Author Topic: [IC] GMK Mountaineering | Outdated post please refer to link at the top of post  (Read 8830 times)

Offline Preston Walz

• Operating since 2020.
    • Discord Server
THIS POST IS OUTDATED HERE IS A LINK TO THE NEW GMK MOUNTAINEERING IC FORM:

Rise To The Climb
GMK Mountaineering is
inspired by the sport of Mountaineering.
High altitude adventure is nothing to take lightly, the journey is tough.
The goal... Stand on the highest point of the mountain, The Summit. Mountaineering requires preparation, mental toughness, strength and the correct tools.

GMK Mountaineering is my attempt to capture this inspiration in a keycap set.

Enjoy.
---------------------------------------------------------------
B A S E  C A M P

SUBJECT TO CHANGE

Alphas - RAL 2009 Traffic Orange
Alphas Text - GMK Stock Color GR1
Mods - GMK Stock Color GR1
Mod Text - RAL 2009 Traffic Orange

Base Camp Kit's colorway
is heavily inspired by the colors of the tents and
equipment that would be associated with Base Camp. Base Camp is located
near the beginning of your climb, Mountaineers will use this area to prepare for the journey ahead.
The bright oranges of this kit are used commonly in Mountaineering equipment and clothing. These colors are used to enhance visibility of climbers up on the mountains.
S U M M I T

SUBJECT TO CHANGE

Alphas - RAL Design 250 92 05
Alphas Text - GMK Stock WS2
Mods - GMK Stock WS2
Mod Text - RAL 2009 Traffic Orange

Summit is made to showcase
being at the highest point of the mountain... the summit.
At the summit there is a stillness. It is quiet, there is ambience of only the soft wind and your breathing.
In the distance are mountain ranges as far as the eye can see. This kits colors are inspired by the cooler tones
and light colors of the top of the mountain. From the clear skies, clouds, mountains and to the snow and ice below your feet.

G E A R  S E T
SUBJECT TO CHANGE
B A S E  C A M P  A D D I T I O N
S U M M I T  A D D I T I O N
Base Camp NordeUK Kit:
Summit NordeUK Kit:
Vendors:
US - Captus Keycaps
CA - TBA
EU - TBA
UK - TBA
OCE - TBA
SEA - TBA
To Do List:
More
- Collect Feedback from IC
- Add kits according to feedback
- Design Novelty Kit
- Collaborations TBD (If you are interested in collaborating, here is my discord! pdwalz#5862)
- Desk pad and Artisans
- Adjust Board Renders to better match colors
- Add kits/support according to feedback
- Vendors
- Color Matching
- Quotes from GMK
Changelog:
More
4/23: Adjusted IC posts images to be easier to read and changed format of IC to be more center on the page
6/13: US vendor Captus Keycaps added
6/14: Revised base kitting, ISO support moved to addition kit
6/14: Adjusted all kit renders to better show the color codes, need to revise board renders
6/20: Made slight changes to IC layout for better presentation
7/3: Improved the layout, font and formatting of IC
7/12: Added Summit and Base Camp NordeUK kitting
7/12: Designed Novelty Kit
Renders:

More
RAMA WORKS U80-A
                                                                                                                                                                                         [\

SP-111 by BlindAssassin

Vulcan x KBDFANS Maja

I C  F O R M

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdMMzc9pLz5IVK9sXXEPYknyrW4prL3WwsxEnvECmbhAtKcTg/viewform
« Last Edit: Wed, 14 July 2021, 13:32:43 by Preston Walz »

Offline kk73715

• Why are you even reading
Re: [IC] GMK Mountaineering
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 17 April 2021, 10:56:11 »
I prefer to view ICs without clicking links. I would say this is very poorly presented.

To see how to add Imgur photos, find an IC with photos, press "quote" at the top right, see the 'source code' of their post in the comment / post section (the stuff in-between [quote and /quote]. Study the syntax of how someone else did it then edit your original post.

Offline aleeex

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 17 April 2021, 11:07:08 »
This IC definitely needs some work

Offline armintehgreat

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 17 April 2021, 11:09:55 »
Yeah, this is hard to read. I think you should really flesh this out some more and put some more thought into the kitting and presentation before posting here.

