Author Topic: [IC] DCS Solarized Dark - Starts 11/11 - Pricing is Live (for all vendors)  (Read 46520 times)

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
Re: [IC] DCS Solarized Dark
« Reply #100 on: Mon, 30 August 2021, 19:07:44 »
i don't believe they have 3u molds in DCS at all, and i know that they don't have 1u convex.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Aiwanei

• ThocKeys.com
« Reply #101 on: Mon, 30 August 2021, 20:16:15 »
i don't believe they have 3u molds in DCS at all, and i know that they don't have 1u convex.

They do have 3u concave, basically any key under 6u is concave. You can find what molds they have here https://pimpmykeyboard.com/template/images/DCSFamily.pdf
ThocKeys.com

Offline Aiwanei

• ThocKeys.com
« Reply #102 on: Mon, 30 August 2021, 20:18:50 »
Love it, and especially love the Gorton. Please add R3 PgUp, R4 PgDn to base for 65% support, and you've got yourself a buyer.

Do you know if SP has DCS molds for 3c and 1c spacekeys? Cause those would be a nice addition to the spacebars kit.

Edit: Somehow I missed the whole second page of this thread.

Consider replacing UK ISO with basic terminal ISO.  It reduces the amount of caps used for ISO support from 8 to 4 and you're still covering the layout fine.

I don't really see the point of UK ISO when a very small portion of ISO users (which are already a minority) will make actual use of the regional caps.
Second this, there are more than 1 ISO layouts, terminal ISO is the cheapest for all of us ISO users.

+1 to this. But even if ISO-UK stays, that's totally fine too — UK users get to have their keys, and it's probably not going to affect the price of the kit by much. However...

I have also tweaked the base kit slightly, adding in terminal ISO support (in addition to UK ISO currently), a 1.5u R2 Delete (in addition to the backspace) and a R1 1u delete that has colored legends, for ISO boards that have split backspace.

... This is not so fine. These changes are pretty much unnecessary. You don't need both ISO-UK and terminal ISO — it's either one or the other; having both is redundant.
As for R2 1.5u Delete, does anyone even use that (unless they're forced to)? I don't think so, but maybe I'm wrong. Maybe it's a thing with this colorway? My GMK set has it, and I hate it.
Anyway, what I am sure is that a vanishingly small number of people use split Backspace together with ISO Enter. However, R1 1u Delete with a colored legend has another use case, which is HHKB layouts with Delete above 1.5u Backspace, so for that reason, you should actually keep that key.

In summary, if I were you, I would do the following:
  • Drop either ISO-UK or terminal ISO keys — you definitely don't need both.
  • Drop the R2 1.5u Delete key.
  • If you want to add some extra keys to base, make it be some useful ones, and add R3 PgUp, R4 PgDn and, optionally (and only if you're not going to run a separate Mac kit), 1.5u Supers and a second 1u Alt.
  • Please keep the shebang keys, at least the 1u ones: for me, those are a key part of what makes SolDark keysets — SolDark keysets. As for the 1.25u ones, they do look kinda odd, so maybe replace those with Super.

Edit 2: wording, a few extra clarifications

Thanks for the feedback, I actually have moved terminal iso back out of base and into an NorDe kit.

I'll take your other suggestions under consideration.
ThocKeys.com

Offline pr0ximity

« Reply #103 on: Mon, 30 August 2021, 21:14:35 »
I'm interested
| Flickr | KMAC 1.2 | Koala | GSKT-00-Z | GSKT-00-AEK | GON NerD60 | Jane V2 CE | Whale | J80S | Ibis | Pro2 | Pro1 | 356mini | 356CL DGE | G80-5000 HAMDE | IBM 1390120 | IBM F AT | IBM F122 | IBM 3101 | Zenith Z-150

Offline ylothar

• Yo Ho Ho!
    • KEEB.it
« Reply #104 on: Tue, 31 August 2021, 01:51:23 »
I'm in, for sure  :cool:
«How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?»

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #105 on: Tue, 31 August 2021, 03:05:20 »
Thanks for the feedback, I actually have moved terminal iso back out of base and into an NorDe kit.

I'll take your other suggestions under consideration.

Sounds good, ty for your consideration :thumb:

Offline actress

« Reply #106 on: Tue, 31 August 2021, 15:23:03 »
Does anyone have experience with DCS? Is it closer to GMK or JTK in terms of sound?

Offline Rob27shred

• Insane in the Membrane! 👻
« Reply #107 on: Tue, 31 August 2021, 15:44:51 »
Does anyone have experience with DCS? Is it closer to GMK or JTK in terms of sound?

