Author Topic: [IC] Syrup - Gasket-Mounted 40% in a Stacked Acrylic Case  (Read 13840 times)

Offline FootFingers

[IC] Syrup - Gasket-Mounted 40% in a Stacked Acrylic Case
« on: Sat, 13 November 2021, 13:53:33 »

Syrup is a gasket-mounted forty percent, built with a fully isolated plate in a stacked acrylic case.

PCB and Layout

Syrup is based on the UT47.2 layout, with some minor modifications. The bottom row has been modified to support a standard 6.25u space-bar, or a traditional split space (2.25u, 1u, 2.75u). It now also supports a full-size enter key in place of the colon / enter keys(2.25u). A full arrow cluster has been introduced on the right edge, which can also be swapped out for a more traditional Alt, Win, CTRL scheme if desired (3x1u). Colevrak support is also available by using the provided split enter option.

A rotary encoder and OLED display have also been added to the left side, adding versatility in a small-form factor.

Case and Mount

The PCB and plate are completely isolated from the outer case via the gasket-mount. A sheet of 3mm foam sits between the PCB and plate and acts as the bottom gasket on the top plate, with several smaller gaskets providing further isolation from the rest of the case. Both the PCB and plate have flex cuts throughout to distribute flex across the entire surface to provide balanced feedback. Three pieces of acrylic act as a riser and provide a 5 degree typing angle.

Renders

Updated Prototypes

The new updated prototypes include the updated bottom row layout, as well as the final color scheme and finish. Due to the rising costs of materials and chips, only one color is now being planned at this time. This change should allow for a larger order of the same PCB, meaning the overall pricing can stay closer to the original target. Prototype images can be seen below:

PCB and Plate Flex Cuts:

The plate is currently being redesigned, and will be made with POM. Pictures will be added once received in hand.

Additional Info / tl;dr

Case: Stacked Acrylic (Frosted top on proto's)
Mounting Style: Gasket with Fully-Isolated Plate
PCB and plate have flex cuts
12.5u wide
Underglow RGB (10 x LED's)
USB-C
OLED + Knob
Full-size enter / Traditional split-enter
6.25u space / split-space
Colevrak layout support

Follow Along

Interested in following this project? Fill out the IC here to register interest, or Join the Discord and grab the Syrup role to see more pics and receive updates as they become available.

This project is still in the early stages of development so changes to the design are still expected. Feedback from the IC and discussion is used to provide new features and improve where possible.

Credits
Nutbotty for the renders
« Last Edit: Fri, 03 June 2022, 12:05:30 by FootFingers »

Offline stidal

• milo#3939
Re: [IC] Syrup - Gasket-Mounted 40% in a Stacked Acrylic Case
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 13 November 2021, 13:56:02 »
very cute! will be following
transition tkl // aksara ce // bully // valhalla // voyager // rs60 // adiuvare // ciel60 // jules // prime e // ut47.2 // sequence // bumper // q1 // gaff60

Offline Kokaloo

• 🤘(• ω •)🤙
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 13 November 2021, 14:02:22 »
Uhh uhhh this is like that uhh other keyboard that duhh hasn't been released yet hurrr but it's a clone so uhhh no stop don't make this reeee it's just like *other keyboard* but *other kehboard* hasn't been released yet and is basically vaporware and has a design philosophy stuck in 2017 so uhhhh bad ic!!!! Bad bad bad!!!! You should be ashamed of yourself durrrr
« Last Edit: Sat, 13 November 2021, 14:04:24 by Kokaloo »

Offline NoteMakoti

• for sale, baby shoes, never worn
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 13 November 2021, 14:05:02 »
Uhh uhhh this is like that uhh other keyboard that duhh hasn't been released yet hurrr but it's a clone so uhhh no stop don't make this reeee it's just like *other keyboard* but *other kehboard* hasn't been released yet and is basically vaporware and has a design philosophy stuck in 2017 so uhhhh bad ic!!!! Bad bad bad!!!! You should be ashamed of yourself durrrr

Oh my god this uses pro micro too  :'(
40s gang doesn't move like that; we don't cry about resale value or die on a hill for a random designer's honor, we're happy for anything we get.

Offline matthewdias

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 13 November 2021, 14:07:15 »
looks pretty nice! especially if its affordable. just some things to point out

- you have it listed as 12.75u, but its actually 12.5u
- would you consider changing the split space layout to move the 1u to the right of the bars? i think it would fall under the thumbs better for most people that way. like so: https://i.imgur.com/uSrzQMU.png

Offline MikeTheTiger

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 13 November 2021, 14:07:29 »
It says 12.75u at the bottom of the OP, But I see 12.50u with Pearl stagger.

Offline FootFingers

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 13 November 2021, 14:16:10 »
looks pretty nice! especially if its affordable. just some things to point out
Thanks! The project is nowhere near pricing just yet but the goal is to make it as affordable as possible.

