Author Topic: New Dell AT101Ws $10  (Read 31636 times)

Offline lexicon

• http://www.word-detective.com
New Dells ?
« Reply #50 on: Tue, 09 December 2008, 23:09:21 »
Quote from: fkeidjn;14089
Got mine today.  Yes, it's legit and new.  I'm surprised that they have 200+ units still in stock.  How and where did they get so many???

So was it in a sealed box?

It is very weird that they would have so many new units.  Maybe somewhere out there there's a closet full of nib 1391401s....
IBM Model M 1391401 (1989)
IBM Model M 52G9658 (1993) x2
Unicomp Customizer 101 (black)
Solidtek ASK-6600U
Dell AT101W (way too many)
Dell AT101W (black)
Silicon Graphics AT-101 (1993)
Cherry G84-4100

Offline fkeidjn

New Dells ?
« Reply #51 on: Tue, 09 December 2008, 23:53:00 »
Quote from: lexicon;14098
So was it in a sealed box?

It is very weird that they would have so many new units.  Maybe somewhere out there there's a closet full of nib 1391401s....

It wasn't exactly vacuumed sealed in plastic, but I could tell it was new.
Kinesis Keypad - Filco FKBN104M/EB - Unitek space-saver - Acer 6511-TW - Apple Extended II (M3501) - Scorpius M10 - Cherry G80-1800, AT - SGI Granite - vintage Fujitsu - IBM Model M, 101 and mini - Model F, 84-key AT - Dell AT101W - Northgate 101

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
New Dells ?
« Reply #52 on: Wed, 10 December 2008, 00:04:24 »
These have been showing up from more than one seller lately.  I got two NIB earlier (and ordered 3 more from this latest auction).  Auctions like this (and the mk96's available...even though shipping is more expensive now then previously) are GREAT opportunities to get decent keyboards that you can give away to others.  While some people won't spend the money themselves for quality keyboards, if you put a decent one in front of them, they'll thank you for it.  :)

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
New Dells ?
« Reply #53 on: Wed, 10 December 2008, 00:14:41 »
Quote from: iMav;14102
These have been showing up from more than one seller lately.  I got two NIB earlier (and ordered 3 more from this latest auction).  Auctions like this (and the mk96's available...even though shipping is more expensive now then previously) are GREAT opportunities to get decent keyboards that you can give away to others.  While some people won't spend the money themselves for quality keyboards, if you put a decent one in front of them, they'll thank you for it.  :)

I noticed that the shipping is 20 bucks now on MK96s from the same auction we all got ours from a while back. They are just gouging people, and not shipping the number pad as stated in the auction to boot. What crap.

Offline itlnstln

New Dells ?
« Reply #54 on: Wed, 10 December 2008, 06:24:53 »
Quote from: kodos96;14066
Since I'm currently considering doing this exact same mod (alps black from a dell into an evolution), any chance you could document the procedure if you do go ahead with it?

Quote from: wellington1869;14068
yea, I wanna watch too...

Sure.  I think Wellington's latest post in the mods is going to cover most of the details, though, so if you want to get started, I think that would be the best place to start.  I won't be getting to my mod for a few weeks.

Offline wellington1869

New Dells ?
« Reply #55 on: Thu, 11 December 2008, 20:42:39 »
Quote from: xsphat;14036

And if the switches suck, I'll just put the real Alps whites in my MK96 in the new Dell.

I'm about to do this too, lol. That way I get a normal layout with white alps...

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

using: ms 7000/Das 3

Offline fkeidjn

New Dells ?
« Reply #56 on: Sat, 13 December 2008, 00:13:27 »
I attached some pics of the unpacking of some more I got, plus the back tag.
Kinesis Keypad - Filco FKBN104M/EB - Unitek space-saver - Acer 6511-TW - Apple Extended II (M3501) - Scorpius M10 - Cherry G80-1800, AT - SGI Granite - vintage Fujitsu - IBM Model M, 101 and mini - Model F, 84-key AT - Dell AT101W - Northgate 101

Offline fkeidjn

New Dells ?
« Reply #57 on: Sat, 13 December 2008, 00:14:16 »
And a pic of the guts of the black Alps

Offline wellington1869

New Dells ?
« Reply #58 on: Sat, 13 December 2008, 00:19:43 »
thanks for the pics!
I was so soured by the gritty board experience I cant even imagine what 'smooth' alps will feel like. I'm looking forward to re-trying it though.

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

Offline fkeidjn

New Dells ?
« Reply #59 on: Sat, 13 December 2008, 00:39:02 »
I'm still baffled as to how 250+ units showed up on eBay, and nobody's buying them...

