Author Topic: [GB] F104+SSK+122+62+77+50+Ergo orders now open! Kishsaver+Industrial Model F  (Read 2333687 times)

Offline ryahirv

Re: [GB] F62+F77 orders now open! New Kishsaver+Industrial Model F Keyboards
« Reply #50 on: Tue, 02 February 2016, 16:09:01 »
Are we supposed to be asking questions in here or the Interest Check thread?

The IC is still open? That seems redundant. I figured here as this is the official GB thread.

yep!  With far more activity than here also

Offline Ellipse

• Brand New Model F Keyboards
« Reply #51 on: Tue, 02 February 2016, 16:49:14 »
Nice Air Tree!  Yes quite a few people are waiting to get their finances in order this month and possibly sell off other lesser-used keyboards before placing an order before the 2/29 deadline. 

nick I recommend a case of each color if you can't decide on one!  Many are ordering a spare case or two because no one has volunteered to stock inventory.  If your case powdercoating gets damaged or full of indelible ink somehow (maybe a Pilot Precise V5 leak?  Yep I've had that happen before!) you will be glad you had an extra case.

romevi I recommend we keep questions specific to the group buy here (order status, discussing options, arranging shipping proxies to reduce costs) and general questions about new Model F keyboard development and features in the IC thread - like my future plans for a smaller aluminum case for the F62 and possibly the F77.

tassadarforaiur - I do not know which parts are likely to fail first in the decades to come.  Assuming component longevity is similar to originals, I would suggest getting extra flippers and springs at a minimum, and maybe extra inner foam as those components wear out most during usage.  I also recommend a spare Unicomp key cap set.  Even PBT keys wear down and become smooth over time.  This is not a guarantee, but I hope to include a few extra springs with everyone's order if there are any left over after the factory's and later my quality control checks.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #52 on: Tue, 02 February 2016, 17:30:37 »
Assuming component longevity is similar to originals, I would suggest getting extra flippers and springs at a minimum, and maybe extra inner foam as those components wear out most during usage.

Most here won't have just this keyboard in their possession but have hundreds all waiting to be used one day.  This keyboard shall be parked to the side just like an American Sportscar and only taken out once or twice a year to experience it's inputting glory that is unlike every other keyboard ever made.

This art piece shall be kept and admired each and every day, plus just knowing you have this keyboard under your roof makes life more pleasurable  8) .
« Last Edit: Tue, 02 February 2016, 17:33:28 by Elrick »

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #53 on: Tue, 02 February 2016, 21:52:22 »
Elrick will you not be using this keyboard to its full Industrial-strength potential every single day???  It should be able to withstand daily usage for a few decades! 

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #54 on: Wed, 03 February 2016, 00:44:50 »
Elrick will you not be using this keyboard to its full Industrial-strength potential every single day???

It'll be connected to one PC, like so many in the house but it'll be seldom used since I'll be mostly working off site every fortnight.

Don't worry, this baby won't be packed away forever, it'll be used between working shifts, until I arrive back home to witness it's full beauty  ;) .

I'll try and convince the Mrs to use it whilst I'm away but she has her own favorite PC setup for internet shopping.
« Last Edit: Wed, 03 February 2016, 00:49:28 by Elrick »

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #55 on: Wed, 03 February 2016, 01:40:47 »
I'm getting some extra cash before the months up, so I'll be placing an order soon.  :)

Is your secret to extra money drugs?

Offline atlas3686

• HHKB Elite
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Preacher at the church of Thorpe
« Reply #56 on: Wed, 03 February 2016, 01:51:56 »
Assuming component longevity is similar to originals, I would suggest getting extra flippers and springs at a minimum, and maybe extra inner foam as those components wear out most during usage.

Most here won't have just this keyboard in their possession but have hundreds all waiting to be used one day.  This keyboard shall be parked to the side just like an American Sportscar and only taken out once or twice a year to experience it's inputting glory that is unlike every other keyboard ever made.

This art piece shall be kept and admired each and every day, plus just knowing you have this keyboard under your roof makes life more pleasurable  8) .

Elrick will you not be using this keyboard to its full Industrial-strength potential every single day???  It should be able to withstand daily usage for a few decades! 