- you have it listed as 12.75u, but its actually 12.5u

Thanks for spotting that - just updated the info to reflect the correct length.

- would you consider changing the split space layout to move the 1u to the right of the bars? i think it would fall under the thumbs better for most people that way. like so: https://i.imgur.com/uSrzQMU.png

I'm open to changing the layout - tbh I'm not the biggest fan of the 1u in the center so that definitely needs some work.

Offline FootFingers

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 13 November 2021, 14:16:53 »
It says 12.75u at the bottom of the OP, But I see 12.50u with Pearl stagger.

Fixed - thanks for pointing it out!

Offline white_rabbit

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 13 November 2021, 14:26:34 »
I'm surprised it's taken this long for someone to pick up after Whimsy.

More bottom row options is definitely necessary - most people seem to hit the 1u in the middle and its not very aesthetically pleasing in my opinion.

Offline FootFingers

« Reply #9 on: Sat, 13 November 2021, 14:38:01 »
I'm surprised it's taken this long for someone to pick up after Whimsy.

More bottom row options is definitely necessary - most people seem to hit the 1u in the middle and its not very aesthetically pleasing in my opinion.

The bottom row will definitely be revised for more / other options. That seems to be the most mentioned item so far so I'll get some feedback on changes in the Discord and add it to the next board revision.

Offline Cipulot

• Website
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 13 November 2021, 15:37:02 »
The board seems very promising :cool:.
As said from someone before more bottom row options are needed but I'm sure that in the next updates that will be addressed.

For what concerns the USB C port location tbh I'm not sure if I'd like to see it on one of the left/right or centered as in the proto. One thing that I'd really appreciate is having pads somewhere on the board where I can hook up other peripherals, like trackball etc...... Exposed I2C and alike to tinker around a bit.

What MCU will this be based on? The usual atmega or something like an STM32? I know that the STM would be pretty overkill (and hard to justify) but that would open the door to some interesting options for mods that might not be wery memory optimized yet and need just that littel bit more of memory headroom.

For the rest nice work, I'll keep an eye out fro updates here and on discord :thumb:

Offline Clay333

« Reply #11 on: Sat, 13 November 2021, 20:04:00 »
Not a 40s user and not a fan of stacked acrylic, but something about this board has me very intrigued. I may end up picking one up of the price is right. Very nice design.

Offline ShandonCodes

« Reply #12 on: Sun, 14 November 2021, 11:38:12 »
Oh man, this looks really good. Excited to see this develop!

Sent from my LE2115 using Tapatalk

Offline hottrout

• I'd Hit Dat Key
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 15 November 2021, 03:11:26 »
Very useful for smart tv.  Would bluetooth be possible for this?
Current Daily Driver : Virgo - Ultramarine - Standard Lube  |  WTB : Topre Realforce Hi-Pro, please PM me if you have one for sale.

Systems -
More
Work |i9-7940x@4.8ghz|32GB(3600)|STRIX-RTX3090Ti|Bespoke Water, 360m Rad|X299 Prime Deluxe|EK x299 Monoblock|Optane 900p|2x1TB 960 Pro|2x10TB Helium|Dell U3415W + Dell UP2116Q
Home |i9-13900ks|32GB(7300)|Rog RTX 4090|Asus Z790 Rog Maximus Hero|Torrent Air|2TB 990 Pro|2TB 990 Pro|Dell AW3423DW QOLED|NEC MultiSync|Drobo16TB
Mining |i5-7500|16GB(2400)|H110 Pro BTC+|8x1080Ti|2x1650Watt PSU

Plus 40 years of collecting retro computers, consoles, games, peripherals, mainframes and mini's as well as their software, keyboards, games and manuals. 100's of systems including every Amiga model made
  Keyboards -
More
IBM 3101 | IBM 3276 | IBM 5150 | IBM ModelM | Dictaphone Dual Display | Vintage Cherrys (1982 onwards, just about all of them) | Commodore (all of them) | Nixdorf | Siemens | ICL | Apple (all of them) | Filco Majistouch | KBDFans 5degree - Chocolate | Rama M6-B - Moon | CA66 Silver | ClueBoard Graphite/PC | Varmilo VA69M Silver | E7-V1 SE Yellow | Rama U-80 Space Grey | VN66 Navy | BOCC Frosted Polycarbonate | Rama M10-C Midnight | FLX Virgo Teal & Black | Rama M60-A LYN Kuro | Space65 CyberVoyager WhiteGold | Space65 CyberVoyager Terminal | Hyper 7 | Clarabelle Sandblasted Polycarbonate | Elongate Mini 1800 Blue | Petrichor 1800 Red | Vulcan Maja Ergo Green | Think6.5v2 RoboCop | Jacky Bear 65% E-White | Sakabato CB87 TKL Champagne | KCK KY-01 Aquamarine | Jae J-01 F&F E-White & Copper | S7.7 E-White | The Adélie Blue | NIX OxalyS80 LE Dark Polycarbonate | Mesa TKL E-White | Smith & Rune IRON180 Graen/Brass | Skog Reboot Desert | CU7 Black | ROTR Silver & Copper | RAMA Kara Soya | Grid 650 E-White | SIX5 LE Aluminium & Gold | OwLab Voice65 Grey | BOX 75 Black Stainless Steel | Onyx E-White | Ikki68 BT Charcoal | Smith & Rune Iron 165 Graphite & Stainless Steel | Epoch 80% Black | RAMA Thermal SEQ2 Kuro | Paper Crane Gerald65 SE PC & CF | CB1800 ZANBATO | GLiTCH | Eclipse Grey & SS | TGR Tomo Silver | Mountain Ergo Black | Keebwerk NASU Black/Red | Phase One 65 Grey | Command TKL Fire | Chalice Frosted | VIENDI 8L Shadow | | Vulcan Maja PC | Glove 80 | Matrix 8XV 3.0 Starry Night | Sagittarius Grey Lilac | AKB OGR & Numpad Dolch | Type K Black

