Author Topic: [IC] KAM Ocean Front - Update - Groupbuy up!  (Read 70938 times)

Offline caviar

Re: [IC] KAM Ocean Front - New kits, added full-matte support!
« Reply #50 on: Thu, 23 July 2020, 18:20:12 »
Ok :) very much looking forward to this. Keep us posted  :thumb:

Have you considered a desk mat? I would like a matching desk mat.

Offline NathanielGoodtimes

• n/a
« Reply #51 on: Thu, 23 July 2020, 19:55:32 »
Looks pretty cool!

Offline caviar

« Reply #52 on: Sun, 02 August 2020, 18:19:12 »
lets hope they reply quick!

Offline aadk5

• AKA: feeebleminded
« Reply #53 on: Sun, 02 August 2020, 18:30:46 »
Oh, I LOVE the colors! Any way you could add a stepped caps option to both icon and text mods? Not sure if stepped isn't a thing usually done on KAM though

Offline sevenseacat

« Reply #54 on: Mon, 03 August 2020, 09:19:45 »
I love it, but I'd love it more in blanks.....

Offline Bonsa

« Reply #55 on: Tue, 04 August 2020, 02:29:03 »
Looks so much better with the diagonal gradient for ortho's!  :thumb:

Offline TeddyDrewski

« Reply #56 on: Sat, 08 August 2020, 21:08:34 »
Any updates on adding legends for the Ergodox kit accents instead of blanks? Hoping to use this for a bamboo ergodox and want to make sure it showcases the whole theme.

Offline Meijboom

« Reply #57 on: Thu, 13 August 2020, 14:21:07 »
Any updates on adding legends for the Ergodox kit accents instead of blanks? Hoping to use this for a bamboo ergodox and want to make sure it showcases the whole theme.

Sorry, No legends on the ergodox kit.

Oh, I LOVE the colors! Any way you could add a stepped caps option to both icon and text mods? Not sure if stepped isn't a thing usually done on KAM though

Stepped is included!

They did!

Prices are in!
Talking with the vendors about pricing. once this is done we get it into GB a.s.a.p!  ;D ;D ;D

Also updates coming about the final kits with in a couple days, with some nice board renders
« Last Edit: Thu, 13 August 2020, 14:32:37 by Meijboom »

Offline caviar

Re: [IC] KAM Ocean Front - Update - Colour-matched and getting ready for GB
« Reply #58 on: Thu, 13 August 2020, 18:02:05 »
Amazing! Very exciting

Offline Surefoot

Re: [IC] KAM Ocean Front - Update - Colour-matched and getting ready for GB
« Reply #59 on: Thu, 13 August 2020, 19:37:31 »
This is going to look really nice with glossy KAM. Good news for the confirmation, will definitely get a set !

Offline aadk5

• AKA: feeebleminded
« Reply #60 on: Thu, 13 August 2020, 20:30:04 »

Stepped is included!

They did!

Prices are in!
Talking with the vendors about pricing. once this is done we get it into GB a.s.a.p!  ;D ;D ;D

Also updates coming about the final kits with in a couple days, with some nice board renders

Nice! What does stepped look like with the icon mods? I didn't see any renders or pictures of it on the original post

Offline Meijboom

« Reply #61 on: Wed, 19 August 2020, 12:53:40 »
This is going to look really nice with glossy KAM. Good news for the confirmation, will definitely get a set !

;D ;D ;D
Amazing! Very exciting

;D ;D ;D
can't wait to get it into GB

Nice! What does stepped look like with the icon mods? I didn't see any renders or pictures of it on the original post

I will render it this week, the renders are due for 22 august :)
« Last Edit: Wed, 19 August 2020, 13:33:55 by Meijboom »

Offline keyboardking

Re: [IC] KAM Ocean Front - Update - Final kitting! Renders coming 22-8-2020
« Reply #62 on: Wed, 26 August 2020, 13:43:23 »
Any updates?

Offline Meijboom

Re: [IC] KAM Ocean Front - Update - Final kitting! Renders coming 22-8-2020
« Reply #63 on: Wed, 26 August 2020, 14:25:49 »
Any updates?

Sorry for the delay, Corona virus has hit my family. We are doing fine now luckily the virus only had mild symptoms.

For the update:
- Samples are in, colours need some work to get it closer to what it should be. But the gradient is looking great! also fantastic contrast between glossy and matte keys!
- Renders are at 50%, only board renders, and novelties left :)

Offline MadBinton

• 40/45/65/75% user
Re: [IC] KAM Ocean Front - Update - Final kitting!
« Reply #64 on: Wed, 26 August 2020, 15:08:27 »
Good to hear you and your family has recovered.