Haha speak for yourself Elrick, my F62 is gonna be my daily driver at home for years to come, I will probably rotate it with my 87u 55g once in a while just because I love the 55g topre feels too. After seeing all the F77 pics I wish I had extra finances to get one of those as well, they are much nicer then I originally thought.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #57 on: Wed, 03 February 2016, 04:33:45 »
After seeing all the F77 pics I wish I had extra finances to get one of those as well, they are much nicer then I originally thought.

The F77 is the ONLY Model-F to buy.

You youngsters always after smaller and smaller keyboards, just don't get that type of mentality any more .........  :p

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #58 on: Wed, 03 February 2016, 10:16:48 »
For once I agree with Elrick. :))

F77 is the way to go here.

Offline atlas3686

• HHKB Elite
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #59 on: Wed, 03 February 2016, 13:47:34 »
After seeing all the F77 pics I wish I had extra finances to get one of those as well, they are much nicer then I originally thought.

The F77 is the ONLY Model-F to buy.

You youngsters always after smaller and smaller keyboards, just don't get that type of mentality any more .........  :p

For once I agree with Elrick. :))

F77 is the way to go here.

Damn guys why are you doing this to me :) Wallethack living up to its name  :)) Maybe I can get enough together to get one on the later round.

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #60 on: Thu, 04 February 2016, 02:42:37 »
Order 1 of 2 placed

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #61 on: Thu, 04 February 2016, 04:26:23 »
Damn guys why are you doing this to me :) Wallethack living up to its name  :)) Maybe I can get enough together to get one on the later round.

It's the nature of Group Buys and this baby isn't going to be available ALWAYS.  Ellipse is right that some scumbags will buy up big here and then put it on Ebay for $1600USD each, later on.

Best time to buy this rare keyboard is NOW so don'rt wait for any fantasy price drops because it won't happen.  Once all the hardware is bought there is no re-do on all the gear later on down the track, 2016 is the last and only year you'll get to own a BRAND NEW Model-F Keyboard.

Would rather spend my money on this keyboard than get another Cherry MX or Thorpie model.

Offline atlas3686

• HHKB Elite
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #62 on: Thu, 04 February 2016, 04:49:47 »

It's the nature of Group Buys and this baby isn't going to be available ALWAYS.  Ellipse is right that some scumbags will buy up big here and then put it on Ebay for $1600USD each, later on.

Best time to buy this rare keyboard is NOW so don'rt wait for any fantasy price drops because it won't happen.  Once all the hardware is bought there is no re-do on all the gear later on down the track, 2016 is the last and only year you'll get to own a BRAND NEW Model-F Keyboard.

Would rather spend my money on this keyboard than get another Cherry MX or Thorpie model.

Agree with everything you just said, I wasn't planning on buying any more keyboards until this came along  :)) I just mean buy on the later ordering round and not the early bird, that will give me a few months to try get some cash together and hopefully see an improvement in my exchange rate. I don't expect any of these to be available after this buy at anything close to reasonable prices.

Offline Muramasa

« Reply #63 on: Thu, 04 February 2016, 08:44:38 »
Just a quick question about the F62 options, Color: Industrial Gray, Is this the same case color as the Gray F77 posted here?

Thanks
« Last Edit: Thu, 04 February 2016, 09:28:20 by Muramasa »

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #64 on: Thu, 04 February 2016, 12:55:13 »
Any word on the Paypal situation?

Offline AKmalamute

• HHKB Scrub
« Reply #65 on: Thu, 04 February 2016, 13:23:16 »
Placed my order for parts to make (eventually) an ergodox-style thing. then read page two where I find out PP is being dumb, yet again.

HHKB-lite2, Dvorak user

Offline atlas3686

• HHKB Elite
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #66 on: Thu, 04 February 2016, 13:36:14 »
Just a quick question about the F62 options, Color: Industrial Gray, Is this the same case color as the Gray F77 posted here?

Thanks

Yes it is although that F77 is a prototype and the colour might still be tweaked slightly.

Offline Vittra

• Airflow Optimizer
« Reply #67 on: Thu, 04 February 2016, 14:04:50 »
Ellipse - thank you for all your work in making this a reality. Another victim of the Paypal 180 day hold it seems :(. I'm sure things will get worked out prior to that though.

I'm currently researching exactly what I want, but it will be a F77 no doubt.
Filco MJ Linear R LE TKL

Offline dgreekstallion

• B.S. Fiend
« Reply #68 on: Thu, 04 February 2016, 15:56:48 »
Oh my god. THank you for this.
Recent keyboard fanatic.

