Author Topic: Bad news in Alps-ville  (Read 3796 times)

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
Bad news in Alps-ville
« on: Sun, 09 December 2007, 16:07:11 »
The Alps switches with black sliders on my SMK85 are officially too loud for the baby. I have been using the HHKB Pro 2 since we went to the hospital when momma went into labor, and since then, I haven't really time to get any real writing done. But today I'm feeling it hit so I plug in the SMK85 and start to type. Baby has been out for quite a bit, but the thunder of the keys wakes up immediately. This happens even with him in the other room and the door shut. What a testimonial, huh? Really ****ty for me though.

After just that much of this post, baby had a fit so bad it took me nearly half an hour to calm him down. So I'm back on the HHKB Pro 2. The kid killed my keyboard rotation, and now I am really glad I didn't sell this 'board. $200 isn't worth having to use the MacBook keyboard. I might try to use the Apple Desktop Bus keyboard with pink nonclicky Alps sliders later.

And elmomax, no, my SMK85 is NOT for sale, and I know you feel my pain.

Offline Bluemercury

Re: Bad news in Alps-vile
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 09 December 2007, 16:32:41 »
Quote from: xsphat
The Alps switches with black sliders on my SMK85 are officially too loud for the baby. I have been using the HHKB Pro 2 since we went to the hospital when momma went into labor, and since then, I haven't really time to get any real writing done. But today I'm feeling it hit so I plug in the SMK85 and start to type. Baby has been out for quite a bit, but the thunder of the keys wakes up immediately. This happens even with him in the other room and the door shut. What a testimonial, huh? Really ****ty for me though.

After just that much of this post, baby had a fit so bad it took me nearly half an hour to calm him down. So I'm back on the HHKB Pro 2. The kid killed my keyboard rotation, and now I am really glad I didn't sell this 'board. $200 isn't worth having to use the MacBook keyboard. I might try to use the Apple Desktop Bus keyboard with pink nonclicky Alps sliders later.

And elmomax, no, my SMK85 is NOT for sale, and I know you feel my pain.

How much for it? :D
Collection:
Das Keyboard II
Model M5-2
Model M5-1(considering selling this one)
Cherry G80-3000LCMPO with black switches
Cherry G80-5000HAMPO (Brown switches)
McAlly96
HHKP2 BNx2

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
Bad news in Alps-ville
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 09 December 2007, 16:34:24 »
Ha ha.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
Bad news in Alps-ville
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 09 December 2007, 18:01:19 »
It would seem the Apple Desktop Bus keyboard will work just fine for baby, so at least I'll have some nonclicky if not just a little stiff Alps goodness during the transition he WILL make toward being OK with the obscenely-loud SMK85.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
Bad news in Alps-ville
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 09 December 2007, 19:52:29 »
So here is the current Alps board in my rotation:

Offline ashort

• Hoosier Daddy
    • http://andrew.wingedwheel.net
Bad news in Alps-ville
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 09 December 2007, 22:17:34 »
Listen to yourself:

"I have to type on an HHKB Pro 2, it's SO unfair!"

=-D

Hope the kid is doing well.
Andrew
{ KBC Poker - brown | Filco Majestouch - brown | Dell AT101W | Cherry G84-4100 }

Offline Bluemercury

Bad news in Alps-ville
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 09 December 2007, 22:26:15 »
How do the alps switches compare to the cherry ones?
Collection:
Das Keyboard II
Model M5-2
Model M5-1(considering selling this one)
Cherry G80-3000LCMPO with black switches
Cherry G80-5000HAMPO (Brown switches)
McAlly96
HHKP2 BNx2

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
Bad news in Alps-ville
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 09 December 2007, 22:35:02 »
Both 'boards are Alps.

I have one with MX switches with black sliders that I don't like and one with ML switches that I do like.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
Bad news in Alps-ville
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 17 December 2007, 04:32:06 »
The baby boy is sleeping right next to me and I am clicking away on the SMK85  :D !

It took a little over a week to get him OK with the noise, but thank god he now is. I can write fiction again! This makes me soooooooo happy. Over winter break I can resume my novel in all of my spare time.

I am  :D I can type now without  :cry: so i can again create **** that makes my people  :shock: 'cause I'm so  8)

Offline fkeidjn

Bad news in Alps-ville
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 17 December 2007, 11:27:53 »
By the way, if I were to purchase the SMK85, how would I know what kind of keyswitches I'll be getting in the keyboard?  Blue Cherries, Black Alps, White Strongmans???
Kinesis Keypad - Filco FKBN104M/EB - Unitek space-saver - Acer 6511-TW - Apple Extended II (M3501) - Scorpius M10 - Cherry G80-1800, AT - SGI Granite - vintage Fujitsu - IBM Model M, 101 and mini - Model F, 84-key AT - Dell AT101W - Northgate 101

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
Bad news in Alps-ville
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 17 December 2007, 11:55:58 »
Call teh seller and have them pop off a key, it's the only way.

Offline karlito

• http://altitudegame.com
Bad news in Alps-ville
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 17 December 2007, 23:09:17 »
Quote from: xsphat
The baby boy is sleeping right next to me and I am clicking away on the SMK85  :D !

It took a little over a week to get him OK with the noise, but thank god he now is. I can write fiction again! This makes me soooooooo happy. Over winter break I can resume my novel in all of my spare time.

I am  :D I can type now without  :cry: so i can again create **** that makes my people  :shock: 'cause I'm so  8)

poor kid is going to be deaf by age 2 o_O