Offline bhtooefr

• this switch can tick sound of music
    • bhtooefr.org
New Dells ?
« Reply #60 on: Sat, 13 December 2008, 00:43:14 »
My guess is a company may have went out of business, and liquidated inventory they had lying around?

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
New Dells ?
« Reply #61 on: Sat, 13 December 2008, 01:14:24 »
Quote from: fkeidjn;14540
I'm still baffled as to how 250+ units showed up on eBay, and nobody's buying them...

To us they are really nice keyboards, but to other people they are butt assed ugly.

Offline bigpook

New Dells ?
« Reply #62 on: Sat, 13 December 2008, 05:37:09 »
If it wasn't for the price, and that they are black alps, I would have passed. And yes, it is an ugly keyboard.
HHKB Pro 2 : Unicomp Spacesaver : IBM Model M : DasIII    

Offline D-EJ915

New Dells ?
« Reply #63 on: Sat, 13 December 2008, 10:40:44 »
I have a feeling the lack of purchases is from the fact that there are no pictures and there was no mention of at101 or whatever in the auction

Offline bhtooefr

• bhtooefr.org
New Dells ?
« Reply #64 on: Sat, 13 December 2008, 10:41:55 »
Well, also, there's the fact that some people just don't like black Alps...

Offline bigpook

New Dells ?
« Reply #65 on: Sat, 13 December 2008, 10:50:30 »
Quote from: D-EJ915;14573
I have a feeling the lack of purchases is from the fact that there are no pictures and there was no mention of at101 or whatever in the auction

Posting pictures of the Dell, in all its ugly glory, could possibly have discouraged ANY purchases : ) Just kidding....honest : )

Offline bigpook

New Dells ?
« Reply #66 on: Sat, 13 December 2008, 10:51:34 »
Quote from: bhtooefr;14574
Well, also, there's the fact that some people just don't like black Alps...

A friend of mine has the Dell with black alps and I swapped one of my model M's for about a week. I thought the black alps were pretty good. He didn't like the model m though, he felt it took too much effort to press the keys.
His Dell was old and used though, and somewhat yellowed. I am curious as to what a new black alps switch feels like.

Offline lam47

New Dells ?
« Reply #67 on: Sat, 13 December 2008, 11:29:46 »
If these were in the UK I would have pissed myself with glee.
Lucky yanks!
Keyboards. Happy Hacking pro 2 x2. One white one black. IBM model M US layout. SGI silicone Graphics with rubber dampened ALPS. IBM model F. ALPS apple board, I forget what it is. And some more I forget what I have.

Typewriters. Olivetti Valentine. Imperial Good Companion Model T. Olympia SM3

Offline wellington1869

New Dells ?
« Reply #68 on: Sat, 13 December 2008, 11:51:02 »
Quote from: bigpook;14552
And yes, it is an ugly keyboard.

agreed. Wish it were prettier.

Offline wellington1869

New Dells ?
« Reply #69 on: Sat, 13 December 2008, 11:53:14 »
Quote from: bigpook;14577
He didn't like the model m though, he felt it took too much effort to press the keys.

i agree the M's can feel like too much resistance sometimes, I think thats probably why I'm enjoying swapping them out with the alps board now and then. Maybe in the long run I will try to stick unicomp springs into a model M board (on the assumption that they are slightly lighter).

I am curious as to what a new black alps switch feels like.

me too, I'm surprised to see so many fans of it here, and for $7 bucks, why not.

Offline lexicon

New Dells ?
« Reply #70 on: Sat, 13 December 2008, 12:23:30 »
I think they're kinda purty, myself, especially the black ones.  I do have a visceral reaction to that Dell logo, however.  It's like using a keyboard with AOL stamped on it.
Solidtek ASK-6600U
Dell AT101W (black)
Cherry G84-4100

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
New Dells ?
« Reply #71 on: Sat, 13 December 2008, 15:39:03 »
Quote from: lexicon;14594
I think they're kinda purty, myself, especially the black ones.  I do have a visceral reaction to that Dell logo, however.  It's like using a keyboard with AOL stamped on it.

lol That's why I mock it in my sig. I have my Dell keyboard hooked up to my C2D MacBook!

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
New Dells ?
« Reply #72 on: Sat, 13 December 2008, 15:40:09 »
Hey Lexicon, are these identical to the Silicon Graphics AT-101 you have?

