Author Topic: Any Northgate Omnikey users out there?  (Read 7420 times)

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
Any Northgate Omnikey users out there?
« on: Tue, 28 August 2007, 08:58:19 »
I have heard much about these keyboards, and I am wondering about them.

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
Re: Any Northgate Omnikey users out there?
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 28 August 2007, 09:45:02 »
Quote from: xsphat
I have heard much about these keyboards, and I am wondering about them.

Much like Unicomp took over the keyboard technology from IBM & Lexmark, I believe that Creative Vision Technologies, Inc. carries the Northgate keyboard technology torch.  I've heard good things about the currently available Avant Prime and Stellar keyboards.  They both use the Alps mechanical switches and are highly programmable.  

Personally, I detest the key layout they use (with the reverse L-shaped enter key and the backslash to the right of the right shift key)...but otherwise, I bet they are great keyboards.  ashort, another member here, used to LOVE this key layout if I remember correctly.

[ I think we may need to get one into his hands so he can give us a proper review ]  ;)

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
Re: Any Northgate Omnikey users out there?
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 28 August 2007, 13:05:47 »
Quote from: iMav
[ I think we may need to get one into his hands so he can give us a proper review ]  ;)

I have been following them for a while, and I have talked to CVT on the phone, they are real and one thing i really like about them is when you program the keys, they save in memory in the keyboard, which is really cool. But the Prime, which is the one I would buy, is $160, so I am hesitant as that would have me spending about $1000 on keyboards by the end of this year.

But if you set it up, I'll write a full review for you.

Offline iMav

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 29 August 2007, 02:40:20 »
I'd be interested in knowing how the Northgate and CVT Avant keyboards compare with the new Matias Tactile Pro 2.0 keyboards.  (since they all use the Alps slider switches)

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 29 August 2007, 03:41:23 »
My 20 year old Apple clicky keyboards have Alps sliders as well, but in all truth the buckling springs are better feeling (not). By the way, did you know that buckling springsare not mechanical switches? The Model M registers keystrokes via a membrane. Crazy, huh?

Offline iMav

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 29 August 2007, 04:45:04 »
My 20 year old Apple clicky keyboards have Alps sliders as well, but in all truth the buckling springs are better feeling. By the way, did you know that buckling springsare not mechanical switches? The Model M registers keystrokes via a membrane. Crazy, huh?

Yeah, I've had them apart before.

The buckling spring feedback is just plain awesome AFAIC.  :)

Here are some other alps slider keyboards I've run across online today:

Ortek Technologies MCK-142 Programmable keyboard - Throw minimalism out the door with this one.  I really like the idea of the programmable keys.  (but again, I hate that key layout)  It's sold under a few different brands.  Here's a link to Amazon with a review.

Focus 2001 Enhanced Keyboard - Only $39!  And I've read reviews that the tactile feedback with these keyboards (via the Alps sliders) is quite good.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 29 August 2007, 10:51:52 »
I'm not sure what kind of switches this one uses, but have you heard of this one yet?

http://www.barrys-rigs-n-reviews.com/reviews/2007/hardware/m10key/m10key.htm

Watch the video on the site, the sound is pretty amazing.

Offline iMav

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 29 August 2007, 11:10:37 »
I'm not sure what kind of switches this one uses, but have you heard of this one yet?

http://www.barrys-rigs-n-reviews.com/reviews/2007/hardware/m10key/m10key.htm

Watch the video on the site, the sound is pretty amazing.

Ooooo.  I like it!  If only it came without a numpad.  :)

That does appear to be quite a promising keyboard.  I have read nothing about it till now.  And at only $49, it is downright affordable too.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 29 August 2007, 12:53:55 »
I'm glad you like it, I have done so much research on keyboards and now I can start sharing it with some one who actually cares  :shock: This is cool, my girlfriend just placates me and my friends think I went insane.

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 03 September 2007, 03:30:19 »
I have one of these. It's very clicky. The travel is fairly short, and I can't stop my self from bottoming-out:

http://www.pcgamma.com/showthread.php?t=443

I believe they are Alps sliders, but I haven't taken any keycaps off to check. Incredibly heavy. The touchpad connection is serial and works with my USB adaptor in Windows and Linux, but not OS X. In any case, you don't' get special tapping zones/etc. As far as the OS is concerned, it 's a serial mouse. If you press Shift 4 times, the keyboard goes into "programming mode". It's supposedly programmable, but no-one seems to know how. Rebooting, or if connected via USB, unplugging and replugging, while holding down Escape, resets it. If you have wide shoulders, you'll probably love it. Alas, I don't think mechanical switches are for me. I got it from this place:

http://www.c-techsys.com/products.html (the web page is kinda slow).

Cheapest price by far.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 03 September 2007, 03:39:26 »
Quote from: Whiskey in the Jar-o
Alas, I don't think mechanical switches are for me.

What kind of keyboards do you like?

Offline iMav

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 03 September 2007, 04:04:44 »
I very much dislike touchpads (ok, I HATE THEM), so that keyboard would definitely not be for me.

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 03 September 2007, 04:44:44 »
Quote from: iMav
I very much dislike touchpads (ok, I HATE THEM), so that keyboard would definitely not be for me.

When I first started getting RSI, I forced myself to use the touchpad on my latptop. I actually don't mind it all now. It's a fairly large touchpad and the surface is neither slick, nor rough, but just right. The Northgate's touchpad feels somewhat small, probably more so because it's surrounded by a frame, so instead of sliding off, you hit the frame abruptly with your finger. Also the 2 buttons are so stiff, they are unusable. Thankfully tap-to-click works.

