Author Topic: Where do I find a Titanium Spacebar?  (Read 5039 times)

Offline KuhnTang

• Game of Thrones
Where do I find a Titanium Spacebar?
« on: Sat, 22 December 2012, 02:10:11 »
I've seen a few here and there and they look pretty cool.  Other than a group buy that as long since been over I've never seen them for sale anywhere.  Does anyone know where to find them?

For those that have them.  Is it worth it?  Does the metal feel weird when typing?  Does it mess up your switches/keyboard in any way?

thanks

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
Re: Where do I find a Titanium Spacebar?
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 22 December 2012, 02:33:57 »
I've seen a few here and there and they look pretty cool.  Other than a group buy that as long since been over I've never seen them for sale anywhere.  Does anyone know where to find them?

For those that have them.  Is it worth it?  Does the metal feel weird when typing?  Does it mess up your switches/keyboard in any way?

thanks

I'm not sure if Feng is going to run another buy for them, I'm sure enough people would be interested if that did happen though.
The metal thunk sound as awesome, especially on a plate mounted board.

Worth it? Yes. Expensive, but hey, you're typing with titanium! Feel weird? Yes, but in a good way. Slightly colder on the touch, and again just makes a louder 'tock' noise. And in now way does it mess up your switches or keyboard. It fits on the same as any other spacebar.

If you want to test something similar out before taking the plunge, there should be another group buy soon with the aluminium spacebars. They are a quarter the cost and almost as nice. The one benefit to aluminium, is they will be available in multiple colours in the next buy.

Offline Kruen

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 22 December 2012, 02:42:02 »
Is it possible to get full aluminium sets? I've seen 37 key sets but never a full 87 key set.

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
Where do I find a Titanium Spacebar?
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 22 December 2012, 02:55:32 »
Is it possible to get full aluminium sets? I've seen 37 key sets but never a full 87 key set.

I believe the only full Aluminium set was the Scarface set. Longweight is the only person I know of on here with a set. They are very expensive. Especially if you were to look for one secondhand.
If you want full metal for cheaper, the recent zinc group buy is a very nice set.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 22 December 2012, 03:00:59 »
Whoo go metal keycaps!

Offline longweight

• philanthropist
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 22 December 2012, 03:05:39 »

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
Re: Re: Where do I find a Titanium Spacebar?
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 22 December 2012, 03:07:20 »
Show Image

whoo nice, also did you keyboard have a fun day at the park?

Offline Kruen

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 22 December 2012, 07:10:37 »

I believe the only full Aluminium set was the Scarface set. Longweight is the only person I know of on here with a set. They are very expensive. Especially if you were to look for one secondhand.
If you want full metal for cheaper, the recent zinc group buy is a very nice set.

How is the zinc in terms of quality and feel, compared to the Aluminium?

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 22 December 2012, 08:19:57 »

How is the zinc in terms of quality and feel, compared to the Aluminium?
you would have to ask lohweight that as hes the only one with most of the board being aluminum but i dint think haes tried a board of Zinc v2's

Offline longweight

• philanthropist
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 22 December 2012, 08:30:35 »
I had zinc V1 and they were crap, they felt nowhere near as nice as the scarface aluminium caps.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 22 December 2012, 08:31:48 »
I had zinc V1 and they were crap, they felt nowhere near as nice as the scarface aluminium caps.
i agree with them feeling now where near as nice and im just comparing to zinc v2

Offline Vintage

« Reply #11 on: Sat, 22 December 2012, 11:41:27 »
Feng sells the aluminium MKC spacebars on Ebay, but if you want titanium, I would ask Feng if he will do a round 2 GB.

BTW, I would think that people like metal caps because it makes the feel of the switch feel smoother and lighter? Or is the texture supposed to be good too?
CM QFR w/ MX Reds  | Logitech G900

Offline KuhnTang

• Game of Thrones
« Reply #12 on: Sat, 22 December 2012, 12:12:37 »

thanks

I'm not sure if Feng is going to run another buy for them, I'm sure enough people would be interested if that did happen though.

Worth it? Yes. Expensive, but hey, you're typing with titanium! Feel weird? Yes, but in a good way. Slightly colder on the touch, and again just makes a louder 'tock' noise. And in now way does it mess up your switches or keyboard. It fits on the same as any other spacebar.

If you want to test something similar out before taking the plunge, there should be another group buy soon with the aluminium spacebars. They are a quarter the cost and almost as nice. The one benefit to aluminium, is they will be available in multiple colours in the next buy.

Does that mean that titanium is not available in multiple colors?  Or is it that they're so expensive, the group buy will only support one color?

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #13 on: Sat, 22 December 2012, 12:25:43 »

thanks

Does that mean that titanium is not available in multiple colors?  Or is it that they're so expensive, the group buy will only support one color?
its one color titanium but has different finishes

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #14 on: Sun, 23 December 2012, 01:58:03 »
Polished, sandblasted, and brushed. They also came in OEM/SP/Cherry profile and WK/WKL length (6X/7X)
I use mine every day (when I'm at home) and I enjoy it. I know someone bought three, but I don't know if any of the GB participants would want to sell theirs. To be sure I expect it to keep it's value if I every should want to sell it, so you can expect to pay $110+ for one.

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #15 on: Sun, 23 December 2012, 02:01:21 »
I got two of them, one shiny and one brushed. I wish I would have gotten a sandblasted over the shiny. It picks up thumb prints really easily, which I guess I should have expected.

Anyways, I love them both and if Feng did run another GB, I'd sell you my shiny one to get a sandblasted one instead :D
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline longweight

• philanthropist
« Reply #16 on: Sun, 23 December 2012, 04:44:08 »
Feng sells the aluminium MKC spacebars on Ebay, but if you want titanium, I would ask Feng if he will do a round 2 GB.

BTW, I would think that people like metal caps because it makes the feel of the switch feel smoother and lighter? Or is the texture supposed to be good too?

And it changes the sound :) The caps are also lovely and cold :)

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #17 on: Thu, 27 December 2012, 02:49:33 »

texture for me

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #18 on: Sat, 29 December 2012, 05:43:13 »
I love my titanium space bar. It's even more special because it was only sold once and can't be bought anywhere els.

Offline longweight

• philanthropist
« Reply #19 on: Sat, 29 December 2012, 06:06:29 »

texture for me

And that :)

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #20 on: Sun, 06 January 2013, 14:48:10 »
Why would you want a titanium spacebar? Titanium spacebars are stupid. Nobody needs titanium spacebars.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
« Reply #21 on: Sun, 06 January 2013, 14:52:17 »
Why would you want a titanium spacebar? Titanium spacebars are stupid. Nobody needs titanium spacebars.
Why would you want IE6? IE6 is stupid. Nobody needs IE6. :))

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #22 on: Sun, 06 January 2013, 14:56:56 »
Well, IE6 is more useful than a titanium spacebar.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
« Reply #23 on: Sun, 06 January 2013, 15:00:03 »
Beauty to the eyes of the beholder. ;) I was simply trolling the troll post. Glad to see you're still kicking MW. :))

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #24 on: Mon, 07 January 2013, 10:09:51 »
IE6 is more useful than no web browser at all, just like titanium spacebar is more useful than no spacebar. Most of the people who got one have made an aesthetic choice, sort of like pitting a custom skin on your IE9 to make it look like IE6 (I prefer the looks of IE6, so I can see myself doing this).

I got mine because it's better in torsion, and has much higher corrosion resistance than most metals and almost all polymers.