Offline wellington1869

New Dells ?
« Reply #73 on: Sat, 13 December 2008, 16:20:40 »
may have to paint mine black just to pretend its cooler than it is

Offline bigpook

New Dells ?
« Reply #74 on: Sat, 13 December 2008, 16:22:03 »
While its still ugly, I think it would look better in black.
What kind of paint do you use?

Offline wellington1869

New Dells ?
« Reply #75 on: Sat, 13 December 2008, 16:52:02 »
Quote from: bigpook;14628
While its still ugly, I think it would look better in black.
What kind of paint do you use?

I researched this at one point, and the fruits of my research was the following:  (I havent tried this yet but when I do try it, the below is what I'll attempt, I guess):

-1 can of "duplicolor vinyl dye" (glossy black) (use vinyl dye not vinyl paint, most people say can be found at auto parts store, tho I say ebay or amazon)
-1 can of duplicolor "adhesive promotor"
-1 can of "appliance epoxy" sealer
-light sandpaper (lightly sand everything including the keys if you want blank keys and are going to paint them)
-isopropyl alcohol
-nose mask and eye protection (recommended)

I think basically you sand it, clean it with alchol, apply adhesive promoter, apply a one or two layers of the vinyl dye, then final topcoat of the epoxy sealer. The pics I saw looked pretty damn good.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
New Dells ?
« Reply #76 on: Sat, 13 December 2008, 16:57:44 »

Offline wellington1869

New Dells ?
« Reply #77 on: Sat, 13 December 2008, 17:02:18 »
Quote from: xsphat;14642
Check this out

quote: "RITT Dye(used to dye clothes and sold at drug stores, Walgreens, Osco, CVS) on the nylon parts."

thats brilliant! You can have all kinds of colored keys with that, and it wouldnt cover up the lettering.

That gives me a ton of ideas... :) I think I'll paint the dell black and put in denim-blue keys!

(or for that matter I could just remove and dye the whole frame with RITT - even easier than painting, and might get some cool "tinted" effects (since I think RITT would only "tint" the plastic).

Offline fkeidjn

New Dells ?
« Reply #78 on: Sat, 13 December 2008, 18:12:00 »
Quote from: wellington1869;14644
quote: "RITT Dye(used to dye clothes and sold at drug stores, Walgreens, Osco, CVS) on the nylon parts."

thats brilliant! You can have all kinds of colored keys with that, and it wouldnt cover up the lettering.

That gives me a ton of ideas... :) I think I'll paint the dell black and put in denim-blue keys!

(or for that matter I could just remove and dye the whole frame with RITT - even easier than painting, and might get some cool "tinted" effects (since I think RITT would only "tint" the plastic).

Are you going to document your process?

Offline wellington1869

New Dells ?
« Reply #79 on: Sat, 13 December 2008, 18:19:13 »
Quote from: fkeidjn;14657
Are you going to document your process?

well it'll be at least a month before I try it, but I have used RITT before quite a bit (to dye clothes) so I'm somewhat familiar with the dying process itself. Based on that (and from what I gathered on the site that XS linked to):

--warm or hot water (in my experience, you dont have to boil it on the stovetop, so long as the water is very hot it will work, though with clothes they say the color sticks better if its boiling, but in the case of plastic keys, I dont think it would be wise to boil the plastic, as it may melt, who knows). Bucket (or if on stove, large spagetti saucepan).
--pour in the RITT (use whole package; if you want pink instead of red, buy the pink RITT (rather than trying to use half a packet of the red RITT). RITT comes in every color you can imagine. Also comes in powder versus liquid, either will do.
--Mix it well, put in the keys (or, clothes), and keep mixing, dont stop mixing. The reason you want to keep mixing is because otherwise you will get uneven dying. This is true for clothes and according to some of the comments on that site, is also true of keys). Keep mixing for 10 minutes.

thats it, take them out and let them dry before rinsing. That should more or less work (it will work for me cuz I'm actually only interested in "tinting" the plastic frame and/or keys, not in covering them up completely). If the color isnt dark enough, I think hotter water may be required (and maybe in that case it may make sense to bring water to a boil on the stovetop and then turn off the flame, rather than just using hot tap water).

Also in my experience, some dye colors work much better than others. The colors that work very well are black , navy blue, green, and red. The other colors tend to "deeply tint" rather than color. (Even with the above, sometimes it will take two dye-cycles to get the right shade you want, for instance, if water isnt hot enough, black will produce charcoal gray (which actually personally i'd prefer), and red will produce dark pink, etc). So you may want to apply it multiple times.

On the whole this does sound like a relatively very easy way to add a splash of color to the keyboard without having to mess with messy paints and sanding and all that. RITT costs like $1, is available everywhere, and in a rainbow of colors, and all you'd have to do is pop off keys and frame, dye it, pop them back on 10 minutes later.

