Author Topic: [IC] ePBT Inconceivable!  (Read 16670 times)

Offline RosesAreRed7964

• Designers of ePBT Inconceivable!
    • Wunderland Discord
[IC] ePBT Inconceivable!
« on: Tue, 09 March 2021, 07:52:44 »

Rendered on Haus by Hand Engineering

Once upon a time in a land far far away...
Meet ePBT Inconceivable! Inspired by the magic and nostalgic allure of fairy tales and adventure stories, Inconceivable! seeks to channel the whimsy, romance, and humor of those beloved stories into a classy, unique keyset. Featuring a serif font, the set's sophisticated design pays homage to the charming printed works of some of our great storytellers. With two inverse colorways inspired by the Pirates and Princesses who lead so many fairy tales, ePBT Inconceivable! is sure to delight fairy tale lovers and mechanical keyboard enthusiasts alike.

Some current thoughts...
Greetings Geekhack! This is a set that I've been working on for some time now, and I am thrilled to be ready to bring it here to IC with all of you! I am certainly still seeking feedback and thank you in advance for your polite, constructive criticism. I will do my best to balance all of the feedback I get as I continue to refine the set!

I also want to note that I am new to rendering and have done my best to match the rendered colors to the Pantones, but of course they are still digital approximations. In fact, to my eye, both colors skew a bit warmer in real life than the official hex code equivalents. The pink is a light neutral to slightly warm pink, and the teal is a rich, saturated one that falls fairly evenly between green and blue.

Colors
This is a photograph of the Pantone chips taken by a window. Please note that it's not a perfect representation of the color, but it should give you a good idea.

Google Form https://forms.gle/Rwi6kmaeP9BPXYtH7
Discord Server https://discord.gg/4MBJBJ2k8y

Kit Renders

Pirate Base Kit

Princess Alt Alphas Kit

Princess Mods Kit

Pirate Novelties

Princess Novelties

Text Mods Kits

40s and Ortho Kits

Numpad Kits

ISO Kit

Spacebar Kits

Kit Illustrator Flats

More

Deskmats

Mouse Deskmat

Landscape Deskmat

Cloud Deskmat (updated)

Deskmat Renders
More
Isometria by Ebaster on Mouse Deskmat

Ribbon by Misono on Landscape Deskmat

Nemui by Bachoo on Clouds Deskmat

Board Renders

Haus by Hand Engineering

Polycarbonate M0LLY by TKC

SP-111 by BlindAssassin111

More
Ribbon by Misono

V4N by evangs

Ellipsis by Rutomoda

Nemui by Bachoo

Maja by Vulcan

Isometria by Ebaster

Koyu by RamaWorks

Pillow65 by Kelium Works

Candybar by TKC

To Do List:
Receive Google form feedback
Add extended international support (interest dependent)
Finalize all kits
Continue to find vendors
Finalize date
Find artisan and cable collaborators <3

Vendors:
USA Divinikey (pending)
CA AlphaKeys
OCE Daily Clack
UK ProtoTypist
Others TBD

Collaborators:
Nerd Cables (will update with pictures soon!!!)
Others TBD
Feel free to reach out if you're interested in collaborating <3

Changelog:
Updated with new version of Clouds deskmat (Google Form responses can be edited if this affects your interest)
NEW COLLABORATOR: Nerd Cables!!!
[/b]Updated with text modifiers kit and modified spacebar kits

Thanks to:
Dr. Higsby and Matthewdias for the constant motivation, support, and advice
Misono for the amazing open source icon mods
Delapouite for the basis of the mouse novelty
Swishy for the amazing resources at the Keycap Designers Discord
NoPunIn10Did for the help with kitting
Andy and Kkirai for the advice
Napostrophe for the early suggestions
and everybody else who has helped me along the way <3

Google Form https://forms.gle/Rwi6kmaeP9BPXYtH7
Discord Server https://discord.gg/4MBJBJ2k8y

Show your support for Inconceivable!

