Author Topic: It Burnt Down :(  (Read 3320 times)

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
It Burnt Down :(
« on: Tue, 16 April 2019, 02:13:23 »
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-47941794

I'm actually so sad  :(
It will take at least a dozen of years to be put back together.
Azerty Propagandiste

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
Re: It Burnt Down :(
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 16 April 2019, 02:44:28 »
It really makes you consider those things we take for granted and think will stand forever just because they've stood till now.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 16 April 2019, 03:21:10 »
The building is not down. That's overreacting. The wooden roof and spire has burned and weakened and pierced the vaulted stone ceiling underneath.

The big question is how much damage there is and how much effort there would be to fix it., which might take some time to assess. The interior appears to have been largely undamaged and all major artifacts have been saved. But the ceiling is weakened and will have to be carefully stabilised and repaired in some places. There have been contradictory reports about its famous glass windows.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/apr/16/notre-dame-fire-investigators-seek-cause-of-cathedral-blaze-paris

Thankfully, the ceiling has been very well documented. It has even been laser-scanned down to a precision of 5 mm:
https://arstechnica.com/science/2019/04/notre-dame-cathedral-will-never-be-the-same-but-it-can-be-rebuilt/
« Last Edit: Tue, 16 April 2019, 07:26:48 by Findecanor »

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 16 April 2019, 07:18:54 »
As I understand it, fire and heat damages marble even if it doesn't cause it to break or crumble, so I am wondering how that can be evaluated. Perhaps the reconstruction will take into account some way to take weight off of the outer walls.
Cognitive distortions are patterns of thought, typically automatic and unconscious, that cause an inaccurate, negative view of situations, people, and/or events. These include things like jumping to conclusions; black-and-white thinking; negative mental filtering; overgeneralizing; mindreading (incorrectly believing we know what others are thinking, what their motives are); and emotional reasoning (believing that if we are feeling something, or if what we are thinking is associated with a strong emotion, it must be true).
- Scott Jansenn 2024-04-07

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 16 April 2019, 07:49:11 »
This played out like something a Super-Villain would do before they announced a secondary evil plot..

Some 'Spiracy theoriest suggest, this is no mistake as it coincides with the Yellow Vests/Yellow Jackets movement.

It is possible that the French Wealthy have engineered the extravagant event to dim/ shift national focus away from Financial Reform/ Economic Inequality.

The Yellow Vests movement centers around:

- Solidarity tax on the wealthy
- Minimum wage increase
- Citizen Initiative Referendum (Direct Democracy)
- Resignation of Emmanuel Macron (President o'France)
- Reduced Fuel Price

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 16 April 2019, 08:45:09 »
For me that would be very crazy if they were to burn it down just to avoid Macron from doing the speech last night.
It wasn't that big of a speech, and yellow vests knew it was gonna be a bull**** speech again.

You did a good job on narrowing down the requests of Yellow vests.
« Last Edit: Tue, 16 April 2019, 08:56:23 by azhdar »
Azerty Propagandiste

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 16 April 2019, 09:44:10 »
I think Everything in the Yellow Vest demands is well balanced.

The only issue I think needs to be more thought upon is the Solidarity tax.

The bar seems to be set too low, for ~$1,000,000 in assets.

Too many people fit that description, and they got there through REAL Hard-work.

I believe if such a tax was instituted, it should be at the lvl of $20,000,000 and above.

A point where, no amount of personal hard-work can achieve. at this asset lvl, such person HAS to be exploiting workers under-him to accrue such wealth.

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 16 April 2019, 09:58:29 »
It's been rumored that Macron wanted to create a more progressive tax system.
Right now you're taxed starting from 14% or you're not.
He wanted to create 5% or 10% taxing for the one with low revenue that would make sense I think.

The thing is that Macron got rid of the Tax on Wealth : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solidarity_tax_on_wealth last year.
That's why he's called "The president of the Bankers" or "The president of the wealthy".
Azerty Propagandiste

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 16 April 2019, 10:14:22 »
Truly tragic. So sad for the loss of such a beautiful landmark and piece of architecture in the world.

It certainly can be rebuilt, but it's a shame the fire happened at all.

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 16 April 2019, 10:40:39 »

The thing is that Macron got rid of the Tax on Wealth : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solidarity_tax_on_wealth last year.
That's why he's called "The president of the Bankers" or "The president of the wealthy".

Every president, is president of the Bankers.

I think there should be a solidarity tax, but at the 20,000,000 lvl.

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 16 April 2019, 11:06:45 »

Every president, is president of the Bankers.

I think there should be a solidarity tax, but at the 20,000,000 lvl.

yes But some try to hide it at least.
Azerty Propagandiste

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 16 April 2019, 22:06:37 »
An amazing piece of history damaged, but hopefully not lost.  You have my deepest sympathy.

Apparently the stonework is still fairly sound, and was already being repaired due to crumbling under the onslaught of pollution.  Hopefully the restoration will resolve both issues at the same time.

Much of the interior is relatively undamaged, and many of the artworks and relics were saved.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