Author Topic: [IC] GMK CYL Extended 2048  (Read 18793 times)

Offline biip

• @biipmk
Re: [IC] GMK CYL Extended 2048
« Reply #50 on: Mon, 15 January 2024, 03:09:26 »
in for both basekits.

I'd rather see 3-key 40% support instead of wasting efforts on international kits that are never actually international

Sadly an international kit can never be complete, otherwise it would cost >$100.

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #51 on: Wed, 17 January 2024, 15:55:47 »
biip, are these new alpha and/or mod legends proprietary, or will GMK be able to use them freely?

Can you address this please, biip? Are the new legends going to be exclusive to yourself/Novelkeys, or will other designers also be able to use them (if they ask for permission)?

Offline CONIN

• Choripán Squad
« Reply #52 on: Wed, 17 January 2024, 17:23:55 »
Are the new legends going to be exclusive to yourself/Novelkeys, or will other designers also be able to use them (if they ask for permission)?

From biip's Discord:

"Just announced yesterday, this set is back, this time in double-shot! Same colors as EPBT, EC & MT3 editions. All kits are pinned in the discussion and can also be found on Geekhack. Kits suggestions are welcome, we still have some time to improve things. For this project I re-created a font from scratch, although I haven't named it yet; it's not yet finalized. In any case the new legends will be available to all designers in the future!"

Offline dvorcol

• dvorcol#5071
« Reply #53 on: Wed, 17 January 2024, 17:31:59 »
biip, are these new alpha and/or mod legends proprietary, or will GMK be able to use them freely?

Can you address this please, biip? Are the new legends going to be exclusive to yourself/Novelkeys, or will other designers also be able to use them (if they ask for permission)?

From biip's Discord:

"Just announced yesterday, this set is back, this time in double-shot! Same colors as EPBT, EC & MT3 editions. All kits are pinned in the discussion and can also be found on Geekhack. Kits suggestions are welcome, we still have some time to improve things. For this project I re-created a font from scratch, although I haven't named it yet; it's not yet finalized. In any case the new legends will be available to all designers in the future!"

Thank you for sharing the Discord update.

And thank you, biip, for sharing your new legends!

Offline biip

• @biipmk
« Reply #54 on: Thu, 18 January 2024, 02:01:36 »
Are the new legends going to be exclusive to yourself/Novelkeys, or will other designers also be able to use them (if they ask for permission)?

From biip's Discord:

Indeed, the plan is to release the legends just after Extended gets delivered :thumb:

Offline tactilesbad

« Reply #55 on: Thu, 18 January 2024, 03:13:44 »
in for both basekits.

I'd rather see 3-key 40% support instead of wasting efforts on international kits that are never actually international

Sadly an international kit can never be complete, otherwise it would cost >$100.
all the more reason to support a way larger number of boards with the 3-key 40% support

Offline Michabc

« Reply #56 on: Thu, 18 January 2024, 09:40:00 »
Second a R4 tilde/backtick key and R1 plus-minus/section - it's a MAC set!

And ..... please swap the CMD to the center in te renders - it hurts ; )

the only win-keyless we need is CMD :rolleyes:

Offline ariyankb

• ariyan#9999
« Reply #57 on: Thu, 18 January 2024, 12:24:59 »

+1

Offline Akele

« Reply #58 on: Thu, 18 January 2024, 16:07:55 »
in for both basekits.

all the more reason to support a way larger number of boards with the 3-key 40% support

You really don't like international kits do you.

Offline biip

• @biipmk
« Reply #59 on: Mon, 22 January 2024, 08:08:41 »
Base kits update!

Pricing is not 100% done yet but GMK is really helping out there! We will be able to offer a competitive retail price :thumb:

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #60 on: Mon, 22 January 2024, 13:08:01 »
Nice update. I think some of the punctuation legends, specifically < > , . ' " ^, appear too small visually when compared to the other legends, even though they're the right typographic size. Consider making them slightly larger for increased legibility and a more balanced look. (The same characters are also enlarged in the standard Cherry legend set.)
« Last Edit: Mon, 22 January 2024, 13:10:54 by konstantin »

Offline dvorcol

• dvorcol#5071
« Reply #61 on: Mon, 22 January 2024, 19:25:43 »
Nice update. I think some of the punctuation legends, specifically < > , . ' " ^, appear too small visually when compared to the other legends, even though they're the right typographic size. Consider making them slightly larger for increased legibility and a more balanced look. (The same characters are also enlarged in the standard Cherry legend set.)

Similar to how the ~ is already larger, which is not unusual.

Separately, I think the current dollar sign is too small. In most fonts it is slightly taller than the ampersand: $ &

In the end, it's a balancing act between legibility and appearance. For example, the numpad's ÷ × – = + legends are larger than its numbers. While I find the result visually appealing, others may disagree.