Neither TBH. DCS is much thinner than either GMK or JTK caps & makes for a higher pitched, poppier sound IMO. Don't let them being thin fool you though, they are very nice caps that can really compliment certain builds & switches nicely IME.

Offline Ensaum

« Reply #108 on: Tue, 31 August 2021, 16:50:57 »

Neither TBH. DCS is much thinner than either GMK or JTK caps & makes for a higher pitched, poppier sound IMO. Don't let them being thin fool you though, they are very nice caps that can really compliment certain builds & switches nicely IME.

What switches would you say pair well with DCS? I'd imagine clicky switches, naturally, but I'd think maybe creams or alpacas too?

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #109 on: Wed, 01 September 2021, 07:29:07 »

What switches would you say pair well with DCS? I'd imagine clicky switches, naturally, but I'd think maybe creams or alpacas too?

Light tactiles and light linears.

In particular, I use it with worn-in pre-tooled MX Browns. DCS produces a deeper, more 'clackier,' more Korean sound that GMK with MX Brown.

I don't know if it's the plastic or the hollow-spaces inside the keycaps, but they are definitely lower-pitched.

Modern DCS is thin, but that's what I'm using presently. There's even super-thick classic WYSE DCS if you can get it. It's even lower-pitched and way better than GMK in terms of sound.

Modern thin DCS allows you to feel the switch more than heavier keycaps allow you to. This makes a difference on the lightest tactiles like MX Brown. I also have some DCS on a custom keyboard with Everglide Jade. They are about Zealio V1 in tactility, and DCS works okay with them - they do feel a little more resistant than with GMK keycaps.

I have also read accounts of people preferring DCS with light linears. They're definitely something to use if you want to 'feel' your switches.

Offline Rob27shred

• Insane in the Membrane! 👻
« Reply #110 on: Wed, 01 September 2021, 08:29:10 »

In particular, I use it with worn-in pre-tooled MX Browns. DCS produces a deeper, more 'clackier,' more Korean sound that GMK with MX Brown.

I don't know if it's the plastic or the hollow-spaces inside the keycaps, but they are definitely lower-pitched.

Modern DCS is thin, but that's what I'm using presently. There's even super-thick classic WYSE DCS if you can get it. It's even lower-pitched and way better than GMK in terms of sound.

Modern thin DCS allows you to feel the switch more than heavier keycaps allow you to. This makes a difference on the lightest tactiles like MX Brown. I also have some DCS on a custom keyboard with Everglide Jade. They are about Zealio V1 in tactility, and DCS works okay with them - they do feel a little more resistant than with GMK keycaps.

I have also read accounts of people preferring DCS with light linears. They're definitely something to use if you want to 'feel' your switches.

I agree with everything said by HungerMechanic here, light linears would be my fav with DCS but it does allow you to feel light/med tactile switches much better than thick caps IME as well. Also of course clickys, they tend to make even some of the most obnoxious click jacket design switches sound better.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #111 on: Wed, 01 September 2021, 11:01:29 »

i haven't found a switch i don't like with DCS yet
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Ensaum

« Reply #112 on: Wed, 01 September 2021, 12:55:04 »
Interesting. I'm going in on pingmaster and I'm excited to try those on some nice blue alps I just got in recently. I have some ideas I want to try out with this set and dcs honeywell now too though, haha.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #113 on: Wed, 01 September 2021, 13:44:31 »
Interesting. I'm going in on pingmaster and I'm excited to try those on some nice blue alps I just got in recently. I have some ideas I want to try out with this set and dcs honeywell now too though, haha.

this set is MX DCS not ALPS (or at least it hasn't been indicated that this will be an ALPS set)
« Last Edit: Wed, 01 September 2021, 14:10:05 by Puddsy »

Offline Ensaum

« Reply #114 on: Wed, 01 September 2021, 14:27:32 »

this set is MX DCS not ALPS (or at least it hasn't been indicated that this will be an ALPS set)

DCS Pingmaster is alps though, which is what I would be using with my blue alps.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #115 on: Wed, 01 September 2021, 16:10:07 »

DCS Pingmaster is alps though, which is what I would be using with my blue alps.

ah i misread your message

Offline actress

« Reply #116 on: Wed, 01 September 2021, 16:24:40 »

Thanks for the input. Good thing I've got some 55g vintage browns ready for a build :D

Offline norm

• My kingdom for convex blanks
« Reply #117 on: Thu, 02 September 2021, 19:47:18 »
Definitely interested but is it bad that I just want the space bars since Break wouldn't provide us with a lazurite colored 2.75u/2.25u with GMK Birch?

