Author Topic: [IC] Nascent | PCB Mounted Leafspring 65% (Updated 01/31/22) GB Announcement  (Read 25891 times)

Offline reticent

WE'RE GOING TO GROUP BUY  :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

(1/31/21 Update)

Hello all, I hope everyone had a good New Year and wishing everyone a good Lunar New Year! It’s been a while but I’m happy to announce that the Group Buy for Nascent will be starting on February 21st. Details for the Group Buy are listed below:
  • When: February 21st – February 25th (or until all units are sold)
  • Where: https:/store.studiokestra.ca
  • Units Available: 90 units (80 public, 10 private)
  • Price: 365CAD + Shipping
  • Cerakote Finishes Available: Moss, Highland Green, Blue Titanium, Armor Black, Satin Aluminum
  • Format: FCFS
  • Timeline: 6 month fulfillment, monthly updates will be provided.
Kit Includes:
  • Nascent
  • Solder PCB
  • Gaskets
  • FR4 Plate
  • Unified Daughterboard + JST Cable
  • Screws
  • Keyboard Bag
  • Microfiber Cloth
The biggest change is moving to full Cerakote, with the issue being I couldn’t find a good enough anodization shop. I know I also promised custom colors for a select few units but with how difficult it is to gauge how a certain Cerakote color would look like without physically seeing the color on a swatch, it would be too hard logistics-wise in satisfying the people who got the custom color units. Therefore, kbye and I decided to fully omit the custom colors option.

Anyways, it’s been a long time coming, and I’m glad this is finally moving on Group Buy phase. Please look forward to it!

Build Stream
This keyboard is not possible without the help of the hobbyists here in Alberta, and I'm proud to have Firewire, a local streamer show off the production version for a build stream!

Updated Overview/Results of First IC (10/08/21)
The most prominent change from the first IC was that people wanted more neutral colors instead of the blue/green. 75 units will then be anodized black/clear (silver), 15 units will be Cerakoted. This and the higher number of units will also help with the price, bringing it down to a target price of 325CAD for the anodized version. Cerakoted units will still be at the target price of 375CAD unfortunately. No longer valid, every surface finish available will be Cerakote.

The next biggest change is switching from polycarbonate to FR-4 plate for the optional plate. My goal for this keyboard is to be plateless and I found that FR4 sounded better anyways if you do use a plate. Furthermore, the Nascent is compatible with typical 65% tray mount plates so its easier to source a polycarbonate plate (i.e. KBDfans, etc.) than an FR-4 plate if anyone wants to experiment with it.

The third biggest change is that I will be running this with kbye from Studio Kestra. He is a good local friend of mine who has supported me with this project from designing the PCB, agreeing to use his storefront, and just giving insight and tips in general. Having someone who has Group Buy experience directly involved in the project will definitely be a boon.

274021-0
273977-1
273979-2
273981-3

Current Phase
Final production version is finished, photos taken, sent to a streamer for a build stream! We're going to group buy boys.

Overview
Nascent (adj.): coming or having recently come into existence.

Inspired by the 7V, the Zephyr, the JER-A06, the TX65, the AKI-S, my inability to win raffles, and my procrastination, the Nascent is a 65% keyboard that utilizes a leaf spring mounting system for those who:
  • want a lower typing angle than 6°
  • like the feel and sound of plateless designs
  • want the USB port on the right side
  • don’t care about fancy weights
  • don’t mind seams
  • like screw holes (like really like them)
I’m looking to see if people are interested in such a board and if I should pursue the project even further.

Layout
268303-4

No hotswap because soldering is easy and I believe in you.
No ISO for now, sorry.

Surface Finish
Two options for the colors with the green being undecided yet. Blue Titanium is confirmed but I'm not sure if everyone would like Moss since it's more olive green or the deeper more vibrant Highland Green. The Cerakote website has better photos of the colors listed below. I have switched a large portion of the planned units to anodized clear (silver) and black. This is to answer the request from a lot of people for more neutral colors and also to reduce price (375CAD -> 325CAD). However! I also kept a portion of the planned units as Cerakote but instead of the 3 colors below, any stock color can be requested. Note: I've only prototyped the three colors below though so I can't guarantee how good it would look like with other colors. We're going full Cerakote, I can't find any good anodization shops. Overall price down from 375CAD -> 365CAD.