Offline biip

• @biipmk
« Reply #62 on: Tue, 23 January 2024, 03:56:32 »

Legends are still subject to slight modifications. I'm currently waiting for GMK to come back to me regarding technical feasibility of those.

Offline tactilesbad

« Reply #63 on: Tue, 23 January 2024, 09:48:29 »
in for both basekits.

You really don't like international kits do you.

I despise favoritism, it's either support for all languages or none

Offline rainkeebs

• rainkeebs.mx
    • Rainkeebs
« Reply #64 on: Tue, 23 January 2024, 13:33:15 »
so if the key set doesn’t support Xhosa it shouldn’t support english?

Offline vhaarr

« Reply #65 on: Wed, 24 January 2024, 00:14:00 »
I despise favoritism, it's either support for all languages or none

But it's not favoritism. "Which of these two apples is your favorite, the green or the red one?" is a question of preference, while "Which of these two apples would you invest your life savings into starting a business to sell, the green or the red one?" is a question of which apple will sell. You can't dictate what everyone else wants to buy, which _is_ preference, but at an individual level that they must be allowed to have and express.

You simply can't hate it, practically. It's entirely illogical. I worry for your mental health.

Just because some languages have a higher chance of selling addon sets doesn't mean they're anyones favorite. It just means they can sell.
Let the Holy Handgrenades rain.
Hammering on an old Happy Hacking Pro 2. Still going strong!

Offline biip

• @biipmk
« Reply #66 on: Wed, 24 January 2024, 02:46:12 »
Here is the pricing!

KitPrice
Light base kit$140
Dark base kit$140
Light novelties kit$45
Dark novelties kit$45
Light international kit$55
Dark international kit$55

Offline tactilesbad

« Reply #67 on: Wed, 24 January 2024, 05:46:35 »
You simply can't hate it, practically. It's entirely illogical. I worry for your mental health.
lmao cry about it, spending $55 as extra bc you can't remember what key does what is so sane though

Offline andreiborisov

« Reply #68 on: Thu, 25 January 2024, 06:12:12 »
I'd span accents in a separate kit, especially since they are the same color across light and dark variants. There is no need to have the same keys twice if you buy both base kits.

Offline mgsickler

« Reply #69 on: Thu, 25 January 2024, 08:13:22 »
I'd span accents in a separate kit, especially since they are the same color across light and dark variants. There is no need to have the same keys twice if you buy both base kits.

We actually looked at this, and it did not make sense to split them out. It would end up costing more for a customer to order both base kits + accent kit, vs the accent kits being included in the base.

Offline drewba

« Reply #70 on: Thu, 25 January 2024, 12:18:53 »
100% in for a dark set, maybe a light set also.

Offline cfw

« Reply #71 on: Sun, 28 January 2024, 09:12:10 »
I noticed a small error in international kits : ISO-FR 4 number key is wrong with $ instead of '.

But I should be in.

Offline biip

• @biipmk
« Reply #72 on: Mon, 29 January 2024, 02:16:33 »
I noticed a small error in international kits : ISO-FR 4 number key is wrong with $ instead of '.

But I should be in.

Indeed! Will be fixed :thumb:

Offline biip

• @biipmk
« Reply #73 on: Thu, 01 February 2024, 06:16:56 »
Since this is a very Mac-oriented set, could I request that the international kit include an R4 tilde/backtick key? It’s part of the layout of a Mac UK-ISO keyboard, and to date I usually put a random key there. But for a proper endgame keycap set like this, it’d be great to have it included!

Show Image

We just added it!  :thumb:

Offline XiXora

« Reply #74 on: Fri, 02 February 2024, 05:38:53 »
Since this is a very Mac-oriented set, could I request that the international kit include an R4 tilde/backtick key? It’s part of the layout of a Mac UK-ISO keyboard, and to date I usually put a random key there. But for a proper endgame keycap set like this, it’d be great to have it included!

Show Image

Does this include the §± key too as we're here?

Offline biip

• @biipmk
« Reply #75 on: Fri, 02 February 2024, 06:09:53 »

Show Image

Does this include the §± key too as we're here?

Sadly no. Tilde key doesn't require a new mold being made since it's already exist. That's why we were able to add right before the GB.

Offline hello21

« Reply #76 on: Fri, 02 February 2024, 07:58:01 »
Yes.

Offline biip

• @biipmk
« Reply #77 on: Fri, 02 February 2024, 09:16:41 »

Offline ryukomatoi

« Reply #78 on: Sat, 03 February 2024, 17:06:37 »
Unlikely to happen, but I wish it came in WS1 for a more modern look. Don't know what color cases will pair well with these. Regardless, it's a good looking set.