When I do do it, I'll definitely document the result with pictures :)

P.S, and dont forget to buy red RITT just for the escape key :D

Offline Chloe

• Switch Kitten
New Dells ?
« Reply #80 on: Sat, 13 December 2008, 18:20:13 »
This puts me off trying Rit dye:

Quote from:
Down side, dye doesnt penetrate the plastic very much so any scratches will show up a bright white.

I tried some satin vinyl dye on an old keyboard with printed ABS keycaps and the letter still sort of shows so it might need sanding first. It also seems to change the finish. Part of the key was glossy from wear before, now it's satin like the rest of the key. It doesn't seem to scratch easily but I don't know how it will look with long-term use.

Offline wellington1869

New Dells ?
« Reply #81 on: Sat, 13 December 2008, 18:32:41 »
Quote from: Chloe;14659
This puts me off trying Rit dye:
I tried some satin vinyl dye on an old keyboard...

hmmm, once again chloe opts for the hard way... ;)

I guess I'm not expecting huge gashes in it while its on my desk...  also if that happens it only means another 10 minutes in the dye bath ;)

but yes, vinyl dye is a more industrial (and more desirable) solution if you have the time and space to do the work right...

Offline Chloe

• Switch Kitten
New Dells ?
« Reply #82 on: Sat, 13 December 2008, 18:45:47 »
Well, I'm not really happy with the finish, it still looks sprayed. It could be the brand I used (VHT). I think I'd rather keep it unpainted.

Quote from: bigpook;14552
If it wasn't for the price, and that they are black alps, I would have passed. And yes, it is an ugly keyboard.

I used to have a beige AT102R. They look better in black, but they still look like big old keyboards to me. Since developing RSI my priorities have changed, the switches are more important to me than looks. I could be typing on a Luxeed...

Offline wellington1869

New Dells ?
« Reply #83 on: Sat, 13 December 2008, 18:50:15 »
I wonder if the frame from a rubber dome dell "quietkey" keyboard will fit the at101? Those are sometimes avail in black for pretty cheap.

Offline bigpook

New Dells ?
« Reply #84 on: Sat, 13 December 2008, 18:58:08 »
Quote from: Chloe;14669
Well, I'm not really happy with the finish, it still looks sprayed. It could be the brand I used (VHT). I think I'd rather keep it unpainted.

I used to have a beige AT102R. They look better in black, but they still look like big old keyboards to me. Since developing RSI my priorities have changed, the switches are more important to me than looks. I could be typing on a Luxeed...

There is no way of getting around that, they are big old keyboards : )
The Dell will never be my daily keyboard ( the numpad kills it for me ), but its a cheap way to play with black alps. For what I paid for it, it wouldn't bother me to toss it when I was done with it.

I agree with you on the importance of the switches, but the form factor is a big influence for me also. Right now, I think the HHKB and Filco mini form factor and quality construction are at the top of my list. An honourable mention goes to the IBM model M spacesaver...

Offline bigpook

New Dells ?
« Reply #85 on: Sat, 13 December 2008, 18:59:27 »
I had to google Luxeed....not sure how to respond to that : )

Offline Chloe

• Switch Kitten
New Dells ?
« Reply #86 on: Sat, 13 December 2008, 19:07:57 »
Quote from: bigpook;14673
I agree with you on the importance of the switches, but the form factor is a big influence for me also. Right now, I think the HHKB and Filco mini form factor and quality construction are at the top of my list. An honourable mention goes to the IBM model M spacesaver...

It is to me too, and layout. I prefer compact keyboards like the tenkeyless Filco. The all-black HHKB looks really nice too but I don't think I can adapt to the shortcuts. I've become more aware of construction quality since getting the Cherry keyboards. They have flaws I've not seen in keyboards before.

Offline bigpook

New Dells ?
« Reply #87 on: Sat, 13 December 2008, 19:16:35 »
I don't have any Cherry keyboards to gauge. But I can tell you that the Filco Tenless is one well made keyboard. I think it is the best made keyboard that I have right now.