Offline conternecticus

• (¬‿¬ )
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 15 November 2021, 20:08:20 »
More bottom row options pls, would prefer a split spacebar without the 1u in the middle.

Offline spedywin

• Formerly spedywin
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 15 November 2021, 20:16:15 »
looks nice :O hopefully will be affordable to serve as an entry point for people looking to get into 40%'s including me

Offline FootFingers

« Reply #16 on: Fri, 19 November 2021, 16:32:38 »
The board seems very promising :cool:.
As said from someone before more bottom row options are needed but I'm sure that in the next updates that will be addressed.

For what concerns the USB C port location tbh I'm not sure if I'd like to see it on one of the left/right or centered as in the proto. One thing that I'd really appreciate is having pads somewhere on the board where I can hook up other peripherals, like trackball etc...... Exposed I2C and alike to tinker around a bit.

What MCU will this be based on? The usual atmega or something like an STM32? I know that the STM would be pretty overkill (and hard to justify) but that would open the door to some interesting options for mods that might not be wery memory optimized yet and need just that littel bit more of memory headroom.

For the rest nice work, I'll keep an eye out fro updates here and on discord :thumb:

Bottom row redesign is now top of the list to do for the next revision.

Its based on the Atmega32u4

Offline FootFingers

« Reply #17 on: Fri, 19 November 2021, 16:33:51 »
looks nice :O hopefully will be affordable to serve as an entry point for people looking to get into 40%'s including me

Target is to keep this pretty affordable for people looking to get into smaller boards. More info should be available later in the year.

Offline Mechboards

• * Vendor
  • Mechboards UK
    • Mechboards
« Reply #18 on: Fri, 19 November 2021, 21:15:21 »
Looks great!

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Offline ggggggg

• schmeiß die forties durch den club
« Reply #19 on: Sat, 20 November 2021, 00:41:43 »
I wonder how legible the display is through the frosted top layer. This is a cool design, looking forward to seeing more of it. If I may offer some criticism, imo it's worth the few extra dollars per unit to get some decent m2.5 or m3 standoffs and screws. I find those sort of details can elevate a stacked acrylic build.

Offline FootFingers

« Reply #20 on: Sat, 20 November 2021, 07:19:06 »
I wonder how legible the display is through the frosted top layer. This is a cool design, looking forward to seeing more of it. If I may offer some criticism, imo it's worth the few extra dollars per unit to get some decent m2.5 or m3 standoffs and screws. I find those sort of details can elevate a stacked acrylic build.

Agreed - I have some stainless steel standoffs and black hex screws on the way. Currently using M2 but that might change to something a bit chonkier if its looks better.

Offline WHeisenberg

« Reply #21 on: Thu, 25 November 2021, 13:32:42 »
Following with interest! Looks great!

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
« Reply #22 on: Thu, 25 November 2021, 20:22:31 »
Will you let me know why it is called  Syrup

I respect the 40s gang. I want to join it some day  when I become  deranged from  Geek hack IC posting
treeleaf64: https://discord.gg/rbUjtsRG6P

This is the cat and pat!!!!!!!!

Offline FootFingers

« Reply #23 on: Sat, 27 November 2021, 11:25:21 »
Will you let me know why it is called  Syrup

It is the superior lubricant

Offline lunatictaco

« Reply #24 on: Mon, 29 November 2021, 01:53:03 »
looks sweet (ba dum tis) anyways good luck with IC

Offline FootFingers

« Reply #25 on: Fri, 03 June 2022, 12:05:54 »
Updated thread with new prototype pcbs

Offline GEIST

• schwarzgrau
« Reply #26 on: Tue, 07 June 2022, 08:36:15 »
Maybe a stupid out of context question, but are this After Dark PCBs from Oshpark? They look amazing.
« Last Edit: Tue, 07 June 2022, 08:39:09 by GEIST »