Code: [Select]
[url=https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=111607.0][img width=480 height=120]https://i.imgur.com/HuawxCO.png[/img][/url]

« Last Edit: Fri, 12 March 2021, 12:28:56 by RosesAreRed7964 »

Offline RosesAreRed7964

• Wunderland Discord
Re: [IC] ePBT Inconceivable!
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 09 March 2021, 07:53:27 »
Update 2:
COLLABORATOR: I'm thrilled to announce I'll be working with NerdCables to bring you all a custom color-matched cable! Stay tuned for more :D
Deskmat A new version of Clouds deskmat has been posted. The Google Form allows edits, so if this changes your interest in the mat, feel free to  update there.
Kits New text modifiers kits in both Pirate and Princess colors have been added, Spacebars have been split into two kits and 3u spacebars have been added.
New renders have been added!

Update 1: A couple of key points after day 1 of interest check!
It has come to my attention that the Ferrous 145 was infringing on another design, so the renders of that board have been removed and will be replaced with another that showcases both set colorways. As it is late for me, additional renders will have to wait until tomorrow. Apologies to all involved for including these in the first place; I genuinely did not realize that they were a problem. I included the board because I like to show support to creators of 40% boards, hence my inclusion of boards like Ribbon and Ellipsis as well.
Second, Minterly's Bliss deskmat was brought to my attention, and I agree the clouds one in its current state is very similar. That mat was added last to give an option to those who wanted a pink mat, but it will be redesigned to look more unique or replaced with a different design. Currently the two options I've thought of are either a pink version of the landscape deskmat or an updated cloudscape featuring paper cut out style clouds and moon. Sound off if you prefer one or the other!
Finally, similarities to color schemes for upcoming sets have been brought to my attention as well. I will reach out to the creator of KAM Bouquet tomorrow to double check that this is okay, and MechsSupply already acknowledged that the set is different enough compared to the Green's Gambit to leave space for both.
« Last Edit: Fri, 12 March 2021, 12:31:57 by RosesAreRed7964 »

Offline Alejo1707

• Gimme some more caps!
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 09 March 2021, 07:56:17 »
Nothing speaks more of a set than a flaming rat  :))

I like the color scheme although not the deskmats tho.

Offline FishyKeebs

• hey
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 09 March 2021, 08:02:14 »
Color scheme is nice although I'm not a big fan of the deskmats, except maybe the forest one

Offline eskimojo

• KeycapLendar
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 09 March 2021, 08:04:35 »
Truly, you have a dizzying intellect.

Wasn't expecting a set based on this film - might just have to get one because I was raised on it, haha  :D

Offline KuroTheCrazy

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 09 March 2021, 08:06:46 »
Definitely in on this one

Offline dingusxmcgee

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 09 March 2021, 08:09:46 »
Colors are very cute and forest mat looks nice!

Offline violeaf

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 09 March 2021, 08:15:19 »
Love the colours.

Although personally not too sure about the mixed icon and text mods, I would have found it more natural to stick to with either all icons or all text.

Offline AASH

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 09 March 2021, 08:18:57 »
Nice colors ! Gotta love the kiiting too, good job and good luck with ic
40s, with love

Offline RosesAreRed7964

• Wunderland Discord
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 09 March 2021, 09:20:51 »
Hi everybody!
I just wanted to update with some general responses to initial pieces of feedback I've received across different platforms and in the IC Google Form.

Deskmats
I know the deskmats, especially the flaming mouse, won't be to everyone's taste, and that's hopefully okay! I really like cute fairy tale mice, so that's why I made that one! It gives me happy, Tale of Desperaux vibes (another general point of inspiration and fairy tale favorite) so that's why he's there :D
Also, I didn't realize Bliss had a pink cloud deskmat, so I may drop that one to avoid stepping on toes, and I'll check in with Minterly too. It was inspired by a particular image, and I wanted something lighter to match the pink since the other two were teal, but I certainly don't want to have something too similar to another designer's mat. Mats aren't usually my thing since my desk is too narrow to fit a standard mat, so I'm far more out of the loop regarding what deskmats have been created than keycaps!