Actually, the mechanical action on this Northgate is very sweet. It definitely has a  "quality" feel. But like I said, after the breakthrough point where the key action is registered, the travel to the bottom is very short. And of course, there is no cushioning at the bottom. I heard that Alps keys get worked-in over time and become softer. Actually, last week it was an annual collection day in my area. Someone threw out an ancient NEC keyboard. I tapped on the keys and it was definetely mechanical, and the feel was Alps-like, but softer, so perhaps you can break them in.

Anyway, I've yet to find the holy grail. I rotate my keyboards, but currently I've been using this the most:

http://tech.yahoo.com/pr/cherry-cymotion-master-solar-m86-21950-keyboard/1991571017

All Cymotion (except for the Pro, which is scissor-switch) have pretty much the same feel. The Cymotion Express is a wired version of the above. The Cymotion Expert is even more rugged, much cheaper, but doesn't have any extra keys on the sides, and doesn't have a wrist rest.  (Note that the multimedia buttons below the space bar are recessed, you can't accidentally hit them). Actually, the Raptor Gaming K2 keyboard seems the same as the Expert, except it comes with a wrist  rest:

http://www.cherry.de/english/products/keyboards.htm

The Cymotion keyboards have 20% larger keycaps. They have a very hard-wearing, teflon-rubberized quality feel. I am not certain, but I suspect that they are heavier than normal keycaps. The mechanism is rubber-dome, but not like any other rubber-dome I've tried. It's nothing at all like a Logitech, MS, HP, etc. membrane keyboard. The travel is smooth, the spring-back is much quicker. I've heard the word mushy used to describe them, but I am not certain that it applies. Some force is required, and you can almost type without bottoming out.  Pressing on the edges is almost the same as pressing in the centre of the key. They keys are rated for 20 million presses. The keyboard is not quiet, but in a clacky, rather than clicky kind of way. Most of the noise is generated by the spring-back, rather than the press. Fast spring-back, like I mention. The space bar key is most definitely the loudest.

I've also been using the MS Natural 4000 when I need peace and quiet.

Offline iMav

« Reply #14 on: Mon, 03 September 2007, 07:44:55 »
It's amazing what vintage input devices are going for on Ebay.  Heck, the first Logitech Trackman Marble wheel's are going for $200 in some cases.  And as I've mentioned before, my refurbished, 20 year old, 84-key Model M cost me $125 (although I returned it).

Now that I know that the keyboards sold by Unicomp are genuine, I can't imagine paying any more for a used one.  

If you really like alps switches though, it appears there are few sub-$100 options...new or used.  I'd really like to try out a Cherry keyboard.  I have some at home but not sure if I want to start shipping a bunch over keyboards over here.  There are many brands that use the cherry switches and they appear to be quite affordable.  I can't believe how much the v.2 of the Das Keyboard is going for.  That is definitely not worth the money...considering the exact same keyboard can be had for less than $70.  (just dye the keys black yourself if you must)

Of course, I'm not sure I can really talk.  I gladly spent $250+ for my HHKB Pro.  Although, right now, I think I'd be more than happy ditching it for this keyboard full time (and, perhaps, a spare to back it up).

« Reply #15 on: Mon, 03 September 2007, 08:10:40 »
Well, it looked kinda icky (but the keypress was very smooth and clicky). Oh well. How does the Happy Hacking Pro feel? How does it compare with the Model M? Personally, I am not too keen on used keyboards. One the other hand, on clickeykeyboard.com, they say that the Unicomp keyboards just aren't the same as the vintage stuff.  But then again, I heard some Model M enthusiasts say that only Model M prior to 1993 is the right stuff. Have you notices any difference between the original Model M and the Unicomp? Is the Unicomp softer?

Offline iMav

« Reply #16 on: Mon, 03 September 2007, 08:21:29 »
Quote from: Whiskey in the Jar-o
Well, it looked kinda icky (but the keypress was very smooth and clicky). Oh well. How does the Happy Hacking Pro feel? How does it compare with the Model M? Personally, I am not too keen on used keyboards. One the other hand, on clickeykeyboard.com, they say that the Unicomp keyboards just aren't the same as the vintage stuff.  But then again, I heard some Model M enthusiasts say that only Model M prior to 1993 is the right stuff. Have you notices any difference between the original Model M and the Unicomp? Is the Unicomp softer?

The HHKB Pro is more smooth than clicky.  I think that, ultimately, I like the buckling spring keys best.  (but still need to log some significant time on alps and cherry keyboards)

Who ever said on clickykeyboard that the Unicomp doesn't compare is on drugs.  I received a circa 1988 Model M mini from them, sent it back, and received this new replacement from Unicomp.  The only difference (aside from the used one being, uhhh, used and having stuck keys) is that the IBM logo is missing from this unit.  

The bottom line, this comes from the same factory that assembled those earlier models.  It's the same thing!

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 03 September 2007, 13:06:40 »
So you are happy with it then?

Offline iMav

« Reply #18 on: Mon, 03 September 2007, 13:13:03 »
So you are happy with it then?

I thought that was obvious?  :)

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #19 on: Mon, 03 September 2007, 13:16:26 »
I was half joking.

Offline iMav

« Reply #20 on: Mon, 03 September 2007, 13:20:37 »
I was half joking.

And I was humoring you.   :wink:

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #21 on: Mon, 03 September 2007, 13:22:33 »
So you're returning it in anger then?

Offline cfishy

« Reply #22 on: Thu, 08 May 2008, 20:17:19 »
I have a few omnikeys in my garage. I don't really use it that much because some of them feel a little sluggish to me. but you will never make me sell any of them.