Personally haven't been that lucky, I have lingering symptoms now even though I have recovered from it in March...

But to the set;

Looks great, and having been around the sea half my life, I kind of need this set. Love the icons and colours, hope you get the samples as close as the renders.

Would you mind sharing the samples, even if they aren't the right colours, to illustrate the (possible) contrast and shine / matte differences? I'm personally not yet sold on the idea, feels-wise, but if it looks stunning I might want to give it a shot and order the two different finishes.

Offline rockydbull

« Reply #65 on: Thu, 27 August 2020, 13:11:50 »
So I see there is an option of glossy/matte or full matte of the alphas, but what are the mods? Are they split glossy/matte or something else?

Offline komodo90

« Reply #66 on: Thu, 27 August 2020, 15:35:34 »
Glossy caps look stunning. Coming from standard GMK/SP sets, will those shiny candies use some special technique of polishing during manufacturing process? Or maybe it's the other way around - gloss in real is just regular smooth texture we used to see everywhere else, but the sandy ones use some special treatment for extra-grainy texture? Or BOTH?  :)

Second question - even the slightest chance to get full glossy set?

Offline DevilZmods

• Etsy Shop
« Reply #67 on: Thu, 27 August 2020, 16:07:18 »
@komodo90 from what I know, dye-sub and reverse dye-sub keycaps are covered in a hard UV-cured lacquer to protect them against abrasion. That coat can be glossy or matte (or the matte can be an additional coat on the glossy base, but not vice versa).

Offline Surefoot

« Reply #68 on: Thu, 27 August 2020, 17:28:41 »
Glossy caps look stunning. Coming from standard GMK/SP sets, will those shiny candies use some special technique of polishing during manufacturing process? Or maybe it's the other way around - gloss in real is just regular smooth texture we used to see everywhere else, but the sandy ones use some special treatment for extra-grainy texture? Or BOTH?  :)
There is no treatment. Keycaps are fabricated by plastic injection, the texture is entirely determined by the mould. So keycaps are directly getting that finish.

For KAM profile, Keyreative had to create two sets of moulds (one glossy smooth, one matte).

Dye sub technique actually adds a coloured ink into the surface of the keycap. As a result it's an additive process so you can only use darker tones compared to the base plastic, this is why to create lighter legends some manufacturers like Infinikey or Keyreative do a "reverse dye sub" process where the plastic color is the legend color, and the dye is applied all over the keycap (on 5 sides).

Offline constantinos

« Reply #69 on: Fri, 28 August 2020, 00:26:10 »
Great idea and really beautiful set. I can't wait to see the renders. I hope you/family recover soon.
Any plans for a desk mat for the set?
« Last Edit: Fri, 28 August 2020, 00:34:32 by constantinos »

Offline psxndc

[IC] KAM Ocean Front - Update - Final kitting!
« Reply #70 on: Fri, 28 August 2020, 10:21:22 »
Final Kitting!
The kits are split into 2 parts. Sand (kit A) is always Matte, and the water can be Glossy(kit B) or Matte(Kit C).
this way one can mix and match to his own liking.

This is brilliant. Just really innovative thinking. I was going to skip this set just because I use ortho and I think the beach effect is a little lost on a straight up and down alignment, but with this added shiny/matte effect, I might get it to put on an old row staggered board just to look at it. Well done.

== Edit ==
Wait, there's a color staggered ortho option? Oh I'm TOTALLY in.
« Last Edit: Fri, 28 August 2020, 10:24:49 by psxndc »
Ortho. Always.

Offline fatherfork

« Reply #71 on: Mon, 31 August 2020, 10:34:25 »
I know it's late in the process here, but can space keys be added to the kits? Unless there's already something there and I missed it. I have a 2.25u, 1.25u, 2.75u split space on my board.

Offline fabijolo

• I like expensive plastic.
« Reply #72 on: Tue, 01 September 2020, 00:18:14 »
I really like that you actually went for the different textures, my online problem with that is, that, let's say I would buy the glossy "water" alphas, I don't think I'd have a chance to have the ("watery/blue) mods match the texture/also be glossy.
I'd love to maybe see another mod kit with glossy "water" mods as well, but I guess we would end up having way to many kits, so I'd completely get it if you don't see this change as feasible.