Icons, Text, or Both oh my!
So the initial version of this set in my mind had only icons mods to help lighten the serif font, which across an entire board looked rather too formal for a more whimsical set but feel thematically appropriate. And the fact that Misonocons are so lovely made that choice even clearer to me! However, I really wanted to include the R4 text novelties and backspace novelty which then seemed dreadfully out of place on an entirely icon mod set. While I know some people won't like the set as well because of the mixed modifiers, it seemed like the best choice for my vision. Sound off though if this is a major turn off for you.

Colors
Like everything else related to keycaps, this is hugely based on preference, and again, I recognize not everybody will like the colors I selected. The colors come from the two kits' inspirations, and happen to be two of my favorite colors. Coincidence? ... :D Still, what better to represent Pirates and adventurers than teal, the color of forests at nighttime and the sea at dusk? And while perhaps a bit cliched, pink for Princesses and fairy tales more broadly seemed entirely fitting. I considered a lavender very early on inspired by the color of Amalthea's dress in The Last Unicorn, but I ended up preferring the pink you see today.
If you aren't a fan of the colors, that's completely okay, but I'll be upfront and say they are very unlikely to change going forward. I've worked with several people revising and confirming the colors, and I feel confident that they match with what I intend the set to look like.

Kits
Because of how ePBT does MOQ, there is a need for one base kit, but there is no MOQ for any of the child kits. Because Pirate, in my initial polling, was more popular than the Princess colorway, that one is the base kit. For those interested in the pink base, the alt alphas and mods should be very similarly priced! This is not confirmed yet, but looking at other ePBT GB pricing, that should be a fair expectation.
I am still seeking feedback about child kits and additional coverage. If you would like to see that please sound off in the Google Form! I'll do my best to accomodate what seems popular per that feedback.
Also, I initially forgot to add the numpad kits! Total face palm. That render was too big to upload to Imgur with the others apparently and therefore never made it into the IC, but rest assured, there is a numpad kit. Two in fact. It has been added! Sorry for any confusion about that!

I want to point out that throughout this, there is a definite "I designed like this because I liked it" vibe, and I want to assure you that that does not mean I am not open to feedback, but also I want to recognize that a lot of the design decisions were made because of my personal taste. Not everybody will like it and I hope that's okay. I understand that, and nobody is any way shape or form obliged to buy or support this set. All I ask for is that understanding in return and you all to continue to provide the polite, constructive critcism that I've been getting! <3

Offline DrHigsby

• The doctor is in.
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 09 March 2021, 10:15:08 »
Congrats Rosie! I'm here to support you!  :cool:

Offline joshuarubin

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 09 March 2021, 11:07:37 »
Tell me you love The Princess Bride without actually saying The Princess Bride...

Offline orb

• soft and round
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 09 March 2021, 11:15:52 »
The gradients on the mouse and star deskmats are not smooth/soft enough imo, but I like the set overall

Offline Chubby_potat0

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 09 March 2021, 13:07:24 »
Looks great! Love that flaming rat deskmat concept. Glwic!

Offline elfick

• Can I get Colemak and a side of fries with that?
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 09 March 2021, 13:18:01 »
Love it! I think it needs a harshly contrasting backspace key that says "Prepare To Die" in the Pirate novelties.... Or maybe a contrasting spacebar artisan that says "You killed my father, prepare to die!" :)

Offline asherw

• Personal Site
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 09 March 2021, 13:53:03 »
Sweet! Love the reference and the colors are great.

