Author Topic: [GB] XENO | 75% Custom Keyboard  (Read 187658 times)

Offline chowbabyloving

Re: [GB] XENO | 75% Custom Keyboard
« Reply #400 on: Tue, 28 January 2020, 00:16:29 »
Got my shipping notice today. Black w/rose gold full plate.

Looks like only rose gold boards are shipping out.

Offline lac29

« Reply #401 on: Tue, 28 January 2020, 16:59:40 »
Photos using indoor plant lights (more white than orange compared to normal bulbs). Not bad at all. Color matching reasonable and only somewhat noticeable under certain lighting or angles. There are machine marks on the Xeno logo inside the case on the weight as well as outside the case on the weight. Inside logo marks are more noticeable than the ones on the outside. I did not include the photo of this since I took it on my smartphone but I posted it in the Xeno discord. I have yet to open it up and look closely for any problems inside the case or in the screw holes.

https://imgur.com/a/PQDk9bY

Offline DukeEsquire

« Reply #402 on: Tue, 28 January 2020, 17:01:42 »
Photos using indoor plant lights (more white than orange compared to normal bulbs). Not bad at all. Color matching reasonable and only somewhat noticeable under certain lighting or angles. There are machine marks on the Xeno logo inside the case on the weight as well as outside the case on the weight. Inside logo marks are more noticeable than the ones on the outside. I did not include the photo of this since I took it on my smartphone but I posted it in the Xeno discord. I have yet to open it up and look closely for any problems inside the case or in the screw holes.

https://imgur.com/a/PQDk9bY

That actually looks fine.

Color matching isn't perfect, but not a nightmare like some of the other boards we've seen.

Offline skwrn

« Reply #403 on: Sat, 15 February 2020, 05:46:09 »
Almost one year passed since my order, still no update...

Offline Pwner

• * Maker
  • soon™
    • Ion Keyboards
« Reply #404 on: Sat, 15 February 2020, 10:38:30 »
Almost one year passed since my order, still no update...

Your best bet is to join the Zeal discord server.  From what I understand, the person who has taken over doing QC is actively updating what colors and when they are shipped.

Also, I want to reconfirm the use of VIA.  A couple people have had issues with using the incorrect hex and VIA not detecting.  Be sure to grab the latest version of VIA from here and also the correct WT75-a firmware from this page.
Ion | Keycult | Instagram

Offline skwrn

« Reply #405 on: Sat, 15 February 2020, 11:00:32 »
Quote from: Pwner

Also, I want to reconfirm the use of VIA.  A couple people have had issues with using the incorrect hex and VIA not detecting.  Be sure to grab the latest version of VIA from here and also the correct WT75-a firmware from this page.

It will be useful in the future. Thanks!

Offline Damage

« Reply #406 on: Sat, 15 February 2020, 11:02:47 »
BTW, Pwn3r, great job on the design.

I got mine, built it, and have been enjoying it. It's like B-stock quality overall, but the design of the keyboard is fantastic. Sound and feel are excellent. The layout is also just about the perfect medium for me in terms of size, aesthetics, and utility.

Offline StrangPrisoner

« Reply #407 on: Thu, 20 February 2020, 20:55:01 »
Got my black & rose gold Xeno. I think My PVD and machining is better than some but it's still disappointing. Color matching is off but doesn't bother me much. The smudges all cleaned up well enough but there are a lot of scratches. Added pictures though I am no photographer.

Offline ian13

« Reply #408 on: Thu, 20 February 2020, 23:54:31 »
It's like kbdfans quality but with a premium price tag. I would think kbdfans are even better.
I'm disappointed with what I received for the price that I paid.

Offline DukeEsquire

« Reply #409 on: Fri, 21 February 2020, 11:33:35 »
Pretty disappointing quality given the premium price.

Especially when you compare to what Monstar was offering for an in-stock item for 3/4 of the cost.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #410 on: Fri, 21 February 2020, 13:51:44 »

Especially when you compare to what Monstar was offering for an in-stock item for 3/4 of the cost.