268305-5268307-6268309-7281867-8281869-9

Cerakoting will be done by a local shop so I can monitor surface finish better/send back units that fail QC easier.
These colors were chosen because they remind me of the Canadian Pacific Northwest vibe the most.

Round 4 Prototype (Production Version)
Photos taken by @jlai.keebs. Check him out! Production Version is Moss with GMK Bleached and GMK Olive.

281871-10281873-11
281877-12281875-13
281879-14281881-15

Round 3 Prototype
Uses a new manufacturer to fix some glaring issues that the manufacturer for the previous rounds couldn't get right and is going to be the manufacturer I'll be working with if this goes on Group Buy. Production will have QoL minor changes like a longer JST cable, etc. Last two photos of Highland Green built by AidenHero.

268311-16268313-17
273983-18
281902-19
281904-20

Round 2 Prototypes
Units were sent to friends to get their feedback. First photo shown are Blue Titanium and Moss in daylight taken using a Google Pixel 4a. Blue Titanium built by kbye. Moss built by Avi.

268315-21268317-22
273985-23273987-24

Round 1 Prototype
Too scuffed to show and I'm shy.

Discord
kbye has graciously agreed to let me host this board's project log on his server Studio Kestra. This keyboard is a separate entity from the Nue and is my project.

Closing Thoughts
I’m posting this with a geekhack account with <10 posts (I’m more active on Discord), so I get the skepticism, but I hope that this IC shows my commitment to this project.

Special thanks to:
  • kbye, for the support, feedback, and designing the PCB
  • Avi, for constantly bouncing ideas with me and helping me dial it into what it is now
  • Jay for taking photos, let's get Denny's when COVID calms down again
  • Mike for agreeing to show off the prototype on stream and building it!
  • Drew.keys, for the PCB help in earlier prototypes
  • marcokbd for the renders (even though I didn’t end up using it anyways since I changed the design)
  • gok and wilba.tech for the inspiration for the mounting system
  • To everyone who filled out the interest check
  • My family and friends who supported me in this hobby of mine. Love you mom and dad.
Stay safe everyone and please look forward to it.
« Last Edit: Tue, 01 February 2022, 17:38:16 by reticent »

Offline reticent

Re: Nascent | PCB Mounted Leafspring 65%
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 14 May 2021, 02:16:49 »
Reserved, I guess.

Changelog:
10/08/21 - Big update on group buy plans, new photos for Round 2 prototypes and Round 3 prototype.
01/31/22 - New photos, finalized group buy plans, build stream on February 3! Got rid of anodization coz I can't find a good anodization shop, we going full Cerakote.
02/01/22 - Added some other photos of previous builds by friends.
« Last Edit: Tue, 01 February 2022, 17:38:54 by reticent »

Offline kbye

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 14 May 2021, 02:28:50 »
Love the olive green cerakote. Great project that has been in the works for a while, GLWIC!

Offline $W4GK!NG

• Keyboard/Car/Audio Enthusiast
    • Linktree
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 14 May 2021, 02:40:34 »
A very nice price point for a 65% with no weight but daughterboard, also pcb mount ftw, tho I'm not sure how leaf spring it is going to be with the small amount of movement area but I'm very interested!! GLWIC

Edit: also thank you for no hotswap so people actually learn to solder for once

Offline misswaffle

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 14 May 2021, 02:59:58 »
Really lovely project! I always enjoy seeing designs from fellow Canadians and will definitely be following this. I'm also a big fan of the cerakote shades chosen, particularly that blue. GLWIC!

Offline AstralYT

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 14 May 2021, 06:20:48 »
Oooof I am gonna cry if I loose the raffle.