Offline bhtooefr

• bhtooefr.org
New Dells ?
« Reply #88 on: Sat, 13 December 2008, 19:20:03 »
I think the Luxeed comment is a reference to that Gigabyte gaming keyboard review thread, in which someone said that girls only like low profile flashing keyboards, and then a female friend of mine said that she would get the Luxeed (a low profile flashing keyboard) if she were a proper geek. :p

Offline Chloe

• Switch Kitten
New Dells ?
« Reply #89 on: Sat, 13 December 2008, 19:22:23 »
It's not actually, I wanted one (and a Filco tenkeyless) long before I joined geekhack. :)

Offline bhtooefr

• bhtooefr.org
New Dells ?
« Reply #90 on: Sat, 13 December 2008, 19:23:47 »
You do realize, because of your response (about low profile flashing keyboards) in that thread, we can never let you live that down, right? :p

Offline Chloe

• Switch Kitten
New Dells ?
« Reply #91 on: Sat, 13 December 2008, 19:27:53 »
Well honestly, I don't think these things are as gendered as some make out. I get frustrated when I'm reminded of what a girl is "supposed" to like.

Offline lexicon

New Dells ?
« Reply #92 on: Sat, 13 December 2008, 21:46:44 »
Quote from: xsphat;14621
Hey Lexicon, are these identical to the Silicon Graphics AT-101 you have?

No.  The form factor is identical, but the SGI is somewhat heavier and feels more solid.  The switches also have some sort of damper on them so they don't click as much. The keys also don't wobble like the keys on the Dells and have a little friction the Dells don't have.  The cable is longer and thicker.  It just feels a bit more expensive.

Well this is weird.  I just pried off a keycap on the SGI and they seem to be Alps switches with a white stem and a black surrounding mount.  The Dells have a black stem.  Are the SGI switches whilte Alps with some kind of damper?
Solidtek ASK-6600U
Dell AT101W (black)
Cherry G84-4100

Offline bigpook

New Dells ?
« Reply #93 on: Sat, 13 December 2008, 21:56:48 »
Quote from: Chloe;14688
Well honestly, I don't think these things are as gendered as some make out. I get frustrated when I'm reminded of what a girl is "supposed" to like.

I think its not so much the low profile as it is the flashing lights : )

Offline wellington1869

New Dells ?
« Reply #94 on: Sat, 13 December 2008, 22:50:28 »
got an old dell quietkey board that I'm going to try out the RITT Process on. I'm going to try to come as close as possible to that realforce 86 with dark charcoal keys and frame and bright red escape key.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
New Dells ?
« Reply #95 on: Sun, 14 December 2008, 00:49:07 »
I'm glad you guys like that link, I've been sitting on it for a while. I though tit was good idea and maybe a good way to get a charcoal keyboard with black keys like my old HHKB Pro 2 (which I must admit I'm starting to miss ...).

I'll watch your experiment with interest, Wellington.

Quote from: lexicon;14692
No.  The form factor is identical, but the SGI is somewhat heavier and feels more solid.  The switches also have some sort of damper on them so they don't click as much. The keys also don't wobble like the keys on the Dells and have a little friction the Dells don't have.  The cable is longer and thicker.  It just feels a bit more expensive.

Well this is weird.  I just pried off a keycap on the SGI and they seem to be Alps switches with a white stem and a black surrounding mount.  The Dells have a black stem.  Are the SGI switches whilte Alps with some kind of damper?

Thanks for the detailed and complete answer. I really liked the look of SGIs when they came up on eBay and I saw they had white Alps, but Robert from Northgate Repair told me not to buy one; to go with the Focus 2001 instead. Maybe that's why. I always wondered about that, come to think of it.

more about the Alps blacks. I still like them, but only after using them for a while. They feel kind of like really heavy Topres, so they might loosen up and be pretty nice, but for now I don't know.

Offline wellington1869

New Dells ?
« Reply #96 on: Sun, 14 December 2008, 01:25:56 »
Quote from: xsphat;14705
I though tit was good idea

I am struggling with myself trying to choose between a plethora of responses (sorry, I didnt get past that line, I'll go back and read the rest of your post ;)

Update: Ok, having thought long upon the opportunity that has thus presented itself, I've settled upon a response.
And my response is simply:

"qft".

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
New Dells ?
« Reply #97 on: Sun, 14 December 2008, 01:28:35 »
Oops. I'm not gonna fix tit either.

Offline wellington1869

New Dells ?
« Reply #98 on: Sun, 14 December 2008, 01:29:46 »

more about the Alps blacks. I still like them, but only after using them for a while. They feel kind of like really heavy Topres, so they might loosen up and be pretty nice, but for now I don't know.

I'm still convinced that grays are going to be lighter (resistance) than the blacks, tho I dont have proof yet. Will know soon as my blacks get here...

Offline wellington1869

New Dells ?
« Reply #99 on: Sun, 14 December 2008, 01:34:25 »
Quote from: xsphat;14708
Oops. I'm not gonna fix tit either.

:D