But the monstar boards have crappy stabilizers (with no option to swap) and no QMK. 

Offline bobgr8

« Reply #411 on: Fri, 21 February 2020, 14:21:47 »

But the monstar boards have crappy stabilizers (with no option to swap) and no QMK.

https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/evj1an/one_of_the_reason_using_brass_plate/ffyfi0w/

its coming

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
« Reply #412 on: Fri, 21 February 2020, 15:52:10 »
Ne silver Xenos avail

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #413 on: Fri, 21 February 2020, 16:30:18 »

https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/evj1an/one_of_the_reason_using_brass_plate/ffyfi0w/

its coming

Well, that's quite nice.  Love their RGB stuff.  Not sure how they'll accomplish that in QMK.  Maybe just something more simple for the QMK port.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #414 on: Fri, 21 February 2020, 16:31:12 »
Ne silver Xenos avail

Did you see the one posted in discord? 

https://imgur.com/a/LrdiQEK

Can't wait for mine to get here.  Well... I've waited a year.  What am I saying?  Of course I can wait.

Offline donut_sauce

« Reply #415 on: Fri, 21 February 2020, 17:16:15 »
Ne silver Xenos avail

Can't wait for mine to get here.  Well... I've waited a year.  What am I saying?  Of course I can wait.
Same . Waiting for my Xeno and waiting for my 280, which will come first...

Offline StrangPrisoner

« Reply #416 on: Fri, 21 February 2020, 18:17:52 »
Same . Waiting for my Xeno and waiting for my 280, which will come first...
For what it's worth I got my 280 and the QC was much better. Still waiting on my 220 in the second batch though...
« Last Edit: Fri, 21 February 2020, 18:19:46 by StrangPrisoner »

Offline FactoryDefaults

« Reply #417 on: Mon, 24 February 2020, 09:14:59 »
Selling my spot, all black full plate + 65g zealios package. Order says rose gold but changed to black while GB was running. DM me.

https://i.imgur.com/a18y5nc.png

Offline fcnchuck

« Reply #418 on: Mon, 24 February 2020, 12:49:10 »
Ne silver Xenos avail

Waiting for silver as well. I like the way the silver turned out. I have seen mention of people putting inlay on the backplate to hide potential machine marks left in the logo. What is the process for this? What materials are used?

Offline Damage

« Reply #419 on: Mon, 24 February 2020, 14:00:23 »
Uh oh. My Xeno is down. Worked fine for a couple of weeks.

Now, when I hit backspace, I get: `12345
Up arrow produces: ZXCVBN

Tried an EEPROM reset and a QMK re-flash, no change.

I suppose the board is fried due to ESD?

Offline regionfree

« Reply #420 on: Tue, 25 February 2020, 01:36:26 »
Uh oh. My Xeno is down. Worked fine for a couple of weeks.

Now, when I hit backspace, I get: `12345
Up arrow produces: ZXCVBN

Tried an EEPROM reset and a QMK re-flash, no change.

I suppose the board is fried due to ESD?

i think the PCB was manufactured by wilba

Offline ReAvenger

• Sydney
« Reply #421 on: Mon, 09 March 2020, 07:37:32 »
Finally received by Black + PVD Rose Gold Plate.
PCB A+
Case outside B, one small nick on back, few minute scratches in ano, top and bottom pretty similar blacks
Case inside C-, rust in screw holes, 4 scrapes into anodization, dust piles and build up
Plates & Weight B-, scuffs on back of plate, one corner of weight not round, tons of machining marks up close.

Better than vaporware, but only just a little.

Offline skwrn

« Reply #422 on: Mon, 09 March 2020, 12:45:37 »
Finally received by Black + PVD Rose Gold Plate.
PCB A+
Case outside B, one small nick on back, few minute scratches in ano, top and bottom pretty similar blacks
Case inside C-, rust in screw holes, 4 scrapes into anodization, dust piles and build up
Plates & Weight B-, scuffs on back of plate, one corner of weight not round, tons of machining marks up close.