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 Pro using Tapatalk

Offline Ranger_Trivette

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 14 May 2021, 06:34:06 »
are you sure about the leaf design of the pcb?
this doesn't seem a good idea to me :-X
won't it break after a while?

Offline Coby

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 14 May 2021, 06:45:29 »
 I love everything about this board :p would have love the v1 proto chamfers but its oki  :thumb:

Offline Coby

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 14 May 2021, 06:49:50 »

If you place excessive pressure yea....but if you use it with normal force it won’t ;)

Offline godzillq25

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 14 May 2021, 07:32:57 »
man thats alot of screws on the bottom, is there a design reason, coz it seems u should be good with 6-8 rather than 12

Offline o3okevin

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 14 May 2021, 07:50:10 »
lets go

Offline reticent

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 14 May 2021, 07:59:07 »
Love the olive green cerakote. Great project that has been in the works for a while, GLWIC!

Thanks man! It's been a long time coming. Ironic since the name is nascent haha

A very nice price point for a 65% with no weight but daughterboard, also pcb mount ftw, tho I'm not sure how leaf spring it is going to be with the small amount of movement area but I'm very interested!! GLWIC

Edit: also thank you for no hotswap so people actually learn to solder for once

Thank you for checking it out! There's 1mm of clearance from PCB to alu. It seems like very little, but FR4 is a pretty stiff material and I've only seen it hit the aluminum when pressing really hard on it very close to the mounting point.

Really lovely project! I always enjoy seeing designs from fellow Canadians and will definitely be following this. I'm also a big fan of the cerakote shades chosen, particularly that blue. GLWIC!

Thanks waffle! Let's hope people are too as well lmao

Oooof I am gonna cry if I loose the raffle.

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 Pro using Tapatalk

I'm not sure if I'll go raffle or FCFS yet. It will be open sourced as well in the end so if you don't get it, there's always the option to make your own  ;)

FR4 is a pretty stiff material so I think it's fine. I mean if you smash a top mount alu hard enough, it'll bend as well. I've been daily driving the same PCB since early 2021 with no worries.

I love everything about this board :p would have love the v1 proto chamfers but its oki  :thumb:

Thanks man! Reason for changing is because I like to rest my pinkie on the edges and want a more rounded edges to rest it on lol

man thats alot of screws on the bottom, is there a design reason, coz it seems u should be good with 6-8 rather than 12

It could honestly get away with 8 screws but I bumped it up to 12 to keep it symmetrical and to pay a little homage to the Zephyr, a board that stuck out to me when I was starting out.
268336-0

lets go

Yessir let's go let's goooooo

Offline GaNeBaL

« Reply #12 on: Fri, 14 May 2021, 08:18:48 »
nice bord
Obsessed with 60%TKLs

Offline kumori

• polartype
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 14 May 2021, 08:29:58 »
looks sick :thumb:

Offline Draxion

« Reply #14 on: Fri, 14 May 2021, 09:34:25 »
I want

Offline MIGHTY CHICKEN

• buck buck, cluck cluck, squawk squawk
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 14 May 2021, 10:10:01 »
Really loving what I'm seeing here!

Offline jabe8i

« Reply #16 on: Fri, 14 May 2021, 10:54:11 »
Isn't FR4 the main material used in pcbs? It's durable enough to be a common plate material so dont see a problem with it.

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
Re: [IC] Nascent | PCB Mounted Leafspring 65%
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 14 May 2021, 12:18:52 »
I'm not a Plateless lover  I can apprecaiten when people do something nice .  It doesn't have a weight  but given the cerakote and machining intricacy it is not the worst value.

I chose the brown color to write this message because all treeleaves originate from the Saplings. which grow in the Dirt.
 The dirt in the Treeleaf's Forest is very nutritious for the young saplings. Which form the collective entity of the 
  T R E E L E A F
treeleaf64: https://discord.gg/rbUjtsRG6P

This is the cat and pat!!!!!!!!

Offline asciisii

« Reply #18 on: Fri, 14 May 2021, 12:34:53 »
im in

Offline StingrayShuffle

« Reply #19 on: Fri, 14 May 2021, 13:58:40 »
Definitely in. Nice work Reti!