Offline caviar

« Reply #73 on: Wed, 02 September 2020, 18:56:51 »
Can we have an update on pricing for vendors and estimated group buy dates?

Offline Lastpadawan

• Product design team and Vendor | LastPadawan.Store
    • LastPadawan Store
« Reply #74 on: Wed, 02 September 2020, 23:35:14 »
I really really like this colors you've chosen...just have no idea which board I would want to pair it with. Count me in pending a board that makes sense for these haha.

Offline Bubblegum

« Reply #75 on: Thu, 03 September 2020, 03:45:23 »
Will there be two setups of all kits, concerning matte or glossy. For example, if I pick up matte alphas, will the icon mod blue keys be glossy or matte? Or in my case the blue parts of North ISO? Same goes for novelties and so on. Don't want to end up in a situation where there are glossy blue caps next to matte ones.

Otherwise I think it's a very cool concept!

Offline caviar

« Reply #76 on: Sun, 06 September 2020, 18:35:50 »
Can we have an update on pricing for vendors and estimated group buy dates?

Offline reivyn124

« Reply #77 on: Thu, 15 October 2020, 21:23:14 »
Any updates?

Offline TheBlackHammer

« Reply #78 on: Sat, 12 December 2020, 23:12:06 »
hope to hear an update soon. really looking forward to this set!

Offline ChaosAirlines

« Reply #79 on: Thu, 17 December 2020, 08:43:43 »
Any news on this?

Offline Havattack

« Reply #80 on: Thu, 17 December 2020, 09:53:37 »
I understand KAM isn't as expensive GMK and stuff, but you might want to consider when exactley you run your group buy, as to not run it at the same time as other GB's, there's a TON of popular sets coming out in next couple months, if people are forced to choose between certain sets, it's likely everyone's totals sales will be less.

Offline ThickJimmy

« Reply #81 on: Sat, 19 December 2020, 23:56:13 »
I think you have a great design going here. I think as long as you're able to get the color matching spot on, it'll be a banger! Also really interested in seeing how the glossy caps can be done.

Offline rockydbull

« Reply #82 on: Tue, 22 December 2020, 11:36:14 »
I understand KAM isn't as expensive GMK and stuff, but you might want to consider when exactley you run your group buy, as to not run it at the same time as other GB's, there's a TON of popular sets coming out in next couple months, if people are forced to choose between certain sets, it's likely everyone's totals sales will be less.

At this point there is no time where there are not a million sets running

Offline Havattack

« Reply #83 on: Tue, 22 December 2020, 14:17:48 »

At this point there is no time where there are not a million sets running
......Yeah, you're probably right. Never-mind.

Offline Meijboom

« Reply #84 on: Sun, 03 January 2021, 12:08:46 »
A lot has happened in my life last couple of month's, Sorry for the delays, I will continue the project now I have the time!

Added the Canadian vendor, welcome Alphakeys.ca!

For now no timeline updates, I will keep you guys updated when I know more!

Offline Havattack

« Reply #85 on: Sun, 03 January 2021, 13:19:01 »
A lot has happened in my life last couple of month's, Sorry for the delays, I will continue the project now I have the time!

No worries, despite how some people act, most of us understand this isn't your job or anything, just a hobby. You don't owe anybody, anything. (Until people give you money)

Offline ChaosAirlines

« Reply #86 on: Thu, 07 January 2021, 16:04:56 »
I'm just glad this isn't dead and that you're still okay. :)

Offline Adqam64

« Reply #87 on: Thu, 07 January 2021, 18:05:03 »

Yup, excited for this but take your time!

Offline fabijolo

• I like expensive plastic.
« Reply #88 on: Fri, 08 January 2021, 00:04:35 »
Great to hear back from you, and I'm glad you're okay. :thumb:
Super excited to seeing this move forward again!

Offline watchsasquatch

« Reply #89 on: Fri, 08 January 2021, 16:31:57 »
A question and a suggestion here:

1. Are the mods also polished or are they all matte?

2. I'm not sure if you're interested in organizing artisans, but I've seen some great beach/ocean themed spacebars, and curious to see if you might be interested in organizing something with an artisan maker? I'm usually not a fan of artisans and spacebar artisans even less, but this one seems like it could be a great opportunity.

Offline Meijboom

« Reply #90 on: Wed, 13 January 2021, 15:48:42 »

2. I'm not sure if you're interested in organizing artisans, but I've seen some great beach/ocean themed spacebars, and curious to see if you might be interested in organizing something with an artisan maker? I'm usually not a fan of artisans and spacebar artisans even less, but this one seems like it could be a great opportunity.