The only thing putting me off is the icon mods. I get the desire to do icons but they don't seem to fit at the moment. Maybe it's sizing/placement..? I'd be a lot more likely to buy if there was a text mod option.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

cool projects: 
More

Offline Bachoo

« Reply #16 on: Tue, 09 March 2021, 14:55:56 »
I like the colors you've chosen and the icons themselves, but not their alignment -- not a fan of the centered icon mods.

Offline fraymotif

« Reply #17 on: Tue, 09 March 2021, 18:29:25 »
Oh gosh, I love this colorway! I'm a huge fan of teal and pink, I feel like we don't get enough of it, especially this well executed with such a cute theme! Gonna hafta grab a set for my pink Whimsy when this runs ;D

Offline Clix4Clax

« Reply #18 on: Tue, 09 March 2021, 18:37:19 »
will absolutely buy at least a base kit and the cloud mat for sure. ive never seen my fiance want a keycaps set so bad lol

will buy base, mat, spacebars and numpad kit

Offline RosesAreRed7964

• Wunderland Discord
« Reply #19 on: Fri, 12 March 2021, 12:39:40 »
Sweet! Love the reference and the colors are great.

The only thing putting me off is the icon mods. I get the desire to do icons but they don't seem to fit at the moment. Maybe it's sizing/placement..? I'd be a lot more likely to buy if there was a text mod option.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

I like the colors you've chosen and the icons themselves, but not their alignment -- not a fan of the centered icon mods.

Love the colours.

Although personally not too sure about the mixed icon and text mods, I would have found it more natural to stick to with either all icons or all text.

TEXT MOD CHILD KITS KITTED ADDED

Alright friends! Here and on the Google Form, I've heard people ask for text only modifiers, and as such, I've added two child kits to accomodate this. Since the vast majority of responses seemed fine with the icon+text mods, these will be add-ons for their respective base modifiers. The kits aren't final, so sound off if there are specific things you want to see. I tried to keep the kits relatively small by just replacing the icon mods and adding only basic 3-key 40% support.

Hope that helps some people who were asking for that:D

Offline mvkoto

« Reply #20 on: Fri, 12 March 2021, 12:44:15 »
"You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."

Offline Havattack

« Reply #21 on: Fri, 12 March 2021, 18:59:29 »
"You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."
Thanks for posting that! The "Inconceivable!" quote and The "Princess" name of the second set, were making my brain itch, and your quote was the finale piece of the puzzle! I loved that move growing up.

Offline TomatoMan

« Reply #22 on: Sat, 24 April 2021, 09:52:26 »
Both of these sets are perfect imo! Can't wait to get this! Nice job  :thumb:

Offline Moosesarefun

« Reply #23 on: Tue, 25 May 2021, 13:28:02 »
Love it! I think it needs a harshly contrasting backspace key that says "Prepare To Die" in the Pirate novelties.... Or maybe a contrasting spacebar artisan that says "You killed my father, prepare to die!" :)

I LOVE this!!! Give us the this backspace!
I am so in for this set. I love the movies and the covers. Please make this happen! <3

I do wish the enter key arrows were either non existent or more cohesive. I think they look pretty odd.
« Last Edit: Tue, 25 May 2021, 13:30:23 by Moosesarefun »

Offline Luna

« Reply #24 on: Sat, 02 July 2022, 13:05:18 »
Interested.

Offline DaaDaa

« Reply #25 on: Sat, 02 July 2022, 14:38:28 »
i think comeplete text mods (shift, enter backspace, etc) might fit the theme better.
piggy60 red upgraded PVD w/ GMK umka zaku | tiramisuit w/ GMK noire JWK silk emerald | mr.suit black/chrome glossy chamfers w/ GMK minimal cow POM stem | jelly epoch w/ SA oblivion zaku | mode80 deco w/ gmk boneyard alpaca | mode 80 imperial with ePBT origami alpaca| MODE80 viridian /w CRP boba LT | RAMA thermal kuro w/ GMK muted 2 pewter | BBox60 C64 wih marshmellows and c64 keycaps | MODE Sonnet green /w MW voynich gateron ink box pink