Offline mrkevint

• OK.
« Reply #20 on: Fri, 14 May 2021, 15:52:17 »
I'm definitely interested in this keyboard.

I'm a big fan of PCB-mount boards. My JER-A06 and G80s are my favourites. I also appreciate clean and no-nonsense designs.

Good luck with your interest check. Cheers from a fellow Albertan!

Offline reticent

« Reply #21 on: Sat, 15 May 2021, 10:45:36 »
Thanks for the support everyone and for those who've filled the IC as well! Reddit IC post should be incoming soon. I'm thinking of sending out the 3rd prototype to a streamer to review so if you have any suggestions, please let me know :thumb:

Offline finalarcadia

« Reply #22 on: Sat, 15 May 2021, 11:05:01 »
Cool project. I suggest less screws, just looks more dated.

Offline godofdeath

« Reply #23 on: Sat, 15 May 2021, 19:54:34 »
Aw it has seams in the mid

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Offline Que7797

« Reply #24 on: Mon, 17 May 2021, 15:16:28 »
Looking good so far. My personal preference would also be less case screws, but in any case more PCB Mount boards are always a good thing!

GLWIC!

Offline genevatypes

« Reply #25 on: Mon, 14 June 2021, 03:00:11 »
I understand the theme of the keyboard, regarding the Canadian Pacific Northwest, but the colors are too punchy for my taste.
I like the keycaps to do the work. Maybe having one or two color options silver, grey, or black? If that doesnt happen, I'm more than happy to pick up a blue titanium board, but that would be just my two cents to have more people be interested in this board since the colors are more personal to you.

Offline reticent

Re: [IC] Nascent | PCB Mounted Leafspring 65% (Updated 10/09/21)
« Reply #26 on: Tue, 10 August 2021, 02:22:01 »
Bump! Just updated with new plans for the group buy. Lowering the price to be even more accessible while also keeping the Cerakote option for those that want it was tough but hopefully this should be a nice middle ground. Let me know what you all think with the new IC.

Offline Reindeer

Re: [IC] Nascent | PCB Mounted Leafspring 65% (Updated 10/08/21)
« Reply #27 on: Tue, 10 August 2021, 17:02:06 »
Looks good!

glwic

Offline Complexsy

• clack clack
« Reply #28 on: Tue, 10 August 2021, 19:06:38 »
Love the board! Low angle boards are hard to come by as of late so its very nice to see. Hopefully this first run goes well so more vendors from other regions can offer this and a larger MOQ to keep costs down. Good luck!

Offline reticent

« Reply #29 on: Wed, 11 August 2021, 10:07:38 »
Looks good!

glwic

Thanks man!

Love the board! Low angle boards are hard to come by as of late so its very nice to see. Hopefully this first run goes well so more vendors from other regions can offer this and a larger MOQ to keep costs down. Good luck!

Low angle boards are definitely hard to come by. One of the reasons why I decided to make my own haha. I honestly haven't even considered an R2 with more vendors and a lower price, baby steps for me :P

Offline bobgr8

« Reply #30 on: Fri, 13 August 2021, 16:47:07 »
looks very nice! GL

Offline reticent

Updated with new photos, build stream, updated price, and finally GB date. Let's frickin' go.

Offline o3okevin

poggers

Offline asciisii

glhf

Offline GFWD

Re: [IC] Nascent | PCB Mounted Leafspring 65% (Updated 01/31/22) GB Announcement
« Reply #34 on: Wed, 02 February 2022, 19:12:39 »
I am ready. Moss green continues to be my favorite.

Offline Nonnegaard

Re: [IC] Nascent | PCB Mounted Leafspring 65% (Updated 01/31/22) GB Announcement
« Reply #35 on: Thu, 03 February 2022, 07:09:29 »
thats kinda hot.
Aeon, TGR Jane V2, Dolphin 2021, Gherkin, Model M, 5°, NCR80, M0110-A

Offline reticent

« Reply #36 on: Fri, 04 February 2022, 18:42:40 »
poggers
poggers to you to Kevin

glhf

:cool: you know it bro, thanks for the support man!