Model F-122 convert.

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #69 on: Thu, 04 February 2016, 19:47:29 »
The Brand New Model F orders are thankfully still coming in - we just crossed the $40,000 mark in orders today!  Very impressive for the first week!  I was expecting about $100,000 based on current order interest over the entire 5 month period so this is a good start to the project.

Muramasa the gray will be similar to the IBM Industrial SSK gray, which in my view is a greenish gray.  The prototype colors will not be exactly the same as the production colors.

But yes you can get any of the 3 colors (gray, off-white, black) on either of the F62 and F77 keyboards.

hashbaz the senior exec has not been willing to help so far.  I have escalated the issue to their Executive Escalations team. 

AKmalamute do not worry - PayPal has not shut off order acceptance.  I hope to resolve this issue ASAP.

I have already been contacted by some sites offering to review the keyboard and interview me regarding the project! 

Also there are two German tech news sites with articles up already.  It's pretty clear by the user comments that they did not read the web site and just looked at the photo on the web site of an old-style looking keyboard and saw the price and made their remarks only based on that :(

http://www.pcgameshardware.de/Tastaturen-Hardware-255538/News/IBM-Model-F-Neuauflage-kaufen-1185232/
http://www.computerbase.de/2016-02/mechanische-tastatur-ibm-model-f-wird-ab-325-us-dollar-erneut-produziert/

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #70 on: Fri, 05 February 2016, 05:32:01 »
Also there are two German tech news sites with articles up already.  It's pretty clear by the user comments that they did not read the web site and just looked at the photo on the web site of an old-style looking keyboard and saw the price and made their remarks only based on that :(

http://www.pcgameshardware.de/Tastaturen-Hardware-255538/News/IBM-Model-F-Neuauflage-kaufen-1185232/
http://www.computerbase.de/2016-02/mechanische-tastatur-ibm-model-f-wird-ab-325-us-dollar-erneut-produziert/

Don't worry, it's info for morons who know nothing about keyboards.

Unfortunately a lot of these sites exist today pretending they know what they are talking about but what's worse, they draw their own faulty conclusions from a couple of pics.  Will this mean that Germans have lost their capacity to know anything about model-F keyboards or are they so far up themselves in regards to their own CherryMX technology, that nothing else exists for them? 

You can only draw your own conclusions here........   ;D

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #71 on: Fri, 05 February 2016, 06:51:06 »
Nice pun Elrick regarding them losing the "capacity" to know anything about Model F keyboards :)

Offline dgreekstallion

• B.S. Fiend
« Reply #72 on: Fri, 05 February 2016, 08:47:39 »
I'm so f*****g excited about this I can't even control myself.
Recent keyboard fanatic.

Model F-122 convert.

Offline dgreekstallion

• B.S. Fiend
« Reply #73 on: Fri, 05 February 2016, 08:53:28 »
Just got an F77. I'm as happy as Donald Trump at a wig store.
Recent keyboard fanatic.

Model F-122 convert.

Offline cjhard

• Claudia the Magnificent
« Reply #74 on: Fri, 05 February 2016, 08:54:42 »
I promise I will buy myself (minimum) one of these.. Rent is paid, debit pending, but roommate now owes me enough to cover almost two of these out of her tax refund before 02-29.

Will you be releasing any of the CAD work you've put into these in case someone needs to know the key separation or back-plate curvature for a maybe Model FErgoDox? :P

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
  • Also Known As Ergonomech
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #75 on: Fri, 05 February 2016, 17:16:45 »
glod damnit, i'm trying so hard not to pull the trigger but its so hard to resist this, seriously really hard. i literally have brought up the page every day.

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #76 on: Fri, 05 February 2016, 20:15:53 »
Glod why resist :)?  Model F keyboards tend to hold up their value well over time, meaning if your situation changes down the line you can always sell this later after the group buy ends - you may even get more than what you paid for it depending on demand.

I know that others are saying they are selling their more easily obtainable keyboards for an F62/F77.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #77 on: Fri, 05 February 2016, 21:30:43 »
Glod why resist :) ?  Model F keyboards tend to hold up their value well over time, meaning if your situation changes down the line you can always sell this later after the group buy ends - you may even get more than what you paid for it depending on demand.

So true, you should see the really crazy price for a standard Kmac Mini which hits easily over $700USD+ but an Ellipse Model-F keyboard will go into the four figure territory  :thumb: .