Offline paperassgasket

« Reply #118 on: Thu, 02 September 2021, 19:53:21 »
Definitely interested but is it bad that I just want the space bars since Break wouldn't provide us with a lazurite colored 2.75u/2.25u with GMK Birch?

Don't get me started. There's not even a 3u to be found.
I don't think that these spacebars will be an excellent match, bit it's certainly better than nothing.

Offline tunb

« Reply #119 on: Thu, 02 September 2021, 20:07:40 »
So good

Offline norm

• My kingdom for convex blanks
« Reply #120 on: Thu, 02 September 2021, 23:02:11 »

Don't get me started. There's not even a 3u to be found.
I don't think that these spacebars will be an excellent match, bit it's certainly better than nothing.

I was just impressed that Signature Plastics had a stock color that was close to it! I'll take what I can get.

Offline Jefff

• jlabs.co
« Reply #121 on: Fri, 03 September 2021, 00:04:57 »
Very interested, hope this reaches GB!

Offline clayclws

« Reply #122 on: Fri, 03 September 2021, 10:36:27 »
Just got DCS Nightfall from Thockeys, and am incredibly excited for this as I have scoured as much as I can for GMK Solarized Dark but to no avail (just got into the hobby mid this year). Hope this goes into GB/pre-order/etc soon. If there are 2 bases (one with coloured mods, and another without), I would definitely buy both. If there is only 1 base, and additional mods, I hope there are some sort of alphas with sub-legends being offered.

Had been lurking in geekhack for a while but found no reason to join...but since Thockeys do not have a discord, I decided to join geekhack just to keep tabs on this.

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #123 on: Fri, 03 September 2021, 12:29:10 »

Thanks for the input. Good thing I've got some 55g vintage browns ready for a build :D

This is an ideal combination.

Offline Altain

• Formerly zungzangbi
« Reply #124 on: Wed, 08 September 2021, 03:45:45 »
When I first joined the hobby I always craved for a Solarized Dark set but it was already so rare to get by then. Had to give up one of my dreams as a beginner.
Now it's back on the menu again and I must say Let's gooooooooo

Offline hk21022

« Reply #125 on: Mon, 13 September 2021, 23:36:57 »
hmm another ABS darn. I would prefer PBT even if the legends are less crispy.

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Typing on: Brutal60, Lavenders Linears, GMK Jamon
« Reply #126 on: Mon, 13 September 2021, 23:56:17 »

When DCS / MW / ePBT etc etc are trying to compete with GMK, things like "crispy legends" are pretty important. Anything less and they'll still be the "lesser manufacturers".

I suppose you could make the argument that ABS is the lesser material, though :shrug:

ai03 Meridian ¤ Mech 27 ¤ E8.5 ¤ Brutal60 ¤ SSK White Label ¤ HHKB Pro JP ¤ vAEK68 Alps Blues ¤ RF87u

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #127 on: Tue, 14 September 2021, 10:47:53 »

When DCS / MW / ePBT etc etc are trying to compete with GMK, things like "crispy legends" are pretty important. Anything less and they'll still be the "lesser manufacturers".

I suppose you could make the argument that ABS is the lesser material, though :shrug:

DCS dyesub is actually quite good, i have a bunch of old ones that are really nice. i don't think SP can do the reverse dyesub that would be required for this set though.

on ABS v PBT, i don't think one is better or worse than the other, just different. i use shiny ABS caps pretty much every day because i like them. i've used dyesubs in the past that i've liked a lot too. just preference.

i do think that a lot of the "my keycaps are shiny and feel weird" issues can be resolved with a rinse in warm soapy water. that gets a lot of the gunk and oil off the caps and reduces the greasy weird feeling that some people dislike about it. i wash my keycaps every 3-4 months (regardless of material) for this reason.

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #128 on: Tue, 14 September 2021, 11:06:24 »

DCS dyesub is actually quite good, i have a bunch of old ones that are really nice. i don't think SP can do the reverse dyesub that would be required for this set though.

That's good to hear and helpful context

Which manus support reverse? IIRC Infinikey, keyreactive, and momoka; does epbt? Hard to hunt down info on them.
ai03 Meridian ¤ Mech 27 ¤ E8.5 ¤ Brutal60 ¤ SSK White Label ¤ HHKB Pro JP ¤ vAEK68 Alps Blues ¤ RF87u

Offline zea

• yeh
« Reply #129 on: Tue, 14 September 2021, 11:54:08 »

That's good to hear and helpful context

Which manus support reverse? IIRC Infinikey, keyreactive, and momoka; does epbt? Hard to hunt down info on them.

milkyway. epbt supposedly does but they're reworking their molds or something like that