Better than vaporware, but only just a little.

Are you going to complain to Zeal about it? Sounds like something that should never be out for the sale. Rust in keyboard parts? It looks like you've been scammed.

Offline subluxe

• サブラックス
    • https://subluxe.ca/
« Reply #423 on: Thu, 19 March 2020, 00:53:22 »
For those that haven't been frequenting the Discord I have taken over the packing/ QC of the boards. I am giving consistent updates as to what colorways, and the quantities that we are shipping out.

Offline thornkin

« Reply #424 on: Sat, 04 April 2020, 17:25:58 »
I built my Xeno and found the ping factor a bit high. I ordered some 12" wide 1/8" thick neoprene from Amazon. Fit perfectly and really helps reduce the ping.  I hope some others can benefit from this.

Offline skwrn

« Reply #425 on: Thu, 25 June 2020, 02:37:14 »
I am still waiting for my Xeno. Honestly, I won't ever buy anything from Zeal and I will discourage others from doing so.
He is wiping his face with the Chinese manufacturers and as a customer, I don't care. He wanted to go cheap and he ****ed up. Zeal should admit the mistake and find a manufacturer for the rest of the orders in a country, where you don't wait 1.5 years for an order that is arriving in a terrible finish.
The argument that this is how it is in this community is below any level self-respect. A normal company (which Zeal Generation Inc. is) would just give back the money to customers and apologize.

Offline chowbabyloving

« Reply #426 on: Thu, 25 June 2020, 04:45:58 »
I am still waiting for my Xeno. Honestly, I won't ever buy anything from Zeal and I will discourage others from doing so.
He is wiping his face with the Chinese manufacturers and as a customer, I don't care. He wanted to go cheap and he ****ed up. Zeal should admit the mistake and find a manufacturer for the rest of the orders in a country, where you don't wait 1.5 years for an order that is arriving in a terrible finish.
The argument that this is how it is in this community is below any level self-respect. A normal company (which Zeal Generation Inc. is) would just give back the money to customers and apologize.

I don't think this is an issue about Chinese manufacturers as a whole, it's an issue with the specific Chinese manufacturer chosen and Zeal is now supposed to switching to a new manufacturer.

There are plenty of companies that use Chinese manufacturer and do not have excessive delays, as far as I know Keycult and Rama use Chinese manufacturing, with Keycult going local USA in house manufacturer and going to Salvun recently.  The actual Chinese keyboard makers like Gray Studio, Percent Studios, Exclusive, Fox Labs and Matrix Lab seem to be able to produce good products without anything beyond the usual group buy and/or COVID-19 related delays.

Offline skwrn

« Reply #427 on: Wed, 15 July 2020, 01:33:18 »
An update from Zeal. He can't even get samples from manu since MARCH.

Offline MTXjunkie

« Reply #428 on: Wed, 15 July 2020, 08:56:00 »
Oof! I’m sorry to hear that some of you are still waiting. I thought this was done. This is awful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline etong415

« Reply #429 on: Wed, 15 July 2020, 09:54:24 »

I don't think this is an issue about Chinese manufacturers as a whole, it's an issue with the specific Chinese manufacturer chosen and Zeal is now supposed to switching to a new manufacturer.

There are plenty of companies that use Chinese manufacturer and do not have excessive delays, as far as I know Keycult and Rama use Chinese manufacturing, with Keycult going local USA in house manufacturer and going to Salvun recently.  The actual Chinese keyboard makers like Gray Studio, Percent Studios, Exclusive, Fox Labs and Matrix Lab seem to be able to produce good products without anything beyond the usual group buy and/or COVID-19 related delays.
This is F’ing ridiculous, mindblowing incompetence. I work in hardware, so I’m usually understanding when things get delayed. But so many GBs have come and gone since Xeno’s supposed ship date. Are we going to make it to the 2 year mark in delays, Zeal?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #430 on: Wed, 15 July 2020, 13:08:04 »
Believe it or not, I have 3 GBs that are ongoing which have taken substantially longer than this one.  So, it’s not all that crazy.  I mean, it’s totally crazy, but just not as crazy as one might think. 