I am ready. Moss green continues to be my favorite.

Honestly same, Moss is still my favourite color.

thats kinda hot.

no u  :cool:

Thanks everyone who tuned in for the stream! I'm gonna work with Firewire to get a proper typing test on Youtube so I can embed it to this post.

Offline GFWD

« Reply #37 on: Thu, 10 February 2022, 12:29:30 »
I watched the build stream and the board looks great!

I also just found (and watched) the build stream VOD highlights on Firewire's Youtube channel: https://youtu.be/Qc9O_gj5xR8

Nice to have the shorter summary video to watch, thanks Firewire!

Offline Keeblet_257

« Reply #38 on: Thu, 10 February 2022, 12:45:40 »
thats a lot of screws
btw "my inability to win raffles" I feel you, welcome to the club

Offline ylothar

• Yo Ho Ho!
    • KEEB.it
« Reply #39 on: Thu, 10 February 2022, 15:20:36 »
Very very beautiful board and very concrete.

I will not participate but only because there is no ISO support: GLWGB :thumb:
«How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?»

Offline Kinesiologist

« Reply #40 on: Sat, 12 February 2022, 21:28:19 »
so cute

Offline GFWD

« Reply #41 on: Mon, 14 February 2022, 15:54:28 »
The Nascent was on BlackSimon's IC/GB stream: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1297885439?t=00h25m04s

for those that might want to hear his thoughts.

Offline Belled

• I like shoobs
« Reply #42 on: Mon, 14 February 2022, 19:02:20 »
I like the choice with not adding a weight

Offline vkeycaps

• Artisan keycaps maker
    • Website/Store
« Reply #43 on: Tue, 15 February 2022, 06:00:57 »
I love when PCB has it's own design. Although you wouldn't see it most of the time.

Offline hkhawk

« Reply #44 on: Tue, 15 February 2022, 17:10:29 »
What is the final typing angle?

Offline reticent

« Reply #45 on: Thu, 17 February 2022, 18:46:37 »
I watched the build stream and the board looks great!

I also just found (and watched) the build stream VOD highlights on Firewire's Youtube channel: https://youtu.be/Qc9O_gj5xR8

Nice to have the shorter summary video to watch, thanks Firewire!

thank you so much for the support dude honestly. Firewire did a great job, I owe him dinner one day haha!

thats a lot of screws
btw "my inability to win raffles" I feel you, welcome to the club

All screwholes are beautiful. And yeah, honestly, why buy aftermarket when I can spend it on prototyping instead because I can never win any raffles? lmao

Very very beautiful board and very concrete.

I will not participate but only because there is no ISO support: GLWGB :thumb:

Honestly yeah, the amount of people that wanted ISO support based on the IC was just too low to justify an ISO PCB. Making the PCB both ANSI/ISO made it difficult since this is supposed to be built plateless.

I like the choice with not adding a weight

Thank you! I like to actually bring my boards around without breaking my back. Even the massive cut on the back was to reduce the weight even further.

I love when PCB has it's own design. Although you wouldn't see it most of the time.

I do too. it's a treat to see whenever I exchange the keycaps for something else.

What is the final typing angle?

Final typing angle is 4.75degrees!

Offline GFWD

« Reply #46 on: Tue, 22 February 2022, 11:34:54 »
So excited I got one of these in "moss".

Firewire keyboards also released a typing test video: https://youtu.be/UROVIpm2xNg

Offline Cherizo

« Reply #47 on: Wed, 23 February 2022, 11:43:10 »
In for Highland Green! It'll probably arrive before my GMK Botanical 2 set does. Excited for this board - thanks so much for making it.

Offline GFWD

« Reply #48 on: Fri, 25 February 2022, 10:54:40 »
Apiary and Alexotos took a look at the Nascent on their group buy review last night:

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1406933035?t=1h7m30s