1. The set is split into 3 parts, so it's up to you. You can go all matte, or half glossy half matte :)

2. I got some contact with some artisan makers for 1u keycaps, but nothing official. Do you got someone in mind for the spacebar?

Offline Meijboom

« Reply #91 on: Wed, 13 January 2021, 15:50:34 »
No worries, despite how some people act, most of us understand this isn't your job or anything, just a hobby. You don't owe anybody, anything. (Until people give you money)

Great to hear back from you, and I'm glad you're okay. :thumb:
Super excited to seeing this move forward again!

Thanks a lot guys, appreciate it!

Offline watchsasquatch

« Reply #92 on: Wed, 13 January 2021, 20:44:21 »

1. The set is split into 3 parts, so it's up to you. You can go all matte, or half glossy half matte :)

2. I got some contact with some artisan makers for 1u keycaps, but nothing official. Do you got someone in mind for the spacebar?

1. Hm, sorry if I wasn't clear or if I'm misunderstanding something, but I know the the right side of the alphas (the sandy side) is matte and the left side of the alphas (the water side) is either glossy or matte, but what about the TKL mods? Do we have a choice there too?
2. I personally don't know many artisans, but I know Jelly Key is one of the larger resin artisan keycap makers. Another person I happened to see on the r/mk subreddit that made a spacebar that was very fitting here: https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/ib66ot/i_taught_myself_to_make_artisan_keycaps_this_year/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

Offline psxndc

[IC] KAM Ocean Front - Update - Final kitting!
« Reply #93 on: Wed, 13 January 2021, 23:37:52 »
Just noticed: in the ortho kits, you have a right TAB key. That should be an apostrophe/quote key, no?
Ortho. Always.

Offline Meijboom

« Reply #94 on: Thu, 14 January 2021, 04:41:38 »
1. Hm, sorry if I wasn't clear or if I'm misunderstanding something, but I know the the right side of the alphas (the sandy side) is matte and the left side of the alphas (the water side) is either glossy or matte, but what about the TKL mods? Do we have a choice there too?
2. I personally don't know many artisans, but I know Jelly Key is one of the larger resin artisan keycap makers. Another person I happened to see on the r/mk subreddit that made a spacebar that was very fitting here: https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/ib66ot/i_taught_myself_to_make_artisan_keycaps_this_year/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

1. Yes, all kits are in 3 parts! so you can get kit A+B+C for a full matte + a full mixed board, for whatever setup you have :)
2. oh that looks like a perfect fit indeed, I will send him a message, thanks!

Just noticed: in the ortho kits, you have a right TAB key. That should be an apostrophe/quote key, no?

I just googled some layouts and it seems you're right. it's already in the alphas but a different shade of sand, I will check if it's possible to add one in the ortho kit, thanks for the headsup

Offline TheBlackHammer

« Reply #95 on: Sat, 16 January 2021, 23:24:10 »
Is it confirmed kits finalized? I would love to suggest a couple of keys to the forties kit! Specificity a 1.25u tab as well as a blue colors 1.75u shift. Really looking forward to this set!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Meijboom

« Reply #96 on: Sun, 24 January 2021, 13:23:45 »
Is it confirmed kits finalized? I would love to suggest a couple of keys to the forties kit! Specificity a 1.25u tab as well as a blue colors 1.75u shift. Really looking forward to this set!

I can see if I can still add those, I'll come back to you with the answer ASAP :)

Offline Meijboom

Re: [IC] KAM Ocean Front - Update - Boardrenders + All kits rendered!
« Reply #98 on: Sun, 24 January 2021, 16:41:35 »
The new renders are looking a lot more blue than the original ones which featured a more sea green gradient. Is the blueish look the intended outcome?

Yes, this is after some colourmatching we settled on those pantones.
Here are the samples, I really like the colours :)

The colours are a match with the pantones

Offline TheBlackHammer

Re: [IC] KAM Ocean Front - Update - Boardrenders + All kits rendered!
« Reply #99 on: Sun, 24 January 2021, 18:39:12 »
The new renders are looking a lot more blue than the original ones which featured a more sea green gradient. Is the blueish look the intended outcome?

Yes, this is after some colourmatching we settled on those pantones.
Here are the samples, I really like the colours :)

The colours are a match with the pantones
Show Image

Set looks amazing really looking forward to it!!