Offline dwarflemur

« Reply #431 on: Wed, 15 July 2020, 15:06:40 »

This is F’ing ridiculous, mindblowing incompetence. I work in hardware, so I’m usually understanding when things get delayed. But so many GBs have come and gone since Xeno’s supposed ship date. Are we going to make it to the 2 year mark in delays, Zeal?

Yeah, two years is pretty bad, I agree, but I work in hardware too, and what you have to remember is most people on here don't and have no idea what they are doing. Sure you or me could **** out a polished mass produced product in 8 months with a lot of funding, or prototype level thing like most stuff on here is in a few months, but people who don't know what they are doing will take much much longer.
Camp C225 | Norbatouch | ALF X2 + X3 | Orange TKL | CA66 | Leaf 60 | a bunch of others

Offline DukeEsquire

« Reply #432 on: Wed, 15 July 2020, 16:04:37 »
I can't believe the quality of this product and how much it's going for on /r/mm. I guess the Zeal name goes a long way.

The machining quality is basically on par with a run of the mill $300 keyboard.

This doesn't look any better than a Monstargear keyboard.

Offline etong415

« Reply #433 on: Wed, 15 July 2020, 16:08:12 »

Yeah, two years is pretty bad, I agree, but I work in hardware too, and what you have to remember is most people on here don't and have no idea what they are doing. Sure you or me could **** out a polished mass produced product in 8 months with a lot of funding, or prototype level thing like most stuff on here is in a few months, but people who don't know what they are doing will take much much longer.
I agree, which is why I’m usually understanding when GB runners experience delays. But I went with someone like Zeal because they’re not exactly new in the game. I don’t expect product on the level of something backed by a team of experienced engineers, but I did expect them to be as good as some of the other “high end” GB runners in the community

Offline Darknight00z

« Reply #434 on: Tue, 21 July 2020, 18:25:56 »
Looking to buy a spot if anyone doesn't want to wait anymore.

Offline andrewregal

« Reply #435 on: Tue, 21 July 2020, 18:36:04 »
It looks like I somehow got really lucky with this buy, I got my purple xeno back in August and my case doesn't have nearly as many issues as the photos I've seen here. Unfortunately my PCB seems to have died on me. So if anyone who hasn't received their order yet and has an extra PCB they're willing to let go of, please lmk!

It's really a shame how much has gone wrong with this gb. I personally have actually very much enjoyed this board
Discord: andrewregal#7830

Offline skwrn

« Reply #436 on: Mon, 27 July 2020, 12:08:35 »
I'm sorry to hear you are also waiting for your Xeno.
There is no excuse for Zeal actions, especially (as was said by etong415) that he seems to be an experienced seller in the community.

I probably wouldn't be that angry and disappointed, if Zeal was even 10% as transparent and active about the info as Ellipse with his F62 and F77 keyboards. Ellipse is a role model about the prolonging group buy - very informative, shares lots of photos, even suggests faster shipping of keyboards without keycaps so people don't have to wait (and with an additional payment for the shipping he will send keycaps separately when they will be ready).

So yeah, it's like heaven and hell, when I compare Ellipse and Zeal.

Offline Kev

« Reply #437 on: Mon, 12 October 2020, 20:08:56 »
Any update? Still waiting, this is becoming a bit of a joke, at least offer refunds.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #438 on: Mon, 12 October 2020, 20:21:55 »
Last update I saw on discord was anodizing done but waiting to redo PVD on some of the parts.  I'm gonna guess these will start shipping around the end of the year or into next year.  Just a guess though.