Offline Preston Walz

• Operating since 2020.
    • Discord Server
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 17 April 2021, 11:22:39 »
I will go back to the drawing board and make necessary changes to make this IC more user friendly. Do tell however, is there a way to adjust sizing of images inserted into post? I feel this would be the first step in improving this post.
EDIT: Fixed!
« Last Edit: Fri, 23 April 2021, 19:09:24 by Preston Walz »

Offline Chippy

• sus chef
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 17 April 2021, 12:16:30 »
colors aside, I would take a look at how other IC's are presented and redo this in a bit.
1.2og | Buddy 6xx | Le Fishe V1 Proto | xyz60 Rev2 | Quartermaster | Chimera65 | Satisfaction75 | Realforce 84u | Zenith Z-150 | Realforce 86u | 378
More
This and the swiss cheese keyboard is the next generation of keyboards

Offline dimo

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 17 April 2021, 12:17:50 »
please add renders that aren’t just top views. i think the work is actually pretty well done, both sets look pretty good in my opinion but just rework the representation— try get a sort of general thematic quality to the set through title cards and such

Offline NovaRMK

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 17 April 2021, 13:50:43 »
Cool inspiration and theme, tho, not getting “mountaineering” vibes from the colors. Also, IC needs work

Offline Preston Walz

• Operating since 2020.
    • Discord Server
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 25 May 2021, 11:14:23 »
Changelog:

4/23: Adjusted IC posts images to be easier to read and changed format of IC to be more center on the page
6/13: US vendor Captus Keycaps added
6/14: Revised base kitting, ISO support moved to addition kit
6/14: Adjusted all kit renders to better show the color codes, need to revise board renders
6/20: Made slight changes to IC layout for better presentation
7/3: Improved the layout, font and formatting of IC
7/12: Added Summit and Base Camp NordeUK kitting
7/12: Designed Novelty Kit

« Last Edit: Mon, 12 July 2021, 18:01:40 by Preston Walz »

Offline Jebus

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 25 May 2021, 11:57:17 »
The set needs some work, but I IMO it has potential.  Just a heads up, the orange is not consistent between the numpad and the rest of the renders, and neither are the blues, which can best be seen on the spacebars of the Maja renders. Furthermore, I think your RAL 2009 has kind of a pinkish tint to it whereas in real life it's a bit darker, yellowish/brownish orange.
Try working on some novelties that sell your vision of mountaineering, I think that would help :) Good luck!

Offline Preston Walz

• Operating since 2020.
    • Discord Server
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 25 May 2021, 12:31:14 »
The set needs some work, but I IMO it has potential.  Just a heads up, the orange is not consistent between the numpad and the rest of the renders, and neither are the blues, which can best be seen on the spacebars of the Maja renders. Furthermore, I think your RAL 2009 has kind of a pinkish tint to it whereas in real life it's a bit darker, yellowish/brownish orange.
Try working on some novelties that sell your vision of mountaineering, I think that would help :) Good luck!

Renders will be tweaked and fixed to have better color consistency and matching. There is a problem with novelties however, GMK Backcountry currently has novelties that are heavily inspired by Mountaineering, I have to find a design that is original whilst inspired by Mountaineering. Thank you for the feedback!
« Last Edit: Tue, 25 May 2021, 12:37:29 by Preston Walz »

Offline Cylent

• Formerly cylentshadows
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 25 May 2021, 16:39:43 »
My issue is that I don't think either colorways fit the theme, and the neon orange isn't my taste. Clearly you have a bit of work to do on this, but I think with enough effort you can work it out. GLWIC!

Offline iinko_mk

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 25 May 2021, 18:28:16 »
When I look at this keyset, it does not remind me of mountaineering. I also think the set from a design perspective could be better. The contrast is pretty bad, you and effectively have two sets here.
Code: [Select]
[url=https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=110839.0][img width=300 height=120]https://i.imgur.com/GKL0Jxi.png[/img][/url]

Offline santela

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 25 May 2021, 22:00:27 »
Would you consider changing the mods font to light blue on white that is consistent with the alpha colors? I really think that would appeal to more people, as orange with glacier blue doesn't really go together imo.

Offline MIGHTY CHICKEN

• buck buck, cluck cluck, squawk squawk
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 25 May 2021, 22:07:10 »
Put numpad in base ffs and kill one of the bases, two bases on a set that doesn't look to be appealing to the mass public is just dumb.