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
  • REEEeeeeEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeee
« Reply #78 on: Fri, 05 February 2016, 22:11:28 »
So is the F62 not available in industrial grey?

Offline naasfu

• The Curator
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • CURSE YOU HE-MAN
« Reply #79 on: Fri, 05 February 2016, 22:24:02 »

there should be a dropdown with options for industrial grey, beige and black:
http://www.modelfkeyboards.com/product/f62-model-f-keyboard-kishsaver/

maybe try reloading, since i think the dropdown didn't appear for me earlier on when i first visited that page.
a cute stray cat combination that comes out happily when you look at your face is cute

WANTED: gib clacks        post your mspaints!        post your rubber domes!

Offline Muramasa

« Reply #80 on: Sat, 06 February 2016, 10:28:17 »
So Ellipse,

What will be the plan for spare parts once the GB is complete? is the idea to buy spares now or do you think you will be selling then after the GB?

Thanks.

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
  • REEEeeeeEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeee
« Reply #81 on: Sat, 06 February 2016, 10:59:03 »

there should be a dropdown with options for industrial grey, beige and black:
http://www.modelfkeyboards.com/product/f62-model-f-keyboard-kishsaver/

maybe try reloading, since i think the dropdown didn't appear for me earlier on when i first visited that page.

Weird, must be a CSS/html issue. I don't see drop-down arrows. Unless the UI is supposed to be like that?

Offline Vittra

• Airflow Optimizer
« Reply #82 on: Sat, 06 February 2016, 11:06:50 »
UI for the drop down elements cuts off for me as well on multiple browsers, and different machines.
Filco MJ Linear R LE TKL

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #83 on: Sat, 06 February 2016, 11:22:52 »
These are so damn good man.... Great job!  :thumb:

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #84 on: Sat, 06 February 2016, 15:26:57 »
Sorry - the dropdowns should be fixed now. 

Yes Bro Caps you can order F62 and F77 in Industrial Grey, Off-white, or black.

Mura there is expected to be no spare parts availability after the GB ends as I don't want to hold lots of inventory.  If you want something I recommend ordering it during the GB!

Offline Jedi

« Reply #85 on: Sat, 06 February 2016, 17:04:50 »
Ellipse, why the extras, I mean is this something we really should be looking at too?  I sometimes jump on a group buy when options that I didn't really know that I needed or wanted were easily available and then its way too late for me to do anything about it.  I mean the extra case is a given even the paper thank you and the extra box with styrofoam.  I'm referring to the flippers and plastics and springs etc.  I mean are these things you should be really encouraging us to buy to ensure we have spare parts assuming we use the keyboard as our everyday board? I would like to know what you would buy or have extra on hand (especially since you have had the chance to use the new boards for quite awhile). 
I'd rather be safe than sorry.  Thanks

Offline ghostjuggernaut

• * Curator
« Reply #86 on: Sat, 06 February 2016, 18:13:32 »
Ellipse, why the extras, I mean is this something we really should be looking at too?  I sometimes jump on a group buy when options that I didn't really know that I needed or wanted were easily available and then its way too late for me to do anything about it.  I mean the extra case is a given even the paper thank you and the extra box with styrofoam.  I'm referring to the flippers and plastics and springs etc.  I mean are these things you should be really encouraging us to buy to ensure we have spare parts assuming we use the keyboard as our everyday board? I would like to know what you would buy or have extra on hand (especially since you have had the chance to use the new boards for quite awhile). 
I'd rather be safe than sorry.  Thanks
I believe the extras are aimed at people with restoration projects for other model f's. As it stands the only option is to cannibalize another model f if you are missing parts for one. By listing them separately people can order them for existing boards.

Offline iss

« Reply #87 on: Sat, 06 February 2016, 19:06:27 »
What are the differences between the XT barrels and the AT/new barrels?

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #88 on: Sat, 06 February 2016, 19:08:11 »
cswanic - not sure I understand your question.  As a note anyone can buy as many extras as you want during the group buy and from the beginning I expressed that this is a limited production run and that little to no spares will be made.  Every spare part is listed on www.ModelFkeyboards.com.

If you order your keyboard and then decide later you want extra parts, that is ok - you can place an additional order as late as 6/30 for the spare parts.

You could even buy a whole bunch of spares in anticipation of future projects that other people decide on. 