Offline skwrn

« Reply #439 on: Wed, 14 October 2020, 02:29:22 »
Zeal is blaming another chinese holidays for the delay. I think he should just get over it and find a professional manu in some normal country, instead of dealing with some unprofessional company that acts like it has a third-world country production standards.

Offline SuddenlyDonkey

« Reply #440 on: Wed, 14 October 2020, 22:11:15 »
Zeal is blaming another chinese holidays for the delay. I think he should just get over it and find a professional manu in some normal country, instead of dealing with some unprofessional company that acts like it has a third-world country production standards.

There's 1.4 Billion Chinese people that probably feel their country is pretty normal. Maybe Zeal could get Salvun to do it! ...but he's in Belgium. I've been to Belgium; those guys are not normal. Have you tried their beer? It's no Bud Light! Also, their capital is Brussels!!!! BRUSSELS!!!! LIKE THE EFFING SPROUT!!!!

Offline etong415

« Reply #441 on: Thu, 15 October 2020, 01:50:28 »
Lmao everywhere has manufacturers that have lower standards, otherwise the people looking for cheaper options outside of Asia would have nowhere to go

Offline skwrn

« Reply #442 on: Sun, 18 October 2020, 10:17:05 »

There's 1.4 Billion Chinese people that probably feel their country is pretty normal. Maybe Zeal could get Salvun to do it! ...but he's in Belgium. I've been to Belgium; those guys are not normal. Have you tried their beer? It's no Bud Light! Also, their capital is Brussels!!!! BRUSSELS!!!! LIKE THE EFFING SPROUT!!!!

Huh, I come from a country located in Europe and I love my special beers that don't taste like water :) Did you know that Belgium has saying that there is one beer for every day of the year? That's how big the variety of this golden beverage is there.
I didn't want to make Chinese people feel bad. The point was that if it's such a big problem with the current manu (that was already changed once from Chinese to another Chinese manu), maybe it would be easier to communicate with somebody from USA or European countries.

Offline aeryxz

• aeboards
« Reply #443 on: Thu, 19 November 2020, 18:29:24 »
N e avail

Offline mrpetrov

« Reply #444 on: Fri, 20 November 2020, 10:42:00 »
N e avail

Zeal mentioned in discord recently that he got notification that pvd was finally done properly and shipping to them this week for approval.

Offline andrewregal

« Reply #445 on: Fri, 20 November 2020, 11:58:06 »
Hey there, if anyone has an extra PCB they could sell me I'd love to take if off your hands!

Please ping me either here or on discord (see signature). Thanks!
Discord: andrewregal#7830

Offline Pwner

• * Maker
  • soon™
    • Ion Keyboards
« Reply #446 on: Fri, 20 November 2020, 21:25:27 »
N e avail

Zeal mentioned in discord recently that he got notification that pvd was finally done properly and shipping to them this week for approval.

Thanks for the update.
Ion | Keycult | Instagram

Offline evidentLEE

« Reply #447 on: Sun, 22 November 2020, 02:20:44 »
It's like kbdfans quality but with a premium price tag. I would think kbdfans are even better.
I'm disappointed with what I received for the price that I paid.

Just got a KDBfans Bella, literally not one flaw. Maybe you've just had bad luck with them, or I've just had good luck.
Give a man a gun, he'll rob a bank. Give a man a bank, he'll rob the world.

Offline thornkin

« Reply #448 on: Tue, 24 November 2020, 23:06:50 »
My xeno seems to be acting up after sitting for a while. When I come back to the computer, it often doesn't work. Unplugging it and plugging it back in seems to fix the issues. Any ideas?

Offline SuddenlyDonkey

« Reply #449 on: Thu, 26 November 2020, 14:27:12 »
My xeno seems to be acting up after sitting for a while. When I come back to the computer, it often doesn't work. Unplugging it and plugging it back in seems to fix the issues. Any ideas?

Have you tried troubleshooting?
  • Try another VIA keyboard? Cable? USB port? Computer?
  • Uninstall keyboard drivers?
  • Keyboard power settings in device manager?