Offline GabMurph

« Reply #15 on: Tue, 25 May 2021, 23:29:04 »
Just filled out your IC, I think it has potential, but would highly consider rebranding. Mountaineering is a very broad subject, and it seems as though you're focusing more on the snow and ice mountaineering, so make it more recognizable (expedition, everest, etc.)

Offline Preston Walz

• Operating since 2020.
    • Discord Server
« Reply #16 on: Tue, 25 May 2021, 23:32:38 »
Just filled out your IC, I think it has potential, but would highly consider rebranding. Mountaineering is a very broad subject, and it seems as though you're focusing more on the snow and ice mountaineering, so make it more recognizable (expedition, everest, etc.)

This suggestion is definitely one I will be taking into account, I feel this would be a viable change to this set. Thank you for filling out the IC!

Offline saam

« Reply #17 on: Wed, 26 May 2021, 00:33:30 »
It is looking good, but I do not really see how this ties in with mountaineering.
Especially the orange set.  :thumb:

Sam E

Offline Preston Walz

• Operating since 2020.
    • Discord Server
« Reply #18 on: Wed, 26 May 2021, 01:09:42 »
It is looking good, but I do not really see how this ties in with mountaineering.
Especially the orange set.  :thumb:

Cool inspiration and theme, tho, not getting “mountaineering” vibes from the colors. Also, IC needs work

My issue is that I don't think either colorways fit the theme, and the neon orange isn't my taste. Clearly you have a bit of work to do on this, but I think with enough effort you can work it out. GLWIC!

When I look at this keyset, it does not remind me of mountaineering. I also think the set from a design perspective could be better. The contrast is pretty bad, you and effectively have two sets here.

You guys are not going unheard, I hear you all loud and clear and have already come to the conclusion that this set needs a new name. I will find a name that will translate the theme of the set better, it likely would still revolve around mountaineering but narrowed down to a certain aspect of Mountaineering. Thank you all for helping me make my product better. :thumb:
Edit: (GMK Mountaineering stays, no name change)
« Last Edit: Mon, 14 June 2021, 11:49:22 by Preston Walz »

Offline jamster

« Reply #19 on: Wed, 26 May 2021, 02:49:19 »
Is it more usual for colourways to draw inspiration from activities that the designer is intimately familiar with?

I have some mountaineering experience, more at the beginner/wannabe level, but it does include rock/ice/alpine on three continents, and I recognised none of the colours or the colour combinations. The light blue isn't really a high altitude blue- some photos might make it look light blue, but in my experience it is typically is a lot darker and purer, especially as you want to summit as early as possible to avoid avalanche risk. Looks like the orange might have been from some of the Mountain Hardwear tents but the more recognisable, iconic, colour would be TNF Yellow. MSR is deep red.

I think that the lighter mix is actually quite pleasing, but the 'mountaineering' bit is a stretch.

[Edited because I forgot words]

« Last Edit: Wed, 26 May 2021, 04:37:44 by jamster »

Offline dxxbox

« Reply #20 on: Wed, 26 May 2021, 04:47:25 »
A nice kits, but really did not link it with mountaineering.

Offline azzipa

« Reply #21 on: Wed, 26 May 2021, 22:13:18 »
dude, I totally get the mountaineering connection with the orange and white. good feelz for me. but i have a couple hundred summits and I can remember a “soft wind” on less than a quarter of those peaks. usually it’s windy, really windy or ‘hold on to something so you don’t get blown off your feet.’ so there’s that. anyway glwic  :thumb:
« Last Edit: Wed, 26 May 2021, 22:16:17 by azzipa »

Offline Preston Walz

• Operating since 2020.
    • Discord Server
« Reply #22 on: Wed, 26 May 2021, 23:53:37 »
dude, I totally get the mountaineering connection with the orange and white. good feelz for me. but i have a couple hundred summits and I can remember a “soft wind” on less than a quarter of those peaks. usually it’s windy, really windy or ‘hold on to something so you don’t get blown off your feet.’ so there’s that. anyway glwic  :thumb:

Thanks! I'm glad you could make a connection to the theme.

Offline ZavaZ86

« Reply #23 on: Thu, 27 May 2021, 12:52:04 »
Time to close the gates

Offline Pontus

« Reply #24 on: Thu, 27 May 2021, 12:53:00 »
I kinda like both sets but I think you only should go through with one of them (the orange one maybe  ;D ). Also work on the kitting and add more renders, numpad should be in the base and your iso support is split between the base and numpad kit