I am hoping that someone will volunteer to order a few thousand spare barrels and flippers to sell later on for future community projects.  Some people have expressed interest but I have no volunteers just yet.

My recommendation is to buy spare inside foam and spare flippers and springs.  This is not finalized but I do expect to include some leftover springs with everyone's order because springs may wear out and the foam may become less spongy over time- no one knows.  I expect to make the springs with some of the finest quality Japanese steel (the specific variant is actually advertised as piano wire!).

Part of the quality control of this project will be making sure all of the springs buckle successfully and reliably.  I expect to test every keyboard before mailing it.  This is why I have offered the option to pay a little more for an early serial and then I will put you ahead of the line.

iss the AT barrels are the ones being used for this project and they have the notch on the right side.  The XT barrels have the "pin" and are used in XT style keyboards. 

Offline Quackles

« Reply #89 on: Sun, 07 February 2016, 04:41:27 »
Any other Aussies ordered one of these? I'm so tempted to get the F77 but the exchange and shipping is killing me :(

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #90 on: Sun, 07 February 2016, 04:43:31 »
Any other Aussies ordered one of these? I'm so tempted to get the F77 but the exchange and shipping is killing me :(

I ordered an f77 and will order an f62 in a few months, its just a once in a lifetime oppertunity

Offline Quackles

« Reply #91 on: Sun, 07 February 2016, 04:45:21 »

I ordered an f77 and will order an f62 in a few months, its just a once in a lifetime oppertunity

Of course you have! Your SSK was amazing when I saw it (I was jealous of it!), no surprise you are keen on this :P

Going to have a night to think about it and see what to do.

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #92 on: Sun, 07 February 2016, 04:48:22 »

Of course you have! Your SSK was amazing when I saw it (I was jealous of it!), no surprise you are keen on this :P

Going to have a night to think about it and see what to do.

Haha i ended up getting a hhkb shortly after that also. Gotta catch them all, at least if you got one you probebly wouldn't have much trouble selling it if you had a change of mind  :thumb:

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #93 on: Sun, 07 February 2016, 10:12:36 »

Not sure what the extra costs, but I can imagine that, once the GB ends, getting one of these will be more than directly from Ellipse now.

Offline ryahirv

« Reply #94 on: Sun, 07 February 2016, 10:24:31 »
Order for Industrial gray F77 w $100 early-bird tooling assistance & Industrial SSK Blue key pack is in!!

VERY excited!
:-)

Thank you again to @Ellipse!

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #95 on: Sun, 07 February 2016, 15:17:13 »
Thanks for your support ryahirv, and for all the early bird tooling volunteers!  We're just waiting on 6 more early bird tooling volunteers to put in their orders.  I trust they will get it in before the February 29th deadline :)

« Last Edit: Sun, 07 February 2016, 16:29:54 by Ellipse »

Offline ApocalypseMaow

• Kitteh Overlord
  • Say WHAAT...
« Reply #96 on: Sun, 07 February 2016, 15:59:01 »
alright, got my second order in... should be all set now xD!!!
{WTT}HoffNudes(WTS)BLK LightSaverV2         
"#baby****fangerz" -Vesper 2015

Offline ryahirv

« Reply #97 on: Sun, 07 February 2016, 16:01:11 »

You get one of each?
Or multiple of something?

Offline ApocalypseMaow

• Kitteh Overlord
  • Say WHAAT...
« Reply #98 on: Mon, 08 February 2016, 13:12:31 »

You get one of each?
Or multiple of something?
just the 62 with parts for both shift setups and two cases!!!
{WTT}HoffNudes(WTS)BLK LightSaverV2         
"#baby****fangerz" -Vesper 2015

Offline ctm

• Hello, world!
« Reply #99 on: Mon, 08 February 2016, 19:16:44 »
My recommendation is to buy spare inside foam and spare flippers and springs.  This is not finalized but I do expect to include some leftover springs with everyone's order because springs may wear out and the foam may become less spongy over time- no one knows.
Do you expect the foam used in this production to age like those in original Model F? Even if I buy an extra set of foam now, will they age at the same rate as the one in keyboard, so they are not usable when I need them? (I don't know much about foam)
TMK Alps64 w/ Matias Quiet Switches in KBP V60 case.
Infinity60 with SKCM Orange Switches w/ TMK.
CM Storm QRF w/ Frosty Flake controller, Cherry MX Blue Switches and TMK firmware.

Coming:
Ellipse Model F F62.