Offline proelio

« Reply #130 on: Wed, 15 September 2021, 09:00:37 »
nice set, happy to see dcs getting some more custom designs! will buy when in GB.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #131 on: Wed, 15 September 2021, 16:18:24 »
milkyway. epbt supposedly does but they're reworking their molds or something like that

they bought new dyesub machines that will hopefully be better, but dyesub is more than just buying a better machine so we'll see

Offline sublyme

• sublyme_keys
« Reply #132 on: Wed, 15 September 2021, 21:26:30 »
Id likely be down to grab a set depending on the options. I would suggest some kind of poll or something to get the most accurate results

Offline Aiwanei

• ThocKeys.com
« Reply #133 on: Wed, 29 September 2021, 11:10:23 »
Group Buy Date and Vendors have been announced, will post updated kitting once renders are complete.
ThocKeys.com

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #134 on: Wed, 29 September 2021, 18:44:35 »
Group Buy Date and Vendors have been announced, will post updated kitting once renders are complete.

pog

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
Re: [IC] DCS Solarized Dark - GB Date and Vendors Announced
« Reply #135 on: Wed, 29 September 2021, 18:56:25 »
My wallet is ready

Offline clayclws

« Reply #136 on: Wed, 29 September 2021, 19:32:59 »
No SEA vendors? Monokei or iLumkb? Since you are working with Hand Engineering, maybe Lewis can introduce you to Beaming of Monokei?
Rebult just came in to save the day!
« Last Edit: Wed, 29 September 2021, 19:54:47 by clayclws »

Offline yqqdrasil

« Reply #137 on: Wed, 29 September 2021, 21:48:25 »
I would love a dedicated 40s kit, but I understand if there isn't enough interest, 3 key in base is already a blessing.

Offline Jefff

• jlabs.co
« Reply #138 on: Thu, 30 September 2021, 19:42:07 »
Definitely will be getting in on this!

Offline Chenson

« Reply #139 on: Fri, 01 October 2021, 02:17:47 »
Maybe a collab with HIBI MX?

Offline tngpq

« Reply #140 on: Fri, 01 October 2021, 03:48:24 »
Love the set and definitely copping but is there any chance of adding R1-R4 relegendables?

Offline Aiwanei

• ThocKeys.com
« Reply #141 on: Fri, 01 October 2021, 04:22:46 »
Love the set and definitely copping but is there any chance of adding R1-R4 relegendables?

The relegendables kit ideas being expanded with the updated kitting.
ThocKeys.com

Offline Aiwanei

• ThocKeys.com
Re: [IC] DCS Solarized Dark - GB Date and Vendors Announced - Kits Updated
« Reply #142 on: Fri, 08 October 2021, 14:01:36 »
I have updated the kitting images as well as provided some notes on the changes.  I would love to get feedback, and I will also be posting a new IC form in the next few days about these kits.
ThocKeys.com

Offline Ensaum

« Reply #143 on: Fri, 08 October 2021, 14:21:39 »
New kitting looks great as far as I can tell. Only suggestion I have is to maybe throw a couple widowed keys into the :whitespace kit.

Offline euphxenos

« Reply #144 on: Fri, 08 October 2021, 17:20:39 »
Please consider adding R3 PgUp and R4 PgDn.

Offline HappyB0T

• I'm a Piggie
« Reply #145 on: Fri, 08 October 2021, 21:50:26 »
DCS Incognito was canceled - I have some extra money to spend on DCS - I'm down.

Offline clayclws

« Reply #146 on: Sat, 09 October 2021, 07:04:02 »
Suggestion: icons only mod maybe? Like DCS paperwork

Offline Aiwanei

• ThocKeys.com
« Reply #147 on: Sat, 09 October 2021, 07:24:46 »
Suggestion: icons only mod maybe? Like DCS paperwork

Since this is based on an IDE theme I felt that having text or text+icon fit better (and I personally prefer text+icon over just text), but I do understand that draw of Icon only, maybe got a future set I'll do that.
ThocKeys.com

Offline clayclws

« Reply #148 on: Sat, 09 October 2021, 07:48:24 »
Since this is based on an IDE theme I felt that having text or text+icon fit better (and I personally prefer text+icon over just text), but I do understand that draw of Icon only, maybe got a future set I'll do that.
Alright. Understood. I have the nightfall and i just thought that the Enter + arrow, and the Shift + arrow looks odd compared to GMK’s as the Enter’s arrow do not flush with the Enter’s wording. And the Shift’s arrow is a bit condensed.

Glad the tab arrows have been shifted though!

Offline Capsy

« Reply #149 on: Sat, 09 October 2021, 18:44:51 »
That is a great relegendables kit. Thank you !!