest I generally use on a regular basis is HHKB layout stuff. Having said that, this is a good look. I like the lines, I like the inspiration and the homage, I think it's something I could see myself strongly considering at the bare minimum. I won't echo the "want for more information" (guess I kind of did), but I will say that chamomile is pretty hot.

Consider my interest piqued. Good luck on the venture.
Current rotation: Rama U80-A, Rama Kara, Mode65 (Maroon/Brass)

Offline MakerJake

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 17 June 2022, 11:24:34 »
looks great glwic!

Offline soundstage

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 17 June 2022, 12:15:56 »
I like this design. I think a WK TKL based on this design would be beautiful!

Offline kajahtaa

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 17 June 2022, 15:44:30 »
This is beautiful.

Offline lovebee.co

« Reply #11 on: Sat, 18 June 2022, 13:36:14 »
I'm just appalled that this is what IC's have come to. If we're going to keep bashing these types of IC's then we need to come up with another type of "interest check". One that is to gauge interest in an idea or project WITHOUT dumping money into prototypes, finishing tests, etc.

- IDEA (show & discuss)
- IC "Interest Check" (has become... pre-group buy)
- GB "Group Buy"

I agree that prototypes, etc. need to be done before a group buy, but it's ridiculous to tear someone apart when all they are doing is asking if you like their IDEA. Trying to gauge interest before they start throwing actual money at an idea.

There was obvious time spent on the idea. It's not like the OP posted two sentences describing what they were thinking and asked you to buy it.

Too many good ideas that get posted as "IC's" ......get told it's NOT an "IC", get shredded, told they didn't do it right, come back when you have ________ info, prototypes, etc.

Our tiny keyboard world can be wonderful and foster great ideas & communication, it doesn't have to get ugly.

Apologies for the mini rant. Not pointing the finger at anyone specifically, just tired of all the IC BASHING that has become the growing trend.

seconded.

board and concept looks awesome OP. hope you get enough interest to be able to get some protos :thumb: i’m personally hotswap4life but still keeping this on my watchlist

Offline ankit

« Reply #12 on: Sun, 19 June 2022, 00:09:49 »
With the exception of a prototype, everything else I asked for is information required to gauge interest. 
collection:
More

Offline plag

• Formerly pepperonichicken
  • i also go by plag
« Reply #13 on: Sun, 19 June 2022, 22:47:59 »
haha man this looks awesome. im not usually suuuuper into smaller boards, but i love to see premium sub 40 key stuff. i would loooooove to see this be compatible with alps switches so i can actually run my actual vintage apple caps on this  :p . id also really like to see more info regarding different plate materials, potential cost, typing angle etc, but i understand those things come with time as ideas and feedback are bounced around. i hope to see an update sometime in the near future though, im super excited for this!  :thumb:
glwic

Offline DeMechanica

« Reply #14 on: Mon, 20 June 2022, 17:11:04 »
Would have loved this if it was a 40-45 rather than a sub-40!

Offline 526boards

« Reply #15 on: Thu, 23 June 2022, 16:13:22 »
Honestly a fan of the retro premium theme. I'm a little worried at how limiting the layout and materials may be. Combined it may be too low a unit number and cause higher production costs? Overall, general aesthetic is solid though!

And also agreed. The gray area on what defines an [IC] is so wide now. I can understand where users come from wanting more info since there's really no regulation/accountability within the hobby, but it is an INTEREST check still.